hulika

Author Topic: Analog to Digital  (Read 2009 times)

Offline charliebrown

Analog to Digital
« on: January 18, 2006, 02:38:37 PM »
Hey guys. I hope everythings well w/ one another.

I have inquiries that, perhaps, had been raised by someone some time ago. Field work do eat a lot of my time so I really can't find any chances browsing previous posts. Here is my question:

How can I upload the contents of my cassete tapes to my personal computer? I believe there's a software for converting (pertaining to music) analog signal (tape/ vinyl recordings) to digital (mp3, wav, cda, wam, etc.). Can you name some software/s for this kind of work and suggest w/c software is a lot easier to utilise and perhaps w/c is/are downloadable on-line? Kung freeware, ano ung link? :)

Thanks in advance. Im really clueless on these.

Regards and God bless.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Analog to Digital
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »
Quote from: charliebrown
Hey guys. I hope everythings well w/ one another.

I have inquiries that, perhaps, had been raised by someone some time ago. Field work do eat a lot of my time so I really can't find any chances browsing previous posts. Here is my question:

How can I upload the contents of my cassete tapes to my personal computer? I believe there's a software for converting (pertaining to music) analog signal (tape/ vinyl recordings) to digital (mp3, wav, cda, wam, etc.). Can you name some software/s for this kind of work and suggest w/c software is a lot easier to utilise and perhaps w/c is/are downloadable on-line? Kung freeware, ano ung link? :)

Thanks in advance. Im really clueless on these.

Regards and God bless.

get a probabale sound card first with digital outs/ins/ spdif/midi/ if that will be only purpose, get a cheap one like audigy creative series.

cakewalk will be ok. cheap.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Analog to Digital
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:33:09 PM »
First of all, you need a good casette deck with clean heads (preferably demagnetized), a good transport system that won't eat up your tape and has very low wow and flutter, and line level outputs. Failing that, you could use a walkman but be careful when using the headphone outs; the amplification stage there could easily overload your soundcard inputs.

Of course you will need a good soundcard. Soundblasters are ok, definitely better than most onboard (motherboard) sound devices and loads better than a CMI soundcard. Of course, you will need cables. For the casette deck, usually RCA stereo to 1/8" stereo cable is required while the walkman will require a 1/8" to 1/8" stereo cable - both are easily obtainable in most electronics stores, i think. The input on the soundcard/pc should always be the LINE IN, not the mic in. Set the volume control panel to Recording and select the Line In input and adjust accordingly. There can be a few occasional peaks but please don't peg the meters in the red.

For software, you will need something that can edit and clean the recorded wave file, and burn to cd if needed. Adobe Audition has all the tools necesssary for that. Audition's noise removal is among the best I've encountered; you will need that for removing hiss from the recordings. On the freeware side, you have Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine, Kristal is more better suited for multiple tracking. Audacity has some noise removal tools I believe.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline charliebrown

Analog to Digital
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:10:06 PM »
Quote from: KitC
the amplification stage there could easily overload your soundcard inputs.

Wat did u mean by this, sir Kit?

Overload = Burn?

Many thanks to ur insights. I have been able to DL Kristal. I will be heading downtown manila on monday to get the cables.

Thanks for your suggestions too, Sir Turiguiliano.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Analog to Digital
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 08:10:41 PM »
Put in a signal with enough voltage and you could fry the input stage. But what I really meant was distortion. It's easy to overdrive the line inputs by using the headphone outs of a walkman. Also, the signal is not necessarily the best; some walkmans eq the headphone output because most earbud speakers have poor bass response. (The best ones out there are Sennheisers for Ipods.) If the walkman has a line out jack, better, but if you have to use the headphone outs, use a flat eq setting and watch the levels. You want a good enough level because the noise floor in most consumer soundcards and onboard sound is quite high.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire