hulika

Author Topic: How to get the GRUNGE sound?  (Read 8817 times)

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
How to get the GRUNGE sound?
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:27:10 AM »
Mga sir help me naman. I'm just a newbie. I plan to get the grunge sound. What effects can you suggest to get that nirvana, old school silverchair sound, maybe some soundgarden or deftones. Just the crunchy sound is ok for me. Actually i plan to just fulfill my rockstar dreams sa room ko. hehehe

I also plan to have a guitar customed from one of the luthiers here. Any ballpark figure for a customed guitar? I fancy a fender jaguar. Kung custom ba pati mga pickups kaw bibile and all. Or should i just get a mint 2nd hand in the ads here? Sorry i dont know anything 'bout this stuff. I'm an old "newbie" in this field guys. :-D I just need opinions from the masters here. Appreciate the help. Thanks!

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:30:05 AM by zooom »

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: How to get the GRUNGE sound?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:46:39 AM »
Boss DS-2

Offline ghostalker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:04:43 AM »
God Bless!
Rockin' for Jesus 

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »

Try growing up. Its pretty sweet. Makes you look less of a fool.

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies bros. Do you have any ballpark figures for the Boss and the Digitech? I researched that having a custom guitar is expensive. So I guess i'll just go with a 2nd hand guitar.  :-D

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:11 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies bros. Do you have any ballpark figures for the Boss and the Digitech? I researched that having a custom guitar is expensive. So I guess i'll just go with a 2nd hand guitar.  :-D

you dont have to go expensive on your guitars (you're gonna smash it up anyway. hehe) get a simple strat, or anything that somes your way way and burn it up. as long as you're comfortable with it that is. I know what you feel, i love to get a jagmaster just to complete the feel, but until then, my strat and lp would do.

hmm DS-2 or Digitech Grunge?, just imagine this, kurt actually used the DS-2, as far as I know and also allegedly threw away the Grunge when it was given to him. so go figure, besides, the DS-2 sounds way better for grunge tones. At least thats my opinion.

try this site. http://kurtsequipment.com/

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
Bro you just opened my eyes! Thank you so much and i appreciate all the replies. :lol: Now i'm just scouring for a good 2nd hand guitar less than 5k in our ads section. Hehehe Any budget meal amp can you recommend? Now im getting closer to my grunge dream. Wuhooo!!! :evil:

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:32:03 AM »
check the guitar accessories section for amps, I have no particular preference for amps, my practice amp is just those freebie fernando amps you get at JB music. You can never go wrong though with tried and tested amps like Marshall.

Try going to JB and get yourself an Orange amp. alot of people like marshalls, and other amps. but Orange amps gave me the best tone whether clean or overdriven. I used it once, and I totally forgot my stompbox, Its a killer amp! just shop around mate and get whatever sounds good. Oh yeah, Behringer's small tube amp, sounds awesome too, and I think I saw one here before being sold around the 3k regions.

Welcome to Philmusic my friend. Come as you are.

Offline calculon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
you have to look like a lumberjack! hehe joke!
DS-2,DS-1,DOD/digitech grunge,EHX big muff,small clone will do :-D
your hormones control you!!!

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:16 AM »
you have to look like a lumberjack!

exatly, hehe, there's this one band who did a spictorial in the woods with the lead vocalist holding some sort of chainsaw and all of them wearing flannel. funny as hell. Im still looking for that pic.

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
Maybe i'd wear some of those checkered long sleeves i believe those are the in thing right now. Hehehehe Thanks for the warm welcome grungeman and calculon.  :-D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 11:04:06 AM by zooom »

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
exatly, hehe, there's this one band who did a spictorial in the woods with the lead vocalist holding some sort of chainsaw and all of them wearing flannel. funny as hell. Im still looking for that pic.

this might be them...

The vocals dude always had a chainsaw onstage... pero during their time, they were more southern hard rock than grunge.  :-)

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »
That dude looks scary bro. :evil:

Offline charlz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:05 PM »
score ka ng fender strat sa classifieds or kpag mejo tight budget eh squier strat db hehe mas mura pero ndi maipagkakaila ang quality hehe kaysa custom-made same price din or mas mahal pa cguro magagastos mu.. ok yung DS bro tas pa-mod mu sa mga resident modders natin d2 hehe.. .boss mt2 ok din i recommend hardcore_misery ok yung overkill mod nia tried and tested.. :-D
cel no.::0922-873-3712..0935-204-0080
successful transactions with:BAMF,Toybitz,neil_squadron,mondemonle,kenzu0911,
hardcore misery,Donard,diaboliche,ciswith,avatarsaint,soliloki,Elpugonero, jesper2g,luk3,sikheadzraf,p2ltronilogd,mrpentatonic,paparoni

Offline wiccan8888

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »
stratocaster + boss ds1.

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
this might be them...

The vocals dude always had a chainsaw onstage... pero during their time, they were more southern hard rock than grunge.  :-)

LOL  :-D that guy looks like steve vai's long lost, and forsaken brother. Cool pic, but its not the band I'm looking for, I think its Tad or something I dont remember. I still get the creeps looking at this pic though. hehe, thanks athanvai.

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »
What's the difference mga sir between a DS1 and DS2? How 'bout those Boston ds100 they sell for 1k a pop? :-)

Offline ryantetek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »
What's the difference mga sir between a DS1 and DS2? How 'bout those Boston ds100 they sell for 1k a pop? :-)

ung ds-2 parang ds-1 din sya yun nga lang may turbo mode sya,para ka na rin bumili nang 2 pedal gamitan mo lang ng footswitch to switch between the modes.Kurt also used a ds-1.  :-D

Bili ka na lang ng ds-1 2.5k lang brand new nun!

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Thanks bro! Uy ayus yang avatar mo. Paborito ko din yan. :-) Ano gears mo bro pala?

Offline ryantetek

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 02:51:06 PM »
Thanks bro! Uy ayus yang avatar mo. Paborito ko din yan. :-) Ano gears mo bro pala?

simple lang:

Squier strat-->ds2-->ds1-->dod250

ds2 for main dirt,ds1 for od then dod250 for boost  :-D

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
Do you have any youtube vids bro? Post mo naman. hehehe grungeman post ka din bro. :-)

Offline wiccan8888

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
Do you have any youtube vids bro? Post mo naman. hehehe grungeman post ka din bro. :-)

this might be of help:

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

:-)

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »
Thanks wican! What is that black thingie na CHORUS nakasulat? and the other black box beside it?  :-)

Offline grungeman5000

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:57 AM »
Thanks wican! What is that black thingie na CHORUS nakasulat? and the other black box beside it?  :-)

The EHX Polychorus is one of his mod effects, it adds a chorus, flange, and other sh*t i cant possibly comprehend CRAZY! (lame explanation) .Just listen to Heart Shaped Box for a sample instead of listening to me. As for the other small box, if im not mistaken, thats the EHX small clone. listen to the lead for smells like teen spirit, for some ear candy samples of this baby.

Offline zooom

• Netizen Level
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 07:44:46 AM »
Thanks bro! I guess i'll just stick with the DS2. Hehehe  :lol: