hulika

Author Topic: Experiences Having your gear fixed.  (Read 2691 times)

glowstick

Experiences Having your gear fixed.
« on: June 06, 2007, 05:19:25 PM »
Any GOOD or BAD experiences having your gear (amp/processors/microphones/etc) fixed?

Lets get it on!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Experiences Having your gear fixed.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 05:28:37 PM »
I once had to have my Emu 1820m RMA'd to Dublin, Ireland because the Audiodock started failing on me 2 months after I got it. Total shipping cost? P7,500 back and forth  :x

The replacement dock, however, has been working faultlessly almost daily ever since.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:50 PM »
I once had to have my Emu 1820m RMA'd to Dublin, Ireland because the Audiodock started failing on me 2 months after I got it. Total shipping cost? P7,500 back and forth  :x

The replacement dock, however, has been working faultlessly almost daily ever since.

ikaw ang sumagot ng 7.5k ? grabe naman yan.

ako naman nagpabili sakin ng studio projects B1 condenser mic yung friend ko. mangyari pagdating samin nung item sira, may parang rumbling sound. ang ginawa namin nag record kami ng soundclip then sinend namin sa pinag bilhan (audiomidi.com) and sa studio projects mismo.

ang sabi nung tao sa studio projects, isoli lang daw sa binilhan and ibigay contact address ng sales dept. sila na daw bahala mag handle nun i'll get a replacement daw w/out spending anything. yung audiomidi.com naman ang sabi, ibalik ko daw yung sira, i pa pickup ko daw sa UPS and they gave me their account #. sabihin ko daw sa UPS na i charge sa account # ng audiomdi.com pero nagbigay sila ng warning na if proven hindi naman sira yung mic, babayaran ko daw yung shipping nung mic from phils to US and from US ulit pabalik ng pinas.

buti naman sira nga talaga yung MIC ehehe kaya ayun pinadalhan nila kami ng bago w/ out spending anything.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »

If it's any consolation, over at the Unofficial Emu Forums that I'm a member of, I've been member-of-the-month several times over and have won 9 Emu soundsets for my EmulatorX and will be anticipating my 10th. So my 'initial investment' somewhat returned.  :-D
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
wooo...those are some hardcore honors for an Emu user. Kit, you really are the undisputed Emu guru of this board. Me? I troll at the RME and Digidesign newsgroups:) Maybe they have an honor for troll-of-the-month?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 02:46:37 PM »

If it's any consolation, over at the Unofficial Emu Forums that I'm a member of, I've been member-of-the-month several times over and have won 9 Emu soundsets for my EmulatorX and will be anticipating my 10th. So my 'initial investment' somewhat returned.  :-D

nice ehehe how do i get a chance to win as member of the month sa board na yun ? ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 03:01:37 PM »
nice ehehe how do i get a chance to win as member of the month sa board na yun ? ?

Well, OT na to but, just do what I do here, post and help people (it also helps that I've become very familiar with my 1820m). It's getting to the point where I have no more Sound Central soundbanks to choose from.

Here's a pic taken several months ago of the sounds:

Since then, I've received the Techno Synth Construction Yard and Old World Instruments. I might choose Beat Garden X next; a lucky philmusic forumer got a great deal on an extra soundset (Street Kits) that I happened to choose twice!  :-D

@glowstick, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 09:48:43 PM »
Medyo OT na nga pero nice KitC! mayron pa sana ako kwento isang experience re: a guitar amp naman eh ok siguro yun no gear parin naman yun eh diba ?

Well, OT na to but, just do what I do here, post and help people (it also helps that I've become very familiar with my 1820m). It's getting to the point where I have no more Sound Central soundbanks to choose from.

Here's a pic taken several months ago of the sounds:

Since then, I've received the Techno Synth Construction Yard and Old World Instruments. I might choose Beat Garden X next; a lucky philmusic forumer got a great deal on an extra soundset (Street Kits) that I happened to choose twice!  :-D

@glowstick, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:57:24 PM »
Medyo OT na nga pero nice KitC! mayron pa sana ako kwento isang experience re: a guitar amp naman eh ok siguro yun no gear parin naman yun eh diba ?

