hulika

Author Topic: Magaling sa recording, sabit-sabit sa live.  (Read 28555 times)

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Magaling sa recording, sabit-sabit sa live.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2007, 09:15:19 PM »
Di sabit sabit.. pero vocals are worst than the cd

HALE

Offline ultramagnus

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2007, 02:04:32 AM »
Basta ang The Dawn, Wolfgang, Razorback walang sabit nung napanood ko! Astig!

Si Ely and Rico magaling na composers pero bokyang singers.
I change by not changing at all...

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »

Si Rico bokya na singer pero da best ang kasama nya....
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline ultramagnus

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »

Si Rico bokya na singer pero da best ang kasama nya....

KOREK ka jan bro! Mike Elgar has always been the best since high school days pa namin sa Ateneo!
I change by not changing at all...

Offline myk

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 04:59:48 PM »
Pero in my own opinion depende yun sa nakikinig. Iba iba naman yung taste ng tai sa music. If yung audience ay listener lang, maaring maging iba yung dating sa kanila yung banda(kapag nagtweak or iniba yug song) kapag live pero kapag yung listener naman maaring ASTIG yung version na yun kasi Iba nga naman.

Example: Nung mga 1st year high skul ako may chance na napanood ko yung E-heads ng Live, Sobrang Fanatic ako nun and that time nagaaral na ako ng guitara nun particularly mga songs nila. Technically hindi pa ako ganun ka enhance at ka update about sa technology nun. So nung napanood ko sila medyo nafrustrate ako dahil nagtataka ako bakit iba sila sa live, Katulad ng ALAPAAP, medyo kakaiba yung effects na ginamit nila, knowing E-heads lalu na si Raymond ay mahilig sila magexpreiment during live. Pero recently napanood ko yung playback ng tugtog ng E-heads sa PBA at i think mga 90's yung dahil medyo payat pa sila at mukhang bata at dun mas naapreciate ko sila ng husto kasi dahil sa innovation at astig pala yung mga ginagwa nila... so in my point it really depends sa nakikinig.. In terms of voice naman siguro ok naman kahit d maganda bsta as long as na ok yung diction, phrasing ng kanta at syempre yung nilalaman nito.. D b sa recording kapg show band usually ang mahalaga dun ay yung voice quality unlike sa rock or typical band ang mahalaga ay yung chemistry ng band...  :mrgreen:
I have your mascara on my sleep

van13

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »
well, in my opinion, mganda kung the same quality sa cd ung sound quality ng artist,.kc pra skin, mhrap ulitn un settings ng band n gnwa nla sa recording lalo n kung ibang venue at mas lalo n kung hnd gnon kganda un sound system s venues, im talking about the gigs in the provinces na pinupunthan ng ibang kilalang artist,,dun masusubukan un pgiging flexible at consistency ng banda,well is a big challenge for me,..and at the same time,pra mpakita n cla tlga un gumawa nun ng wlang daya at mrinig mo tlga un style nla(or should i say "trademark ")and how they perform or how do it(for some instance),.mas astig kung mrinig mo ng walang sabit un tugtog nla with matching showmanship and to the highest level na perfomance!! :-D

on the other hand, there is nothing wrong kung ibahin un some parts or vatiations ng kanta,.kc syempre mkakasawa dn un paulit-ulit un na pgkanta of a certain song,.syempre mkikta mo rin at mririnig n hnd lng pla un un kaya o pwede nyang gwin.,.sometimes or even most of the time i ask to my self,pwede pla un? :?

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 04:45:48 AM »
From my experience, I remember the following things when I'm listening to another band's live gig or album, and i find differences:

1) The studio is a controlled environment.
A live setup has a lot of factors. When I record in the studio, I go through a preamp that goes to a line-in for digital tracking. From there, the sound can be digitally enhanced. In a live setting, I've had the sheer "joy" of having to play anywhere from a PA line-in to a really ratty practice bass amp that doesn't even have a brand name. It's difficult to emulate my bass sound on the album with stuff like that. If we play a gig where there is a nice bass amp, I am very thankful. however, that's not the case with a lot of places nowadays.

