hulika

Author Topic: What stage mic is used for classical guitars?  (Read 1837 times)

Offline alvincflorentino

What stage mic is used for classical guitars?
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »
What kind of mic is used to mic an acoustic guitar (classical) onstage for a live performance? Yung tipong nakatutok lang sa soundhole/bridge. Assuming walang pickup or any other electronics inside. Condenser? Dynamic? Kung pwede yung mura lang. To those with experience, any tips on this? Thanks in advance...
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline RATBUMAN

Re: What stage mic is used for classical guitars?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »
John Williams uses a single large condenser mic (AKG C414) during live performances.  Most people use a small pencil condenser mic.  The LA guitar quartet  ( composed of Scott Tenant, Matt Greif, John Dearman and William Kenengiser ) uses a small condenser mic - Neumann KM184 for each guitar player.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:55:15 PM by RATBUMAN »

Offline DCham

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
Cheapest is probably the Samson C02. You can buy it at Audiophile. It is super cardioid so you'll have to aim it at the sweet spot. But it has lots of gain before feedback. I usually aim it at where the neck meets the body about 6" from the strings. If you are going to do it the way John Williams mics it is over his shoulder aimed down at where the sound hole is. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1664&brandID=2 Made in China about P7K for a pair.
Dennis Cham
Senior Partner / CTO
HIT Productions www.hitproductions.net

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
John Williams uses a single large condenser mic (AKG C414) during live performances.  Most people use a small pencil condenser mic.  The LA guitar quartet  ( composed of Scott Tenant, Matt Greif, John Dearman and William Kenengiser ) uses a small condenser mic - Neumann KM184 for each guitar player.

Noted. Was thinking of these but Neumanns are way over the budget. Thanks

Cheapest is probably the Samson C02. You can buy it at Audiophile. It is super cardioid so you'll have to aim it at the sweet spot. But it has lots of gain before feedback. I usually aim it at where the neck meets the body about 6" from the strings. If you are going to do it the way John Williams mics it is over his shoulder aimed down at where the sound hole is. http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1664&brandID=2 Made in China about P7K for a pair.

These are probably the best bet because the prices are within reach and reviews are satisfactory. Thanks for the tips!
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline DCham

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:12:20 PM »
Alvin, You cannot underestimate the power of good mic technique. When it is just right, you can get a cheap mic to sound just like an expensive one. Mics have gotten better and better in recent years. If you do not have to compete with a band or get feedback from monitors, I would try to keep it high pointing down at you about 4ft. This is great for classical guitar. How ever if you do jazz you want to get close. Placement is different for every player. When you find the sweet spot you'll hear all the frequencies of your guitar all at the same time, not bassy or trebly.
Dennis Cham
Senior Partner / CTO
HIT Productions www.hitproductions.net

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Yung tipong nakatutok lang sa soundhole/bridge. Assuming walang pickup or any other electronics inside. Condenser?

If it's a nylon guitar in a recital environment, a condenser type is a must. the Samson C02's will do, but also check out the RODE small condensers NT5 if I'm not mistaken. RODE also has a handheld condenser S1 or S2. Ask at Crystal Audio in Makati Cinema Square.

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:18:58 AM »
Alvin, You cannot underestimate the power of good mic technique. When it is just right, you can get a cheap mic to sound just like an expensive one. Mics have gotten better and better in recent years. If you do not have to compete with a band or get feedback from monitors, I would try to keep it high pointing down at you about 4ft. This is great for classical guitar. How ever if you do jazz you want to get close. Placement is different for every player. When you find the sweet spot you'll hear all the frequencies of your guitar all at the same time, not bassy or trebly.

I know that there are more affordable mics out there that do sound as good as or even better than their more expensive counterparts. I have a Special Projects B1 (or was it C1?) that sounds like a thousand dollar mic and it's really an underrated mic. I've watched a a few John Williams videos on YouTube and, at least from the ones I saw, he uses different mics most probably because of the different rooms he records in. On one, he was using what looked like a large diaphragm condenser during a performance in an auditorium, and on another a pair of small diaphragm pencil condensers when playing with a string ensemble in what seemed like a big vestibule inside a church. Once I find a suitable mic, I'll make sure to try different combinations of mic placement.

If it's a nylon guitar in a recital environment, a condenser type is a must. the Samson C02's will do, but also check out the RODE small condensers NT5 if I'm not mistaken. RODE also has a handheld condenser S1 or S2. Ask at Crystal Audio in Makati Cinema Square.

I'll make sure to check out the RODEs too. Thanks!

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 11:00:31 AM »
The classic/standard mic placement for acoustic guitars is 12" from the guitar pointing at the area from 12th fret to the neck/body joint. For 2-mic configurations, the 2nd mic can be pointed at the bridge.

Pointing the mic directly on the soundhole is... well, try it and let me if it works for you.

hope this helps. I love mic'ing acoustic and classical guitars.

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
The classic/standard mic placement for acoustic guitars is 12" from the guitar pointing at the area from 12th fret to the neck/body joint. For 2-mic configurations, the 2nd mic can be pointed at the bridge.

Pointing the mic directly on the soundhole is... well, try it and let me if it works for you.

hope this helps. I love mic'ing acoustic and classical guitars.

Will try those tips, including the one on the soundhole. Ha!