hulika

Author Topic: Why you should NEVER get a MAC.  (Read 15710 times)

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
Why you should NEVER get a MAC.
« on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
i have to say, wow. i knew Macs were expensive before, but dammmn this is just wrong.

SOURCE

CLICK FOR HIGH-RES

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
Re: Why you should NEVER get a MAC.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
Their mobile PC offerings are a bit competitive (MacBook). But yeah, the Mac Pro is expensive. Well, Apple users justify it because of tight integration with OS X and for them it's the experience. It's pretty hard to reason out against that :)

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
Well, Apple users justify it because of tight integration with OS X and for them it's the experience. It's pretty hard to reason out against that :)

how well i know. i can already hear Mac users say "I have the money, and having a Mac separates us from the madlang people who uses PC." After all, Apple has been known to cater to the affluent market.

But still... :D

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
now this is really true in my point of view as user of both MAC and PC..

I wont buy that MacPro even if I have the funds.. ill buy a PC instead.. I use a Mac primarily for media and my work, I record music with a Mac, do videos with a Mac and work with a Mac.. but I PLAY USING A PC.

The integration of Mac OSX in Mac hardwares is just plain awesome and seamless.. very fast and not in my years using a Mac I encountered blue screens, lagging desktops, memory dumps, folder and explorer errors and most importantly.. VIRUSES, there are viruses specifically made for Macs and other linux-based machines but I never had a chance to deal with them.

I never used a Hackintosh before so I cant comment on how fast Mac OSX is if used in a PC but I can praise apple for creating such a wonderful combination of Hardware and Software.

I will still buy a Mac and their future iterations, but I wont be without having a PC around too.. :-D
imma badass!! <funky guitar rift>

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
I'll be a bit pedantic here. But a Mac is a PC (from the hardware point of view) :) Same components (x86 procs, RAMs, Hard disks etc.). Now, regarding blue screens, I experienced the counterparts; Spinning beach ball of death and kernel panics on Macs (both G4 and x86 offerings). In defense to Windows, most of the BSODs I experienced were hardware-related (and I also experienced RedSOD, faulty RAID-card).

What is my point then? If Apple will allow third party builders, there will be driver issues. And their image will be tarnished :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:31:00 AM by qroon »

Semper Erectus

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:09:55 AM »
^Agree again.. a Mac is still a PC.. hardware so to speak..

the only difference is that their hardware is made and assembled according to their exact specifications and Apple has limited users to only upgrade the essentials (like the RAM and HD) else you have to have bought the higher model if you expected more.. (Steve doesnt really like consumers messing around their products).

They use intel chips and NVIDIA VGA cards like PCs do, they only preferred to call "Logicboards" what he have called "Motherboards".. :-D

I kinda felt the default/pre-built off the shelf Toshiba HD and Hynix RAM cheap (just me) so I upgraded them to my preferred ones (Seagate Momentus HD and Kingston DDR2s).

I couldve wish Apple gave the consumers the freedom of choice, specially to upgrade anything in the machine they have already purchased.

And yes I have experienced the spinning beach ball thingie once or twice in the long time I have used the Mac platform.. although I have learned on how to avoid it and keep my Mac running smoothly unlike when I owned windows-based lappys.

What I really like with Apple is the seamless integration among products specially right now when they are venturing to other comsumer electronic products and though they work with windows its still a different experience using them altogether with their Mac counterparts as I have said Apple has made their products within standards thus making them a "one-gut" family of machines.

best example is the iOS 4.++ software for the iPhone platform, Steve Jobs said that "it can be installed" in the first generation iPhone but they decided "not" to give the users that chance as it wont run as "smoothly-as-company-standard" anymore since the first gen iPhone is already an outdated device.. just like when they no longer supported the Power-PC based machines (Powerbooks and iBooks) on the "Snow Leopard" OS.

lets just love them both.. like your traditional/conservative and liberated girlfriends hehehe
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:12:56 AM by rockophoria »

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:13:04 AM »
i agree with this.... owning a mac or any expensive apple product is just a status symbol...

ex: why buy an i-pad when you can buy a netbook with much better specs and a fully functioning keyboard...

but then again for a graphic artist like me, a mac is essential because of color matching of monitor and printer

but im a pc user because i can customize my own specs on my computer and build the ultimate machine!
just because people own pcs doesnt mean hindi afford...its because they choose what is BETTER...

