hulika

Author Topic: Tips for Home Recording on the Laptop  (Read 14526 times)

Offline SexyLicks

• Formerly known as "Paokour"
Tips for Home Recording on the Laptop
« on: January 18, 2014, 09:40:39 AM »
Hi Guys what stuff do I need to record lang at home Just Voice and Guitar. Sabi kasi nung Iba last time sa akin USB Interface Okay ba yun? If ever ano masusugguest niyo na affordable for that price or if pwede yung marami nang Instruments na kaya.

Please Tell me what I need to get Started.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:47:35 AM by Paokour »

Offline Itsmeepeeetah

Re: Tips for Home Recording on the Laptop
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
Hi! Well first of all you need the ff things :

Mic
Guitar
Cables
Laptop
Software for recording
Interface

For the software maraming libre sa internet sir. Personally I've tried audacity and reaper. Madali lang naman silamg gamitin!

For the interface..marami kang mahahanap dito sa philmusic, ako im selling a native instruments rig kontrol 2. Bale 2 input interface na siya with midi. Ü
God is good...
All the time!!

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »
Hi! Well first of all you need the ff things :

Mic
Guitar
Cables
Laptop
Software for recording
Interface

For the software maraming libre sa internet sir. Personally I've tried audacity and reaper. Madali lang naman silamg gamitin!

For the interface..marami kang mahahanap dito sa philmusic, ako im selling a native instruments rig kontrol 2. Bale 2 input interface na siya with midi. Ü

Thanks sa Reply But how does each one work? Di ba pwede diresto sa Laptop? Ano gamit ng Interface? I have Audacity na :D

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:30:57 PM »
Go to http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/ so that you know what you're getting into.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline SexyLicks

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Go to http://tweakheadz.com/guide-to-home-and-project-music-studios/ so that you know what you're getting into.

:cry: Parang ang Complicated sir. haha pero thanks basahin.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:36:57 AM »
Guys, medyo OT. Matanong ko lang. I have a USB guitar link where I use it as interface to record guitar and bass lines for my compositions. One time, I tried to connect a microphone into the interface. The volume was just too low maybe because of the impedance mismatch. All I do is just to boost the volume sa DAW. Problem is, the noise were also boosted. Is there such equipment to boost the mic signal before going to the interface?

I know this is a stupid question. Planning to buy kahit yung Line 6 UX1 pero wala pa kasi akong budget. Rocket science lang muna ako for now.

TIA.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:02:02 AM »
Guys, medyo OT. Matanong ko lang. I have a USB guitar link where I use it as interface to record guitar and bass lines for my compositions. One time, I tried to connect a microphone into the interface. The volume was just too low maybe because of the impedance mismatch. All I do is just to boost the volume sa DAW. Problem is, the noise were also boosted. Is there such equipment to boost the mic signal before going to the interface?

I know this is a stupid question. Planning to buy kahit yung Line 6 UX1 pero wala pa kasi akong budget. Rocket science lang muna ako for now.

TIA.

Mic Preamps sir. Pero I'm thinking go straight to the Line6 UX1 na kasi may signal booster na rin to eh. pero you can use a Preamp VST and then just get a Good Noise Gate. you can look at this free VST package. www.digitalfishphones.com

Anong Mic yung ginagamit niyo sir?
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »

Mic Preamps sir. Pero I'm thinking go straight to the Line6 UX1 na kasi may signal booster na rin to eh. pero you can use a Preamp VST and then just get a Good Noise Gate. you can look at this free VST package. www.digitalfishphones.com

Anong Mic yung ginagamit niyo sir?

It was just a regular China super cardiod dynamic microphone. "Carol" yung brand.
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »
It was just a regular China super cardiod dynamic microphone. "Carol" yung brand.

Given this bro, you'll be exerting a lot of effort to make the mic track sound pristine. pero kaya pa rin naman. and the nature of these Mics, dapat talaga in to the interface. :) 2 cents lang :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline channel

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Hi Guys what stuff do I need to record lang at home Just Voice and Guitar. Sabi kasi nung Iba last time sa akin USB Interface Okay ba yun? If ever ano masusugguest niyo na affordable for that price or if pwede yung marami nang Instruments na kaya.

ilang instruments po ba ang gusto nyong sabay sabay irecord? multitrack po ba o kahit stereo track lang?

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 10:15:07 AM »

TIA.

Instrument signal kasi ang input ng usb guitar link.  Mic signal naman ang mic obviously.  If you're getting the UX1, wala ka na problema.

