hulika

Author Topic: Ethos OD Amp - anyone here who's gigged with it in MNL?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ethos OD Amp - anyone here who's gigged with it in MNL?
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Really considering getting one -- used or new --  but before I make the plunge, I was wondering if any of you guys have gigged with it. How did you set it up? Did you plug to the board with the cab sim out and/or plugged the preamp out into the fx return of whatever amp was available? How does it respond to the rest of your rig [amp, multifx, pedals, etc.] Thanks!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Ethos OD Amp - anyone here who's gigged with it in MNL?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 09:01:06 PM »
all your queries = bh  :lol:

Offline bh

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:01:21 AM »
hey @titser marco!  i usually use mine with a 1x12 cab. It's my main amp that i run in dual mono or stereo with whatever amp is in the venue.
I've used it a few times by itself na rin, basta naka mic yung cab. It sounds great direct to the board too on those amp-less situations, but make sure you
get a good signal in your monitors.  Like you said, pwede rin sa effects return ng  backline amp, or if you have access to the back line amp's
speaker cable, you can just plug the ethos straight to that cab.  I've done that a few times especially out of town when i can't bring my cab.

Usual rule is to use the speaker sim when going direct to computer, mixing board/pa or a keyboard amp, and turn it off when plugging into a guitar cab or effects return of another guitar amp.
Hope that helps!   Pochoy Labog of Malay has been gigging with an ethos amp too. :)

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
hey @titser marco!  i usually use mine with a 1x12 cab. It's my main amp that i run in dual mono or stereo with whatever amp is in the venue.
I've used it a few times by itself na rin, basta naka mic yung cab. It sounds great direct to the board too on those amp-less situations, but make sure you
get a good signal in your monitors.  Like you said, pwede rin sa effects return ng  backline amp, or if you have access to the back line amp's
speaker cable, you can just plug the ethos straight to that cab.  I've done that a few times especially out of town when i can't bring my cab.

Usual rule is to use the speaker sim when going direct to computer, mixing board/pa or a keyboard amp, and turn it off when plugging into a guitar cab or effects return of another guitar amp.
Hope that helps!   Pochoy Labog of Malay has been gigging with an ethos amp too. :)

When I first read arkeetar's reply, I was baffled as to who bh was when I realised what the letters stood for. I remember Vin Dancel mentioning that you were an Ethos OD user, and I just connected the dots right now!

In any case, I think the Ethos OD is really great tone-wise, as I found your sound about two years ago at McKinley Hill [the Cradle reunion show on Valentine's] more than satisfactory. Just a few more Qs, if you don't mind:

1. How does it take fuzz pedals? I plan on running an SD1, a Big Muff, and a RATright before it and then run the non-drive effects in the loop. The tricky thing with most modelers I've tried is that the impedance matching can be tricky: while the final sound might be good, bad impedance matching always made it feel like there was some sort of glass wall between the pedal and the amp/preamp input which made the feel too constrained.

2. How long does it take for Custom Tone to ship out an Ethos OD to MNL? And how much did you have to pay in taxes, shipping, etc. I know this can be a sensitive question, but cost ranges would suffice.

Thanks, BH!

PS - Still GAS-ing for that SG you have up for sale!

Offline bh

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:15:21 PM »
It's a versatile amp and will react differently to pedals depending on how you set it.  I've set mine to more or less mimic a clean fender style amp and have had no problems
using it with fuzz.  It's all analog, btw, so i'm not sure if it would still have that impedance mismatch common to digital modellers. 
I think the Custom Tones Site always updates about the lead time, and I sent mine through Johnny Air Cargo, i think it was around 2k for shipping, but i'm not too sure, tagal na.

recent demo with some pedals:
feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:49:56 PM by bh »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
It's a versatile amp and will react differently to pedals depending on how you set it.  I've set mine to more or less mimic a clean fender style amp and have had no problems
using it with fuzz.  It's all analog, btw, so i'm not sure if it would still have that impedance mismatch common to digital modellers. 
I think the Custom Tones Site always updates about the lead time, and I sent mine through Johnny Air Cargo, i think it was around 2k for shipping, but i'm not too sure, tagal na.

recent demo with some pedals:
feature=youtu.be

Now THAT, my friends, is an A/B test --- complete with a frequency analyzer / spectrograph [?]!

I'm sold. Looking to order one sometime soon, although if I see anyone selling one on the Classifieds forums, I just might get it in a heartbeat. Thanks, BH!

Offline bh

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »
Cool!  You're welcome, titser marco! :D

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
it would be great if our pedalmakers create a clone of this.  :-D
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
I used an Ethos OD amp for a couple of years. I just brought a 1x12 cab and plugged straight to it. It was good. It's definitely more portable.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline voidmain

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Whoa! Nice demo ma'am bh!

Mukhang alam ko na next target ko. Especially since may possibility na mag-amp-less setup kami sa church in a couple of months.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 02:24:56 PM by voidmain »
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Galatians 2:20

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
Whoa! Nice demo ma'am bh!

Mukhang alam ko na next target ko. Especially since bay possibility na mag-amp-less setup kami sa church in a couple of months.

huwat? si bh si miss barbie honasan? :-o
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.