Mga repair experiences naman ang thread 'to, according to the thread starter. But I have an interesting anecdote about my drum pad.

I bought it brand new, then about a couple of weeks later, the pad's display was telling me that the battery that kept the unit's internal ram energized (so that when you turned the unit off, it retained the patch memory), needed to be replaced. Of course, I went to the head office where I bought it from and complained. The product manager told me that the battery was not covered by the warranty and even went on to tell me that even when you buy a brand new car, the battery wasn't included in the warranty.

My first reaction?  :-o Then  :x   I was thinking "WTF?! Do I look like I was born yesterday? How am I going to replace the effing battery without voiding the effing warranty?" By comparison, my then 3 yr. old X3 which I bought in Sam Ash, Union, NJ in 1995 still had it's battery going strong and is still operating with the SAME battery I bought it with. If the same thing happened to the X3 while I was still in NJ, I could have had it checked and repaired with minimal fuss, and even replaced if I was dissatisfied with the unit.

In the end, the product manager relented and replaced the battery, but not without a repartee about the cost of the battery.  :x  With what I had in my pocket at that time, I could have bought 200 of those batteries. grrr...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 07:19:55 PM by KitC »

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
...a lucky philmusic forumer got a great deal on an extra soundset (Street Kits) that I happened to choose twice!  :-D...

ang suerte naman nun.  hehe.

:-) :-) :-)

@glowstick,

i'm also sorry for hijacking your thread, but i've never had problem with gettin my gear fixed.  it's usually a case of it failin within warranty - meaning direct replacement lang naman.  otherwise it'd work well naman for a long time, until i'd replace it with improved equipment.  i'm always crossin my fingers tho.  tryin to get more work done than fussin over whether certain equipment'd fail on me.  hehe.

at any rate, i think that manufacturing and technology has risen in quality naman.  so as long as you get a product made by reputable companies, you'd probably get more work done.

if it's any help, the guys at forerunner tech and joint venture act fast on faulty equipment.  mabilis naman sila magbigay ng replacement unit as long as may stock pa.

:razz::razz::razz:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »
...a lucky philmusic forumer got a great deal on an extra soundset (Street Kits) that I happened to choose twice!  :-D...

ang suerte naman nun.  hehe.

x,

I'm fast running out of soundset choices. If ever I win again, just tell me what you want, then we talk.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2007, 01:23:51 AM »
sure sir kitc!  i'd be more than happy to take em off your hands.  hope they let you take home the MSO tho!  curious bout that soundset, barely any reviews din kasi.

:razz::razz::razz:

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 09:23:57 PM »
dami ko na din bad experiences sa gear service center fixing...hirap lagay dito..kakahiya...baka may fellow forumer tayo trabaho dun..hehhe...thanks glowstick!!! OT uy kala namin punta ka nung workshop!
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

glowstick

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »
Hey guys no issues for hijacking as long as we all post sensibly.

Anyway my advise to everyone is to keep all invoices.  In case there is a warranty repair, keep it as proof of when you purchased your gear.  Should the distributor charge you for anything while inside warranty, just write an email to the manufacturer is this must be the case.

It is not very far that distributors here will charge you for something that they will also charge the manufacturer for as warranty service...Double whammy income for them.  This is highly unethical so be on your guard.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
Blew some tweeters from studio monitors in the past... replaced with original parts from respective service dealers. 

Lesson:  Route your monitors from your DAW's outputs, not from the mixing board (I used to overload my mixer much because of my love for high volume :D)

glowstick

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:28 AM »
better yet skunk get a level pilot from tc electronic...take note level pilot and not the p2 level pilot.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 12:23:55 PM »
better yet skunk get a level pilot from tc electronic...take note level pilot and not the p2 level pilot.

Wow gastos na naman!  hehehe.  Buti na lang my DAW's analog outs  don't go beyond +3dbVU.  That's enough for my monitors and amps to handle.

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:07:47 PM »
I've had good experiences with RMA process.

- digi002 to Japan and back

- Lynx Aurora 16 to USA and back

both occasions I shouldered the freight cost.