hulika

Author Topic: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!  (Read 86854 times)

Offline ortigas

Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« on: September 08, 2006, 03:12:23 PM »
Razorback has been around for the past 16 years and to this day many of the fans and friends of the band still do not know how it came to be. Many think we really started when Kevin Roy became singer for the band in 1991, but in all actuality, the mayhem started way before then...

Here it is in black and white for all to read and learn from (I am keeping out the juiciest details for later):

I had met Tirso Ripoll around 1982 when I became classmates with his cousin Mike Ripoll in LSGH. Mike was my 7th Grade classmate and we started going to each others birthday parties during our pre teens. Mike is still my best friend. Kumpare ko yan. At one of these events at the Ripoll home in San Juan, Tirso walked in with his younger brother Roman (former owner of "Peligro" Bar) and he had the loudest, big mouth, I had heard! Dang! I thought to myself, "Who the F**k is this guy?" Eventually we all found out we shared the same passion for Rock music, so we hung out with each other a lot more, and into our college days we would frequent the Ripoll Beach house in Nasugbu, Batangas, as often as we could.

Even then, around 1985, we were already forming our fantasy band lineups, with Tirso and I on guitars, and various friends on the other instruments. Of course, it never came to be at the time but I had already taken guitar lessons cause I was adamant about it. I sucked on guitar, big time! My fingers were too big to fret. It never bothered me though cause I knew you did not need a lot of talent to be like "The Ramones" or "The Sex Pistols" and to me that would have been just fine. So I learned my basic chords and quit the Yamaha School of Music. Benjie Zialcita (head instructor at said school) kept trying to influence me in the right direction but somehow someway I just wanted to Rock! I did not care to learn "Romansa de Amor" but would rather shred out "Smoke on the Water". Tirso, Dave, and Louie all learned under Benj at different times. Benjie Zialcita was an awesome influence to us all as well. He played "The KKK Took My Baby Away" with Paul Horrigan and Inaki Martinez at our school gazebo for some program in my 3rd High School year and I ran out of my remedial test to see them when I heard the noise from my classroom. F**k the test! I had to see who was playing! The beat of the live drum drove me mad!

My brother David Aguirre was growing up at the time from childhood to his high school years and at first was influenced by his mothers' musical tastes which I felt were out of date. He was into Elvis and Hermans Hermits! One day, he had just gotten home from school when I popped in this "Twisted Sister" live concert video and he just flipped for Dee Snyder screaming out profanity in front of a mad, MAD California Arena audience. He said stuff like "We're filming here in Cali-f*kin'-fornia man, so don't touch the cameramen, don't hit the cameramen, and most especially, don't f**k the cameramen." Wow!!! What an impact that made on this kid’s life! From that day, Dave was attached to my record collection. He researched everything backwards, like most of you out there, and discovered the best of the best Rock n' Roll out there available to us.

Dave would ask his mom to show him some guitar chords on her acoustic guitar (played lefty but strung righty like Hendrix) and he was strumming away from that time on. That must have been at our 2nd Greenmeadows home around 1986. He was dying to get an electric guitar! Tirso on the other hand had already bought my first electric guitar, a Hondo Strat, Japan made, which I had given up on and sold him and he was learning from books and his older brother Junus. Tirso refused to start with an acoustic guitar.

At the Ripoll Beach house, Tirso came up with his first original compositions called "Hi Lo" and "May Patay sa Main Beach" which had true meaning since we once found a dead body floating up the main Tali beach and reported it to the authorities. These were mainly comedic or funny compositions but the writing was already there for Tirso. He always wrote of personal experiences...just listen to his songs and hear it for yourself.

It was at this time that I had met Pepe Smith, Sampaguita, Pepito Bosch (RIP), Billy Bonnevie, Edmund Fortuno (RIP) and many of the Pinoy Rock Legends and that really reinforced my dreams. I watched them pIay for the first time ever at Babes Romero's now defunct Electra Bar on Kalayaan Ave. in Makati with my broken leg in a cast in 1988. I wanted to be like them! It seemed at these events, everyone wanted to be with them, love them, or just say hello to these mighty Pinoy Rock Icons.

One day, when we got to talking about it, we decided we could do it, and so would have sleep-overs at my place while all the time playing our strings. Tirso and I still dreamt of the forth coming future for our fledgling band it seemed. We actually recorded our first instrumental in my room with Dave and Tirso  exchanging lead guitars played on verses of chords where I played the bass over an electronic drum track. No, no one will ever hear that. It came out alright for our first experiment so we again made new decisions as to who would play what. My friend at the time had an older bro who was selling his drum kit from the 70's (which looked like the perfect "combo" kit...gold and sparkly) so I went to their place and pretty much took it from their bodega for free....with "thank you's" to Robin himself who allowed me to steal the kit...

That was that!

I set the drums up at home that Sunday and Dave started playing "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC which I was able to keep up with. I was playing the drums! From conceptualization to fruition it seemed I could play a steady enough beat! It seemed like heaven with just Dave and I. Our parents came home from church that night and we showed ‘em what we could do......they freaked! Politely, they said, "It was nice". After their blessing from church, we gave them some hell.

The next weekend it goes without saying that we 3 got together for some jamming and we asked Junus Ripoll to come on as our first bass player even though he could play much better lead guitar than either of my boys. We kept it that way cause we knew that at least the 3 of us could work together though we actually had different musical directions with Junus. We then recruited our mutual friend Isabel Lozano (www.myspace.com/isabel) as lead singer after trying out numerous friends who thought they could sing and we finally had a garage band! We played our first official gig at the "Big Bang sa Alabang" and we were then known as "Outrider" along with some then unknowns who later made names for themselves as well. I remember the younger bro of a classmate of mine, Gino Evaristo, who was bitching that they had to go on later than their slot cause someone had cut his guitar strings. He went on to become "Color it Red's" guitar player on their first album. Sabotage is dirty business and some bands still do it today. Razorback always respected lineup scheds other than when we had "lagare" gigs which meant we had to be at another venue within a time frame. In those cases, we went on on time, or not at all.

We had our first big break when we submitted our audition tape consisting of "Stairway to Heaven" and some other classic rock songs to the Upsilon Sigma Phi- NU107 battle of the bands contest. We won over Aftermath (guitar player Sancho Sanchez of "Loquy") only because we had better song selection I think. Also, a prettier singer...hehe. Dude, they played "Can I Play With Madness" by Iron Maiden and I thought we had no chance. We got named winner and freaked! I'm sure the Upsilonians voted unanimously....

From that point, we thought that we were ready for the club scene, which at the time required three 1-hour sets. This was the show band scene we were attempting to break into so we had to be strong. We thought that with our draw of friends that we could fill up clubs but again it was the late 80's to early 90's and only "The Dawn" were filling up venues if they decided to play outside of San Miguel Beer arena events.

Isabel Lozano quit the band before we signed anything, which saved us a lawsuit, but we ended up playing at Kalye Bar on Palanca St. in Legazpi Village every Saturday with Jose Mari Cuervo for the first year and then, when we dropped him from the lineup, we continued on with Kevin Roy for the next three years. We also had many bass players from the time, Junus Ripoll was with us, to John Templo, Jody Valencia, and finally to the maestro, Louie Talan who stuck with the guys since he came into the band. It was hard but with the support of our friends we made a steady gig of it. From 1991-94 we played almost every Saturday there including Christmas holidays and Easter Breaks…. after the 1st year, we were playing about two long sets and, later, we whittled it down to 1 long-ass set at the end of the evening when the place was jam-packed. We invited our friends from other bands (The Youth, Gnash, etc…) to play warm up sets and get the jamming started in the early evening.

So, the line-up then till the recording of Hebigat Sounds Vol. 1, Razorback’s 1st album, was composed of Tirso Ripoll and David Aguirre on guitars, Louie Talan on bass, Kevin Roy on vocals and myself on drums. Those early days, the early ‘90’s, are irreplaceable and were the beginnings of the 2nd coming of the Pinoy Rock scene.

Hopefully the other guys in the band are lurkers here at Philmusic and they add on some stories to this post. That would be fun!  :D

Offline jasezon

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »
How it all started with kevin roy?What was his band before?And what band comes 1st?Razorback or wolfgang?Since like you're friends with this band (wolfgang).

Offline nestee_rip

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 12:44:48 AM »
wow!

awe-inspiring story man!

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »
It's good to hear war stories like this.  It's very inspiring.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 11:35:40 AM »
how did they met the new drummer ? where did he came from ?

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 01:17:56 PM »
wow, great story!!! continue, continue :)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
Ayos 'to Migs. Konting "official story" pa and then we can get to "the dirt"  :lol: !

This thread should eventually be strung with the Blue Rats thread on Jazz & Blues Cafe forum -- if the other "associated" bands start theirs too, it could be a book -- "A History of Pinoy Rock and Blues"!

Continue, continue......

Offline pearljam

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 07:17:15 PM »
razorback pare..azteg!!!
rock en roll!blues pare sarap...namiss ko cla
Tish...kcuf...<br /><br /><br />

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 09:57:42 AM »
Quote from: ortigas

We had our first big break when we submitted our audition tape consisting of "Stairway to Heaven" and some other classic rock songs to the Upsilon Sigma Phi- NU107 battle of the bands contest. We won over Aftermath (guitar player Sancho Sanchez of "Loquy") only because we had better song selection I think. Also, a prettier singer...hehe. Dude, they played "Can I Play With Madness" by Iron Maiden and I thought we had no chance. We got named winner and freaked! I'm sure the Upsilonians voted unanimously....

i wrote miguel on myspace in response to this post....hehe...well i decided to reveal a secret.

in that same battle of the bands competition, i was a guitar player for the third band....razorback, aftermath and us...a name i wont reveal, not unless you guys can guess it---w/c you probably can't. :lol:

anyway...we sucked big time! i've only gotten a lil better in playing....but i'm proud to have been there---when razorback got their big break! 8)
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline free

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »
more! more! more!  :twisted:
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it". - Edith Sitwell

Offline ortigas

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
Quote from: jasezon
How it all started with kevin roy?What was his band before?And what band comes 1st?Razorback or wolfgang?Since like you're friends with this band (wolfgang).

Everyone knows that Kev is the younger brother of Karl Roy. Karl was my classmate in grade school at OB Montessori in Greenhills. We lost touch after I left the school and moved on to La Salle GH but caught up with each other later during my college years. Karl was then singing with Advent Call. When Razorback was playing every Saturday at Kalye bar in Makati our singer then Josemari would sometimes flake out on some gigs for reasons we will not delve into here. When he would skip out like that, we'd send out the message to all our singer friends to come jam nalang with us and Karl would always come over and we'd have the best jams with fights breaking out in the middle of the crowd cause of how rowdy the kids would get. When we got rid of Josemari, we auditioned quite a bunch of guys, notably Naldy Padilla who went on to sing for Orient Pearl, and Kevin. Kevin walked in with a big squirt gun and his posse. He had the most confidence plus the willingness to rock with us and not be a diva so we decided on him to front the band and that was that!

Wolfgang started after us. Wolf and Manuel are both friends of mine. Basti was my cousins singer in their garage band, Sin City. Originally, Manuel was actually jamming with Naldy Padilla and Jay Alviar who used to drum for Advent Call and is now with the Brass Munkeys. When Manny and Wolf got together, that was it. They got Mon and Basti and they never changed a thing till the day they broke up.

Offline ortigas

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 07:58:47 PM »
Quote from: bugoy
how did they met the new drummer ? where did he came from ?

Brian used to live in my cousin Jay's house and they would regularly come to our gigs and hang with us. Brian and I share the same birthday (aside from Zach Lucero) so we'd always be at each others' celebrations. Bri then was teaching drums at RJ's music school so when I left the band, he was the obvious choice to replace me.

Offline free

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 07:59:52 PM »
how about the origins of your songs? hidden meanings? album art?
"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it". - Edith Sitwell

Offline ortigas

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »
Quote from: free
how about the origins of your songs? hidden meanings? album art?

I only recorded the first album with the guys so I really can't talk much about the other 3 albums. Yes, there are lots of hidden meanings and stories how these songs got put together.

About the 1st album cover...we used to have this guy, Uro Inocencio,  come over and he'd make drawings of us while we played. We'd tell him to make us look like cartoon wild boars playing instruments and after a few experiments, he got it right so we commissioned him to do the Hebigat cover. He was nasty screwed on shabs and so later on he was trying to get us guys to pay crazy amounts of money to buy his other cartoon work. I begged off but a few of the guys bought some. Later, we heard nalang that his girl broke his heart and he had hung himself. Dumb-ass thing to do, killing himself. He was very talented at marami namang babae dyan. RIP, Uro.

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 08:30:57 AM »
That's what doing stupid things like shabs can do... Screws up your head.  You and I've had our share, eh, kumpare?  Dang, the stupid things we did back then...  :oops:

It was care of Miguel that the Breed sorta got our break to do Kalye as well.  Migs sessioned with us once at the now-long-defunct Fire & Rain on Pasay road, and he asked us if we'd like to audition to play there as well.  I remember Eddie Rocha (F&R's owner) was a jealous boss... He really wanted us to stay as playing somewhere else would mean dividing our following to see us elsewhere aside from at his place.  But audition we did and got Wednesday nights.  We attended each other's gigs regularly and became good friends in the process, even going as far as Puerto Galera on a regular basis to keep the party going... Razorback and the Breed fronted for Bon Jovi when they played here and after we were done on the first evening we went straight to Kalye for a gig!  Rocked and Rolled all night and partied every day!  Those were the days, eh, Migs?  Pitchers of rum and coke (Tanduay 5 yrs. only, please), lots of weed and cigarettes.  Miguel has since sworn off alcohol and is now apparently an ex-smoker as well.  When my daughter was born, he was the first at the hospital helping me calm my nerves and is now Louie's godfather.  He has married the girl of his dreams (Tricie G., now Tricie O.) in a civil ceremony last week and will have the church wedding here in the good ol' Pinas sometime at the end of the year.  Good for you, old friend. :)
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
nice post miguel..maybe you should invite the guys so they can butt in and tell what's behind the music...  :wink:
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »
Just wanted to add, first time I got back to de pelepens, I saw a Razorback show in Kalye, and DAMMIT my life was never the same!! I mean, these guys blew my mind! utra cool Mo'Fo's!

After that, I kinda took my guitar playing seriously..  :twisted:

I made it a habit to go every sat as much as I could to absorb the coolness.. They were the ones who opened my mind to Juan Dela Cruz!

Thanks Rock Gods!!  :twisted:
Are You Experienced

Offline ortigas

Re: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 11:35:55 AM »
Quote from: blues2death
in that same battle of the bands competition, i was a guitar player for the third band....razorback, aftermath and us...a name i wont reveal, not unless you guys can guess it---w/c you probably can't. :lol:

anyway...we sucked big time! i've only gotten a lil better in playing....but i'm proud to have been there---when razorback got their big break! 8)

Nyehehehe! Liar! What do you mean "I've only gotten a lil better"? Bull crap! Shall I bust your secret identity so everyone will know how in demand you are and how good you actually are?  :twisted:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 11:39:34 AM »
Quote from: dantuts
nice post miguel..maybe you should invite the guys so they can butt in and tell what's behind the music...  :wink:

I already did! Salamat!

Offline ortigas

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
Quote from: lefty
Thanks Rock Gods!!  :twisted:
Hmmmm...salamat din, bro! :wink:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2006, 12:10:37 PM »
Hey kumpare'ng Dyanni! I'm still struggling with the booze. It's always a struggle. I did quit the cigarettes but was smoking the small cigars naman. Sh*t.  :lol: In the process of quitting those too.  :roll:

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
Hmmm, just checked the membership stats. Tirso has entered the building. Another boar on the loose on the board!  8)

Offline ortigas

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »
Oh, yeah! Here we go!!!  Not just Tirso but Uric D'Viking has entered the building! :twisted:

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 12:51:15 PM »
Okay, Migs. Kwento naman sa TV appearance nyo sa RSVP. Chan7. Karamihan ng kasamo ko nanood nun inaabangan eheadz. Well catchy naman tunes ng e headz. pero Rock trip ko nun e. Pinagpuyatan ko yun men. At nakalimutan ko yung name ng kid na naka skin head. Kwento naman dyan!
ton2x

Offline dizzychix76

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »
god, Migs...that totally flashes me back...pasay days.  when "bulkan" was written in topepits sala.  I actually wanted to audition for razorback after cuervo left.  But i didnt think you guys would want another female vocalist.  in the end, Kev was the right choice :)
"It's not PMS, maybe I just don't like you"