hulika

Author Topic: ZILDJIAN cymbals and products thread  (Read 261032 times)

Offline ushuaia

Re: ZILDJIAN cymbals and products thread
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
what is the diff. of that 60s avedis new beats,med ride,thin crash etc to the present? alam nating meron diba? but zildjian wont admit that. if this armand series is the classic 60s avedis sound,then logically the 90s sound is diff? that is what im trying to say.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 08:49:53 PM by ushuaia »

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #201 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:42 PM »
I guess the Armand series represents the classic cymbal sounds of the yesteryears, back in those days when things seem to be simpler and only a very few simple cymbal models were available.  I think the old cymbals of the yesteryears are more on the thinner side.  Unlike today we have so many cymbal choices, from paper-thin to extra-heavy, from dark to bright, some with hybrid characteristics and special design features, and so forth.

During the 70's, modern music greatly developed, and new musical styles were introduced.  So, cymbal manufacturers responded by developing and introducing several new cymbal designs and innovations.  Cymbal makers responded to the demands of modern music.  Up to this very day, we get to enjoy new cymbal innovations from cymbal makers.  There are so many models to choose from, it can be confusing sometimes. 

I haven't heard nor tried yet the actual Armand cymbals.  But I think a good preference is to listen to the cymbal sounds of the music of artists mentioned on the ad - Beatles, Beach Boys, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Chicago, etc.  Then, compare the sounds somehow with the modern music we're enjoying today.

It's like drums.  We are somehow familiar of the old-school sounds of classic snare drums such as Radio Kings and Black Beauties.  Nowadays, we're enjoying various snare drum sounds, with various sizes and features.

I think it's better if we visit the Zildjian website, then do the cymbal comparisons there.

Offline humuncolus

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:51 AM »
hello po bago lang ako

tanung ko lang po kung anung masasabi niyo sa Zildjian na Scimitar Bronze?

kasi yun po ang gamit ko, isang set binili pa ng father ko nung 1990. meron po ba talagang nilabas ang zildjian nito? kasi di nako nakakakita nito na binibenta. comments po sa tunog at kung cast cymbals po ba toh? accepted ko po ang negative at positive comments ^.^

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2007, 03:28:39 AM »
hello po bago lang ako

tanung ko lang po kung anung masasabi niyo sa Zildjian na Scimitar Bronze?

kasi yun po ang gamit ko, isang set binili pa ng father ko nung 1990. meron po ba talagang nilabas ang zildjian nito? kasi di nako nakakakita nito na binibenta. comments po sa tunog at kung cast cymbals po ba toh? accepted ko po ang negative at positive comments ^.^

The Scimitar Line was the first low-end line of cymbals that Zildjian came out with. It preceded the Impulse, EDGE, ZBT, ZXT, ZHT, lines. If they are still in good condition, take care of them... Wala ka nang mahahanap niyan kasi discontinued na siya... For me they sound much more decent than the low-end cymbals that can be bought today.

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2007, 07:15:51 AM »
The Scimitar Line was the first low-end line of cymbals that Zildjian came out with. It preceded the Impulse, EDGE, ZBT, ZXT, ZHT, lines. If they are still in good condition, take care of them..

Correct me if I'm wrong bro Din but the Impulse line was considered professional cast models released 1982-1986 in response to Paiste's Rude models. I think they were the predecessor of the Z line then the Z custom we now have.  :wink:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline Dindin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2007, 10:51:37 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong bro Din but the Impulse line was considered professional cast models released 1982-1986 in response to Paiste's Rude models. I think they were the predecessor of the Z line then the Z custom we now have.  :wink:

Oops... I believe you're right..., I was actually referring to the Amir line... The Scimitars came after the Amirs too... Sorry... I got my thoughts mixed up at 3am... hehehe

Offline Akira JUMBO

• good vibrations
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »
Oops... I believe you're right..., I was actually referring to the Amir line... The Scimitars came after the Amirs too... Sorry... I got my thoughts mixed up at 3am... hehehe

Hehe! No worries brother Din. :-D I was assuming myself wrong as I was curious if you had some inside info from the Zildjian factory visit; after all you are our proud  "Z" endorser. :wink:
DRUM.ROOM drum items for sale click here

Offline humuncolus

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2007, 01:30:52 PM »
salamat po mga sir. good condition pa naman ang mga scimitar ko nagkeyhole na yung sa top hats ko kaya lumilihis na ung edges nung hats.

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:52 PM »
to anthony-yes there are many kinds of cymbals today,pero kung yung new beats nila na 14 nung 60s eh thin na ganun ang tunog. diba dapat ganun pa din ngayon? point ko lang why make another series? kung ang gamit ni buddy rich nung 60s eh new beat hats,baket armand series hats pa bibilin ko? bat di nalang new beats

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:40 AM »
^ According to Zildjian's website, the A New Beat Hats have a medium-weight top cymbal and a heavy-weight bottom cymbal.  The Armand Hats have a thin-weight top cymbal and a medium-weight bottom cymbal.  And it says "Armand HiHats", not "Armand New Beat HiHats".  Here, I can say that these are two different hi-hat models.

I can't remember when the New Beat hats were first introduced, and if the Armand hats are like old-school New Beat reincarnations.  Maybe they already have several hi-hat models during the 60's.

As far as I know, the Armand Series was made to re-create the popular cymbal sounds during the 60's, and it's in memory of Mr. Armand Z.

I'll just wait for the product review of Modern Drummer.  Or maybe it's better if we send an e-mail to the Zildjian Company and ask them about this.  In this case, I think we should hear the cymbals first.  8-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:07:31 AM by drumster »

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2007, 12:52:55 PM »
Maririnig mo ang Armand hats dito:

Offline tagz

« Reply #211 on: November 14, 2007, 07:14:30 PM »
ano mas maganda? ZHT o ZXT?? :?
PALOpaloPALOpaloPALOpalo!!!

Offline ushuaia

« Reply #212 on: November 14, 2007, 09:13:29 PM »
alam ko na hindi new beats yung armand. sa pagkaka alam ko 2 lang ang line ng zildjian nung 60s,k zildjian(old ks) na gawa sa turkey imported by gretsch and avedis line gawa sa amerika. diba 60s hats=new beats? si louie bellson pa nga nag suggest to put a heavier bottom. my point is nag bago yung tunog ng mga cymbals pati yung mga weight from 60s up to now. but still had the same name. new beats a med ride,crash(lapa ata med thin nung 60s,not sure). naguluhan lang ako na yung armand daw eh 60s sound. so that means new beats from the 60s sounds diff from new beats today. kasi a have a 6os new beats nabili ko sa ebay,sobrang iba tunog at manipis tlaga.

Offline thunder_god

• Veteran Member
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2007, 04:51:38 AM »
Kay sir ushuaia and sir drumster, may nabasa nga akong review about the armand zildjian series tsaka pinakingan ko yung sound niya through zildjian's website, ang ganda. Classic na classic yung sound nya. Ok sa mga nagcocover ng mga 60s and 70s music(pang-bloomfields). Anyway, meron na sya sa JB. Boxset that includes, 14" hh, 16"med thin crash, 20" ride, and 22" limited armand deluxe cymbal bag. Tinanong ko kung mgkano nsa 47k-48k, price na ng isang dru kit with cymbals. Hinde kaya ng budget pero if your into classic songs and if you really love to sound like it, pagiipunan mo talaga to. Share lng, tnx po.  :-)
"I tend to punish my gear so I like the angry Z Customs, while the classic A compliments the destruction."

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2007, 06:42:59 AM »
i have a 6os new beats nabili ko sa ebay,sobrang iba tunog at manipis tlaga.

Wow!  They must have sounded better with age, just like fine wine.  I wish I could acquire some vintage Zildjians someday.  :-)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
Kay sir ushuaia and sir drumster, may nabasa nga akong review about the armand zildjian series tsaka pinakingan ko yung sound niya through zildjian's website, ang ganda. Classic na classic yung sound nya. Ok sa mga nagcocover ng mga 60s and 70s music(pang-bloomfields). Anyway, meron na sya sa JB. Boxset that includes, 14" hh, 16"med thin crash, 20" ride, and 22" limited armand deluxe cymbal bag. Tinanong ko kung mgkano nsa 47k-48k, price na ng isang dru kit with cymbals. Hinde kaya ng budget pero if your into classic songs and if you really love to sound like it, pagiipunan mo talaga to. Share lng, tnx po.  :-)

P33,000 with 30% discount, pero ngayon ang huling araw ng sale e.

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2007, 04:13:38 PM »
sabi sa akin ng JB Trinoma, hanggang Nov 30 daw yung sale. hmm

sir ushuaia:
alam niyo na pala yung sagot e... wag na kayo maguluhan. magkaiba nga talaga ang 60's new beats sa new beats ngayon. talagang bumigat yung standard weights mula dati. syempre kailangan kasi i-adjust ng zildjian ang products nila para ibagay sa panahon (mas malakas / maingay talaga tugtugan ngayon kesa dati, kaya mas makapal na mga cymbals para mas malakas at mas durable)

Offline bubu_1010

• Philmusicus Noobitus
sir advise po.. oki ba ang Zildjian K 16" fast crash?
« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2007, 10:48:21 PM »
variety kasi tugtugan ko.. oki ba? may nag bebenta kasi sa akin gusto ko kunin hehehe

advise naman po ty...

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
Re: sir advise po.. oki ba ang Zildjian K 16" fast crash?
« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »
manipiiiiiiis. kaso basta wag mo i-pang basagang tugtugan, okay yan.

tsaka kung trip mo yung tunog, sino ba kami para sabihin sa iyo na wag mo kunin?  :-P

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: ZXT rock titanium set
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2007, 12:06:15 AM »
onga raw, from what i heard, pangit nga raw ang mga iyan.
tsaka tama si kuya jun, magiging color coded ang mga cymbals.hehehe  :P

tanong lang, dun sa Late Night With Conan O'Brien, si Max Weinberg yung drummer nila eh, ZXT titanium ba yung cymbals niya? tuwing makakita kasi ako ng silver na cymbals, pasok kagad sa isip ko na ZXTi yung mga yun. hehehe  :lol:

A Series gamit ni Max Weinberg bro.
"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #220 on: December 03, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
Mga tsong! Natry nyo naba yung Armand Series Cymbals? It's the recreation of Armand's favorite sounds from the 70's. I had the opportunity to test it. Well It's thinner than the Regular A's but very distinct sound. Mas Warmer with shimmering sound. Si Carter Beauford yun ang bagong favorite niya.

"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline FINGERZAP

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »
ano mas maganda? ZHT o ZXT?? :?

IMO, ZHT. Saka mas higher model ang ZHT.

in order:
ZHT
ZXT
ZBT

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #222 on: December 05, 2007, 05:07:13 AM »
Mga tsong! Natry nyo naba yung Armand Series Cymbals? It's the recreation of Armand's favorite sounds from the 70's. I had the opportunity to test it. Well It's thinner than the Regular A's but very distinct sound. Mas Warmer with shimmering sound. Si Carter Beauford yun ang bagong favorite niya.

To anybody interested with the new Armand series, check out the January 2008 issue of Modern Drummer magazine.  They made a review of this series of cymbals.  8-)

Offline tagz

« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »
@fingerzap
salamat sir sa pagsagot.. tagal na nyang tnong ko eh.. akala ko kc mas higher model ang zxt.. bumili kc ako ng 17" fast crash and 16" medium thin parehong zht.. :-D
tnx sir!
PALOpaloPALOpaloPALOpalo!!!

Offline mic2

« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2007, 01:09:50 AM »
mga sir ok ba yung zxt titanium?
HiFidelity