hulika

Author Topic: How to get started on live sampling using drum machine/sequencer etc.?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Alphard

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Sorry if this sounds really basic but say I produced my electro-pop music. How do I play it live? How to use drum machine on it? I'm thinking of a music project where I live sample the beats or music while I sing on it. How to learn the basics of it. What program to use and everything. What laptop or desktop specs should I eye? Sorry I just learned a few basics on producing and I really wanna step up more and push through this idea that I have. Also, what are the cheapest brand and model I can score? Thank you very much.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sorry if this sounds really basic but say I produced my electro-pop music. How do I play it live? How to use drum machine on it? I'm thinking of a music project where I live sample the beats or music while I sing on it. How to learn the basics of it. What program to use and everything. What laptop or desktop specs should I eye? Sorry I just learned a few basics on producing and I really wanna step up more and push through this idea that I have. Also, what are the cheapest brand and model I can score? Thank you very much.

Check out youtube for videos of Ableton Live and Maschine. Both are popular platforms for live music sampling. Ableton is the more popular one (I think Chvrches is the only popular act that uses Maschine as a main sampler), though my impression was that it has a steeper learning curve (you have to know both the Ableton DAW and the hardware itself to use it capably) than the Maschine.

If you choose Ableton, there's a crapload of controllers for it with different capabilities and build qualities. It also has its "official" controller the Ableton Push, but I do not know how much that costs. With Maschine, you only really have two choices, the Mikro with only one knob and less buttons, and the regular sized Maschine with ten knobs and two larger screens. The software comes with the hardware, unlike Ableton.

You'd also probably want to have a keyboard to control your soft synths and samples with.

As for the computer, anything decent will do, really. A model up to three years ago should be fine. Make it a laptop coz it's kinda hard to gig with a desktop unless it's a Mac Mini or something (which is a great computer btw).

How to play it live. Well I've never even thought about that yet, but basically you'll have to have your song finished. You'll then set up patterns and parameters such that it will be easy for you to trigger, start, stop, mute, transpose, or apply effects to those patterns. In Maschine for example, the DAW is set up such that each sound/effect (one pad/trigger) is nested into a group (the 16 pad matrix) that can play a sequence. Each sound/effect, group, or sequence can be triggered by the pads. Improvisation  or looping is achieved by a record and playback button, and sounds, groups or sequences can be muted.

It's almost like DJing with a [gooey brown stuff] of buttons!  :)

For the cheap side of it all, as Ableton and Maschine are expensive endeavors (Maschine Mikro clocks in at 18K, for Ableton,
that's just a controller), there's always the bring a lot of standalone drum machines and synths and a looper and a mixer
option and do it all live. You can also buy those Korg Nano stuff to trigger your drum samples and synths, but you're in for
some workflow issues as they're really mobile input options, not really performance controllers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:03:12 AM by sonicassault »
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
how to play live? Push the play button and dance.

Offline Alphard

• Philmusicus Noobitus

how to play live? Push the play button and dance.
Obviously not the answer I'm looking for but that makes sense. Except for the dance part though.

Thanks for the reply sonicassault :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dariusbabylon

• Forum Fanatic
Sorry to be cynical, but I've done my time as an electronica artist, and the truth is, pushing the button is all there is. The rest is really just showmanship. Now if you want to do real electronic music, watch krafterk.  Button pushers? Watch Erasure.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sorry to be cynical, but I've done my time as an electronica artist, and the truth is, pushing the button is all there is. The rest is really just showmanship. Now if you want to do real electronic music, watch krafterk.  Button pushers? Watch Erasure.

I'll have to agree with this though. Once all the production elements are done, everything is playback and showmanship, aside from taking away elements from the production and doing it live with another instrument like a non-programmed synth or a guitar or bass. I picked a Maschine Mikro because Native Instruments makes the push button thing dead easy with the Maschine DAW, but of course if you want more leeway, there's Ableton. but still, that's just pushing buttons. The most basic and affordable electronic gear I can think of that doesn't involve just pushing buttons is a Korg Monotribe, and it's a bitch to get a hang of, AND that kind of stuff will not pass for electro pop because pop requires high levels of polish and hooks and drops.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili