hulika

Author Topic: BALOOZE.....IN THE POCKET (YouTube Video)  (Read 2619 times)

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
BALOOZE.....IN THE POCKET (YouTube Video)
« on: October 12, 2006, 10:40:35 PM »
This is one of those nights when everything just clicked and everyone's in the zone. Riki Gonzales on guitar and Bong Gonzales on bass. Recorded live at Mag:Net on Katipunan Rd. in Quezon City (Philippines).

http://www.balooze.com

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 11:54:01 PM »
Nice tight groove there ..

Rikki is definitely one of the undisputed masters of the jazz/rock/blues genre here in Manila..

And Bong's groove .. wow! Sounds like Marcus Miller ..

Thanks for posting this, tonetemple..

By the way, are you a good friend of Rikki's?
"No static at all ..."

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 02:13:42 AM »
WOW....GROOVY!!!!! =D>  =D>  =D>
black moon creeping...

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
Nice tight groove there ..

Rikki is definitely one of the undisputed masters of the jazz/rock/blues genre here in Manila..

And Bong's groove .. wow! Sounds like Marcus Miller ..

Thanks for posting this, tonetemple..

By the way, are you a good friend of Rikki's?

Yup!  Not only is he a good friend of mine, we're also managing partners at ToneQuest Studios.  So, in case you guys have a need to record or simply rehearse, just contact Riki (0917-511-5471) and he'll give you a great deal.

BTW, just a heads up, we will be setting up a contest in the next few weeks for all PhilMusic readers.  Winner of which will get a free 2-hour recording session at the studio, including sound engineer time.   We'll be doing this periodically.  So keep on reading.

Namaste.  Peace to all.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »
Hey, that's great!

Are you a guitar player as well?

Please tell him Tinnie sends his regards. I drop by your studio from time to time whenever he has some stuff for sale.
"No static at all ..."

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 12:41:38 PM »
Wow, nice solo there, good build up. Did Rikki used to play with Parliament Syndicate? He reminds me of their bald guitar player ...

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 01:39:30 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Wow, nice solo there, good build up. Did Rikki used to play with Parliament Syndicate? He reminds me of their bald guitar player ...

yup, he did.  a lot of people thought he only played pogi jazz, when on the contrary, he'd rather play fusion, blues and bop.  sometimes, to make ends meet, people have had to compromise at one point or another.  that reminds me of a photograph of ansel adams taking an elementary class photo with the caption "even great photographers have earn a living".

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 01:48:03 PM »
Quote from: tone_temple

yup, he did.  a lot of people thought he only played pogi jazz, when on the contrary, he'd rather play fusion, blues and bop.  sometimes, to make ends meet, people have had to compromise at one point or another.  that reminds me of a photograph of ansel adams taking an elementary class photo with the caption "even great photographers have earn a living".

Whoa, meant no disrespect to Parliament Syndicate - I enjoyed their gigs a lot, I even have their indie CD :)

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 07:16:55 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Quote from: tone_temple

Whoa, meant no disrespect to Parliament Syndicate - I enjoyed their gigs a lot, I even have their indie CD :)

Oh, no worries.  No offense taken :D . What I meant was the Parliament gigs didn't really encompass the range of Riki's musicianship.  I had listened to some of the cuts on the Parliament CD, and they were all great songs.  However, I used to jam w/ Riki back when we were in college, and I know what he's capable of.

I remember what he told me one time about how some bar owners used to tell him to tone it down a bit.  That's why I'm glad there are places like Mag:Net, Conspiracy, Hobbit House and Freedom Bar that will let musicians blow as much as they want and not worry about the bottom line.   These places deserve the support of the community for daring to exhibit the artistic endeavors of local musicians.