hulika

Author Topic: Remember the Club Dredd days?  (Read 7730 times)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Remember the Club Dredd days?
« on: May 18, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
This may not be a new topic but its always curious to know...

Who among the forumites here used play at Club Dredd? What band? Where the hell are you guys now? How many off-springs have you manufactured from how many different hosts of your seed? (Just kiddin'!!! ;) )

I found myself thinking back to my late high school years when everybody jumped into the rock bandwagon by forming a band, growing their hair, and taking the opportunity to sign up with a production outfit (at the expense of selling tickets!) to play at Club Dredd.

Share some stories! The last time my band played there was an ill-fated experience...

I could remember it was the evening of a lunar eclipse. We were told that there would be 15 bands on the bill, and that we would be second to the freakin' last onstage. I had spained my ankle (whenever i see kurt angle apply the ankle lock, i sympathize) but still made it to the "gig". one of our buddy's was having a migraine, which would figure later on in the story.

we waited hours, lent our gear to many who did not have their own (posers!) who couldn't play crap (except for our friends, we labd dem) then at 1:30am, we were to told to go on.

just as i was about to get up,  the last band PUSHED US ASIDE and set up on stage. could you believe that?! they played a god-awful set, that drove the customers away. then, after 30mins of frustration, nervous anticipation, bad noise and disappointment, we would find that all these emotions were moot compared to what would happen next...

we ascended the (little) stage, set-up, then... BANG!... house lights are all on, everybody leaves, we're gonna play for the tables, ash trays and chairs. we packed up, i barely hit a string. i literally limped to the car, then we had to find an all night clinic for our buddy migraine boy, who was writhing in pain. what a colorful experience...

how 'bout yours?
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 08:30:59 AM »
I think Patrick and some other guys are thinking of putting Dredd back. But there are no concrete plans yet.

I sure hope they do that because I was still in grade school during Dredd's heyday. :(
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
My band at the time was Soul Dredgers (schoolmates from UP) and we played blues concerts and productions there, alongside Jun Lupito, Blue Rats, Perf/TriAxis, etc. This was mid to late 90s, right?  I still have recordings of some of those gigs.

Come to think of it, outside of school concerts, I think that's where I really started gigging.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:04:40 AM »
i started gigging with my high school band in the mid 90s and i used to hear a lot about dredd. i'm almost ashamed to say i've never been to dredd. :oops: i dont even know where it is (or used to be). i just know its on edsa.

Freedom bar din last month of operation na. we played there last tuesday and the equipment was a sorry mess. it used to look comfy. last tuesday it seemed to look more worn out.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:14 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala
i started gigging with my high school band in the mid 90s and i used to hear a lot about dredd. i'm almost ashamed to say i've never been to dredd. :oops: i dont even know where it is (or used to be). i just know its on edsa.

Freedom bar din last month of operation na. we played there last tuesday and the equipment was a sorry mess. it used to look comfy. last tuesday it seemed to look more worn out.

yikes! ako inabutan ko pa ung old club dredd in timog (?).  ang liit!  ung CR nasa likod ng stage so ung mga magbabanyo dadaan sa tabi nung gtrst or bassist. kailangan pa umiwas nung tumutugtog!

nakatugtog din kami sa freedom bar. sayang yan... gandang lugar and venue.

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:36:47 AM »
I literally tasted my first beer in Dredd Timog --> San Miguel pale pilsen
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline markflo

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 09:42:21 AM »
funny dredd story...

my band then, "float", was signed up for a production by my bro-in-law's bro (vinci, ex parokya ni edgar). we waited so goddamn long that i downed 4-5 big red horses before we were up...and when i got up there on stage...i was so wasted that i couldn't even hear that static when you place your finger on the tip of the cable...i couldn't even hear my guitar...unknowingly...IT WAS ALREADY BLASTING! hahaha...took me a while to realize that...but oh well...sanay na naman mga tao dun sa ingay eh...hahaha...

yun lang
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
My band at the time was Soul Dredgers (schoolmates from UP) and we played blues concerts and productions there, alongside Jun Lupito, Blue Rats, Perf/TriAxis, etc. This was mid to late 90s, right?  I still have recordings of some of those gigs.

Come to think of it, outside of school concerts, I think that's where I really started gigging.

hey, i remember you guys! kewl ;) btw- my band then was "skyhigh", we had a foreign vocalist (a great musical talent) who sang like jim morrison. we were playing "fusiony" hard rock, kinda like the doors meets extreme and mr. big at a mid '80's time warp! but prior to the vocalist change, we were doing something that bordered on thrash. heheheheh.

therefore, fame was out of the question...

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:05:29 AM »
Quote from: titser_marco
I think Patrick and some other guys are thinking of putting Dredd back. But there are no concrete plans yet.

I sure hope they do that because I was still in grade school during Dredd's heyday. :(

that would be very interesting! we can all share the "dreddful" experience (positive connotation meant, but bahala kayo to interpret it!)

i've got a feeling that the fat has been trimmed off the "bandwagoners" beef, and plenty of folks who have stayed true to their musical calling have evolved musically through the years. cream rises to the top of the glass. i'm positive that it would make a great alternative music venue for the up and coming too, a resurrection should be great!

host venue to the 1st "Philmusic Forum Guitar Central Open Jam Night" perhaps?

Ron Kirn

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
yikes! ako inabutan ko pa ung old club dredd in timog (?).  ang liit!  ung CR nasa likod ng stage so ung mga magbabanyo dadaan sa tabi nung gtrst or bassist. kailangan pa umiwas nung tumutugtog!

yikes din!  ako naabutan ko yung sa timog, and didn't even know na may ibang venue.  teka lang, baka mali tanda ko.  club dredd is the same as red rocks right?

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
At the risk of revealing my maturity, I actually predate Club Dredd.

For a few months, I played bass for Violent Playground and went up on stage with them at a few multi-band events. I shared the stage with the Dawn, Identity Crisis and I forgot the others. We played in - The Atrium (of Makati). Every weekend, there would be concerts there. New Wave! Oh my gosh, I just revealed my age.

The band members were close friends of mine, the drummer was actually my batch mate in high school.
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 10:51:57 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan
yikes din!  ako naabutan ko yung sa timog, and didn't even know na may ibang venue.  teka lang, baka mali tanda ko.  club dredd is the same as red rocks right?

yup
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 11:08:35 AM »
Heheh Club Dredd Edsa... hehehe I played several gigs there with several different acts :lol:

Memorable ones:

1) 1st Francis M gig, this was at the height of the "anti-HipHop" movement. At the start of the gig, the full house was watching silently with their arms folded, as if waiting for a non-rock move as an excuse to beat us senseless. :shock:  However, at the end of the night everybody was slamming and digging the music!!! Heheh Kiko had giant balls of steel just to even think of playing that venue!  :twisted:  

After that gig, he started playing there every other month or so  8)

2)One of those blues nights; personnel onstage - myself, Cowboy Santos (guitar) Rocky Perez (bass), Wendell Garcia (drums). Heheh headcutting duel! I think Pepe Smith stumbled through "red Rooster" at the start then disappeared mid-song so we carried on and kept on jamming. At one point we played "Sunshine of your Love" with me playing the vocal line on guitar Hendrix-style. Very cool night

3) One random night in Dredd,  I was drinking with Da Doctor (Ramon Zialcita) and in a fit of drunken epiphany, I asked him to sing (heheheh :lol:) in a jam. I think the band was Dahong Palay plus myself. He said "Put@, NO, pare!!! I'm just a voice but not a singing voice" Ok suit yourself.... So I get up opnstage and we intro "War Pigs" and in comes running Da Doctor, grabs the mic and starts doing his best Ozzy swagger!!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHA he's right, better stick to DJ-ing!!!!

Up til this day, he hasn't forgotten that night hehehe

I think I threw a drunken arm around Chito of Parokya that night as well, and tried to get him to jam...somewhere on the way to the stage he disappeared :lol:

4)Triaxis album launching at Dredd. Full house, broadcast on NU. We did rocked out version of "That's the way (I like it)" and people were actually singing along!!!! HAHAHAHA Almost cussed on-air as well heheheh much to the audience's dismay ...dapat siguro tinuloy ko :twisted:

Never made any money playing that venue, but I had some fun times there! heheh

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »
never made any cash playing there either! come to think of it, i don't think anybody did as well! heheheheh! :) its all for the fun. how bohemian.

Ron Kirn

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 01:37:45 PM »
hmmm...played there once....i was in a thrash metal band then...high school days eh :twisted: ....played pantera/slayer stuff...this was when dredd transferred in edsa...pretty amazing where have all those bands/musicians are today?!?! 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:49 PM »
me me me! i was a dredd regular, halos every friday...pero now that i think about it, napaka vague na ng memories ko...i can only remember watching Eheads, POT, Triaxis and Rivermaya .. the other times, i probably was too drunk to remember anything... ah yeah, ang gaganda ng mga tsiks don.
i played once with my band, in a Tuesday evening ata...it was a tryout gig...we failed miserably. pero sa dami ba naman ng super galing na pinoy bands nung 90's, we didnt have any high expectations na makukuha.
hayy..d good ol' days!

