hulika

Author Topic: SOS! =)  (Read 2379 times)

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« on: May 06, 2006, 09:00:06 AM »
I just bought a computer that I'm going to use as my songwriting tool/home recording... I have Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks Pro 3... When I record a song, what I usually do is to first record some drum tracks/loops provided in the software (SmartLoops for Cakewalk)... This goes to track 1... On track 2, I record a rhythm part... on track 3, a lead guitar part... Now, the problem I'm experiencing is that when I mute tracks 1 and 2, and just listen to track 3 (for mixing and adding some effects), I still hear tracks 1 and 2 on the background... (I connect my guitar directly to the souncard coz I stll don't have a mixer or pre-amp device yet...)... The same thing happens when I use Krystal Audio Engine... Help please... needed badly... Thanks so much mga bros... =)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
SOS! =)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 11:35:09 AM »
You have 'What-you-hear' engaged. If your sound source is coming from an external sound module, use line in instead. Also use the line in for your vocals and anything else that comes in thru your mixer instead.

How are you playing your midi tracks? Are you using the MS GS Synth? Doesn't GT Pro come with the Virtual Sound Canvas? Use VSC instead of the MS Synth as your midi sound source if you don't have any midi modules. I don't know if GT Pro has the ability to 'Freeze' a softsynth, but I know it can bounce down midi to a track.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 12:01:05 PM »
Thanks for your reply sir KitC... I'm a total newbie when it comes to recording using PCs... I don't use any MIDI device as of now even on the software itself (just audio)... I'm connecting directly to the Mic output on the soundcard... Here's my set-up:

Guitar----- Effects pedal------ Soundcard   hehehe.... so painfully simple...

I tried adjusting and tweaking the audio settings of my PC and software but I can't find the option to set VSC in Cakewalk GTP3 and MS Synth... thus, I still have that 'What-you-hear' dilemma... please help guys...

Pahabol lng sir KitC: If I connect to the Line output of the soundcard, will I still be able to hear what I'm playing, I mean will the signal come out of the monitor speakers just like when you're connected to the Mic output? Sorry, I'm really a newbie here... =) Thanks for your help... really appreciated... =)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
SOS! =)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 01:27:34 PM »
First, don't use mic input. Always use line in when recording. Go to the soundcard's control panel and make sure the line input in recording options is checked, not mic input. Make sure your fx is connected to the line inputs.

What kind of fx are you using? If it's like the usual digital multifx, it will usually have line outputs and it will usually be in stereo. You can connect that directly to the sound card line inputs usually using a stereo 1/8" to 1/4" Y-cable commonly available in most electronics stores.

For instrument level signals such as from Boss stompboxes, you will need a preamp to bring the signal up to line level. Alternatively, most guitar amps have line outputs - use that to connect directly to the line inputs. Remember, always line out to line in, make a mistake somewhere and you can burn out a component.

As for VSC, I checked CW's site and just found out GT Pro doesn't come with that synth. I can't recommend using the MS Synth because it has a fixed latency of around 350ms. It's only good for midi playback; you can't track live to that. You might have to use an external synth, or, if you're using a 'blaster, it already has a soundfont synth built in. Just load an appropriate SF2 file (if you google around, you can find GM soundfonts as large as 128 megs).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:01:34 AM »
Galing mo tlga sir KitC... I unchecked the mic output, and checked the line output instead... walaaahhh... I can now record audio tracks fine... the "What-you-hear" dilemma has gone away... hehehe... Thanks so much sir KitC... The best talaga mga forumers dito... =) Thanks din sa info bout the GM soundfonts... I'm currently googling it and I'm learning so much right now... I'm planning to buy a new soundcard... What brand and model do you suggest ba? Basta di masydo mahal like price range is about 3k-5k... hehehe... mixer? Headphone/monitor speakers?  

Thanks sobra... =)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
SOS! =)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:44:28 PM »
Quote from: shredmaster26
I'm planning to buy a new soundcard... What brand and model do you suggest ba? Basta di masydo mahal like price range is about 3k-5k... hehehe... mixer? Headphone/monitor speakers?  

I'm not afraid to admit that I started out with soundblasters. Better than a no-name soundcard, but to be honest, woefully inadequate for serious recording. Your stated budget puts you within the Audigy line of cards and I'm not comfortable recommending this particular line because of it's fixed 48 kHz sampling frequency. I recommend saving up for an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (try ordering abroad).

As for mixers, of course, the Behringers are cheap but I recommend waiting for their Xenyx line which some say have very good mic preamps. My kumpare recently lent me his Phonic 12-channel which I found to be a good performer as well. You can hardly go wrong with a Mackie mixer.

For monitors, try checking out the Tapco's in Audiophile. Headphones? If you plan to record with your headphones on for hours on end, always look for 'phones whose foam pads surround the ear (circumaural), not sit on top of it (supraural). Mix for hours with a pair of supraurals and your ears will hurt from being compressed by the pads. Use closed back phones if you will track vocals with headphones on; use open backed phones for mixing.

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »
Thanks sir KitC... I'm listing those items on my "to-buy" list for this year... grabe... kaka-addict mag-recording... til wee hours in the morning... pag uwi from work, harap agad sa PC trying to listen and mixing your project songs... hehehe... =) Right now, I'm saving up for a decent soundcard and mixer... I might sell some equipments so that I can buy a mixer or soundcard... =) San ba mkakabili ng M-Audio soundcard dito sa Pinas? May exclusive dealer ba dito or do I still have to order abroad?

Thanks
=)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
SOS! =)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 02:20:58 PM »
i posted this earlier in an old thread.  we do have distributors for audio recording equipment here in the philippines.  here's a list.

M-Audio (perry 8739094), Tascam (audiophile), Edirol (Yupangco Makati branch), Digidesign (im certain meron distributor, di ko lang alam kung sino), RME (mr mike pedero of tracks 6338710), Mackie (Forerunner Technologies, 09189187637), Behringer (Electronic Depot)
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 02:30:43 PM »
Starfugger, do you have an idea how much an M-Audio soundcard cost? Yung M-Audio 2496 sana. My guestimate is it's around 10k yun eh... may mas mababa pa ba dun na M-Audio din but not as expensive as 10K? =)

Thanks
=)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
SOS! =)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
your guestimate is more or less correct. im not sure about the exact prices but i think they have something from 8k up.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline shredmaster26

SOS! =)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 03:16:33 PM »
Ok... thanks so much bro... I'll try to contact sir Perry for the M-Audio... =)

=)