hulika

Author Topic: "Hiyaw" is in the ear of the beholder.  (Read 5921 times)

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: "Hiyaw" is in the ear of the beholder.
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 04:39:45 AM »
Oh yeah.. the great toanz topic.

I still love the hotdog analogy   :-D

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Hiyaw" is in the ear of the beholder.
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 06:17:23 AM »
They send you the best sounding ones to keep your business? As a former product manager and salesman, I can only confirm that you have been sales talked into buying their guitars. Anything you hear from someone who sells to you is biased. You believe that you bought a guitar with the best hiyaw coz they convinced you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:21:34 AM by royc »

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 08:23:08 AM »
^ yikes :D

Question: kapag may isang bingi ba na magdadala ng mahiyaw na gitara sa gitna ng gubat o disyerto at patutugtugin nya ito doon na walang ibang tao o hayop na makakarinig, may hiyaw pa din ba yun?

Just kidding :D

@firemodel it's cool that you have such conviction. I guess parang genre ng music lang yan. Makikipagsagupaan ka to stand for your preference. Others who have a different preference will not understand you. Same way you won't understand those can-affords but prefer ibanez guitars anyway. Because those people do exist and hard as i try i can't see how you might have "better" ears than, i don't know, satch? vai? benson? And you can't tell me they sacrifice their tones in exchange to endorsement deals.

We most probably have different definitions of "hiyaw". When i see that word i think of beck, maybe may, but not many others. EVH's in my opinion comes from his amps. He'd be hard-pressed to extract that hiyaw through a raon amp. I'm saying hiyaw isn't everything unless all music are series of 5-second notes or chords.

I have quite a few guitars (nowhere near yours) and i think the one i have with the most hiyaw is a US-made washburn wm100. I play it and it's just there, i can hear it. I don't hear it on my gibson flying v but i don't mind. I happen to do and like other sounds too, not just hiyaw (I'm not talking about harmonics by the way, lest you misunderstand). Curiously i can argue i hear a hint of that hiyaw from my ibanez s770 too. Hey, i'll buy a suhr or yaron or whatever if the pocket permits (someday) but i won't be getting rid of the existing much cheaper gear that i already love.

Love. That's what it's about. You have it with your gear, that's great. We have it with ours. We all can't be married to the same type of woman. Guitars too. A forumer here tells of how he "might" start with a suhr if he could start all over again, but he won't switch now after everything he and his ibanez guitars have been through. In this broad subject of man-guitar love affair hiyaw is but a small part. It's fine that you are fixated on it. We all geek out on something.

Offline pixelwise

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
at ang sagot ko kay TS:

Offline IncX

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
i am locking this thread because it has been discussed and re-opened since i joined in 2007. we all know the answers to this, and now the new analogy is BB Pilipinas ... it used to be hotdogs btw.

as i am reading the comments, i dont see it reaching new territory. just the same arguments between two sides over and over again.

please refer to the old hiyaw discussions, or well, just check firemodel's posts to get you on the right track.