hulika

Author Topic: Bob James: under-rated jazz pianist?  (Read 8279 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Bob James: under-rated jazz pianist?
« on: June 25, 2006, 03:06:49 AM »
I admit to having a soft spot for Bob James' music..

After all, it was his music that sort of opened my ears to a bold and exciting new world of sounds at a time when I was yearning for more ...

Back in high school, a friend 'led me to the light' when he gave me a taste of what 'jazz' sounded like, - via the 'Bob James 4' album.

I'm sure the purists may be frowning in disbelief now ('you call that jazz?!?! THAT ain't jazz, boy!').. hehe

But for what it was back then, it sure sounded good. Some favorite tracks then were 'Pure Imagination' (a remake of the Lou Rawls classic), 'Where The Wind Blows Free,' 'Nights Are Forever Without You' ..

From then on, he had me hooked with his 'cool' melodic solos (which I later realized to be a complete art by itself), his simple, yet catchy songs and his tone, which I also found in yet another under-rated pianist: Dave Grusin.

Well, I sort of lost him when I 'discovered' Chick Corea and his brood, and that was when I realized that there was so much more to piano playing

All that time, I never thought Bob James could swing hard or play bebop like say, Corea or Hancock would.

I got the shock of my life when I heard an early recording of Hubert Laws (was it him?) of 'Moment's Notice' with Bob James on acoustic piano, and man!!! The lines!!! ...

This was further reinforced when I heard a recent CD of his trio where he played some standards, including the Miles Davis composition, 'Nardis.'

For someone who I've so neatly pigeonholed as a 'pogi jazz' artist, he sure had me surprised when he gave a very impressive 'deconstruction' of that song ... whew!

Moral of the story: never judge a book by its cover
"No static at all ..."

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »
My first brush with  BJ (Bob James) was when my sis bought the album with him and Earl Klugh collaborating and it was sweet. And then David Sanborn with him in Maputo (was it him?). I borrowed some more albums from friends, one of which includes Angela and the other the "Seven" album.  

Although I liked what I heard. I haven't really given him much thought. I guess that's what "Underrated" means.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 06:32:29 PM »
as copied from allmusic.com

"Bob James' recordings have practically defined pop/jazz and crossover during the past few decades. Very influenced by pop and movie music, James has often featured R&B-ish soloists (most notably Grover Washington, Jr.), who add a jazz touch to what is essentially an instrumental pop set. He actually started out in music going with a much different direction. In 1962, Bob James recorded a bop-ish trio set for Mercury, and three years later his album for ESP was quite avant-garde, with electronic tapes used for effects. After a period with Sarah Vaughan (1965-1968), he became a studio musician, and by 1973 was arranging and working as a producer for CTI. In 1974, James recorded his first purely commercial effort as a leader; he later made big-selling albums for his own Tappan Zee label, Columbia, and Warner Bros., including collborations with Earl Klugh and David Sanborn. Listeners who prefer challenging jazz to background dance music will be consistently disappointed by Bob James' post-1965 albums."

Where the wind blows free (my personal favorite), Touchdown, Angela (Theme from Taxi), Take me to the mardi gras, Sign of the times....

mukhang all prearranged and also some of the solo's leave no room for
stretching out, pero okay lang....

ganun naman din yung mga albums ni Benoit (although he can do mainstream also)

loved this Tappan Zee stuff.

although he has recorded into other Labels, and i don't really have access
to his other stuff,  pero very active pa siya... so mahirap mag "critique' since he has been into recording since the 1960's

for Dave Grusin who also arranges and does movie soundtracks (Fabulous Baker Boys) he's ok, pero syempre when you compare him
with Chic corea lalo na yung GRP concert in Japan, siguro outplayed nga si Grusin.  better to discuss Corea with Hancock, Rubalcaba, et al

personally I think Grusin and Bob James know how to create delicate tone
textures with a Fender Rhodes. and they both knew how to arrange commercial jazz in the late 70's to 80's.

ang galing ng areglo ni Grusin ng My Funny Valentine duon sa "Fabulous
Baker boys.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 12:45:05 AM »
I really dig Bob James. First time ko syang nakita with Fourplay dati, i was jaw-dropped by his playing. Amoroso is one of my BJ (with Fourplay) favourites. Lalo na yung live version. Purely smokin'! :D
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:52:40 AM »
Yeah! 'Touchdown!' .. How could I have forgotten 'Angela (theme from Taxi)? .. and yes, the collaboration with Earl Klugh ..

I'm also reminded now of his versions of 'You're As Right As Rain' and 'Feel Like Makin' Love' .. nice, nice make-out music ..

James' solos definitely aren't the type to be dissected in Berklee piano classes, but boy, he sure knows how to make use of motifs ..

For anything else, I'd rather go for a solo that tells a story with fewer notes, than to get lost in a torrent of meaningless notes that leave you dazed and confused ..

yup, delicate tone textures is very apt, 3650! ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 07:55:13 AM »
Ditto with that. Call me mababaw but I can only enjoy malalim na jazz for only 30 minutes. After that, I get so overwhelmed wit too many notes.

I look up to musicians who can say much with so little (the small tinkling of the piano keys at the higher end of Dave Grusin's "You Could Be Mine" says it all".
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
Quote from: Deacon Blues
Yeah! 'Touchdown!' .. How could I have forgotten 'Angela (theme from Taxi)? .. and yes, the collaboration with Earl Klugh ..

I'm also reminded now of his versions of 'You're As Right As Rain' and 'Feel Like Makin' Love' .. nice, nice make-out music ..

James' solos definitely aren't the type to be dissected in Berklee piano classes, but boy, he sure knows how to make use of motifs ..

For anything else, I'd rather go for a solo that tells a story with fewer notes, than to get lost in a torrent of meaningless notes that leave you dazed and confused ..

yup, delicate tone textures is very apt, 3650! ..

Oh yeah, "Touchdown"! I remember my dad having the album, and my curiosity being sparked when I saw the football on the cover (i was a high school footy player at the time my dad decided to retire his record and get the cd)

he's not as flashy as the other pianists/keyboardists mentioned, but in his simplicity, he's got it DOWN. memorable stuff, catchy, really good music.

and the bob james/david sanborn collaboration, "Double Vision" is really swell.

Thanks dad! ;)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn