hulika

Author Topic: "Mango" as tone wood  (Read 14760 times)

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Mango" as tone wood
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:04:20 AM »
A friend of mine is selling his custom ibanez iceman copy to me made by our local luthier. He's selling it excluding the electronics and the pickups. Since I'm a fan particularly with fireman and iceman, I wanted to buy it pero when I asked what was the guitar body made made of, he said it was "MANGO." The local luthier was experimenting daw, and it went good din daw.

I research some in the internet about mango as tone wood. Much to what I've notice was, sa ukelele and acoustic guitars ginagamit ang wood na yon.

Any input for electric guitar body?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline rmanala

Re: "Mango" as tone wood
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »
Im using mango sa custom elec geetar ko.very goo.d at light wieght sya.the  best wood for me next to acacia
HEAVY DAW ANG DATING?!MUKHA NAMAN MGA PRANING!.<fm>

Offline rolexm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »
Try before you buy. :) There are no rules in tonewood. Kahit nga plywood chumachamba pa eh. :)

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
Normally, Mango sets are too small for a regular sized guitar. But it is used as a tonewood.

http://www.curlykoa.com/collections/mango-guitar-sets
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline rtf_axeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
sarap ng guitar! literally!nag crave ako for dried mangoes bigla

Offline rmanala

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Bro post some pictures nung guitar
HEAVY DAW ANG DATING?!MUKHA NAMAN MGA PRANING!.<fm>

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »
sad to say, I can only try it acoustically since the guitar don't have pickups installed in it. He's selling it excluding the pickups and other electronics.

I'll post an FB link of the guitar. I don't have a photobucket account eh.

Anyway, baka may mga clips kayo dyan sa tunog ng Mangga. Hehehehe. The internet don't have enough reviews for the said tone wood eh.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
Im using mango sa custom elec geetar ko.very goo.d at light wieght sya.the  best wood for me next to acacia

sir, what pickups are you using for your custom guitar? any description of the tone?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline reji05ramos

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 06:38:32 PM »
sad to say, I can only try it acoustically since the guitar don't have pickups installed in it. He's selling it excluding the pickups and other electronics.

Anyway, baka may mga clips kayo dyan sa tunog ng Mangga. Hehehehe. The internet don't have enough reviews for the said tone wood eh.

ipa balik mo man lang yung parts para ma try mo ng solid yung guitar.

Offline fusionizer

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

if it sounds good unplugged most of the time  it will sound good plugged, and it also helps to have good pickups and electronics, check lipe guitars he uses mango as top :)
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal sold to luapsoma
BOSS GT-8 sold to CoCa
BOSS ME-25 sold to a non forumite

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 07:12:33 AM »
ipa balik mo man lang yung parts para ma try mo ng solid yung guitar.

The owner has a bunch of guitars in his room. May isa pa siyang custom guitar. Wood works lang yung pinagawa nya. He pulled the electronics of the iceman copy and installed it to the other one. Kaya, no way that I can try it plugged.  :eek:
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline rennaov

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 03:53:01 PM »
no better way to test it except to plug it.  ot: i have a custom made LP style w/ langka top.  decent sound, nice mids.
I see traces, fragments of God shared in the form of human talent...

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
This is the guitar that I'm talking about. Not that mangoooiiisshhh right?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1611134095607&set=a.1611133215585.47581.1753916826&type=3&theater
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
I love the Mango Jubilee Dessert at Prince Albert Hotel Intercon... Really the best in the World!!! Worth your money:)

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
Any link of a video by the artist using the mango tonewood guitar sir? hehehe...
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 10:53:43 PM »
In general, tropical woods are denser.  Hence not as resonant as the traditional woods for guitar. 

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »
i have one but its a solid body, i already resanded it might color it surf green, ill ask my wife if her acoustic is mango tonewood

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »
i have one but its a solid body, i already resanded it might color it surf green, ill ask my wife if her acoustic is mango tonewood

Bai, ginamang alden cimafranca ng akong pasabot nga gitara. ga experimento daw siya ingon tog gapagama niya... Ambot kung kaila kang Gino Moleta. Iyang ginabaligya nako. Musta tingog sa imong mango sir? :)
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline TagaRetiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »
Yung baritone ukulele ko gawa sa Mango Wood. Hindi ko ganun ka gusto yung tunog. Parang kuhay sa buhay yung tunog. Though baka factor na laminated top.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »
Bai, ginamang alden cimafranca ng akong pasabot nga gitara. ga experimento daw siya ingon tog gapagama niya... Ambot kung kaila kang Gino Moleta. Iyang ginabaligya nako. Musta tingog sa imong mango sir? :)

bai gapa gama pud ko ni alden, humana na?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:49 AM »
A friend of mine is selling his custom ibanez iceman copy to me made by our local luthier. He's selling it excluding the electronics and the pickups. Since I'm a fan particularly with fireman and iceman, I wanted to buy it pero when I asked what was the guitar body made made of, he said it was "MANGO." The local luthier was experimenting daw, and it went good din daw.

I research some in the internet about mango as tone wood. Much to what I've notice was, sa ukelele and acoustic guitars ginagamit ang wood na yon.

Any input for electric guitar body?

1) Just my opinion and I cannot be sure -- by the very fact that he chose to save the electronics means he thinks or perceives the mango wood to be bad sounding.  Usually, if you need to sell a guitar and you are trying to maximize the value specially if its good sounding, you include the pickups even if its at a loss for the reason that it becomes more difficult to sell a guitar unloaded.

2) This is my beef with local luthiers who keep on experimenting -- they just cannot stick to tried and tested wood for Guitar.  Maybe, nagpapa astig sila or maybe they really don't have the supply and are experimenting.  And here is where they get stuck -- isa o dalawang lang ang experiment and then may conclusion na sila.  Actually, dapat gumawa siya at least ng isang batch ng 100 na gitara na gawa sa mango.  So, if I were you, stick to what the major manufacturers use because they have a larger R&D budget than either us or the local luthiers to know any better.  There is and continues to be a valid reason why Gibson uses Mahogany up to this day and why Fender still uses ash and alder.

3) If I were you, I would go around trying out other Ibanez Iceman guitars (both used and mint) regardless where they are made.  You might be surprised to find out different tonalities despite the use of the same species of wood.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »
Bagoong na lang ang kulang.   :drool:

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »
Bagoong na lang ang kulang.   :drool:

Kamitis at itlog?

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »
bai gapa gama pud ko ni alden, humana na?

Gikan ko niya last month gapa repaint sa akong tele. Ka Gino nga guitar ng naa sa link. Naa siyay duha nga custom nga gipa gama ni alden, ga dasok na og gitara iyang kwarto, mao ng iyang ibaligya nako. AKo tong sige og pangutana nimo sauna kabahin sa imong fireman. Pagama ta kong alden og fireman pod pero murag langay pod usahay si alden mo trabaho. Kato bass ni chuckie bacolod kay nadugay pod. Mao ng kanang iceman na lang akong plano paliton. Gi ukal man ni Gino ang pickup anang gitaraha mao ng dili ko ka testing naka plug. Ga duha duha kog palit kay mangga lagi ang kahoy... Heheheh///

Unsay gipagama diay nimo ka alden?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
1) Just my opinion and I cannot be sure -- by the very fact that he chose to save the electronics means he thinks or perceives the mango wood to be bad sounding.  Usually, if you need to sell a guitar and you are trying to maximize the value specially if its good sounding, you include the pickups even if its at a loss for the reason that it becomes more difficult to sell a guitar unloaded.

2) This is my beef with local luthiers who keep on experimenting -- they just cannot stick to tried and tested wood for Guitar.  Maybe, nagpapa astig sila or maybe they really don't have the supply and are experimenting.  And here is where they get stuck -- isa o dalawang lang ang experiment and then may conclusion na sila.  Actually, dapat gumawa siya at least ng isang batch ng 100 na gitara na gawa sa mango.  So, if I were you, stick to what the major manufacturers use because they have a larger R&D budget than either us or the local luthiers to know any better.  There is and continues to be a valid reason why Gibson uses Mahogany up to this day and why Fender still uses ash and alder.

3) If I were you, I would go around trying out other Ibanez Iceman guitars (both used and mint) regardless where they are made.  You might be surprised to find out different tonalities despite the use of the same species of wood.

Heheheh...

About no. 1

1) Our local luthier only makes the wood works of the guitar. Machine heads, bridge, nut, and truss rod lang yung kasama sa package. Bale, we go to another person para magpa wire ng electronics kasi di marunong yung luthier. Good thing is I know how to wire guitars. The reason daw my friend pulled the pickups off kasi he has another custom na sumunod sa iceman and since it's also wood works lang din (after he completed his iceman), he pulled off the electronics of the iceman and transferred it there sa new custom. Pero I would still agree a bit that maybe the tonewood of the body doesn't sound that good.

2) I would agree on this. But if I were the luthier, I'll experiment different tone woods myself for my own good. Ang ibig kong sabihin, not in the way na you'll experiment it at the expense of the customer not knowing anong kalalabasan.  If that custom guitar was a mahogany, binili ko na agad yon. :eek:

3) I can't afford buying the real thing. All my guitars are cheap. Not exceeding 10K nga eh. Setup ko lang siya ng maayos, works for me.  :)
Do-it-yourself tirada!