On the other hand, there are sound overtones and dynamics that are still difficult or impossible to replicate in a studio - some people have voices or instrumental sounds that simply are much better live.

2) In a studio, there is no ambient noise, no bad acoustics to make hearing other bandmates difficult.
A lot of times, there isn't even a decently working set of monitors. There are times when I can't hear the vocals, can't hear the rhythm guitar or can't hear the lead. A lot of times I have to rely on the drums. That's great for keeping time, but not so great when it comes down to the dynamics of a song. Playing live is a dynamic situation, and I make the best of it as I can.

Sometimes, too, the live environment can be better than a studio, in the sense that you get a room or bar that simply sounds good, or sounds good with your band's music. Panalo yun.

3) In the studio, one can get in the mood or one can create the mood to make music.
In a live situation, one makes do with what the place gives in terms of ambience. Recently I played a gig in a bar in malate that had a strobe light flashing non-stop. it was annoying as hell, and yes, we had to make do since the management apparently did not think of turning off the damn thing, or even want to, it seems.

But then, there are places that are simply a joy to play in, and make for a good atmosphere.

4) There are days, and there are days.
If I can't nail a song or a passage of a song in the studio in one session, most of the time, I have the luxury of coming back to it some other time. What you hear on an album is the best take for an instrumental or vocal line of a song. When it's live, there's no "net". But i find that a positive challenge, since it's a chance for me to either stretch out or play really tight, depending on the mood.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to nail a song or a performance right - a lot of musicians can do it, and it can be a matter of skill on the live performance, or a matter of what they did put down to a permanent record as the version of their song (or a song, for covers).

But it's also a matter of how the band's philosophy is when it comes to album recordings and live performances - some bands just think of the album recording as a guidepost to their live versions, others think of it as something they have to be able to do live; for others, the studio environment allows them to make the "ultimate" version of the song, but not necessarily a version that can be done live. Some don't even think about it - a recording is for the album, and they do something different live. For some bands, it's possible that the songs they made for an album are stuff they can't do live due to lack of live performance skills, or inexperience; for others, they put down a simplified version of a song on the album, which they jazz up live. Maraming permutations ang ganiyan.

There are bands that simply do not perform well live, but have great recordings. Other bands are great live, but suck in the studio. Some are good at both. and some are, well, not good at either.

So, take it as it is. Some bands are great live, some are great in the studio, some are good in both, and some aren't good in any situation. If you like a band's studio work, but not their live, then listen to the album, don't go to the gig. If another band is great live, but suck in the studio...well, go to the gigs, but keep a studio album of theirs as a reference, and hope that they come out with a live album. if a band is good at both, then by all means watch them and buy their album and make sure you have backups and videos, too. and if the band isn't good in both, then ask yourself why you're listening to them willingly (if you are). Maybe the songs are really good - and that's another thing entirely.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:51:50 AM by BassCog »

Offline The D

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 05:03:07 AM »
From my experience, I remember the following things when I'm listening to another band's live gig or album, and i find differences:

1) The studio is a controlled environment.
A live setup has a lot of factors. When I record in the studio, I go through a preamp that goes to a line-in for digital tracking. From there, the sound can be digitally enhanced. In a live setting, I've had the sheer "joy" of having to play anywhere from a PA line-in to a really ratty practice bass amp that doesn't even have a brand name. It's difficult to emulate my bass sound on the album with stuff like that. If we play a gig where there is a nice bass amp, I am very thankful. however, that's not the case with a lot of places nowadays.

On the other hand, there are sound overtones and dynamics that are still difficult or impossible to replicate in a studio - some people have voices or instrumental sounds that simply are much better live.

2) In a studio, there is no ambient noise, no bad acoustics to make hearing other bandmates difficult.
A lot of times, there isn't even a decently working set of monitors. There are times when I can't hear the vocals, can't hear the rhythm guitar or can't hear the lead. A lot of times I have to rely on the drums. That's great for keeping time, but not so great when it comes down to the dynamics of a song. Playing live is a dynamic situation, and I make the best of it as I can.

Sometimes, too, the live environment can be better than a studio, in the sense that you get a room or bar that simply sounds good, or sounds good with your band's music. Panalo yun.

3) In the studio, one can get in the mood or one can create the mood to make music.
In a live situation, one makes do with what the place gives in terms of ambience. Recently I played a gig in a bar in malate that had a strobe light flashing non-stop. it was annoying as hell, and yes, we had to make do since the management apparently did not think of turning off the damn thing, or even want to, it seems.

But then, there are places that are simply a joy to play in, and make for a good atmosphere.

4) There are days, and there are days.
If I can't nail a song or a passage of a song in the studio in one session, most of the time, I have the luxury of coming back to it some other time. What you hear on an album is the best take for an instrumental or vocal line of a song. When it's live, there's no "net". But i find that a positive challenge, since it's a chance for me to either stretch out or play really tight, depending on the mood.

I'm not saying that it's impossible to nail a song or a performance right - a lot of musicians can do it, and it can be a matter of skill on the live performance, or a matter of what they did put down to a permanent record as the version of their song (or a song, for covers).

But it's also a matter of how the band's philosophy is when it comes to album recordings and live performances - some bands just think of the album recording as a guidepost to their live versions, others think of it as something they have to be able to do live; for others, the studio environment allows them to make the "ultimate" version of the song, but not necessarily a version that can be done live. Some don't even think about it - a recording is for the album, and they do something different live. For some bands, it's possible that the songs they made for an album are stuff they can't do live due to lack of live performance skills, or inexperience; for others, they put down a simplified version of a song on the album, which they jazz up live. Maraming permutations ang ganiyan.

There are bands that simply do not perform well live, but have great recordings. Other bands are great live, but suck in the studio. Some are good at both. and some are, well, not good at either.

So, take it as it is. Some bands are great live, some are great in the studio, some are good in both, and some aren't good in any situation. If you like a band's studio work, but not their live, then listen to the album, don't go to the gig. If another band is great live, but suck in the studio...well, go to the gigs, but keep a studio album of theirs as a reference, and hope that they come out with a live album. if a band is good at both, then by all means watch them and buy their album and make sure you have backups and videos, too. and if the band isn't good in both, then ask yourself why you're listening to them willingly (if you are). Maybe the songs are really good - and that's another thing entirely.

I agree with everything you said bro. You pretty much nailed it.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
obviously, hindi mo pwedeng i-cut yung mga bagay bagay kapag live na. expected na minsan sa live na hindi ganun kaganda yung performance compared sa cd. pero minsan, minsan sa live mo una makikita, tapos dun mo hahanapin yung cd, diba?

sabit-sabit, maraming reason yan, hindi naman nila pwedeng sabihin na may lagnat sila o paos sila kaya ganun boses nila, di nila pwede sabihin na, nagbreak kasi kami ng gf/bf ko e kaya ang lungkot ko ngayon at hindi ako makadala yung audience dahil sarili ko ngang mood hindi ko mabago e. so, hindi ibig sabihin na porket abnoy yung performance nila sa live, hindi na sila magaling.

pero shempre.. tama rin yung iba rito, na dapat pag live mas maganda, kasi yun yung mismong galing nila e, walang engineers, walang magsasabi na mali yung vocals, walang magpapaulit, so dito mo makikita talaga yung kung ano at sino yung naririnig mo sa cd. minsan, badtrip lang talaga pag hindi tumama yung narinig mo sa cd at yung napanood mong live.

di ko alam kung ano point ko dito, pero yun na nga.  :roll:

Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 08:00:40 AM »
di ako the killers fan pero try to watch their live performances lalo na yung sa saturday night live... mismong mismo pati yung mga maliliit na detalyeng singit na synth andun ginagawa ng vocalist... lalo na yung boses nung vocalist mismong mismo sa live and recording
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:01:48 AM by bugoy »

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 09:49:49 AM »
I think we have to discuss two terms here: ARRANGEMENT and PERFORMANCE.

