hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 312492 times)

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2007, 02:27:08 PM »
You can inquire with Audiophile about locally available gear. For soundcards, JB and other Salonga branches carry the M-Audio brand. TMS carries some Mackie firewire components like Onyx mixers. The choices locally are more limited compared to abroad. If you can order from online stores, be aware that warranties can be a bit of a problem if you have to order from them.

and you can still order emu from axisglobal, through their accredited retail stores.

but the markup's somethin like a 100%, and it takes 45 days.  last time i spoke with michelle, the product manager for creative, it's not saleable, hence the lack of stock.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »
but the markup's somethin like a 100%, and it takes 45 days.  last time i spoke with michelle, the product manager for creative, it's not saleable, hence the lack of stock.

Of course it's not saleable... no one is marketing the product properly.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #177 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:52 AM »
uh... thanks... so i'd just need to inquire about the prices...
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2007, 12:36:17 AM »
uh... thanks... so i'd just need to inquire about the prices...

marvinq is selling his 1820m if you're interested...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2007, 03:18:40 AM »
sir ito po question:
para saan ba ang audio interface?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2007, 07:09:15 AM »
para saan ba ang audio interface?

From wiki: "An interface defines the communication boundary between two entities, such as a piece of software, a hardware device, or a user."

So, basically, an audio interface is what a computer uses to translate analog sound into binary digits for encoding (A/D conversion), and for translating binary code back into analog sound for playback (D/A conversion).

In short, an audio interface is a soundcard.

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2007, 12:24:29 PM »
we record songs using an mp3 voice recorder (its in wav format by default). is there a software which can enhance the files? where can i buy those?
i just want to reduce the noise

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2007, 09:37:49 PM »
we record songs using an mp3 voice recorder (its in wav format by default). is there a software which can enhance the files? where can i buy those?
i just want to reduce the noise

hmmm same thing when you use a celphone... i've tried lots of programs but nothing seems to work...
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2007, 10:21:01 PM »
hmmm same thing when you use a celphone... i've tried lots of programs but nothing seems to work...

Add to that the fact that mp3 recorders and cellphones use lossy data compression. There is no way to regain the frequencies that were lost as a result of that data compression.

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
sad...  :oops:

Offline dorothegreat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2008, 10:33:43 PM »
sir kit, paano po ba pagrecord (guitar tracks pro) na yung guitar lamang po ang mare-record sa track? :?

kasi pag nagplay ako ng backing tracks ay nagsasama sila nung guitar ko sa track, sana po ay yung guitar lang at hindi kasama ung backing track,

salamat po  :-D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
sir kit, paano po ba pagrecord (guitar tracks pro) na yung guitar lamang po ang mare-record sa track? :?

If you are using a soundblaster or something similar, stop using "What-You-Hear".  Open the soundcard mixer application and make sure you are adjusting recording volumes and not playback. Activate the "Line In" only; make sure the other faders are not active.

Offline dorothegreat

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2008, 09:56:15 AM »
salamat po ulit sir kit

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2008, 12:06:57 PM »
 this might be a silly question for some of you but i dont exactly know what does lightpipe really do.just wondrin if i need this for my future home studio set up.im opting for a presonus firestudio firewire and do i need to get anything else aside from that im since im just starting out?last but not the least what would be the next addition that might further enhance and improve my recording?when it comes to some additional rack gear.thanks in advance po.
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. For in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working, nor planning, nor knowledge, nor wisdom"  - Ecclesiastes 9:10

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2008, 12:48:06 PM »
this might be a silly question for some of you but i dont exactly know what does lightpipe really do.just wondrin if i need this for my future home studio set up.im opting for a presonus firestudio firewire and do i need to get anything else aside from that im since im just starting out?last but not the least what would be the next addition that might further enhance and improve my recording?when it comes to some additional rack gear.thanks in advance po.

Lightpipe is merely marketing speak for fiber optic cable. Fiber optics is used for digital transmission of audio using 2 protocols at this time: S/pdif and ADAT. There is another format but this is often used in consumer systems: DTS and Dolby surround formats. Lightpipe is only necessary if you have equipment that supports ADAT or s/dpif, like 8-preamp converters (Behringer ADA8000 for ex.) which connect to soundcard with ADAT ports. Same with s/pdif, although s/pdif also has an electrical (coax) equivalent.

Before investing in a lot of gear, invest in your room first. Getting great gear is useless if you don't have a good room to record in.

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
 thanks forthe enlightenmen sir kitc.been struggling to somehow finalize my set up since there's plenty of audio interfaces out there that offers numerous features and somehow made me totally confused on what would i really do need for a basic recording.maybe through experience and research ill be able to comprehend deeper and more complex approach into this field.

and with regards about the room i do happen to have an extra room that sizes up around 20 sq meters(approx.area).no acoustic treatment whatsoever but when i play my guitar(acoustic/with an amp) and music playbacks it actually sounds good.with a lil echo and and close to non reverberation of the walls.

would you recommend presonus firestudio sirkit?with all its features i think its not that bad for a start.8 inputs is a ++ since im planning to mic our drumset to make it more realistic/lively than just getting tracks from a drum software plugin.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 04:10:09 PM by Fretduster »
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. For in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working, nor planning, nor knowledge, nor wisdom"  - Ecclesiastes 9:10

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2008, 02:09:56 PM »
I haven't been reading good things about Presonus lately with regards to drivers and in some cases, build quality. You might want to consider the Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 I/O which also has 8 mic preamps, but no ADAT ports unfortunately (the Saffire Pro 26 has ADAT expandability). What exactly is your definition of 'basic recording'? I suggest determining how many inputs you will require and work around that. It's usually ok to start with 8 inputs for starters - let the equipment pay for itself first before moving on to other gear. One thing I really would spend on are good preamps and mics.