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 10:20:33 PM »
haha!! oo nga...we used to play there before(dredd in EDSA).. i was in magna carta before back in high school! hehe!! kaka miss!!! pedros cannabis, dahong palay, xanctuary,freeway jam days.... :D
...the strong take from the weak...but the wise take from the strong...

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »
Perf_De_Castro Posted: 05-18-2006 11:08 AM    Post subject:  
 3) One random night in Dredd, I was drinking with Da Doctor (Ramon Zialcita) and in a fit of drunken epiphany, I asked him to sing (heheheh ) in a jam. I think the band was Dahong Palay plus myself. He said "Put@, NO, pare!!! I'm just a voice but not a singing voice" Ok suit yourself.... So I get up opnstage and we intro "War Pigs" and in comes running Da Doctor, grabs the mic and starts doing his best Ozzy swagger!!!! HAHHAHAHAHAHA he's right, better stick to DJ-ing!!!!

haha!!  :D

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 10:46:55 PM »
Quote from: leech
haha!! oo nga...we used to play there before(dredd in EDSA).. i was in magna carta before back in high school! hehe!! kaka miss!!! pedros cannabis, dahong palay, xanctuary,freeway jam days.... :D

pedros cannabis... ahhh kilala ko ata tong mga to..mga lasallista...ito ba yung mohawk yung buhok ng bokalista?

Offline leech

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 10:48:00 PM »
yup!! hehe!! :D

Offline panterica

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 12:35:47 AM »
i had the chance to play at Club Dredd Edsa, high school days ko, 1995-1996, nakasabay namin sky church tapos narecord ung performances that night at napatugtog sa LA105. hehehe. mas madalas kami sa yosh cafe, twice a week kami tumugtog don dati.
I know you would say that at for the record di mo ako kilala ROOKIEBOY. Tinawag kitang rookie at di lahat, IKAW LANG GET IT. Hanggang dyan ka na lang....puro cheap shots - Pallas

"Good artists copy, great artists steal"

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 10:52:13 AM »
Yosh Cafe.............. Diyan namin ni-launch yun "Alay sa kabataan with dodong cruz & friends"............................

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 10:57:16 AM »
Tambay ako diyan dati sa bar...............
tanda ko pa nga sila:

mang boni (security)......... sabi ko dati sa kanya...."mang boni mang dudura ako pag nasa stage na'ko"........ sabi niya sige babantayan kita........kalako gets niya na joke lang talagang tinutuo........... bait niyan grabe........... payag pa yang mag ganja sa loob ng c.r............... lagot pag nabasa ni patrick...... Hehehehe!

si bong (bouncer) ............. at ang kanyang W. Brown na apparels...... Hehehe..............

si rommel (sound tech) ---> kala niya dati matatakot niya kami.......... ang sungit niyan dati........sabi ng sound tech's 4 songs lang tapos ginawa namin 5 songs.......... bandang huli nagkabonding sa type ng music.......... pareho pala kami ng mga hilig............. na feature pa kami sa production nila.............bait.

Si sir Ferdie ng "Kami Naman" music production............

I forgot yung name nung kapatid na tibo ni sir patrick................. She advice us to do whatever we wanted to do up on stage.........at first kasi shy type kami....................

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo

mang boni (security)......... sabi ko dati sa kanya...."mang boni mang dudura ako pag nasa stage na'ko"........ sabi niya sige babantayan kita........kalako gets niya na joke lang talagang tinutuo........... bait niyan grabe........... payag pa yang mag ganja sa loob ng c.r............... lagot pag nabasa ni patrick...... Hehehehe!

oh yes, the infamous mang boni, he actually shared a joint with my band's drummer. crazy ass dude, but very nice!

speaking of memories, i recall the 1st time i played there, i brought my crazy buddies from school. the craziest guy, the most hardcore and flipped out among us, really enjoyed a set that some thrash band was playing, so in the middle of a song, he climbed up onstage, looked at everybody with his heaviest metal look, and nag tulo siya nang laway! damn, i swear, it was a long, thick, gooey "rope" of saliva that slowly oozed out of his evil face's mouth, i'm talking "aliens III"! then, he did the unimagineable... he slurped it back up! every face in the crowd went pale! hahahaha!!! classic!

Ron Kirn

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 12:15:21 PM »
oh, may i add: it was my pal's 1st time there when he did that! hheheheh:)

Ron Kirn