hulika

Author Topic: Overrated and underrated pedals  (Read 34454 times)

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
Overrated and underrated pedals
« on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:39 PM »
I'll start by giving one, the badmonkey IMO is so overrated from what I've heard from it and others opinions I think it's one hell of a tone sucker.

How 'bout you? Give out your opinions
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:20:50 PM by samishellacool »

Offline demoboi

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Overrated and underrated pedals
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »
underrated: Daphon Pedals.
EXN PEDALBOARDS AND CASES http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,76364.0.html09173208410 / YM: exnpedalboards / skype: exn_pedalboards / fb: exnpedalboards / multiply: exnpedalboards

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »
underrated: Daphon Pedals.
Yeah.. the Daphon Compressor is the replica of the MXR dyna compressor..
Available Guitarist for bands, Showbands/variety music, acoustic etc../color]

Offline slaphappy

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 02:51:21 AM »
Ibanez DE7! for me, ang ganda ng tunog.  :-)

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 03:27:45 AM »
Overrated: Zvex. Yes they are unique sounding but I know only of a handful of songs that have used their pedals. The Box of Rock/Metal is probably the most useful of them with the Fuzz Factory close behind.

Underrated: Boss pedals. Seriously, too many people are dismissing Boss immediately without listening to the pedals in favor of the boutiques. Many Boss pedals are really good sounding and can hold their own in tours and stage abuse. Easily replaced also. I can't say the same for many of the boutique brands.

Don't flame me. Its my opinion. You have yours, I have mine.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 04:13:30 AM »
Overrated: Zvex. Yes they are unique sounding but I know only of a handful of songs that have used their pedals. The Box of Rock/Metal is probably the most useful of them with the Fuzz Factory close behind.

Underrated: Boss pedals. Seriously, too many people are dismissing Boss immediately without listening to the pedals in favor of the boutiques. Many Boss pedals are really good sounding and can hold their own in tours and stage abuse. Easily replaced also. I can't say the same for many of the boutique brands.

Zvex pedals are overrated because they are expensive. Most of them are pretty useful namely the octane III, SD2n1, wah probe...etc.

If only they were mass produced :-(

I agree with your opece with roland pedals though.

...que dos centimos :-)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline jackyboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
Ibanez DE7! for me, ang ganda ng tunog.  :-)
+1 :-D

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »
overrated: M.I. Audio Crunch Box (bitin sa mids, ayaw magcleanup sa guitar volume!)

underrated: Stock SD-1, Ibanez DE7

:)

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 08:50:45 AM »
overrated: n/a later na lang, wala pa ako maisip. :D

underrated: boss metal zone. if you know how to tweak it properly, it will surely reward you greatly. the EQ section is really strong.

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »

underrated: boss metal zone. if you know how to tweak it properly, it will surely reward you greatly. the EQ section is really strong.

mas underrated ang megadistortion..

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »
overrated pedals:
zvex fuzz factory - it has a lot of sounds but none that i have really found useable. it has a treble bite that gets annoying. (take note i used this with a tele with single coils)

underrated pedals:
old DOD pedals -- FX10 is an awesome clean booster, Phasor 201 and 490 are very nice, warm sounding phasors, Buzz Box and Punkifier are thick fuzz pedals.

Ibanez 10 series pedals -- basically 9 series pedals in a different casing. the TS10 is a nice "more transparent" overdrive, the FC10 is a great RAT clone. etc

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »

Yep i agree with you, I think boss pedals are underrated and now that boutique pedals are booming(I think) some leave their boss pedals behind. And IMO boss pedals are very well built and sound good, and they have a consistency when it comes to the sound of their pedals.

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
Overrated: (nakakatakot baka pasabugin ako ng mga diehard fanboys)

Underrated: Behringer Gdi (kasi plastic daw, madali masira, baka binabato saka tinatalunan) (sound: kasi behringer yung nakalagay na tatak)
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Overrated: (nakakatakot baka pasabugin ako ng mga diehard fanboys)

Underrated: Behringer Gdi (kasi plastic daw, madali masira, baka binabato saka tinatalunan) (sound: kasi behringer yung nakalagay na tatak)
oh sabihin na yung overrated na pedal..hehehe.. walang mananapak dito.. peace tayo lahat..

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 04:28:02 PM »

agree ako dito. underrated talaga ang mt2. with a good amp the pedal will sound good naman eh.  :-) it's all in the knobs talaga.  :-D

overrated: di ko alam.  :lol:

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
uy ok topic na to ah  :-D

Offline melody_guitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
well basic trouble na nakikita ko sa MT-2 is when you set your clean sound on you amp then okay na sayo tas pagtapak mo sa MT-2 eh ampanget na.. na hindi mo na matweak sa gusto  mo.. lalo na pag medyo bright as setting mo sa clean tone amp tas pagtapak mo sa mt-2 eh masyado na siyang manipis at matalas..

the MT-2 is good kung puro distorted talaga and tugtugan mo..but changing from clean then to MT-2. medyo mahirap lalo na pag di ka pa sanay..the MT-2 is a very good pedal sa rhyhtm playing for me,lalo na when using Power chords and single note riffs, pero sa solo, i prefer overdrives pa din..

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
overrated: Boss DS-1. overrated as a main-dirt-generating distortion pedal. fizzy, tinny mosquito tone.

underrated: Boss DS-1. underrated as a blast-your-semi-dirty-amp-into-gonzo-distortion overdriver. its got plenty of clean output and is one of the fattest ODs around with the distortion knob at zero, tone at 9:00 to 11:00, and the volume knob past 1:00.

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
Underrated(I think): The EXH metal muff, I've read a lot of bad reviews about this pedal. For me this is one of the most versatile pedals that I've used, and yeah i admit that with bad settings it's tonesucker but when you get the right adjustments for this baby then you're onto something.

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »
overrated- "my lips are sealed"  :-)got to try some of the stuff folks in other forums go gaga about. i wonder about all the fuss...

underrated- i agree that the old DOD stuff doesnt get much love. the DOD FX-17 volume wah is a poor mans vintage vox. kills the newer dunlops and voxes in the seep department when the internal trimmers are set right, though you may not get the same dirt coz its cleaner, and the bypass sucks tone. there are workarounds to treat those.

g2d pedals arent getting much love either. the custom overdrive killed my higher gain gas, never fails me in any scenario. the high filter tone control is something most pedals should have, the eq'ing becomes a no-brainer. its the only thing that has stood up to my higher gain fusiony needs coz its phat and clear with a very even/ round harmonic texture. i love it more than most of the tube amp od i've tried so far. cuts like a knife. a very fat knife.
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline samishellacool

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 07:58:43 PM »
overrated- "my lips are sealed"  :-)got to try some of the stuff folks in other forums go gaga about. i wonder about all the fuss...

underrated- i agree that the old DOD stuff doesnt get much love. the DOD FX-17 volume wah is a poor mans vintage vox. kills the newer dunlops and voxes in the seep department when the internal trimmers are set right, though you may not get the same dirt coz its cleaner, and the bypass sucks tone. there are workarounds to treat those.

g2d pedals arent getting much love either. the custom overdrive killed my higher gain gas, never fails me in any scenario. the high filter tone control is something most pedals should have, the eq'ing becomes a no-brainer. its the only thing that has stood up to my higher gain fusiony needs coz its phat and clear with a very even/ round harmonic texture. i love it more than most of the tube amp od i've tried so far. cuts like a knife. a very fat knife.

Spit it out!  :lol:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
Spit it out!  :lol:

hahahaha! no way!!!...

i choose life  :-D

i saw some folks have them on their boards here. But its different strokes for different folks, if it works for them then its all good  :-)
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline pinkybrief

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 10:31:42 PM »
hahahaha! no way!!!...

i choose life  :-D

i saw some folks have them on their boards here. But its different strokes for different folks, if it works for them then its all good  :-)

lol I choose life haha
Oo na, kayo na Diyos ng Philmusic

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
I'll start by giving one, the badmonkey IMO is so overrated from what I've heard from it

oh wow!... wala lang. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my badmonkey! great sound. great price. ah well.

Underrated: ...ummm, i don't see the Guyatone Digital Delay getting much love or talk here sa boards.  I have one on my board and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.  Really really nice delays from the little guy. :)

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »
nasa timpla lang yan... :-D

← ʍɐʎıɥ