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Instrument signal kasi ang input ng usb guitar link.  Mic signal naman ang mic obviously.  If you're getting the UX1, wala ka na problema.

Probably nga. I might just save na lang kahit sa UX1 and find a decent instrumental mic. Now the next problem is the acoustics of the room. :)

I remembered before na pawis na pawis akong nag record ng guitar lines ko kasi the mic captures the sound of the electric fan!

Anyway, any comments on those USB condenser mic's?

ilang instruments po ba ang gusto nyong sabay sabay irecord? multitrack po ba o kahit stereo track lang?

1 track at a time lang yung plano ko. Mag-isa lang din naman akong nag re-record. :)

Anyway, another OT question, how do you make the drum lines? I mean, I don't have real drums and I had this Toontrack VST. Do you have any links sa mga tutorials kung pano gamitin ito?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 11:25:34 AM »
Probably nga. I might just save na lang kahit sa UX1 and find a decent instrumental mic. Now the next problem is the acoustics of the room. :)

I remembered before na pawis na pawis akong nag record ng guitar lines ko kasi the mic captures the sound of the electric fan!

1 track at a time lang yung plano ko. Mag-isa lang din naman akong nag re-record. :)

Anyway, another OT question, how do you make the drum lines? I mean, I don't have real drums and I had this Toontrack VST. Do you have any links sa mga tutorials kung pano gamitin ito?

Bro tonwins, for background noise, kailangan mo talaga ng noisegate dun. maraming VST na pwede gamitin for that purpose. ako naman, tinatakpan ko rin ng panyo yung mic para reduced ang noise level per se (acts as a pop filter narin)

sa VST naman na ezDRUMMER, there are two ways of using it, one is via the Drag Drop Midi Grooves and Fills na makikita mo sa bandang baba nung UI ng ezDRUMMER. or 2nd, gagamit ka na ng midi controller to trigger the sound of the VSTi search mo lang sa youtube bro, nandun lahat nung tutorials on how to use ezDRUMMER

Offline kragz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
For voice recording you'll be needing a USB Mic condenser, download a digital audio workstation like audacity or adobe audition.
For guitar recording just look for USB guitar interface, marami nyan dito. :)

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »

Bro tonwins, for background noise, kailangan mo talaga ng noisegate dun. maraming VST na pwede gamitin for that purpose. ako naman, tinatakpan ko rin ng panyo yung mic para reduced ang noise level per se (acts as a pop filter narin)

sa VST naman na ezDRUMMER, there are two ways of using it, one is via the Drag Drop Midi Grooves and Fills na makikita mo sa bandang baba nung UI ng ezDRUMMER. or 2nd, gagamit ka na ng midi controller to trigger the sound of the VSTi search mo lang sa youtube bro, nandun lahat nung tutorials on how to use ezDRUMMER

I'll search tuts sa youtube. I'm using reaper as my DAW.

Anyway, another question. Kumusta yung for example, vocal or instrument mic plugged into the pc sound card (mic in)? Is it advisable?

For voice recording you'll be needing a USB Mic condenser, download a digital audio workstation like audacity or adobe audition.
For guitar recording just look for USB guitar interface, marami nyan dito. :)

I already have a USB guitar link. Problem ko na lang is to record the vocals. I'm planning to buy a second hand Line 6 UX1. At least my separate mic and my guitar in sila.  :)

Guys, any suggestion of a cheaper alternative na audio interface na pwede for instruments and vocals?

The cheapest second hand Line 6 UX1 I saw sa ad was 3.5K.

Around 2.5K lang yung budget ko eh...
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »

Anyway, another question. Kumusta yung for example, vocal or instrument mic plugged into the pc sound card (mic in)? Is it advisable?

I already have a USB guitar link. Problem ko na lang is to record the vocals. I'm planning to buy a second hand Line 6 UX1. At least my separate mic and my guitar in sila.  :)

Guys, any suggestion of a cheaper alternative na audio interface na pwede for instruments and vocals?

It will work naman bro, pero ill advised siya kasi bukod sa noisy yung PC Soundcard, intese pa yung latency niya. iba pa rin pag may dedicated Audio Interface.

Pwede mo itry yung BEHRINGER XENYX302 USB. I think mas mura yun. then again, i think much better parin si UX1. :)

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »

Kung maingay ang room mo, I'd record with an XLR dynamic mic.  No need for the usb mics if you're getting the UX1.

