Poll

you can find tone in the

sticks
0 (0%)
drumheads
5 (38.5%)
wood used on the shell
0 (0%)
shell type construction (ply,steambent,stave,segmented)
0 (0%)
its in the face
1 (7.7%)
purely technique
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: tone is in the ...  (Read 6167 times)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
tone is in the ...
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:07:42 AM »
gayahin natin ang mga geetarers  :-D

great players can make mediocre kits sound good while we mere mortals make good kits sound... :-P

nasan sa palagay nyo ang pinakamalaking factor kung pano gumanda o pumangit ang tunog ng drums:

a) stick
b) head
c) wood used on the shell
d) shell construction
e) nasa asim ng mukha
f) wala sa mga yan, nasa teknik lang ng palo

naniniwala ako na nasa mukha yan!

:-D  :-D  :-D

let the rumble begin

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: tone is in the ...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:26:42 AM »
i think more than anything, good quality drumheads (of course kasama na ang tuning dun kasi you can't put heads on a kit and not know how to tune) make a drumset, kahit anong drumset pa yan, sound great.

nakakatawa, meron pang "it's in the face" dun sa choices. in my opinionkahit uminom ka pa ng isang tasang suka para paasimin ang mukha mo habang nagddrums kung tunog karton o lata naman ang lumalabas, bali wali rin ang pag-emote mo.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:27:53 AM by pmack »

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »
Kung sa face yan, paano na si Neil Peart?!

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:19:09 AM »
boto ka gep

Offline jasperjugan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:23:57 AM »
I think nasa head yan

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
Nakaboto na.

Sa technique yan. Kasama ng tamang technique sa pagtono, maraming technique ng palo para mahanap ang tamang tunog ng head - papitik na palo, bagsakan na palo, pagilid, rimshot, etc. At kapag naging bihasa na sa pagpalo, alam na kung alin ang gagamitin sa kung aling drumhead. Kaya pwedeng mahanap ang disente, kung hindi maganda, na tunog ng drums.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:31:22 AM by Gep »

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:10:22 AM »
I think nasa head yan

sir boto kay sa taas.
peace!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 11:41:09 AM »
I vote:

1. TECHNIQUE - even bad heads CAN sound great in the hands of a good drummer!  i've seen this happen many times.  excellent drummers simply have the power to adjust to whatever equipment they have. 

2.  quality of the drums (wood and construction) - i had an old fernando drumset that sounded ok but still not as great as my premier drums now.  although, hmmm, come to think of it, when mar dizon played that old fernando kit it just sounded so POGI!  so balik tayo sa technique! hehe

3.  drumheads - admittedly there are drum heads that simply make it easier for the drummer to coax the tone from the drums.  drumheads are prbably the cheapest way to upgrade your sound.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 11:44:05 AM by starfugger »
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 03:39:52 PM »
For me, it's a little of everything.

Possessing good technique allows you to express yourself better and make your playing sound better.

Having proper, good condition, good-quality equipment can further help you sound better.  The drums, the drumheads, and its components (rims, mounting system, etc.) all work together to produce great drum sounds, thus inspiring you to play better and express yourself more effectively.

Yung asim sa mukha?  Hehehe...  Whether you possess a jazz face or not during performances, it's always great to perform with heart and soul... with emotion...  And have the ability to inspire others through your music.

Share ko lang... I've witnessed masters such as Mar Dizon And Benjie Mendez jam on ugly, neglected, dilapidated drumkits, and they still burned the house down!  Now how's that for inspiration?

8-)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:52:37 PM by drumster »

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:03:35 PM »

Share ko lang... I've witnessed masters such as Mar Dizon And Benjie Mendez jam on ugly, neglected, dilapidated drumkits, and they still burned the house down!  Now how's that for inspiration?

so nasa muka nga right?

i kid, i kid  :-D

i started this thread as a joke anyway but i agree that you need all of the above to get good tone then add contorted facial expressions to get GREAT tone!

wear a joey mask to play fast! muhahaha

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 04:26:51 PM »
Lahat naman yan contributing factors eh...pero pinaka ang
Techniques.
Assuming na pangit ang drumkit na gagamitin mo sa isang gig (as in bulok nga talaga!) syempre dapat mag adjust ka,instead of doing buzz roll at kung anu-ano pang dynamics na nagagawa mo sa maganda mong kit,di ba sisimplehan mo ang palo mo?...para lang makasabay sa tugtugan yung kit, babaguhin mo yung approach mo....its all in your hands....pero haluan mo na din ng mukha :-D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 04:28:44 PM by Bammbamm »
So Be It.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 04:47:46 PM »
I voted heads.

It's the heads that we actually mostly hear. Good heads have the ability to maximize the note (pitch?) dictated by the shell's size, however the head is tuned.

Shell wood and construction have a say in tone, but I think these have more to do with volume and sustain than the actual sound. Like, if one can hear the notes properly and hear them for a period of time desired, then one can really appreciate the actual sound quality.

STRONG STATEMENT (ready?): I bet if we fitted Starclassic Maples with cheap-ass Lazer heads, they will sound worse than a 20" steel water drum fitted with Remos.

Of course, it would take a real musician to make music out of useless pieces of junk that makes ugly sounds like (say) white noise. :D
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline wax_static

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
if we're going to use hardware as reference, I would say heads....
pero siyempre making it sound good will rely on the technique of the one tuning and playing the kit

:-D

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 05:02:31 PM »
In the guitars section, people have bashed each other when discussing tone, usually about people who can afford expensive boutique gear being insensitive to others who can't but can make do with up to average gear. Buti dito hindi. Astig talaga mga drummer.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline l_e_i_g_h

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
UY puede din no Paolo!!! kasi...pag magaling ka magpakita ng mukha (tama ba? hahahaha)...yung mukha mo yung papansinin nung mga nanonood...hehehe...sa sobrang pansin nila sa mukha mo....kalimutan na nila yung tunog mo.  :lol:

i think more than anything, good quality drumheads (of course kasama na ang tuning dun kasi you can't put heads on a kit and not know how to tune) make a drumset, kahit anong drumset pa yan, sound great.

nakakatawa, meron pang "it's in the face" dun sa choices. in my opinionkahit uminom ka pa ng isang tasang suka para paasimin ang mukha mo habang nagddrums kung tunog karton o lata naman ang lumalabas, bali wali rin ang pag-emote mo.

It's "LEI" not "LEE"

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 05:58:42 PM »
UY puede din no Paolo!!! kasi...pag magaling ka magpakita ng mukha (tama ba? hahahaha)...yung mukha mo yung papansinin nung mga nanonood...hehehe...sa sobrang pansin nila sa mukha mo....kalimutan na nila yung tunog mo.  :lol:

kung ang tao pinanood ka sa stage hindi dahil sa pagpalo mo kung hindi dahil guwapo o maganda ka, eh hindi ka na drummer nun. stage personality ka na! ngak!
hehehe....
joke joke joke!!!
peace!
high five!

Offline Diadem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 06:49:18 PM »
Heads..... pero kung hindi ka rin marnong mag tono ala rin eh
... hahahahahah

Offline Miggleness

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 07:31:46 PM »
i thought my drumset was crap until i heard this guy play on my kit, it sounded awesome!  di ko na babanggitin kugn sino sya. hehe :mrgreen:

Offline drumfreak

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 03:04:13 AM »
ako i voted technique..

lagi ko nakakasabay si zach lucero and usually he just brings with him his snare, rarely his cymbals, although his roster of cymbals made my jaw drop a hundred miles below sea level..

pag sa mayrics namen kasama imago, with that crappy kit, d ko tlga mapatunog ng gs2 ko, although maayos naman, kaso mejo toned down.. pero pag si zach ang nagpatunog, my God, hands down. wala na ako masabe..

one time pa, bumisita sa practice studio namen si master raims, ung kit ko na halos 3/4 na lang ang ride, ts basag ung bottom hi-hat tpos kulubot na ung batter head ng tom, tpos wasak na ung batter head ng floor tom, he made it sound so cool, ndi ko maexplain kung pano, he just started to drop the beat tpos lahat kame napa WOW!

nasa nagpapatunog yan. number one rule saken ni bossing..
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 03:08:12 AM by drumfreak »
im screaming, im shouting...

Offline xalanx

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 10:29:43 AM »
I voted for heads...........

it's quite obvious na heads yun.........
Music is not what I do, It's who I am

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 10:38:39 AM »
haaay

its in the fez` nga e

:-D

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 10:59:11 AM »
hehehehe...
sasaktuhin ko nga na papalo ako pag nagpipigil ako ng *** hehehe...
para sakto mukha ko concentrated. sasabihin ng tao "intense drummer" ako. yun pala intense ang pagpigil. heheheh...

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »
syadong seryoso ang drummer talaga

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
Lagyan mo ng nakausling pako yung sticks mo, para sa tuwing palo mapapangiwi ka talaga, at added effect pa yung dugo. Pag nakita ng mga nanonood yung kamay mo, mapapa-"rakenrol!!!" sila.