hulika

Author Topic: Simple question, is it more about the amp than the guitar?  (Read 9402 times)

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Simple question, is it more about the amp than the guitar?
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 07:38:57 AM »
more on electronics(amp) specially kung your into heavy gain stuff di mapapansin yung guitar mo... pero kung you playing acoustic syempre more on guitar and talent...

why more guitar gas??.... kasi madaling makabili ng decent sounding amp kesa sa guitar na tyambahan yung makukuntento ka sa tunog....
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 09:07:22 AM »

why more guitar gas??.... kasi madaling makabili ng decent sounding amp kesa sa guitar na tyambahan yung makukuntento ka sa tunog....

Interesting insight. I agree. Sa guitars, may added factors pa na kailangan tama yung feel, playability, and maybe even looks, on top of the sound.

Offline Mapz182yo!

• Netizen Level
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
It's more on the amp bro, kc imagine mo gtara with emg pups and you run it through a js schindler amp hindi pure na pure ang lalabas na output compared to a more decent amp such as marshall, fender, mesa boogie etc..  :wave:
"Grades don't measure intelligence and age doesn't define maturity"

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2012, 01:42:47 PM »
problem: no roadie.
solution: hire one.  :-P

problem: no muscles.
solution: gym.

:-(

just messing around

seriously, so if amps have more impact, which gives us reason to buy em, but end up tired from bringing them (for practical reasons mentioned here), does it mean that the amp is not used to its true potential and may mean that buying amps is not worth it?

for me, i have a serious boner for amps more than guitars and would always balance my gas. 1 guitar : 1 amp at a time, or alternately. medyo matagal nga lang talaga bago makabili  :oops:

siya nga pala. bakit mas mahal ang mahal na gitara(i.e. 59 burst) kaysa sa mahal na amp(i.e dumble)? :eek:
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »
siya nga pala. bakit mas mahal ang mahal na gitara(i.e. 59 burst) kaysa sa mahal na amp(i.e dumble)? :eek:

baket? kasi mura lang ang budget para sa cheeseburger ni Howard Dumble.  :lol:

hmm, good question... old wood? iconic? for the vintage strats nasa 25k naman ang starting nila so mas comparable to amps. yang 59 lang naman ang lumayo...  :-\
no pic, no advise...

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
baket? kasi mura lang ang budget para sa cheeseburger ni Howard Dumble.  :lol:

hmm, good question... old wood? iconic? for the vintage strats nasa 25k naman ang starting nila so mas comparable to amps. yang 59 lang naman ang lumayo...  :-\

yung broadcaster at nocaster din malayo. hahaha! may nakita akong '57 na strat nasa $60k din e.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
yung tunog sa nakikinig, yes.

yung sarap para sa tumutugtog, no, its the other way around.

Offline Al Nico Five

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2012, 07:32:31 AM »
The reason why guitar players cuss about the venues amp.

Hehehe mismo brod
buzz free

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 08:03:38 PM »
I think it was deltaslim who formulated it so simply: better to have great amp + so-so guitar than to have a great guitar + so-so amp.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
my analogy here:

pro camera + kit lens = mediocre photos

entry level camera + pro lens = great photos

"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
yes
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
TONE IS IN THE AMP. I swear and live by this. if only I realized earlier, then I wouldn't have spent so much on pedals =))
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
TONE IS IN THE AMP. I swear and live by this. if only I realized earlier, then I wouldn't have spent so much on pedals =))

But pedals are fun!  :lol:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
Let me try to answer this tough question:

Level 1:
If you are after the correct timbre -- mainly its the amp and more likely the speaker cabinet qualities and speaker.  After that, its your pickups and the design of your guitar in terms of construction, wood, hardware and strings.

Level 2:
If you are after expressiveness -- mainly its the guitar specifically the unique marriage of distinct pieces of wood.  After that, its enhanced by the responsive qualities of the amp and the speaker cabinet.

Level 3:
Great expressive guitar and 'tonefully' touch sensitive amp with correct speaker combination.  This is the ultimate set up.   Unfortunately, very few get to this level.  I would say in Manila only less than 10% get to level 1.  At level 2, less than 5%.  At level 3, thats me and a few others.  :)

Honorable Mention:
Pedals are indeed fun but detrimental to the whole sound.  So, use sparingly in combination with your Level 3 set up.  What I mean by sparingly is one or two pedals in front and one or two pedals in the FX loop (either modulation, delay or reverb) and make sure you can switch it out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:30:50 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2018, 10:50:30 AM »
But pedals are fun!  :lol:

indeed they are HAHAHAHA the quest for the perfect dirt is real!
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
Fuzz also is fun..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
Amp , tube amps. EL34s the big glass kind of valve amp.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »
Amp , tube amps. EL34s the big glass kind of valve amp.

does tube size matter?
doh!!!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
I’ve owned EL84s for a long time and still do but when I got hold of an Orange Thunderverb and heard big KT88s and that bass response coupled with a great attenuator....awesome.

But this is just from a guy playing in his bedroom. No experience playing with big glass valves live.
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2018, 05:49:06 PM »
is it more about the amp than the guitar? based on what i've owned and what i've played....yes  :)

But then again, if you plug in a great sounding guitar that is set-up perfectly to your taste to a glorious sounding amplifier eq'd to your specs...all bets are off.
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Stoop

« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
If i can only invest generously on one thing i will always prioritized amps and a great speaker cabinet. I mean if I get enough funding it will probably most likely go to a bogner shiva/ecstasy and their amazing OS 2 x 12 cab. That is IF I have that kind of moolah. Pakiramdam ko kasi kayang buhatin ng matikas na amp ang so-so na gitara kesa sa so-so na amp tapos top of the line na gitara

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »
If i can only invest generously on one thing i will always prioritized amps and a great speaker cabinet. I mean if I get enough funding it will probably most likely go to a bogner shiva/ecstasy and their amazing OS 2 x 12 cab. That is IF I have that kind of moolah. Pakiramdam ko kasi kayang buhatin ng matikas na amp ang so-so na gitara kesa sa so-so na amp tapos top of the line na gitara

Agreed.

Tone monster amps coupled with just standard guitars set up properly would be good enough.