hulika

Author Topic: I lowered the truss rod and now the string buzzes....  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: I lowered the truss rod and now the string buzzes....
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »
Ngayon ko lang napansin, the thread heading doesn't make sense. You can't lower the truss rod.  :-D

Sige ipagpe-pray kita. Pero laking dali ng 4th year kumpara sa 3rd. Completion na lang at review classes yan. Kumpleto ka na naman siguro sa RLE requirements mo. Wag kang mag-alala kung hindi pa. Pag malapit nang matapos ang last sem mo at hindi ka pa kumpleto, ipinapakopya na lang ng CI yung mga pangalan at case numbers para makakumpleto ka.  :lol:
Bili ka lang ng bago bagong reviewer. Galing sa US reviewers kinukuha yung mga tanong sa board. Minsan word for word pa.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:09:24 PM by Bart »

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »
First of all san di mo muna ginalaw truss rod mo. You should've sanded down the bone on your bridge first.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2007, 03:19:59 PM »
First of all san di mo muna ginalaw truss rod mo. You should've sanded down the bone on your bridge first.

what you should have done was speak to someone who knows what to do..

best thing to do now is probably to just bring it to a luthier and let them show you what to do.

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2007, 08:35:03 PM »
first thing, the truss rod shouldnt be used to adjust the action. ang main purpose nun is to compensate sa string tension, to keep the neck straight (or slightly bowed depende sa player).

the action should be adjusted thru the saddles. if you are not pretty much into DIY, dalin mo na sa luthier of your choice.

if you would like to learn, check mo ito: adjusting your trust rod

lesson is, research, research and research again before moving something on your guitar. if still unsure, better ask anyone who might be able to help you. I knew someone who damaged the neck of is guitar kasi inadjust nya ng todo yung truss rod.

i'm not a luthier, pero i do setup my own guitar.

hope this helps.
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 08:42:31 PM »
Guys mali ba to?
I tightened the truss rod of my Flying V to give it a bit of back bow, action got low and fret buzz on the 13th up frets occured. I raised the tune o matic bridge such that there won't be any buzz left.The action remained low naman and the neck feels just right for me.Will keeping the rod this tight cause damage if prolonged?Should I set it straight or ok lang kahit wag na?Thanks.

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »
Wouldn't you get the same effect by loosening the TR to straighten the neck then lower the TOM to get that low action?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2007, 10:24:37 PM »
may truss rod ang acoustic mo? :-) i always thought that all acoustics should be setneck.

Karamihan ng steel stringed acoustics eh may truss rod. Otherwise there's nothing to compensate the stress on the neck brought about by the string tension.

When you say that the neck is 'set', it only means that the neck is glued to the heel and not bolted on. It has nothing to do with having a truss rod or not having one.

Bingo!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline Pfizer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
Wow, daming input. Thanks for the help guys :-D

So, bottomline, I should keep the truss rod straight since lower action is only a side effect of the actual purpose which is to adjust string tension and neck straightness. To actually lower the action, it's the saddle of my guitar that actually needs modifying. Frets can also be sanded down if uneven.

Tama?   8-)

Ngayon ko lang napansin, the thread heading doesn't make sense. You can't lower the truss rod.  :-D

Sige ipagpe-pray kita. Pero laking dali ng 4th year kumpara sa 3rd. Completion na lang at review classes yan. Kumpleto ka na naman siguro sa RLE requirements mo. Wag kang mag-alala kung hindi pa. Pag malapit nang matapos ang last sem mo at hindi ka pa kumpleto, ipinapakopya na lang ng CI yung mga pangalan at case numbers para makakumpleto ka.  :lol:
Bili ka lang ng bago bagong reviewer. Galing sa US reviewers kinukuha yung mga tanong sa board. Minsan word for word pa.

Sir, maraming salamat po. I am quite anxious about the 4th year and it seems that prayer is one of the best weapons against this. Tanong ko lang po, saan po sila nag-Nursing? I'm currently in UST.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 02:03:43 AM by Pfizer »

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 12:36:43 AM »
Wouldn't you get the same effect by loosening the TR to straighten the neck then lower the TOM to get that low action?
I tried lowering the TOM bridge lang pero mataas pa rin eh hehe. :lol: