hulika

Author Topic: John McLaughlin on YouTube  (Read 4256 times)

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
John McLaughlin on YouTube
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:39 AM »
Here's a clip of Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham and Jonas Hellborg :

Here's a really sweet version of "Are You The One? Are You The One?" with McLaughlin and Hellborg recorded in Live in Germany:

John McLaughlin & Shakti:

And for those who don't think John McLaughlin can't swing, here's a good one, recorded at Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show.  McLaughlin is shown here jamming with the house band, The Doc Severinsen Big Band.  Here, they play the finger-bleeder, "Cherokee":

ENJOY!

Offline jazzbo

Re: John McLaughlin on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Quote from: tone_temple

Here's a really sweet version of "Are You The One? Are You The One?" with McLaughlin and Hellborg recorded in Live in Germany:

Love that tune ... the studio version was originally with Jack Bruce on bass and the late great Tony Williams on drums. "Are you the one?" is the only lyric - great idea for a tune! hehe  :mrgreen:

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »
Thanks to youtube, us JML fans are getting reacquainted with his music. There are a lot of vintage relics out there, including those really old Mahavishnu clips. Damn! Those are priceless!

I loved those clips of him with Kai Eckhardt, some of the Supertrio sessions and those jams with Katya

He's really one of a kind ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
Re: John McLaughlin on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:04:01 AM »
Quote from: jazzbo
Quote from: tone_temple

Love that tune ... the studio version was originally with Jack Bruce on bass and the late great Tony Williams on drums. "Are you the one?" is the only lyric - great idea for a tune! hehe  :mrgreen:

Yeah, If I were stuck in an island, John McLaughlin's "Electric Guitarist" album would be one of the things I'd like to have with me.

Offline tone_temple

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 12:05:39 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
Thanks to youtube, us JML fans are getting reacquainted with his music. There are a lot of vintage relics out there, including those really old Mahavishnu clips. Damn! Those are priceless!

I loved those clips of him with Kai Eckhardt, some of the Supertrio sessions and those jams with Katya

He's really one of a kind ..

Yeah, the LaBeque sisters are awesome!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:39:50 AM »
And gorgeous too ...  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 08:59:30 PM »
if im stuck in an island.. and cant have my ipod.. id die without the mahavishnu essentials.. inner mounting flame, birds of fire, lost triden sessions. albums made by the original masters.

anyone here heard about the mahavishnu project? mahavishnuproject.com

even sir john m is so proud of this tribute band  8)