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »
how to use Toontrack EZDrummer or any, where else but youtube. Check Toontrack's youtube channel or some other contributors/users.

BR & God bless
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 03:11:36 PM by inot1105 »
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline jowash

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »

kng nagsisimula kpa lng U can get away with ur soundcard by using asio4all driver pwede na rin sa Mic in set mo lng ang recording level mo na mababa pra less noise mas maganda kng may line input yung audiocard from pre amp to line in and just enhance the sounds with vst's google nlng
pero mas advisable na gmamit ng audio interface

here's an example of my  recording more than 5 years ago using Sonar 3 yung ginamit mic ng headset na pang chat yung mumurahin drtso sa built in soundcard mic in ang backing track midi na kinonvert sa tts1

audio plug inn na ksama na mismo sa Sonar 3 in my opinion audible na  check out link https://soundcloud.com/jowash/love-just-aint-enough

sa audio interface yung first buy ko na pasok may large diaphram mic na at the same time audio interface pwede mag record 2 seperate tracks  sabay may direct headphone monitoring may control knobs sa instrument input mic input at headphone sulit sa budjet ko i did buy SAMSON GTRACK
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/gtrack/

instrument input sa baba pwede stereo input or two seperate mono tracks i assign mo lng sa DAW ang recording input mo sa right ang isang track and left channel sa next track may kasama na ring breakout cable headphone out for direct monitoring may kasama na ring ibat ibang cables at saka Sonar LE software as DAW

kumpleto na out of the box

RECORDING SAMPLE LINK

[/color]

DOWNSIDE MABABA ANG BITRATE @ SAMPLERATE COMPARE SA IBANG AUDIO INTERFACE
                                            ABOVE CD QUALITY NA RIN

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »

pag rekta yung mic sa soundcard okay lang naman, sakin dati gumagana using an adaptor jack, yun nga lang may hiss, at alam ko depende rin sa soundcard..  yung latency issues pag direct to pc eh nasosolve naman ng asio4all driver.

ngayon naka samson usb condenser mic(kaso hirap ako isolate sound, pati kaluluwa at nagaaway sa kabilang kalye narerecord :-Dako tapos generic guitar usb interface for guitar and bass tracks tapos addictive drums..

pero bro kung ako sayo pagipunan ko nalang yung line 6, konti nalang naman eh, para di kana mamroblema, sa ngayon pagtsagaan mo muna yung usb guitar link and mic direct to sound card via adapter, tweak nalang yung noise..
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:35 AM »
kng nagsisimula kpa lng U can get away with ur soundcard by using asio4all driver pwede na rin sa Mic in set mo lng ang recording level mo na mababa pra less noise mas maganda kng may line input yung audiocard from pre amp to line in and just enhance the sounds with vst's google nlng
pero mas advisable na gmamit ng audio interface

here's an example of my  recording more than 5 years ago using Sonar 3 yung ginamit mic ng headset na pang chat yung mumurahin drtso sa built in soundcard mic in ang backing track midi na kinonvert sa tts1

audio plug inn na ksama na mismo sa Sonar 3 in my opinion audible na  check out link https://soundcloud.com/jowash/love-just-aint-enough

sa audio interface yung first buy ko na pasok may large diaphram mic na at the same time audio interface pwede mag record 2 seperate tracks  sabay may direct headphone monitoring may control knobs sa instrument input mic input at headphone sulit sa budjet ko i did buy SAMSON GTRACK
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/microphones/usb-microphones/gtrack/

instrument input sa baba pwede stereo input or two seperate mono tracks i assign mo lng sa DAW ang recording input mo sa right ang isang track and left channel sa next track may kasama na ring breakout cable headphone out for direct monitoring may kasama na ring ibat ibang cables at saka Sonar LE software as DAW

kumpleto na out of the box

RECORDING SAMPLE LINK

DOWNSIDE MABABA ANG BITRATE @ SAMPLERATE COMPARE SA IBANG AUDIO INTERFACE
                                            ABOVE CD QUALITY NA RIN

Nasa magkano yung ganito bro?
Do-it-yourself tirada!

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:15 AM »
Nasa magkano yung ganito bro?
Nasa less than 10k ata sa Audiophile.

Offline jowash

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »

Offline tonwins11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Mga sir, another question out of my curiosity. Since I'm plugging my mic sa line level (USB guitar link), has anyone of you tried using a pedal clean boost as mic preamp to raise yung level ng mic?
Do-it-yourself tirada!