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 07:53:23 AM »
i agree with this.... owning a mac or any expensive apple product is just a status symbol...

ex: why buy an i-pad when you can buy a netbook with much better specs and a fully functioning keyboard...

but then again for a graphic artist like me, a mac is essential because of color matching of monitor and printer

but im a pc user because i can customize my own specs on my computer and build the ultimate machine!
just because people own pcs doesnt mean hindi afford...its because they choose what is BETTER...

that misconception about netbooks and ipad is where I dont agree.. I have used both netbook (Acer Aspire One, MSI Wind, AACPC and HP Mininote etc in different configs) and an iPad but what lacks a netbook that an iPad has is seamless integration of hardware and software.

netbooks run on Atom processors that goes around 1GHZ (dunno if they upgraded it already) with maximum of 2GB RAM (those I used was maxed out at 1GB) in Windows XP/7 and Linux OS, though I must admit they feel like a laptop, they just wont perform like a laptop.. only gives the experience of using one in a cheap and small package.. it doesnt pack that much punch and smooth user experience.

the iPad on the othe hand also runs at 1GHZ speed.. only using Apple's A4 Chip that maximizes performance in low power consumption thus longer battery life with maximum performance.. the A4 chip itself also carries the 256 RAM of the iPad.. imagine that? 256RAM?

the seamless integration of the iPad's hardware and iOS software is the fastest and smoothest user experience I had with mobile devices, as it was made exactly as it would perform and I like working fast with no delays, my iPad never let me down not even one time.

the netbooks are made specifically to carry the Windows and Linux OS with limited concern over performance as its manufacturers will leave it unto the users to either upgrade the RAM.. use it while it is plugged in or dont install much RAM eating softwares in it.. you see these manufacturers built these netbooks without seamless integration of softwares as they are different hardware manufacturers that carry and support the same operating systems.

the OS itself (Windows and Linux) is made to support different hardware without specific benchmarks on optimized performance as they live by selling these softwares to consumers that buy different machines based on their specifications thus these OS has to support ALL OF THEM without taking into consideration the best performance or limiting the support only to machines that will run them at their full capacity.

so in my opinion it is an injustice to compare netbooks to iPads..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:07:06 AM by rockophoria »

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 12:43:49 AM »
Now if only there was MOTU Digital Performer for PC, I wouldn't have a need for a damn Mac.

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Buhayin ko lang po ang thread na'to.. When it comes po sa durability ng imac or macbook pro? Ok po ba? Thanks in advance po.. :)
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »
Buhayin ko lang po ang thread na'to.. When it comes po sa durability ng imac or macbook pro? Ok po ba? Thanks in advance po.. :)

as much as PCs break when mishandled as so as macs.. altho when you say durability "over time" let me say that I still use my mid-2009 15" Macbook Pro Unibody.. and it still performs the way it performed nung brand new pa sya.. ang pinagkaiba nga lang ngayon eh imbis na 8 hours battery life eh nasa 3-4 hours na lang.. ok lang naman since batteries are "consumables" and will eventually degrade..

nabunggo ko na sa gilid ng pinto yung MBP ko.. pero nagdent lang yung aluminum case nya, pero aside from that walang ibang problema eventho medyo malakas na bump yun.

as for the iMac I used one sa office, sa apat na taong gamit ko yung lumang iMac dun eh di nasira.. hanggang sa bumili na ulit ng bagong model na iMac.. ayun gumagana pa rin naman yung luma.

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »
Now if only there was MOTU Digital Performer for PC, I wouldn't have a need for a damn Mac.

