hulika

Author Topic: All About That Verb (A thread for the ambient hand)  (Read 6477 times)

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
All About That Verb (A thread for the ambient hand)
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
So far, I haven't seen a thread that's dedicated to a discussion of ambience. I know, for sure, that there are a lot of people here who are into ambient. Does anyone here listen to All The Bright Lights? Because James Duke is freaking amazing. Thing is, he gets such a huge sound with ridiculously lush reverberation, but the only reverb pedal I see on his board is an RV5. How the heck does he do that? I'm thinking his touring rig is slightly different from the one he uses in the studio. I know he sold his Timeline, though, and stuck with a DD20 and DMM W/ Tap Tempo. Thoughts, everyone?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: All About That Verb (A thread for the ambient hand)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:23:05 AM »
 :mrgreen:
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline thkh

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:45 PM »
Don't know the guy and had to look up his pedalboard in Google.

You can do so much with a DMMTT 1100 & RV5. Modulated delays can sound like a pad and adding reverb will soften the attack. 

i lurve delay pedals

Offline fr0zen_12@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:34:25 PM »
im currently studying pano mka attain ng magandang tunog, lalo na pag sa gospel/praise ang tugtugan. :) though ang gngawa ko palang is delay, reverb, chorus and pitch shift. still had a lot to learn though. :)

Offline plissken

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 09:44:41 AM »
Nice thread!

Here's a tone test of bigsky + timeline. Played a simple chord progression on this vid.

[/URL]
Jesus is my music!

Offline NTM

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 10:14:42 AM »
I have that album, All the Bright Lights, by James Duke. And I can say that he is awesome! That ambient reverb + delay, may mga part pa na gumagamit sya ng reverse delay, and somehow parang may oscillation thingy pa. hahaha. Nakita ko isang board nya na gumagamit sya ng Strymon Flint and RV5 on board. Sa ngayon madalas nya din gamitin Morning Glory and Klon for his drive.

Nice thread!

Here's a tone test of bigsky + timeline. Played a simple chord progression on this vid.

[/URL]

Ganda talaga nyan sir! hehe. so far sapat na sakin for ambient yung M5 + Nova Delay + Carbon Copy. hehe.
"Accomplishing the impossible is all about seeing the invisible."

- Sun Stand Still

Offline Thesurjen

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
I listen to Andy Othling on Youtube. Ambient din ung ginagawa nya. Though high end ung mga gears nya. Endorser ata sya ng Strymon? kaya ayun. XD

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:06:00 AM »
I listen to Andy Othling on Youtube. Ambient din ung ginagawa nya. Though high end ung mga gears nya. Endorser ata sya ng Strymon? kaya ayun. XD

Yeah, I also listen to Andy. I don't think he's an endorser, since Strymon doesn't do traditional artist endorsing. I think Andy is one of the few Strymon artists, though. But not sure!   :drool:
Sa totoo lang, I'm amazed at how big James Duke's sound is. If you put James and Andy side by side, it's not a very big difference. This is quite mind boggling for me since James only uses an RV5 (mostly) for his reverb while Andy uses a lot of verbs (BigSky, WET) to achieve his sound.
But both are AMAZING ambient players. Seriously. Haha!  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »
Don't know the guy and had to look up his pedalboard in Google.

You can do so much with a DMMTT 1100 & RV5. Modulated delays can sound like a pad and adding reverb will soften the attack.

Yeah, totally. The DMMTT is really unique, imo. The thing that just makes me think is how HUGE his sound is. Like in terms of dimension. Whenever I listen to him on headphones, It just feels like he's playing over me. Like he's on a mountain top and I'm at the bottom. Idek. Haha!

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:46 AM »
nels cline and bill frisell...

