hulika

Author Topic: Standard tuning a Baritone guitar? Is it safe? - PRS MM Series  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
Hey guys! I just want to ask our expert guitar techs here. I bought a PRS MM Signature Baritone Guitar a couple of years ago and did not have a chance to play it. Until recently, My passion for guitar re-ignited after watching Metallica, Slayer, Lamb of God and a few other great bands a week ago in Montreal.

My question is.... is it safe/okay to tune my PRS MM Baritone to standard tuning or say Eb tuning? I'd love to use it on a gig but most of the songs I play "now" are in E/Eb/Drop D tunings.  I already have a few guitars in E/Eb/Drop D tuning but it'll good to be able to use this guitar more often than just a song or two.

Thank you guys! and hoping for some advice and help from the techs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:32:15 AM by Extremist777 »
777 posts and its over!

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Standard tuning a Baritone guitar? Is it safe? - PRS MM Series
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:50 AM »
If you could find a decent string gauge and the neck isn't too long for the actual string. I could imagine someth like that for jazz. Kauer does something similar.
Offset guitars for life.

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
Too much string tension. It can cause a permanent back bow.
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:43:21 PM »
Also, it's going to be a real bitch to bend. Use a capo na lang.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:53 AM »
Get lower gauge strings, tune up, and enjoy! Siguro konting tweak sa truss rod for relief considering lower tension ng standard tuning.

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:16:41 AM »
Thanks guys for the input! It used to be 13's.... i changed it to 9's and tuned to Eb.  So far its ok.... a pain to bend.

Will it have long term problem though? if i keep it that way? Originally my plan for this guitar was for my original songs..... then I got busy at work... band broke up... then this guitar was just collecting dust. unlike my standard/halfsteps and drop D's na nagagamit ko ng madalas jamming on backing tracks. This baritone... is not getting any action at all. Kinakaong na! hahaha
777 posts and its over!

Offline rowley75

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »

Thanks guys for the input! It used to be 13's.... i changed it to 9's and tuned to Eb.  So far its ok.... a pain to bend.

Will it have long term problem though? if i keep it that way? Originally my plan for this guitar was for my original songs..... then I got busy at work... band broke up... then this guitar was just collecting dust. unlike my standard/halfsteps and drop D's na nagagamit ko ng madalas jamming on backing tracks. This baritone... is not getting any action at all. Kinakaong na! hahaha
Will probably more prone to string breakage. More wear and tear for the tuning pegs (light gauge plus a lot of string tension can slice off the tuners). Prone to permanent back bow (due to excess string tension). Just my 2cents. Why not use a capo and use its default tuning?
Live by honor, Kill by stealth.

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Im not really a big fan of capo. and capo might not be a good idea for playing Hard Rock/Metal tunes.
777 posts and its over!