ANNDDD

If only there was Logic for PC, I wouldn't have a need for a Mac.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »
Another thing thats going on right now is the amount of attention Microsoft is giving to its new Windows 8 OS, and the "Metro UI" that comes with it.. it was previewed many times and it has a great potential in my opinion (being a user-experience designer).

Since wala na si Steve Jobs the path of Apple is bleak, sigurado namang may roadmap na iniwan si Steve na kailangang sundin ng Apple, pero Tim Cook can deviate anytime he likes so I think this will create a huge opportunity that Microsoft and Google can take advantage..

so I think that can become a consideration where you will think "Why you should NEVER get a MAC"

but until then.. I will enjoy the best of both worlds  :-D

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 12:26:32 AM »
Another thing thats going on right now is the amount of attention Microsoft is giving to its new Windows 8 OS, and the "Metro UI" that comes with it.. it was previewed many times and it has a great potential in my opinion (being a user-experience designer).

Since wala na si Steve Jobs the path of Apple is bleak, sigurado namang may roadmap na iniwan si Steve na kailangang sundin ng Apple, pero Tim Cook can deviate anytime he likes so I think this will create a huge opportunity that Microsoft and Google can take advantage..

so I think that can become a consideration where you will think "Why you should NEVER get a MAC"

but until then.. I will enjoy the best of both worlds  :-D

I hate Mac but I need Mac.lol

Getting one by the end of the month. Still choosing from an iMac, an MBP, or just upgrade my rig for Hackintosh Pro specs.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 01:00:58 AM »
I hate Mac but I need Mac.lol

Getting one by the end of the month. Still choosing from an iMac, an MBP, or just upgrade my rig for Hackintosh Pro specs.

haha in my case I have no choice because its part of my work since I design multi platform user interfaces and our number one priority is the iOS/OSX Platform because of its huge market thus our clients prefer applications/software to be designed on that specific platform.

I say go for the MBP, may lumabas ng bagong MBP-Retina, altho it breaked the $2k mark so masyadong expensive.. and not to mention wala na syang ethernet port and optical drive I guess you can get a maxed out 2012 17-Inch i7 MBP.. yun lang is kung on-the-go ang requirement ng work mo.. pero if its stationary I will go for the iMac..  8-)

about the Hackintosh.. I havent used one.. siguro after I complete my Mac Mini Rig later this year I will get a gaming PC rig and mag install ako ng SSD dedicated to try hackintosh  :-D

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 01:22:31 AM »
I would also suggest the 17" MBP since meron pa yan locally (wala na sa website).

Semper Erectus

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 01:31:56 AM »
@riffscreamer

you can also look for apple fanboys who will sell their MBPs to get the new Ivy Bridge- Powered MBP-Retina to get "early adopter" bragging rights..  :-D

usually kasi maraming mayayamang bobong apple fanbois dito sa pinas na kakabili pa lang ng iDevices nila eh ibebenta na agad pag may lumabas na bago para lang "mauna silang makapag upgrade"..

usually yung mga MBP ng fanbois na yan is yung pinakalamakas, 17" core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD (kahit na facebook lang naman ang ginagawa) at eto pa.. meron pa silang "Apple Care Protection Plan" which means plus 2 years ang warranty nila aside pa sa limited 1 year warranty..  :)

yung iba dyan eh wala pang 1 year yung MBP nila binebenta na at "base price" para lang makipag unahan sa pag upgrade usually yun yung mga hinihintay ko everytime I want to buy a mac.. (twice na akong nakatsamba ng ganun).. so kahit di ako nakabili ng brand new eh 2 years pa rin ang warranty.. maxed out pa  8-)

that is unless ok lang sayo bumili ng 2nd hand..  :wink:

