hulika

Author Topic: The Right Amp  (Read 21425 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The Right Amp
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
Ooh. A Peavy Classic! I haven't heard or tried it live but i've heard those  15 watt types and i heard some punch even on the cleans, and boosting both highs and lows sounded metal on the OD channel. If the 8 incher is that powerful already, I guess the 12s would be alot better! I can't wait to try that C30. Thanks Sir Joric!

You're referring to the Classic 20 ata.  I am familiar with that 2xEL84 combo tone.  IMHO, yung C30 is in a different level or class by itself.  I'll stop talking.  Just try it.

Kung wala ka mahanap, you can try mine at my house in Fairview...  just so you know what the fuss is all about. 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
Ooh. A Peavy Classic! I haven't heard or tried it live but i've heard those  15 watt types and i heard some punch even on the cleans, and boosting both highs and lows sounded metal on the OD channel. If the 8 incher is that powerful already, I guess the 12s would be alot better! I can't wait to try that C30. Thanks Sir Joric!

The Roland JC Combos are good! But the only JCs I've tried were those 2X12's. I don't know if the smaller ones sound the same.

The Roland JC-77 is a 2X10 amp very nice sounding amp lots of headroom also since it has 70 watts per side ata... I Honestly like this better than the JC-120...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline Ripantnow

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »
so sino lamang, si fender o si marshall?  :wink:
Deals since 2007:
Zedane,simon_divitico,yahoo!,super slinky2x,deathby0226,kalel_23,obetski3x,Opay21,eneshi29,radiantsky, XFree,jazzlikeme2x,loowie2x,Rockstan4x,bananagrahamskyflakes3x,matamores,neiloid2x,smilelines,jetleebog,demise

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 02:36:14 AM »
so sino lamang, si fender o si marshall?  :wink:
eh si Roto amps.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 06:41:56 AM »
Skunky,

Wanna bet? You can use the Uberschall's clean channel for Jazz.  It is high headroom even if it ain't loud.

Ice,

Unfortunately, as of today, I cannot find a cheaper amp that is as VERSATILE and GOOD SOUNDING as the Herbert at the same time, not too mention back breaking.  But a lot of people, normal people who have used Classic 30s have said that the Herbert is worth the dough.  Surprisingly.  It sounds so good that I just plug straight without any effects at all.  Nothing can be more simple than that.  Quite a long time ago, some people were comparing a small Royal combo against the Herbert and saying that it produced as good a tone.  Now, I don't see anybody giving high praises to that japanese tube amp. 

The problem with 20 and 30 watters is that you lose your clean real fast and in any low wattage amp for that matter.  Also, low wattage amps cannot reproduce tight bass and sound one dimensional.  Some also lack punch and become chewy that you lose pick attack.

For your tight situation, what I suggest is that you find a one channel 50 watt tube combo (nonmaster volume preferred)  that does clean very well and just use a bunch of pedals to get your drive.  Save up and get one good real tube amp -- sorry for endorsing tube but I really think SS amps are grainy and harsh sounding even with moderate drive and their cleans just do not breathe enough or sound a bit clinical and that goes for Roland JC series -- sorry to all JC fans.  I would take my Vox AC30 bright channel at super low volume over the JC.  Do not force yourself to try to make do with budget models of the Major Brands.  And despite so much praise for the Peavey Classic, after a while, it does not have defined character.  Again sorry for dissing Peavey Classic fans.  Its just neither there or here for me.  My oldest amp a studio Mesa Boogie Studio 22 -- modified with a Celestion Heritage G12M cannot be beat by a classic 20 or classic 30 despite me wanting to own one of the Peavey Classic series which is a much much newer design. 

Buying gear and rolling them after a while is great at the start but rolling them one after another is the start of GAS.   It shows a lack of clarity of purpose and defined needs.  Today, this is how I do homework with amps -- 1) Save up money, 2) Call Ultrasound -- since they know my amps and my specific DEFINED needs and PURPOSE -- I get a recommendation from them, 3) Most of the time they will tell me that there is nothing worth buying given my amps. So, I do not buy.   They talked me out of buying a US$6,000 Mad Professor and a US$6,000 Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature which they carry.   

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »
Skunky,

Wanna bet? You can use the Uberschall's clean channel for Jazz.  It is high headroom even if it ain't loud.

Ice,

Unfortunately, as of today, I cannot find a cheaper amp that is as VERSATILE and GOOD SOUNDING as the Herbert at the same time, not too mention back breaking.  But a lot of people, normal people who have used Classic 30s have said that the Herbert is worth the dough.  Surprisingly.  It sounds so good that I just plug straight without any effects at all.  Nothing can be more simple than that.  Quite a long time ago, some people were comparing a small Royal combo against the Herbert and saying that it produced as good a tone.  Now, I don't see anybody giving high praises to that japanese tube amp. 