You mention echo in your room. In some cases, this is nice but if you cannot control the timing of the echo, it may not fit some of your recordings which have a different tempo. Worse, you may experience 'flutter' which is distracting for vocals to say the least. Then there is the even greater possibility that room modes will cause uneven frequency response. At least invest in some absorption and diffusion panels to help you control room reflections; this will minimize a 'boxy' sounding room. You can google around for DIY bass traps and other panels to lessen costs.

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
  hmm its odd bacause with all the reviews ive read lately were at least 75% good towards presonus especially with firestudio and fp10.or maybe they're all fished reviews.well i'll take it from the pro and give some research with focusrite saffire.and oh btw m audio project mix i/ is also in my mind but would that be too advance for me?i might get some fund for it a month from now so i guess i still have a month to decide.and btw with presonus firestudio its preamps arent good enough?

about echos,good point also sir kitc.im eye ing for some auralex and i forgot the other brand that offers way cheaper than auralex with the same effective solution.ive read something that stated it removes flutter echos so that mightbe the perfect thing for me.just need to experiment on how much of the wall should i cover with knowing that placing it inappropriately and excessive might somehow completely destroy my room's natural characteristic.i have a little to no knowledge at all about treating a room.way back in phils ive seen people used eggcrates and im not sure if that solution actually worked for them.maybe i should patch 2 (2x2's of wedgies) behind and opposite of the monitors?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:11:33 PM by Fretduster »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2008, 04:13:59 PM »
Instead of magazine reviews, try to read more on user reviews; you will find more revealing traits about Presonus gear - since I'm primarily a Sonar user, the Sonar forums do mention these Presonus quirks a lot. This is not to say that all Presonus stuff are bad, but the Firestudio/Firepod has some idiosyncracies which can affect your productivity. The Firestudio preamps are good enough if you're worried about them, but if you get a chance to compare them to really good preamps, say something like a Grace Design Model 101, you'll know what I mean. I'm thinking that adding a very good clock might improve the Firestudio's converters substantially, but we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Eggcrates? Stay away from them.

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2008, 11:10:13 PM »
why are eggcrates inadvisable?

Offline Fretduster

« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2008, 12:06:17 AM »
  actually i've read those reviews from musician's friend/music 123 and zzounds.com but since im planning to use sonar well that made me think a lot lol.ive checked that saffire pro 26/adat that you've recommended and it looks promising with all those features.i just hope it works fine with whatever software im gonna use along the way.for now my idea is to get myself used to digital recording with a basic recording set up.i was actually a bit amazed when i first saw line6 kb37 but ive heard some bad stuff about it like white noise and stuff that made me backed off.ahhh comments will surely make you go back and forth with your decisions hehe.but its been a great help sir kit and i would definitely consider your recommendations and thanks for the time answering my noob questions   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 01:14:49 PM by Fretduster »

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2008, 09:31:23 AM »
HELLO! here i am again!  :-)

ive got music creator2 and guitar tracks installed on my pc(i wish i could get a sonar pr installer).

When i made recordings, it was always without drumtracks, then a friend of mine, gave me this .exe's: Cakewalk sound instruments bass, strings and drums.

Question:

How do i use them? Because when i open the record program and open the .exe's the sound instruments wont sound? how do i use it?

i dont have any mixers, diretso ako sa line in ng pc(dunno if this matters)

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:12:48 AM by progressive_pilipinas »
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2008, 11:13:40 AM »
then a friend of mine, gave me this .exe's: Cakewalk sound instruments bass, strings and drums.

Question:

How do i use them? Because when i open the record program and open the .exe's the sound instruments wont sound? how do i use it?

Gave, you say? Hmmmm...

Anyway, Guitar Tracks doesn't do midi (AFAIK it's a purely audio recording program) and Cake's Instruments are vst instruments which require midi in order to trigger, so... it's basically useless for you unless you have another midi capable sequencer like Sonar or Cubase.

Offline raki

« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2008, 05:37:17 AM »
Question lang po.. i'm not sure if this question belongs here or somewhere else, kasi general ang yopis to Recording.. but it seems like if i'll find any Sonar User dito 'yun or sa Cakewalk forums... pero hanapin ko na rin doon later while waiting for a reply dito..

...sa mga tracks sa Sonar, like one track pwedeng magkaron ng multiple clips (nangyayari pag nag copy and paste ako). so okay lang sana since isang track lang naman kaso medyo nakakairita na hindi ko alam kung pano sila i merge.. nakita ko lang using the Help Function is "Bounce to Clip" (yata?), tapos pag ginawa ko naman.. nawawala yung clip?!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2008, 06:30:05 AM »
@raki

better wait for KitC's post. AFAIK He's the only Sonar Master here at philmusic.

;)
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]