hulika

Author Topic: Elegee or USA made guitar???  (Read 137691 times)

Offline scuttlebutter

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Elegee or USA made guitar???
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2007, 09:30:19 AM »
Timbre or tone is relative but guitar character is not.  Your guitar either has it or it does not.  You cannot build character.  It comes by a combination of luck and a lot of luthiering skill. 

I have tried and owned guitars that consistently beat out other guitars in terms of character and exceled in every type of music regardless of the guitar type.

agree ako dito. personally, mas importante sa akin ang character ng guitar kaysa sa tone. parang voice ng tao yan. maraming magagaling kumanta sa mundo pero it's those with unique voices that really leave a lasting impression.

Offline elegee

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »
hay tagal ako di naka pag phil music ah????hehehe sir oas pasyal or ako na lang panta sa inyo papakita ko ko yang PRS tribute ko sa yo n compare natin sa BAKER USA mo. wala pa masyado nakakakita nun khit mga customer..post ko later mga picz nun.. tsaka upload ni pjc mamaya sa you tube yung video clip...sori pero cel lng ang kuha..tnx more power to you guys( guitar hospital ) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
cel. no 09178288761 landline 7166665 add.4861 old sta. mesa st., sta mesa m.mmy map.jpeg

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2007, 11:23:48 AM »
hi sir jon! more power to elegee hahaha... halimaw sustani ng guitar mo... kakainin nun kahit may sustainer pa yung guitar

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
hay tagal ako di naka pag phil music ah????hehehe sir oas pasyal or ako na lang panta sa inyo papakita ko ko yang PRS tribute ko sa yo n compare natin sa BAKER USA mo. wala pa masyado nakakakita nun khit mga customer..post ko later mga picz nun.. tsaka upload ni pjc mamaya sa you tube yung video clip...sori pero cel lng ang kuha..tnx more power to you guys( guitar hospital ) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Jon wag mo nang patulan yang si Alex alam naman nating there's no pleasing him eh...

The dragon has put out my fire.

itchybrain

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2007, 07:09:55 PM »
Huh?  How did ego get into the picture?  People I know who had guitars custom built did so because of preferred specs.

clearly i stated "imho."  :-) but then i ask: define "ego", my friend.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/ego

there you go.  :-D

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
clearly i stated "imho."  :-) but then i ask: define "ego", my friend.

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/ego

there you go.  :-D

You needed to look up the word "ego"?   :-D  Loko lang.

Still doesn't answer my question.  Your statement hinted at an underlying, negative reason for having a guitar custom built.  I don't get it.  Care to explain why?

itchybrain

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2007, 11:49:15 PM »
You needed to look up the word "ego"?   :-D  Loko lang

:-D with "needed" being the key word, yes, sir, because i am a writer. :-D

anyway, i'm not trying to be a smart-ass but i really don't find the word "ego" negative. as  defined in the link, ego is is actually something good, at least, for oneself: self-admiration, self-pride, etc. i said "ego," not "egotism" or "egoism"-- which are all nouns.

baka semantics lang ang problem natin.  :-D

quoting you, "hinted at an underlying, negative reason" -- my apologies if the word "ego" negated what i really meant to say to readers. i just made a comparative opinion about self-gratification versus musicianship. this comparison on having an elegee or a US custom led me to think that no matter what kind of custom guitar it is, we, as guitarists/guitar lovers, are ENTITTLED to this form of self-fulfillment-- if we can afford it.  :-)

and then came the word "character."  :-D intriguing..

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2007, 01:51:10 AM »
hmmmm i like to have a gibson firebird pro i also like to have a guitar na me specs ko thingin ko mag papa custom nalang ako hehehehe ser jon nag bago kanaba ng number text kita dika reply balak ko pagawa ulet ng custom

clue an archtop iceman guitar what yah think
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER

Offline gitaristang_pusa

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2007, 11:34:02 AM »
 :mrgreen: rock n roll hahahaha inuman na to may bagong volks si jon hahahaha celebration! custom volks naman ngayon pareng jon hahaha! pimp my volks whahahaha! elegee volkswagen. Ayus!  :-D
be the lion, not the sheep.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »
Jon,

Can you say that your PRS tribute guitar has the best character of all the guitars you have produced to date?

If so, then I will accept your invite for a comparison.

Thanks.

Offline bakit?

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2007, 12:16:31 AM »
Jon,

Can you say that your PRS tribute guitar has the best character of all the guitars you have produced to date?

