hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 497861 times)

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #2725 on: May 06, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I never thought I would find a great sounding PRS.  It took me 30 years to find one...  In my experience, over 95% of PRS guitars just sound dead.  I almost gave up until I was lucky to get this in Japan:

Its a 1993 PRS Custom 24 with Ten Top.

OSAM  :drool:
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2726 on: May 09, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
By the way, just so nobody get the wrong idea, this specific beast of a PRS can do Santana right off the bat specially with the toggle switch engaged.  But really, this guitar does its thing best with hard rock and metal.

Hard to believe but when paired with my higher gain heads; this guitar in its current STOCK form will take down any ESP or IBANEZ and eat them alive.

How does it stack up against the B3?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2727 on: May 09, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
How does it stack up against the B3?

I would say more fun and better...  but of course we are talking about a very special and rare PRS not just because its a 1993.  But a great sounding B3 still kills your average PRS by miles.

But right now, I am shooting out this PRS with my new acquisition ... a Suhr Standard Carve Top. heh heh

Offline rnodern

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2728 on: May 09, 2017, 09:16:59 PM »
PRS collection
http://i.imgur.com/oqHhxlf.jpg
top to bottom:
2008 custom 22, quilted maple top
2003 custom 22, blue mateo, 10 top
2007 CE 22, made for and owned by Howard Leese
1989 CE 24, Alder body, great tone!
2014 SE custom 24 7 string
2003 Tremonti SE
I can't believe I made this mistake. The Customs are both 24's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2729 on: May 10, 2017, 08:08:14 AM »
I would say more fun and better...  but of course we are talking about a very special and rare PRS not just because its a 1993.  But a great sounding B3 still kills your average PRS by miles.

But right now, I am shooting out this PRS with my new acquisition ... a Suhr Standard Carve Top. heh heh

How's the hiyaw factor on this PRS?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline rnodern

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2730 on: May 10, 2017, 08:34:30 AM »
"a great sounding PRS"? I love the tone of every single PRS I own. Admittedly one of the SEs is a bit dark but the rest are versatile, ballsy yet can be delicate and articulate. My 1989 CE 24 is quickly becoming my favourite. Its alder body and bolt on neck give it snap and attack. And the signature PRS pickups give it that familiarity. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to pick up an Alder body PRS. Do it!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2731 on: May 10, 2017, 02:04:48 PM »
How's the hiyaw factor on this PRS?

Over the top...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2732 on: May 10, 2017, 02:06:53 PM »
"a great sounding PRS"? I love the tone of every single PRS I own. Admittedly one of the SEs is a bit dark but the rest are versatile, ballsy yet can be delicate and articulate. My 1989 CE 24 is quickly becoming my favourite. Its alder body and bolt on neck give it snap and attack. And the signature PRS pickups give it that familiarity. If anyone ever gets the opportunity to pick up an Alder body PRS. Do it!

About 98% of PRS guitars sound dead.  You need to find the 2% to determine that the balance 98% sound bad.

Offline rnodern

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2733 on: May 10, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
About 98% of PRS guitars sound dead.  You need to find the 2% to determine that the balance 98% sound bad.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's your personal opinion. But I really don't see how you can classify it as "dead".

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2734 on: May 10, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. It's your personal opinion. But I really don't see how you can classify it as "dead".

I HEAR more than I SEE. :)

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2735 on: May 11, 2017, 08:28:22 AM »
Over the top...

So it's more of a bulyaw then?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2736 on: May 11, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »

I would love to see the reaction of Paul Reed Smith if you say this to his face haha. Forum comment, he most probably won't give afuq. Face to face and he'd probably have a thing or two to say about it.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2737 on: May 11, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline rnodern

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2738 on: May 11, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »
I would love to see the reaction of Paul Reed Smith if you say this to his face haha. Forum comment, he most probably won't give afuq. Face to face and he'd probably have a thing or two to say about it.
I just simply dont agree with the comment. Im not blinded by asthetics. I have ears. And I've done my share of mixes. Dead is not a quality I would even remotely begin to describe the tone as. Even the 305's single coil models sound great. It's one guys opinion that, in my opinion, stems from something else entirely.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2739 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »
I just simply dont agree with the comment. Im not blinded by asthetics. I have ears. And I've done my share of mixes. Dead is not a quality I would even remotely begin to describe the tone as. Even the 305's single coil models sound great. It's one guys opinion that, in my opinion, stems from something else entirely.

I'm sure we've all seen PRS's TedTalk on tone where he talked about guitars being subtractive instruments and how they do their best to use components that will "return" as much energy back as what has been applied to the guitar, etc (if you havent seen it go look it up on Youtube). And we all know that PRS himself believes in magical guitars where "practically all notes feed back and sounds like an ebow" to paraphrase Paul's own words (look for Paul's Youtube video of him talking about how his relationship with Carlos Santana started).

I think what OAS is referring to as "dead-sounding" are guitars which "subtract" a lot of energy which is applied to it. As PRS himself would say in his videos, "you give it 7 and it will give back 2 or 3". And "magical" guitars in turn would "subtract" very minimal energy which is applied to it so it resonates and sings and what not. As Paul himself would say, "You give it a 7 and it gives back 6.5".

I think OAS and Paul are on the same page on that. What I think they would disagree with is the 2% part.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:53:32 AM by Skybox »
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2740 on: May 11, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »

Well, he asked why I had to attend this [gooey brown stuff]? (backstage at ther PRS experience in Tokyo).  Couldn't believe why I had to fly all the way from Manila to attend his dealer's show.  Spent a lot of time with his head of production.  Basically, they said: why should we waste 99 average sounding PRS guitars to produce one exceptional sounding PRS guitar?  We rather produce 100 above average sounding PRSes and 0 exceptional ones.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 10:33:18 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2741 on: May 11, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
So it's more of a bulyaw then?

I see.  Time has NOT been kind to your ears all this time that I was gone.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2742 on: May 11, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
I'm sure we've all seen PRS's TedTalk on tone where he talked about guitars being subtractive instruments and how they do their best to use components that will "return" as much energy back as what has been applied to the guitar, etc (if you havent seen it go look it up on Youtube). And we all know that PRS himself believes in magical guitars where "practically all notes feed back and sounds like an ebow" to paraphrase Paul's own words (look for Paul's Youtube video of him talking about how his relationship with Carlos Santana started).

I think what OAS is referring to as "dead-sounding" are guitars which "subtract" a lot of energy which is applied to it. As PRS himself would say in his videos, "you give it 7 and it will give back 2 or 3". And "magical" guitars in turn would "subtract" very minimal energy which is applied to it so it resonates and sings and what not. As Paul himself would say, "You give it a 7 and it gives back 6.5".

I think OAS and Paul are on the same page on that. What I think they would disagree with is the 2% part.

But Paul forgot to mention about this one that you put in 7 and it gives out 10.

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2743 on: May 11, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »
Just like "D good ol' days"  ^-^
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2744 on: May 11, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Just like "D good ol' days"  ^-^

Nakaka miss kaya haha.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2745 on: May 11, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
But Paul forgot to mention about this one that you put in 7 and it gives out 10.

He actually did mention that in his TedTalk and he said you're not gonna get 10 if you put in 7.  :-D

It's a great video just search "Paul Reed Smith TedTalk". Watch it NAO!  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2746 on: May 11, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2747 on: May 11, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
He actually did mention that in his TedTalk and he said you're not gonna get 10 if you put in 7.  :-D

I have been searching for a great sounding PRS since 1989 (I salivated over his catalog as a kid in 1987 -- snail mail style).  I have tried numerous PRS everywhere.  The great majority sounded dead.  I did get to hear one that sounded great in Hong Kong in the late 90s but didn't have the money to buy it at that time.  Just like Gibson Les Pauls, only between 1-2% pass my standards.

Now, PRS is entitled to give a rational explanation as to how his guitars work or what he thinks is the right way to define a good sounding guitar BUT he just cannot build the exceptional sound and character of this specific PRS in a consistent manner which for me should be at least 80%.  That being said, I do not think ANYBODY has hit 80%. And that's why we continue to guitar hunt -- the challenge to find that special guitar that rises above which is such an elusive endeavor.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2748 on: May 11, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »

So did TedTalk ask Paul how many of the guitars (what percentage) he produces gives out a 6.5 when you put in a 7?

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2749 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
So did TedTalk ask Paul how many of the guitars (what percentage) he produces gives out a 6.5 when you put in a 7?

I think I'd take his word over anyone else is what I'm saying.  :-D
#DigitalHiyaw