hulika

Author Topic: Silverchair - young modern  (Read 2306 times)

Offline bigtimecommercial

Silverchair - young modern
« on: April 07, 2007, 05:43:54 AM »

Silverchair, Young Modern (Atlantic, 2007)
The new album by Australian post-Nirvana kiddie rock legends Silverchair - their first in five years - won't be out until July here in the US, but it comes out next week in Australia. I hope it doesn't get widely bootlegged or anything.

YOUNG MODERN STATION

What, like Zoo Station? Anyhoo, this lacks much of a hook, but I can appreciate the sheer musicianship of it.

STRAIGHT LINES

The lead single I posted about a while ago. It's still kinda soft for my liking, but what are you gonna do?

IF YOU KEEP LOSING SLEEP

Not unlike "Across the Night" from Diorama except that it seems to make up for what it lacks in decent hooks with utter wackiness.

REFLECTIONS OF A SOUND

A relatively straigthforward ballad, but, hey, it works.

THOSE THIEVING BIRDS (PART 1)/STRANGE BEHAVIOUR/THOSE THIEVING BIRDS (PART 2)

An epic in three parts, on some ol' side two of Abbey Road ish.

THAT MAN THAT KNEW TOO MUCH

A mid tempo, piano-based number in the vein of something Billy Joel might have attempted 30 years ago. But noiser.

WAITING ALL DAY

If Coldplay did this, it would be the most Coldplay-ish thing Coldplay has done since like 2002.

MIND READER

And what's this supposed to be? Silverchair's take on southern rock? Hold on loosely!

LOW

What would an '07-era rock album be without an homage to Springsteen? This one's actually kinda cool though.

INSOMNIA

A vaguely punk-ish number about, you guessed it, not being able to sleep.

ALL ACROSS THE WORLD

Another Diorama-esque ballad that doesn't really come off, especially the part with the choir.

COMMENTS: As it turns out, this new Silverchair is kind of a disappointment. For the first half of it, it sounds like they're going for some of those big ballads like they did on Diorama, but, for the most part the hooks just aren't there. The second half, where it sounds like they're trying on a lot of new sounds, is more of a mixed bag. It's obvious they've got the chops to try any number of things, which is not to say that they definitely should.

BEST TRACKS: "Young Modern Station" "Reflections of a Sound" "Low"

BONUS VIDEO: "Straight Lines"

reviews from: http://www.byroncrawford.com/2007/03/silverchair_you.html
Growing old isn\\\'t bad at all.

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Silverchair - young modern
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 06:10:48 PM »
Baka kasi na-influence na sila nung 1 pang band ni Daniel Johns and Paul Mac yung Dissociatives. I miss the old Silverchair sound. Yung tipong "frogstomp" and "freakshow" na albums. Pero oks din sakin yung "Diorma" :-D

Offline rajhan lennon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 05:50:18 AM »
is this record out in d lokal market already? miss ko na rin old sound nila.., frogstomp-freakshow.., astig din neon ballroom-diorama.., kakaiba na sounds nila ngaun eh noh?? :-)

im a real nowhere walrus

Offline bassbacx

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:28:01 AM »
Sana i-distribute nila sa Pinas ito............ bibili ako agad.............
she thinks she missed the train to mars, she's out back counting stars...

a kiss that send us off.........

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 02:50:10 AM »
i got a copy of the CD. also uploaded it for downloads. who wants a copy?  :evil:

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 01:09:57 PM »
i have a copy. i didn't like it. they're trying to sound "in" and modern Brit rock when they already had their own identity/niche before. baka wala na silang pera.. tsktsk chix pa naman yung asawa ni Daniel Johns (Natalie Imbruglia)  :|
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline edgarthewalrus

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 06:01:49 PM »
sobrang layo ng sound nito from all their previous albums.. from frogstomp to diorama, andun yung silverchair sound pero in this album, kakaiba talaga.. the first time i listen to it, di ako nagandahan unlike with their other albums na after 1 listen lang e nagandahan na agad ako.. pero i still like this one after several spins.. i'm a big silverchair fan kahit anong mangyari!  :mrgreen:

btw baka gusto nyo mapanood ito straight lines live http://www74.megaupload.com/files/9cafc365064b72aec5c7b7eba6a4bc29/Straight%20Lines%20(Rove%2001.04.07).avi
http://www.hyneriamosssoundscape.wordpress.com
SOLD ITEMS TO foresight, yearling, dread_head, reggaenursenikew, ramnem, child309, dom_pag0ng
BOUGHT ITEMS harkanie27,userzeroone, morphine

Offline rajhan lennon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 03:19:11 PM »
^ ndi ko rin msyado ngustuhan ang bgo nilang tunog nung pinakinggan ko sa myspace pero since im a big fan of daniel johns, im gonna stay true 4ever... long live silverchair pa rin! i am i am israel son! israel son i am!  :-D

im a real nowhere walrus

Offline otistikako

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »
they're pretty good..in the yesteryears.  :-)
All these accidents,
That happen,
Follow the dot, Coincidence, Makes sense, Only with you, You don't have to speak, I feel.

Offline matteotanga

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 03:03:12 AM »
the best parin silverchair sa una medyo nakakapanibago lang pero after mga ilang araw ok din pala!!!
i'm walking on a strait line!!!
Steady lang..

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 05:43:07 PM »
i guess its safe to say that they have matured in terms of songwriting and production. but i really love the old sound. its really raw straight on rock and roll
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:28:15 PM »
LSS ako sa STRAIGHT LINE at REFLECTIONS OF A SOUND

adrlucy

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
a must have album.

Offline bitusan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 07:52:48 PM »
silverchair ba kamO?

Offline dissociative

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 02:05:06 AM »
I'm a big fan in the country for quite some time now, and been following the band for a few years now, through their own official forum. Anyway, if you're quite familiar with the Chair, the new album is quite something easy to adapt to. I like their idea of reinventing every album since NB. YM is all fine, and you pretty get much of everything in the album since has a lot of variety, but like all albums, there will be some songs you wont be digging. They've pretty gotten in touch with their Pop side, which to me kinda sucks. Great to see pinoy fans around! :D You gotta be more open minded when listening to the album as well.

The band funded the album themselves and got over their budget, but its paying off pretty well in Australia.

Fav. tracks are: Straight Lines, If You Keep Losing Sleep, Those Thieving Birds/Strange Behaviour, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Low, All Across the World :D