The arrangement you hear in most commercial recordings comprise of numerous layers (kaya pala may Gts. 7 & 8 sa Guitar TAB  :-o )  and of course, a lot of error correction which employs punch-ins, pitch correction, and worse is GHOST PLAYERS.   :x

I have no qualms about having the BESTESTEST recording with uber-lush layering but I always long for A GOOD LIVE PERFORMANCE.  I mean, a regular person cannot tell the difference between 8 guitar track layers on record vs. 2 guitar players playing live, if they performed well.  And most especially, a vocalist should do his job - sing how he does it in the recording, or even exceed it.  If you heard Up Dharma Down live (provided she can hear herself clearly through the PA) you'll be asskicked.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2007, 10:14:09 AM »
yep updharma down ang galing... noting nag ke keyboards pa siya pag live ang galing galing talaga

Offline SuperWeak!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2007, 10:18:45 AM »
Incubus pag live parang Cd

Mr. Big din da best!!!

e ung P.O.D. napanood nyo ng live CRAP!!!wlang kakwentang kwenta!! :-D

Offline art_attack16

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2007, 10:57:50 AM »
lets change the term BOKYANG singers..

sabhin na lang natin na di pasok boses nya.. bamboo parin ako sa vocals

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
I think we have to discuss two terms here: ARRANGEMENT and PERFORMANCE.

The arrangement you hear in most commercial recordings comprise of numerous layers (kaya pala may Gts. 7 & 8 sa Guitar TAB  :-o )  and of course, a lot of error correction which employs punch-ins, pitch correction, and worse is GHOST PLAYERS.   :x

I have no qualms about having the BESTESTEST recording with uber-lush layering but I always long for A GOOD LIVE PERFORMANCE.  I mean, a regular person cannot tell the difference between 8 guitar track layers on record vs. 2 guitar players playing live, if they performed well.  And most especially, a vocalist should do his job - sing how he does it in the recording, or even exceed it.  If you heard Up Dharma Down live (provided she can hear herself clearly through the PA) you'll be asskicked.

I agree with you there; as a person in a band, I also look for great performances live - but again, the idea of what is a great live performance is mutable - from Nirvana to Tower of Power, from Bob Dylan to Sting, from Eraserheads to Razorback. It also depends on who is listening to them, combined with who they are targeting as their listeners. Personally, I like killer live bands like Up Dharma Down (played in a gig with them as one of the acts - GALING), Sandwich (our company hired them for a show - even the old corpos loved them), and Sin.

but yeah, some bands are just really bad onstage - to which point, I hope that they're good in the studio, and have some damn good songs to redeem their lack of skill. and we're not even talking about bands like White Stripes, for whom lack of skill is sometimes part of the charm, or Bob Dylan, for whom the message is all that matters.

One thing that i remember clearly is that I was watching a live performance on TV of At the Drive-in, and man, that's a lot of crazy stuff right there - technically, it was a disaster, from certain points of view. But the thing is, the energy they poured out is amazing!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "magaling sa recording, sabit-sabit sa live" is at best, a subjective thing.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2007, 04:22:26 PM »
ang rivermaya kaya pag live si Rico Blanco ibang iba boses hahaha puro piyok saka wala palagi sa tono madalas dinadaan na lang sa sigaw tapos kunyari inaara yung boses para hindi obvious na di kaya  :-D ... puro studio magic

hindi ko alam na wala sa tono ni Coric's ah.

hmm..

okay naman yun pagkanta niya sa acoustic live nila sa music museum.  mahirap siguro retoke iyon.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline toybitz

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2007, 04:28:24 PM »

re:  Wolfgang?  hmm, ako sa experience ko watching them.  mejo sabit si Manoy.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »
ang rivermaya kaya pag live si Rico Blanco ibang iba boses hahaha puro piyok saka wala palagi sa tono madalas dinadaan na lang sa sigaw tapos kunyari inaara yung boses para hindi obvious na di kaya  :-D ... puro studio magic

hindi ko alam na wala sa tono ni Coric's ah.

hmm..

okay naman yun pagkanta niya sa acoustic live nila sa music museum.  mahirap siguro retoke iyon.

ewan ko lang eheheh cguro di ko lang talag trip boses ni rico blanco ehehe para kasing boses nag bibinata hehe lalo na pag live :-D pero magaling siya mag keys ahhhh  :-)

Offline poetic_tragedy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2007, 11:08:22 AM »
Who should be blame when a leaf fell from a tree?...
Is it the wind that blew it away?
Or the tree that let it go? Or is it the leaf itself which never held tight?  *Mabuhay ang LOLATECHS 2007* "LOLA mo, LOLA ko...LOLA nating lahat!" - Boy Chillax

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 11:26:21 AM »
kasi pag recording naman, hindi naman one-shot deal ang pagkanta.

pag nagkamali yung vocals, syempre uulitin nila yun. kaya magastos mag record. pag may sablay uulit. tapos pag sablay nanaman, ulit parin.

di naman kasi pwedeng ulit-ulitin pag live.

at tao lang tayo, nagkakamali, nagkakasakit, nawawala sa tono, pumipiyok.

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2007, 07:33:16 PM »
Sa napansin ko lang. Karamihan ng banda na sumasabit sa live ay ung mga metal.

Di ko alam kung metal sila. KJWAN. Putol putol na ung pagkanta nya sa live. Hingal na hingal kasi.

Wag magalit. Opinyon lang po. :-D
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »
i agree with bass cog's point of view. 

another thing i would like to add of course is that in my opinion every band has to include a sound engineer in their lineup.  sanay kasi tayo na puro musikero lang, and we forget that an engineer can help improve our sound on stage.  mas konti na ang poproblemahin natin.  we can concentrate on making music, the engineer takes care of our "tone". makakatulong ata yon.

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »

another thing i would like to add of course is that in my opinion every band has to include a sound engineer in their lineup.  sanay kasi tayo na puro musikero lang, and we forget that an engineer can help improve our sound on stage.  mas konti na ang poproblemahin natin.  we can concentrate on making music, the engineer takes care of our "tone". makakatulong ata yon.

are you talkin bout urself? if u are. i definitely agree  :-D
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »

haha napanood ko na to...

Artist:  Ser may dala kaming tech na sarili.
Soundsystem tech:  Talaga? 
(timpla timpla onstage mga gitarista, bahista; set-up ng drums)

Artist Tech:  (sisigawan yung soundsytem tech)  Taasan mo baho!

Soundsystem tech:  Yes ser!  (kunware pipihit sa mixing board)  ayan ok na?

Artist tech: Konti pang bass!  Dagdagan mo rin volume ng vocals!

Soundsystem tech:  (Pihit-pihit, asar sa tech ng banda)  OK na sir?

Artist tech:  AYAN AYUS!

Soundsystem Tech:  OK.   :-D  (SA loob-loob niya - hahaha, wala naman akong binago sa settings.)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2007, 10:56:38 AM »

haha napanood ko na to...

Artist:  Ser may dala kaming tech na sarili.
Soundsystem tech:  Talaga? 
(timpla timpla onstage mga gitarista, bahista; set-up ng drums)

Artist Tech:  (sisigawan yung soundsytem tech)  Taasan mo baho!

Soundsystem tech:  Yes ser!  (kunware pipihit sa mixing board)  ayan ok na?

Artist tech: Konti pang bass!  Dagdagan mo rin volume ng vocals!

Soundsystem tech:  (Pihit-pihit, asar sa tech ng banda)  OK na sir?

Artist tech:  AYAN AYUS!

Soundsystem Tech:  OK.   :-D  (SA loob-loob niya - hahaha, wala naman akong binago sa settings.)

MWAHAHA.  i had the pleasure of meeting shinji last night at napag usapan din namin yan. minsan binubuksan ko palang yung plug to make some changes, naka-approve na yung client ... 

client: yaaaaaan ganyan, mas ok.   

me: wala pa po akong ginagawa ser. 

client: a, ganon ba?

anyhow, bawal ba pumihit yung tech ng banda?

FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744