hulika

Author Topic: The PRS Thread...  (Read 491366 times)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: The PRS Thread...
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2009, 08:14:28 PM »
Hey guys, do PRS SE series have a chance against the real thing? I mean much like comparing a Gibson les paul and an epiphone? Something like that? Thanks.

haven't tried a USA PRS.. probably sir bryan can answer that.. however, the SEs are really nice guitars for the price.. yung epiphone at gibson.. hands down naman na no match ang epi sa gibby.. lalo na at MIC na mga epi.. pero i know gibbys have quality control issues ngayon.. siguro if there was an epi that could be at par with some gibby guitars, yun yung elitist line nila which is already discontinued, MIJ yun..

back to your question.. maganda talaga mga USA PRS.. from craftsmanship to electronics and pickups.. pero lahat naman nun subjective.. it depends still on your taste.. pwedeng mas ok sayo feel ng SE kesa USA..  :-)

Offline cumbersome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Hey guys, do PRS SE series have a chance against the real thing? I mean much like comparing a Gibson les paul and an epiphone? Something like that? Thanks.

I had the chance to try out some SE Customs, and they're really different from my CU22. Thing is, the SEs have their own combination of woods and electronics different from US-made models, such that a direct comparison is not really viable. I do observe that the CU22 has a way more refined sound compared to any of the SE models. Big diff also in craftsmanship, materials, electronics and hardware, though at the price point, it better be. The absolute standout is the SE Soapbar, with its sweet, midrange-y tone. I'd gig with that guitar with confidence any day. 

Offline Opay21

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
I had the chance to try out some SE Customs, and they're really different from my CU22. Thing is, the SEs have their own combination of woods and electronics different from US-made models, such that a direct comparison is not really viable. I do observe that the CU22 has a way more refined sound compared to any of the SE models. Big diff also in craftsmanship, materials, electronics and hardware, though at the price point, it better be. The absolute standout is the SE Soapbar, with its sweet, midrange-y tone. I'd gig with that guitar with confidence any day. 
Nice info, your right that it's not fair to compare them when they aren't really alike. Thanks mate!
"Are you saying that now, things are going to be beautiful?"

"I'm saying things will be what they are"

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »
ano ba material ng nut ng mga se's?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2009, 09:55:26 PM »
ano ba material ng nut ng mga se's?

i asked that sa PRS customer support via email matagal na.. common notion ng mga tao, pag black ang nut ay graphite na agad.. pero in the case of PRS SEs, hindi.. sad to say pero it's only black plastic..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
It definitely isn't based on the specs of the "unobtainiums" from the US models.  Check out any official literature from PRS about the SE's nut and they do not mention anything about the nut at all unlike their US counterparts.  They are actually quite mum about it.  I even e-mailed them about it and that was the only question in that e-mail they actually didn't answer.  The biggest proof that it is not as good as other self-lubricating nuts is when I had mine changed to graphite.  Big diff really.  Without mentioning names (unless he cares to join in hehe  :-)). actually ordered a US PRS nut and installed it on his Santana SE and I think he would also attest to the difference between the US nut and the stock SE nut.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 10:11:02 PM »
It definitely isn't based on the specs of the "unobtainiums" from the US models.  Check out any official literature from PRS about the SE's nut and they do not mention anything about the nut at all unlike their US counterparts.  They are actually quite mum about it.  I even e-mailed them about it and that was the only question in that e-mail they actually didn't answer.  The biggest proof that it is not as good as other self-lubricating nuts is when I had mine changed to graphite.  Big diff really.  Without mentioning names (unless he cares to join in hehe  :-)). actually ordered a US PRS nut and installed it on his Santana SE and I think he would also attest to the difference between the US nut and the stock SE nut.

+1
that's actually one of the first things na inuupgrade sa SE.. yung nut.. marami narin ako nababasa na pansin talaga yung difference pag graphite ang nilagay.. napapa-isip na nga rin ako kung papalitan ko eh.. hehe..

ako naman bro, lagi nagrereply sakin customer service nila.. sobrang helpful.. baka nachambahan lang na hindi ka nareplyan..  :?

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »
Yeah, customer support is great.  Shawn Nuthall is really so helpful.  But really, I was so surprised that for the first time since I have been writing them since the late 90's, this was one thing they never answered at all.  hehe  Meron sin silang himalang ginagawa.  haha  But really, it wasn't such a problem he didn't answer that question.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2009, 10:29:15 PM »
i rarely use the trem naman eh so ok lang kahit di self lubricating. and when  i abuse it (from time to time inaabuse ko sa bahay) lagi paring siya nagsstay in tune.

btw i installed sperzels.

so malaki parin ba diff kung magandang nut ang ilagay? hindi ba ang affected lang niya yung open chords? or it affects overall tone?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2009, 10:34:22 PM »

so malaki parin ba diff kung magandang nut ang ilagay? hindi ba ang affected lang niya yung open chords? or it affects overall tone?

it affects the string vibration as well as string return..i use graphite nut in my non locking guitars. plus they are easy to shape with a file..