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
@riffscreamer

you can also look for apple fanboys who will sell their MBPs to get the new Ivy Bridge- Powered MBP-Retina to get "early adopter" bragging rights..  :-D

usually kasi maraming mayayamang bobong apple fanbois dito sa pinas na kakabili pa lang ng iDevices nila eh ibebenta na agad pag may lumabas na bago para lang "mauna silang makapag upgrade"..

usually yung mga MBP ng fanbois na yan is yung pinakalamakas, 17" core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD (kahit na facebook lang naman ang ginagawa) at eto pa.. meron pa silang "Apple Care Protection Plan" which means plus 2 years ang warranty nila aside pa sa limited 1 year warranty..  :)

yung iba dyan eh wala pang 1 year yung MBP nila binebenta na at "base price" para lang makipag unahan sa pag upgrade usually yun yung mga hinihintay ko everytime I want to buy a mac.. (twice na akong nakatsamba ng ganun).. so kahit di ako nakabili ng brand new eh 2 years pa rin ang warranty.. maxed out pa  8-)

that is unless ok lang sayo bumili ng 2nd hand..  :wink:

I need one for work rin. We use Logic in the studio kasi. And after using Windows my whole life, nagandahan kaagad ako sa Logic kaya gusto ko kumuha ng mac for music stuff lang. Still thinking whether I need the portability of the MBP. Di naman ako yung tipong bibili ng tall latté sa starbak para lang i-display ng ilang oras yung Mac ko. Haha.

And I don't mind buying second hand as long as it works smoothly and is still somewhat presentable.

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
been a pc user all my life since my dad bought me my first 386sx clone. bought my first mac (13" mbp) last year as a gift to my wife and now i only use a pc when downloading torrents or at the office.

i disagree with apple products being a status symbol. well they are pricier over any clone but it is money well spent because it made my life easier which is something i've never experienced with any windows based pc. i've never had a reformat moment with my mac, it integrates well with all my needs - music recording, photo and video editing - out of the box.

im not a gamer so i dont really miss my pc anymore.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
I need one for work rin. We use Logic in the studio kasi. And after using Windows my whole life, nagandahan kaagad ako sa Logic kaya gusto ko kumuha ng mac for music stuff lang. Still thinking whether I need the portability of the MBP. Di naman ako yung tipong bibili ng tall latté sa starbak para lang i-display ng ilang oras yung Mac ko. Haha.

And I don't mind buying second hand as long as it works smoothly and is still somewhat presentable.

yep I agree, Logic Pro definitely rocks!  :-D

yun nalang gawin mo dude if ever you plan to get an MBP instead of an iMac, look for those people who are selling their MBP's to "upgrade to the Retina MBP".. for sure ibebenta nila at base price yun even with upgrades like solid state drives and maxed out DDR3 RAMs.. much better to look for those with APPs atleast extended warranty..

ako I really plan to complete a Mac Mini Rig by the end of the year  :money:

been a pc user all my life since my dad bought me my first 386sx clone. bought my first mac (13" mbp) last year as a gift to my wife and now i only use a pc when downloading torrents or at the office.

i disagree with apple products being a status symbol. well they are pricier over any clone but it is money well spent because it made my life easier which is something i've never experienced with any windows based pc. i've never had a reformat moment with my mac, it integrates well with all my needs - music recording, photo and video editing - out of the box.

im not a gamer so i dont really miss my pc anymore.

yep.. bang for every buck, pure engineering beauty talaga ang Mac even its innards are meticulously designed to look good.. kahit na wala namang makakakita..

and yes.. most gamers wont enjoy Macs.. since its a "multimedia" machine that will be enjoyed more by musicians, designers, photographers, videographers and writers  8-)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:34:44 AM by rockophoria »

Offline riffscreamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 10:32:10 AM »
My other option is to go hackintosh. Even picked out the recommended build parts at tonymacx86. I just need to whether go mbp or go hack. Haha!

Pinaka-concern ko kasi is yung longevity ng mbp. I know they're durable machines pero from what I've read and seen from friends, macs aren't very future proof. To get better specs, you'll have to buy a new one. Whereas if I go hack, I can just easily swap out parts that I want to upgrade. And I read that the new Retina MBPs have the ram sticks soldered onto the board. Pano kung bigla mo maisipan mag-upgrade ng RAM with aftermarket models? P10k for upgrading an 8GB RAM mbp to 16GB RAM is ridiculous.

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
My other option is to go hackintosh. Even picked out the recommended build parts at tonymacx86. I just need to whether go mbp or go hack. Haha!

Pinaka-concern ko kasi is yung longevity ng mbp. I know they're durable machines pero from what I've read and seen from friends, macs aren't very future proof. To get better specs, you'll have to buy a new one. Whereas if I go hack, I can just easily swap out parts that I want to upgrade. And I read that the new Retina MBPs have the ram sticks soldered onto the board. Pano kung bigla mo maisipan mag-upgrade ng RAM with aftermarket models? P10k for upgrading an 8GB RAM mbp to 16GB RAM is ridiculous.

That's the only thing about Apple.. they dont really want their users to thinker around too much with their products.. kahit na binili mo pa.. and yes, right now the Retina MBP cannot be upgraded by the user, RAM and Battery are soldered to the logic board, and the SSD is "proprietary" you cannot just replaced it with 3rd party SSD's even those ones from Seagate or WD..

Since Apple already benchmarked the base spec Retina MBP to perform up par even past the last maxed out 17 inch Core i7 MBP, thus they want to make users choose either to settle to the already powerful base spec or maxed it out on purchase if you think you "will need more punch".. I think the reason behind here is that Apple is a firm believer that "Users dont know what they wanted" unless "you tell them"..

And about "future proofing" all machines are indeed bound to get obsolete.. altho you have a valid point that in PCs you can change part everytime a new specs is benchmarked past your current rig setup.. pero syempre you are bound to replace the entire rig after a while.. say 2-3 years like the motherboard itself, as buying a new Video Card to play the latest games will require you to upgrade your RAM too.. but suddenly mapapansin mo required pala nung bagong Video Card na yun yung latest motherboard or lates processor will eventually make you decide to replace the whole thing nalang.. either way both machines (Mac and PC) are neither future proof.. sa Mac pa nga will survive the 3 years mark na nagagamit mo pa rin yung machine smoothly even with new softwares released.. unlike sa PC na optimized yung software sa bagong labas na AGP card will make sure upgrade immediately, whereas in mac the software developers are bound to support the "generation" of machines released in the number of years, say they need to support all "Intel-Based Sta Rosa to Ivy Bridge Chipset" (late-2008 to Present), kumbaga yun ang benchmark to run that software smoothly, any chipset before that eh "makupad na".

So I guess its relatively varied, MBP's are still good to have even after past its 2nd year mark, kaya lang naman nagkakaugaga mag upgrade yung mga tao eh its either "fanbois" sila or "maraming pera" or "bragging rights" ika nga, kahit na 80% naman sa kanila eh di kailangan yung bagong specs, nor nagagamit nila sa trabaho nila yung additional boost.. tamang yabang lang yung iba dun, makakapag install ka pa rin nga ng softwares ngayon sa mid 2007 polycarbonate macbook white eh.. yun nga lang mapapansin mo na yung sluggishness.. pero pwede pa rin, magagamit mo pa rin.  :wink:

Pero im really interested sa Hackintosh.. kasi gamer din ako, I cant live without a PC rig at home.. and since I plan to build a Mac Mini Rig by the end of the year I might get a new PC CPU to go with my Mac Mini.. ill be maxing out the available PC components by then..

you might want to share yung experience mo using a hackintosh? kasi frankly I havent used one  :-D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:08:05 PM by rockophoria »

Offline ciswith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
isa lang reason ko.. i dont have that kind of money..

Musicians are not mathematicians. feeling and soul over speed and technique

Offline rockophoria

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
isa lang reason ko.. i dont have that kind of money..

yep.. macs are really fabulously expensive..  :cry: