hulika

Poll

JCM 900 4501 vs. Peavey Classic 30 - which is better for my 18k?

Marshall all the way!
8 (40%)
Peavey Power!
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: March 07, 2006, 12:07:51 PM

Author Topic: Please help me decide between these two amps  (Read 10669 times)

Offline Tube

Please help me decide between these two amps
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:33 AM »
Marshall!!!  :twisted:

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 04:42:39 AM »
IMHO the peavey would be the better all around amp. the clean channel breaks up nicely around the 5-6 level on the clean channel so if you dont like channel switching, just add a OD or Dist pedal and you've got pure bliss at the step of a button..

the 2nd channel has a post and pre gain knob so you can pretty much dial in as much gain as you want (but probably not as much as the JCM900? want more gain? use a pedal). and being low-wattage.. this will sound sweeet! is the marshall a 50 or 100 watt combo? (again too lazy to google)

vote for the peavey all the way..

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 04:43:04 AM »
but of course.. YMMV ;)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 07:25:25 AM »
Thanks guys!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
Quote from: RJVMC
Don't forget to bring YOUR guitar. That's the other half of the equation.

Don't use any pedals at all. This will "hide" the natural sound of the amp.

I'll go with Peavey Classic 30. The 900 is good for hi-gain if you're planning to use it as a stand alone gain, but for good clean tones, Peavey works well, just add a distortion box and you're done.

But I use a lot of pedals. thanks a lot for the suggestion anyway.

Offline tolits

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2006, 08:20:35 AM »
Sir,

If you're using a lot of pedals, I suggest you get the peavey coz jcm900s really dont have a clean channel, they placed clipping diodes on their clean channel thats why it still breaks up a little bit. And I only appreciate the 900 on high levels, only then that the true high gain sound get it's body or fatness, and yes they have maintenance problems coz they used low end controls, very easy to get noise. Hope this helps. :P

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 09:34:42 AM »
Guys, I just tested the peavey and it sounds pretty  good - with JJ tubes (what the [strawberry] are they anyway? anyone care to tell? :), that is. The seller told me that he's not including them in the amp and put the stock tubes instead. What do you think? Are the stock tubes of the Peavey good enough? How much would it cost to replace all the 7 tubes (3 12ax7's and 4 EL34's (? or are they EL 84's) Of course, I'll be testing it with the stock tubes once he puts them in.

Thanks for all of your replies and feel free to give more information not just for my benefit but for others who are scavenging for an amp as well. This is going to be my first valve amp and I really want to make sure that I'm getting the most of my hard-earned cash.

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 09:38:39 AM »
from what i heard the stock tubes are decent enough.. but changing tubes still is a must..

and the problem with peavey is the tubes socket and clips.. it rattles overtime and doesnt hold tubes firmly
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
Quote from: dantuts
from what i heard the stock tubes are decent enough.. but changing tubes still is a must..

and the problem with peavey is the tubes socket and clips.. it rattles overtime and doesnt hold tubes firmly

my classic 30 had Sovtek EL84s and Sovtek 12AX7s orignally, i've replaced the output tubes to GTs.

JJ's are Czech made from memory? Probably in the same league as Sovteks. i might be wrong tho, i've never really replaced any of my amps tubes, they dont last long enough to matter.

unless those output and preamp tubes are over 2 years old and have been well used, they should still be ok.. preamp tubes hardly ever need to be replaced.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2006, 09:44:32 AM »

with newer peavey's they've actually added a tube guard so the tubes dont get hit since it is an open back chassis.

again, i've never owned a peavey tube amp long enough to have this problem.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2006, 10:49:54 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox

with newer peavey's they've actually added a tube guard so the tubes dont get hit since it is an open back chassis.

The last time I bought a matching quad JJ's I paid $60. 12ax7s JJ's run around $15 each.

Bakit hindi kasama ang tubes? Well, palit nalang nga ng tubes. Sigurado ka pang bago.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2006, 10:59:34 AM »
Quote from: stratman1

The last time I bought a matching quad JJ's I paid $60. 12ax7s JJ's run around $15 each.

Bakit hindi kasama ang tubes? Well, palit nalang nga ng tubes. Sigurado ka pang bago.

well if it sounds good with the stock tubes, why change them right?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2006, 12:29:53 PM »

my classic 30 had Sovtek EL84s and Sovtek 12AX7s orignally, i've replaced the output tubes to GTs.

JJ's are Czech made from memory? Probably in the same league as Sovteks. i might be wrong tho, i've never really replaced any of my amps tubes, they dont last long enough to matter.

unless those output and preamp tubes are over 2 years old and have been well used, they should still be ok.. preamp tubes hardly ever need to be replaced.

Where can I buy tubes here in Manila? Thanks.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
Quote from: stratman1

Yea, I just have to hear it really soon :)

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »
in teh makati area, you can buy tubes in Audiophile MCS branch or in Phasetron in the Glorietta Park Square
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline caloyburger

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2006, 02:09:16 AM »
Hey titser_marco, I was in the same boat as you are a few months ago except my choice was to keep or sell my JCM900 4101 (100 watt combo) for a new amp. Eventually after lots of research around the net I sold my JCM900 to a friend and purchased a...........Peavey Classic 30!

Ok both are generally good amps. Ive had my JCM for 6 years and brought it frequently to gigs and practice. Lots of bumps, people borrowing it, cranking it, sitting on it, etc. and not even once did it break down. So reliability wise I'd say this amp goes to 11. Can't really comment on reliability of the Peavey since I only had it for a month.

Tonewise, the JCM900 had excellent distortion. Thick and warm, not super high gain but enough to cover your basic punk and hardcore distortion. Listen to Silverchair's Frogstomp, Green Day's Dookie, Thursday's Full Collapse, thats a JCM900 speaking. But take note, to get that sweet drive the amp has to cranked or at least on 5, at bedroom levels they sound ok. Yes these amps use diode-clipping and not a straight tube path to help it distort but that did not bother me since its basically the same principle as adding a dirt box on the clean to get your distortion. Besides the Marshall Jubilee, Slash's amp, also uses solid state devices to add more gain. This is why cranking this amp sounds better since you start to give the power tubes a good workout. If you want pure tube tone out of this amp you need to crank the clean channel. I believe diode clipping is not used for this channel so your just hearing the tubes. If you decide to get this amp, look for ones with EL34 tubes. Mine came stock with 5881 and I had it modified by Lito Bote to fit EL34's. Many would say that these tubes are the heart of the classic Marshall sound. It made the amp more balanced sounding.

The reason why I sold this amp was because I thought the clean was sterile sounding. No matter what I did, it lacked depth. So I needed an amp with a good clean channel and drive and ended up the the Classic 30. The clean, although not as sparkly as Fender, had a lot of body and depth. Very warm and the highs are sweet, not piercing. It takes pedals very well, I'd say better than the JCM. The drive channel is where its also happening. It does not have the gain of the 900 but its voicing IMO is similar, again thick and ballsy however when cranked, the highs can get too sharp. To combat this I thought about a tube upgrade so I contacted Bob at eurotubes.com and ordered a set of tubes. He only stocks JJ tubes and based on other forums on the net this brand is supposed to be the best for the Classic 30. And yes you can order them from the Pinas. A set costs $62+$15 Global Priority shipping + P1200 customs and taxes. Took about one week and a half to arrive. Slapped them on the amp and the stabbing highs on the drive channel was gone. Overall the amp sounded great after a tube upgrade. And what I know is that the Classice 30 uses an all tube path throughout so you're getting pure tube tone from both channels. If you think it sounds good stock it sounds great after the upgrade. Again IMO.

So it all boils down to what you're after. If you play mostly rock/punk/hardcore with a lot of distortion and little clean I'd say get the JCM900. If you want a good all around amp that works well on both channels and can take pedals well go for the Classic 30 w/tube upgrade. Don't let the 30 watts fool you, this thing is LOUD! The clean breaks up at around 5 but thats already too loud for most band settngs. The volume on 3 on the clean can compete with a heavy drummer. Good luck and most of all take your time. I never regretted selling the JCM for the Classic 30.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2006, 02:42:54 AM »
marco,

the only "bad" thing about the jcm900 4501 is it's power tubes. with the 5881, it isn't a very "marshall" marshall. 5881s are more associated with fenders. im not sure if they're equipped with celestions, but at least im sure they're 12-inch speakers.

the classic 30 have EL84s which are associated with voxs, are like EL34s with less current draw... it's nice, but not quite to my taste which is already quite accustomed to the EL34s. not sure if you would love those blue marvel speakers too. not sure if they're 10 inches.

of course, 50 vs 30 watts is another thing that you might want to consider.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2006, 09:30:49 AM »
Hey very nice info guys! Thanks!  

By the way, I contacted that German prick Tom (yes, he can be bery rude on the phone) and told me that he has several amps that fit my budget:

1971 Fender Champ - 12w, 1x8in speaker.

1995 Fender VibroSonic - 120w, 1x15in speraker.

Fender Bassman 10 - Forgot the wattage, 4x10 in. speaker.

Musicman 112RD - 65w, 1x12in speaker.

Now, any opinions on this? I know I'm getting to be very annoying but I REALLY want to make sure that the money I spend on this amp will be worth it because this'll be my first tube amp.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2006, 10:10:10 AM »
peavey classic 30
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 04:17:21 PM »
Quote from: titser_marco

By the way, I contacted that German prick Tom (yes, he can be bery rude on the phone) and told me that he has several amps that fit my budget:

Now, any opinions on this? I know I'm getting to be very annoying but I REALLY want to make sure that the money I spend on this amp will be worth it because this'll be my first tube amp.

whoa! tell me which one you're getting... i might pay tom a visit...

i wanna check that that musicman (it's a hybrid) and vibrosonic (i'll look it up, but the 1x15 just gave me a hard on)

problem is, they're probably too heavy and/or bulky for me... oh well...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2006, 11:28:02 AM »
Quote from: fretburner

whoa! tell me which one you're getting... i might pay tom a visit...

i wanna check that that musicman (it's a hybrid) and vibrosonic (i'll look it up, but the 1x15 just gave me a hard on)

problem is, they're probably too heavy and/or bulky for me... oh well...

Sure, I'll give you feedback immediately. Thanks

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

Sure, I'll give you feedback immediately. Thanks

cool.

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2006, 08:01:34 PM »
Peavey's are more straightforward than Marshalls...you'd be paying more for the Marshall just because it has that on it's nameplate.

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2006, 09:51:11 PM »
I have yet to hear a Peavey as good or close sounding as a Marshall Super Lead Head.

Point is that you are not just paying for a nameplate but ideally paying for the expertise and hopefully Jim Marshall's ear for distortion -- ideally because sometimes they make mistakes in their voicing.

But I think Peavey also makes some good tube amps that do overdrive and distortion.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2006, 11:04:46 PM »
I have yet to hear a Peavey as good or close sounding as a Marshall Super Lead Head.

For all I know, you could be right.

However, marco was choosing between a Peavey Classic 30 and a Marshall JCM900 Combo, not a Super Lead Head.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com