Offline Thesurjen

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
Yeah, I also listen to Andy. I don't think he's an endorser, since Strymon doesn't do traditional artist endorsing. I think Andy is one of the few Strymon artists, though. But not sure!   :drool:
Sa totoo lang, I'm amazed at how big James Duke's sound is. If you put James and Andy side by side, it's not a very big difference. This is quite mind boggling for me since James only uses an RV5 (mostly) for his reverb while Andy uses a lot of verbs (BigSky, WET) to achieve his sound.
But both are AMAZING ambient players. Seriously. Haha!  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Di ko kilala si James Duke, pakinggan ko mamaya paguwi ko from office. :) Mind boggling nga talaga yon.  XD
How about you sir, may gear ka din na pang ambient? :)

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
i am a heavy reverb user. the only pedal that is constantly turned "on" on my pedalboard. i have 3. boss rv-5, tce hall of fame and ehx cathedral.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline vigie rivera

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »
Finally a thread for ambient players. Haha  :) i also listen to andy othling. for my ambient sound i use my supernatural and my dd7 on analog mode w/long repeats. Hehe siyempre volume pedal for swells. nag start akong makinig sa ambient music nung una kong mapakinggan sigur ros.
HUMBOOGERS.

Offline Eraseyourhead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:34:23 PM »
Nice, may thread na para sa ambient sound. May naka try na ba dito ng shimmer+delay para sa ambient swells?

Offline thkh

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »
Nice, may thread na para sa ambient sound. May naka try na ba dito ng shimmer+delay para sa ambient swells?

Sure. Octave down > delay > reverb > shimmer. It sounds massive.
i lurve delay pedals

Offline Thesurjen

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 11:45:16 AM »
i am a heavy reverb user. the only pedal that is constantly turned "on" on my pedalboard. i have 3. boss rv-5, tce hall of fame and ehx cathedral.
Sir, naka series yung 3 na yun or in a loop?

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
Sir, naka series yung 3 na yun or in a loop?

no sir. i'm using them in separate boards. swapping them once in a while.

cathedral for reverse, grail spring and tap/infinite features
rv-5 for modulate, hall and plate
hall of fame for church, ambient and tone print.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 02:30:35 PM »
Line 6 , particle verb
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
nels cline and bill frisell...

NELS CLINE <3 I love his tone! I also love the fact that he goes from one type of music to another sounding to diverse! Thanks for sharing!  :wave:

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »
Di ko kilala si James Duke, pakinggan ko mamaya paguwi ko from office. :) Mind boggling nga talaga yon.  XD
How about you sir, may gear ka din na pang ambient? :)

Yes po, meron. Very simple pa lang. Nothing fancy. Hehe! Still looking to get a better reverb pedal next week, hopefully! :) Ikaw po sir? :)

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 11:04:01 PM »
NELS CLINE <3 I love his tone! I also love the fact that he goes from one type of music to another sounding to diverse! Thanks for sharing!  :wave:

Hey Coletoymusic No Problem., I'm glad that you like Nels..  :)

I'm into ambient music before... Here's one of my video using a Telecaster, echo park, wet reverb V1, carbon copy, Empress SuperDelay and One peso Coin..

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
hof is good! but had the chance to get a silver spring by madprofessor..

pretty ok..just use em to beautify my acoustic tone
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 12:53:59 AM »
Hey Coletoymusic No Problem., I'm glad that you like Nels..  :)

I'm into ambient music before... Here's one of my video using a Telecaster, echo park, wet reverb V1, carbon copy, Empress SuperDelay and One peso Coin..

Beautiful playing sir! Do you have recorded material? Would love to listen to your stuff!  :) :) :)

Offline coletoymusic

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:12 AM »
hof is good! but had the chance to get a silver spring by madprofessor..

pretty ok..just use em to beautify my acoustic tone

Would it suit one's ambient needs? The reason why I'm considering the Cathedral/Bluesky is because of the extra preset. I can set a relatively natural reverb, and then for another part of the song I could switch to a more lush and bigger sound.  :-D

Offline mother_earth!

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
No love for the MS70cdr..?