If so, then I will accept your invite for a comparison.

Thanks.

i can see another shoot out here.cge parinig ng clips mga sir,upload sa youtube.thanks!
I believe that the definition of definition is reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself.

Completely.

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »

i can see another shoot out here.cge parinig ng clips mga sir,upload sa youtube.thanks!

i agree

itchybrain

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2007, 12:31:30 AM »

maganda nga marinig. pero mas ok yata kung "in person."  :-) punta na kaya ako?  :-D

Offline nealyu

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2007, 12:33:14 AM »
mahirap din bro maghanap ng time e hehehe

itchybrain

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »

mismo. lalo na kung marami akong labahin.  :-D

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2007, 01:53:47 AM »
All these guitars versus ELEGEE GUITARS ???

mmmm...

ako yung naka black jacket, nakatalikod  :lol:

ELEGEE PARIN!  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:57:38 AM by tam_guitar »
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2007, 05:53:35 AM »
Awhile back I asked Jon to invite me if he found a guitar that he made that was absolutely killer.  So, I am just verifying if he did find one.

So, hindi ito shoot out.  Jon already has an idea of what I am looking for in a guitar.

Its more like Baker versus all those guitars including Elegee.  Bakers dont even make it to showrooms and as I can recall only around 100 guitars have been made the last 3 years. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2007, 06:21:09 AM »
I just want to say that Elegee at this point in time will never be in the same league as the new Baker B3 because

1) It was handmade by a master luthier with around 15 years experience in the USA.  He started out with Gibson Custom Shop and was with Fender Custom Shop for 8 years working with best luthiers of that time.  He also designed and made Robben Ford's Signature while at Fender.
2) His wood.  The wood used on the Baker B3s are old growth and pre-banned hand picked wood by Gene and Cliff.  And i have to say that among the two Baker B3s that I have tried, marunong mamili ng kahoy na may character sina Gene and Cliff. 

So, hindi ito shoot out.  That being said, I believe that Jon had to improve on his polish and finish compared to standard USA guitars.  Mayroon rin polido at magandang finish na standard na USA guitar na panget itsura and panget ang tunog.  So, obviously an Elegee can beat that type of USA guitar. And I expect that at this point in time, Jon should have already improved.  Weight of Jon's wood is kind of heavy.  No matter the explanation, there are ash guitars that are so light even on stock Japanese made guitars.  As I said before, what I like about Jon's work is his design and aesthetic appeal and I will say again that no local luthiers comes close to this.  But for me personally, after the first few minutes, the guitar fails to connect.  Either the vibe is off or the character is not there.  I am hoping his PRS tribute guitar does have better vibe and character. 

Not to diminish the excitement over custom guitars, but really getting a guitar with character is a matter of luck and not of design.  As I said before, even Ron Thorn has refused to make a guitar for me because he cannot guarantee it will meet the sound character I want.  I am just extremely lucky with my Baker#55 and I am just down to that single guitar because it killed everything else I owned.  It is not ideal to be reduced to one guitar thats why I have a Baker#41 set to arrive any day now but it remains to be seen if Baker#41 can be on #55's level.   I have always a been a "see what you get guy" when it comes to guitars but Baker changed all of that for me.  And since Gene Baker and Cliff Cultreri now know my standards, I can order a guitar without every hearing it.  There is only one problem with that arrangement, you cannot customize. 

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2007, 12:03:46 PM »
I just want to say that Elegee at this point in time will never be in the same league as the new Baker B3 because

1) It was handmade by a master luthier with around 15 years experience in the USA.  He started out with Gibson Custom Shop and was with Fender Custom Shop for 8 years working with best luthiers of that time.  He also designed and made Robben Ford's Signature while at Fender.
2) His wood.  The wood used on the Baker B3s are old growth and pre-banned hand picked wood by Gene and Cliff.  And i have to say that among the two Baker B3s that I have tried, marunong mamili ng kahoy na may character sina Gene and Cliff. 

So, hindi ito shoot out.  That being said, I believe that Jon had to improve on his polish and finish compared to standard USA guitars.  Mayroon rin polido at magandang finish na standard na USA guitar na panget itsura and panget ang tunog.  So, obviously an Elegee can beat that type of USA guitar. And I expect that at this point in time, Jon should have already improved.  Weight of Jon's wood is kind of heavy.  No matter the explanation, there are ash guitars that are so light even on stock Japanese made guitars.  As I said before, what I like about Jon's work is his design and aesthetic appeal and I will say again that no local luthiers comes close to this.  But for me personally, after the first few minutes, the guitar fails to connect.  Either the vibe is off or the character is not there.  I am hoping his PRS tribute guitar does have better vibe and character. 

Not to diminish the excitement over custom guitars, but really getting a guitar with character is a matter of luck and not of design.  As I said before, even Ron Thorn has refused to make a guitar for me because he cannot guarantee it will meet the sound character I want.  I am just extremely lucky with my Baker#55 and I am just down to that single guitar because it killed everything else I owned.  It is not ideal to be reduced to one guitar thats why I have a Baker#41 set to arrive any day now but it remains to be seen if Baker#41 can be on #55's level.   I have always a been a "see what you get guy" when it comes to guitars but Baker changed all of that for me.  And since Gene Baker and Cliff Cultreri now know my standards, I can order a guitar without every hearing it.  There is only one problem with that arrangement, you cannot customize. 

i see your point alex. however, dont you think it is unfair to compare jon to gene baker?

we can see you excitement over your #55, its been gosh damned at nearly every  one of your post, and we can not only see but now feel how floored you are by bakers work. trust me, i believe every word you say about your baker, and have developed the my own interest in your fine piece. if its good for robben ford, that its fantastic for subhumans like you and me.

jon has to make do with whatever wood resource is available in our shores, and i reckon he is doing a fine job at what he does. but i haven't read anybody  proclaiming elegee guitars to be the very best in the world, or even among the creme dela creme of all guitars in this vast guitar universe, to warrant your comparison as far as gene baker is concerned. thats far fetched.

its like comparing a ford mustang to a pagani zonda, man. both totally in different classes. or, should i say for a more juicier example, michelle madrigal vs jessica alba.

now, if jon wants to make a friendly comparison or litmus test of your baker and his personal prs copy, i'm sure that it would be a positive learning experience for him. he has improved,  i firmly believe that the only way to go is up for him. the guitarhospital was not made in one day and i see elegee to be in its infantile stage. a child with great promise.

jon, in your eyes and ears, may have some catching up to do, but with the continued support he gets from everybody, that should propel him to world class heights. i'm not saying today, or tomorrow.

i'm sure arie and jun castro had it that way too. i have played a custom guitar arie made, i really dug it, but never in my mind would i have entertained the thought of comparing his work to what gibson or fender churn out en masse like big macs. and my imagination is limited by common sense as not to go as far as to compare arie to dan erlewine with regard to his guitar repair skills, or vs someone like james tyler or jeff earle terwilliger of JET guitars with the custom he made.

i do not seek jon's services for him to make me the ultimate guitar, and i'm dead sure that his many customers aren't after the holy grail. its a myth.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2007, 12:08:28 PM »
.......we can see you excitement over your #55, its been gosh damned at nearly every  one of your post
.... nah!!!! we need more post ... so it's gonna be imprinted in our minds.... nope our soul.   :lol:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2007, 12:09:46 PM »
And since Gene Baker and Cliff Cultreri now know my standards, I can order a guitar without every hearing it. 

Alex, what do you think Cliff really thinks about you?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Alex, what do you think Cliff really thinks about you?
Eric, why don't you call these guys see if they remember Mr. OAS.... sounds like they are really great buds.   :lol:
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
.... nah!!!! we need more post ... so it's gonna be imprinted in our minds.... nope our soul.   :lol:

Ha ha... kapansin-pansin nga ano?  I think the guy goes to bed with his #55.  Yikes.  Careful sa mga gustong sumubok...  :-D  Joke lang Alex.

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Eric, why don't you call these guys see if they remember Mr. OAS.... sounds like they are really great buds.   :lol:

No comment... maybe I already did...  :-D  I wonder what he would say if he knew how one of his customers behaved, and dropped his name at every opportunity?

Cliff is actually a nice guy to exchange emails with.  Naks, name-dropping na rin ako!  Ha ha!  He responds very quickly, and sometimes the discussion isn't just about guitars.  He has some good things to say about life in general.  I feel for the guy, he's going through a lot of pain right now.

Offline schnitzerz4

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2007, 01:01:30 PM »
grabe magkano ba yang baker na yan? bibili nga ako nyan TATLO! hehehehehe =)

siguro naman meron sa goldilocks nyan kung wala sa julie's kaya? hehehehe