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
ohhhh... cge nga maitry yang nuts nyo.....este graphite nut na yan... or bone.. research nga muna ako.. sobrang metikuloso ako sa gitara, pero sa nuts ako pinaka least knowledgable.. :-D

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
If you're sure it stays in tune, bakit pa, di ba?

What Sperzels were those?  Did you have additional holes drilled to be able to put them on?  Shawn Nuthall actually suggested the Grover 406C to me since it was an exact retrofit and required no hole modification.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
yes binutasan ko pa yun hehe ang pinambutas ko screwdriver ko lang! tignan mo sa sig ko..

i like sperzels kasi anlaki niya mabigat eh gusto ko mabigat sa headstock.. nagiba tunog eh.. :-D

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
yes binutasan ko pa yun hehe ang pinambutas ko screwdriver ko lang! tignan mo sa sig ko..

i like sperzels kasi anlaki niya mabigat eh gusto ko mabigat sa headstock.. nagiba tunog eh.. :-D

meron din ang Schaller na direct replacement sa stock SE tuners.. nirecommend din sakin yun ni Shawn Nuthall aside from the grovers..

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 12:19:52 AM »
meron din ang Schaller na direct replacement sa stock SE tuners.. nirecommend din sakin yun ni Shawn Nuthall aside from the grovers..

Nice.  He didn't mention those to me.  Baka wala pa nun 2 years ago.  hehe  Were you able to get it here in Manila and what model?

Wow!  Nice job!  The makings of a future guitar tech or luthier?   :-D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:29:04 AM by curiousdcat »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »
Nice.  He didn't mention those to me.  Baka wala pa nun 2 years ago.  hehe  Were you able to get it here in Manila and what model?

eto pala yun, Schaller M6 na locking..
apparently, hindi ko po pinalitan machine heads nung sakin.. wrap-around kasi nasa SE standard ko and i think hindi ko pa kailangan ng locking tuners.. saka nalang siguro..
hindi ko rin sure kung meron sa Pinas, kung meron man, baka sobrang rare.. pero ayan direct replacement yan..  :-)

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2009, 07:21:24 AM »

Wow!  Nice job!  The makings of a future guitar tech or luthier?   :-D

ehem ehem... baka pag nalaman niyong ganyan magbutas ang mga luthiers natin e wala na magpagawa sakanila!!

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
ehem ehem... baka pag nalaman niyong ganyan magbutas ang mga luthiers natin e wala na magpagawa sakanila!!

hehe  That's why I opted for locking tuners that were an exact retrofit para di madagdagan ng body modifications yung guitar ko.  I still had them professionally installed though.  <--- proof of katamaran   :lol:

Offline toybitz

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
the white prs soapbar 2 is an itch I've yet to scratch..demmit.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »
bubuhayin ko lang ang thread na ito.. may dalawang thread bout PRS users pero eto yung latest.. the other one is around 200+ pages deep na (syempre hinanap ko).. pero eto nalang ibump ko..  :wink:

more pics of my PRS.. ngayon lang ulit ako nakapag picture.. will put in a better neck pickup pag nagkafunds..
2006 PRS SE Standard in vintage mahogany finish..
Dimarzio Super Distortion sa bridge..

some more pics..

Offline ukeleleboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »
bubuhayin ko lang ang thread na ito.. may dalawang thread bout PRS users pero eto yung latest.. the other one is around 200+ pages deep na (syempre hinanap ko).. pero eto nalang ibump ko..  :wink:

more pics of my PRS.. ngayon lang ulit ako nakapag picture.. will put in a better neck pickup pag nagkafunds..
2006 PRS SE Standard in vintage mahogany finish..
Dimarzio Super Distortion sa bridge..

some more pics..

sir saan ka nakabili nung nakatakip sa pickups mo para magmukhang EMG?
Ang batang masipag kapag lumaki pagod...

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »
@r_chino

danda n'yan!!!  :lol:
bigyan mo na ng name, kung hindi ako magbibigay  :-D

:lol:

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
@r_chino

danda n'yan!!!  :lol:
bigyan mo na ng name, kung hindi ako magbibigay  :-D

:lol:

kelan kaya tayo magkaka PRS?  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »
got word that the PRS SEs at JB will be on sale soon.  30%-40% off daw.  parang clearance sale.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2010, 05:27:49 PM »
Never posted this here.. hahah.