The problem with 20 and 30 watters is that you lose your clean real fast and in any low wattage amp for that matter.  Also, low wattage amps cannot reproduce tight bass and sound one dimensional.  Some also lack punch and become chewy that you lose pick attack.

For your tight situation, what I suggest is that you find a one channel 50 watt tube combo (nonmaster volume preferred)  that does clean very well and just use a bunch of pedals to get your drive.  Save up and get one good real tube amp -- sorry for endorsing tube but I really think SS amps are grainy and harsh sounding even with moderate drive and their cleans just do not breathe enough or sound a bit clinical and that goes for Roland JC series -- sorry to all JC fans.  I would take my Vox AC30 bright channel at super low volume over the JC.  Do not force yourself to try to make do with budget models of the Major Brands.  And despite so much praise for the Peavey Classic, after a while, it does not have defined character.  Again sorry for dissing Peavey Classic fans.  Its just neither there or here for me.  My oldest amp a studio Mesa Boogie Studio 22 -- modified with a Celestion Heritage G12M cannot be beat by a classic 20 or classic 30 despite me wanting to own one of the Peavey Classic series which is a much much newer design. 

Buying gear and rolling them after a while is great at the start but rolling them one after another is the start of GAS.   It shows a lack of clarity of purpose and defined needs.  Today, this is how I do homework with amps -- 1) Save up money, 2) Call Ultrasound -- since they know my amps and my specific DEFINED needs and PURPOSE -- I get a recommendation from them, 3) Most of the time they will tell me that there is nothing worth buying given my amps. So, I do not buy.   They talked me out of buying a US$6,000 Mad Professor and a US$6,000 Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature which they carry.  

Yeah say that to the millions of professional musicians that love the Jazz Chorus sound...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 07:56:09 AM »
Again sorry for dissing Peavey Classic fans

Buying gear and rolling them after a while is great at the start but rolling them one after another is the start of GAS.   It shows a lack of clarity of purpose and defined needs. 

Yan ang problema...  you like dissing people and their buying decisions instead of focusing on the gear.  Tsk tsk tsk... 

We katutubong orcs-cum-Peavey amp owners-slash-GAS sufferers bow at your feet, o supreme omniscient tone god!

:-D :-D :-D

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:07:46 AM by deltaslim »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 08:05:24 AM »
.......and a US$6,000 Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature which they carry.   

.... real men order DUMBLE amps.....   :evil:  Two rock is for "Boy Toys wannabe man"  :wink:

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 08:08:48 AM »
.... real men order DUMBLE amps.....   :evil:  Two rock is for "Boy Toys wannabe man"  :wink:

Yun nah nagalit na si Phil hehehe...

Mas type ko nga Dumble grabe tone ni Robben Ford eh....

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 10:14:06 AM »
Deltaslim,

Its just my opinion and experience so lighten up... Just because millions of musicians love JC does not mean I have to like it right? and that applies to your Peavey Classic 30.

For clarification, the last two statements was meant for you exclusively and not meant to apply to all Peavey Classic owning musicians.

By the way, since when did you become an amp expert?  Sabi mo its all in the hands.  Ano nangyari sa Trademark 60 mo?  Sa Univalve mo?  Sa Bassman mo dati?  Kaya to all forumites, next time you see Deltaslim play without his Classic 30, sigurado ako nagpa SOFTWARE upgrade ang mga daliri niya kasi siya lang ang alam kung gitarista sa buong mundo na may built-in amp emulator sa daliri.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 10:54:06 AM »
Sunog!

Despite the smileys, I say let's let the quotes below pass, for another thread:

Yan ang problema...  you like dissing people and their buying decisions instead of focusing on the gear.  Tsk tsk tsk... 

We katutubong orcs-cum-Peavey amp owners-slash-GAS sufferers bow at your feet, o supreme omniscient tone god!

:-D :-D :-D

For clarification, the last two statements was meant for you exclusively and not meant to apply to all Peavey Classic owning musicians.

By the way, since when did you become an amp expert?  Sabi mo its all in the hands.  Ano nangyari sa Trademark 60 mo?  Sa Univalve mo?  Sa Bassman mo dati?  Kaya to all forumites, next time you see Deltaslim play without his Classic 30, sigurado ako nagpa SOFTWARE upgrade ang mga daliri niya kasi siya lang ang alam kung gitarista sa buong mundo na may built-in amp emulator sa daliri.

OK?

(Why am I trying to pseudo-moderate? It's because I'm tired of reading posts that sound like children fighting. I've nothing to do at work, so I spend a lot of time in Philmusic, OK?)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 11:28:09 AM »
.... real men order DUMBLE amps.....   :evil:  Two rock is for "Boy Toys wannabe man:wink:

Hoooyyy... gusto ko magka-Two Rock... :-D  Naku, mahahalata na Backstreet Boys fan ako!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »
Hoooyyy... gusto ko magka-Two Rock... :-D  Naku, mahahalata na Backstreet Boys fan ako!
eto o ... $3K lang... tapos ang daming added features. ... okay to pang bedroom and as amp mo sa Church.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=283136
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:32:09 AM by Phil »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »
eto o ... $3K lang... tapos ang daming added features. ... okay to pang bedroom and as amp mo sa Church.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=283136

wow... looks very veratile.  have you tried this?  btw, how do you know kung ang amp eh okay pang bedroom volume?

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 11:49:35 AM »
Also, low wattage amps cannot reproduce tight bass and sound one dimensional.  Some also lack punch and become chewy that you lose pick attack.

Hola Mr. A

Not sure I agree with this.  I just got a /13 37 watter, and even at like a 4 volume setting, the bass is scary thumping and tight.  it doesn't get any louder though past 5/6, although that's when you get more of the breakup.  And even if I go half-power, it still rocks.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 11:58:37 AM »
Skunky,

Man I'm not saying your Uber sucks.  I just think I'd use it for an application other than Jazz (metal and polka don't you think?)  and maybe another amp might deliver much better for cleans.  Maybe your Rivera TBR-1 with lush reverb would do the job.  And for moi, ultraclean Jazz guitar does not only necessitate headroom...  I think you must get an amp that sounds inherently sweet. 

Offline namida

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
We all know that every amplifier has got their own flavors: fender amps have that bright tone, marshalls have that classic rock sound. I go to different small and medium sized venues at kung anong amp meron dun, yun ang ginagamit ko in which most are 30 to 65 watt amps.  And most of the time, I spend lotsa time just tweaking and tweaking just to get the tone that i want. I've used Marshalls and Fenders pero until now, I still haven't found the right amp for me. I just want to know if you experience the same or if you've found the right amplifier for your tonal flavors. If you do, anong amps yun at anong settings ang favorites nyo. Thanks!

As long as it has decent cleans and good volume that about it for me. If thats not the case then there really isn't much I can do but plug in and see what happens  :-D

Usually with SS marshalls, I can go almost flat on the eq and then just adjust the volume as I play. For SS fenders, I usually start with the treble on zero and just work my way up looking for the best spot for me. Peavey amps nowadays are easier to use.

Good cleans and volume. I seriously don't care for any other detail.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:45:06 PM by namida »
"Ano man ang iyong ginagawa sa iyong kapatid, ay siya ring ginagawa mo sa akin" --Yano

Home Recordings ->> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=480230  My Band ->>

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 12:39:16 PM »

Sunog!

Despite the smileys, I say let's let the quotes below pass, for another thread:

OK?

Good idea, but one which doesn't fly in oas' world.  If only he didn't have to keep bringing on these side-remarks and negative comments, directly or indirectly, at me. 

Let's put this in perspective:  Do you know of any other forumite who goes out of his way to diss another forumite about his tone, gear, choices/decisions, and playing?   I'm a semi-professional musician trying to make a name for myself and I think this guy has made it his life's mission to put me down.  This goes waaaay back, mind you.  What a pest.

If this is supposed to be the online home of pinoy musicians, bakit may naninira ng musician dito???  Why put down a fellow musician???  Oh wait, by his own definition, di siya musician... So what the hell is he up to???

(Why am I trying to pseudo-moderate? It's because I'm tired of reading posts that sound like children fighting. I've nothing to do at work, so I spend a lot of time in Philmusic, OK?)

I'm tired too...  sick and tired of his attitude, whining, and unprovoked mudslinging.  But I'm not going to take anything sitting down from this guy.  Internet bully, chicken naman pag totoong challenge.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:53:14 PM by deltaslim »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
wow... looks very veratile.  have you tried this?  btw, how do you know kung ang amp eh okay pang bedroom volume?
...because this amp is similar to my amp....it's a Dumble clone.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2007, 01:28:09 PM »
Skunky,

I am not saying that you are saying that the Uber sucks.  I am just saying its clean channel can also be used for jazz.  That's all.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
Deltaslim,

1) I don't have a score board footer which for some reason I don't understand why you maintain given that we only both agreed to one challenge and you are so sour grapes about me not accepting your other so called challenges.  So why did you accept the original challenge in the first place kung mayroon ka pala mga condition na hindi mo naman sinabi?
2) I have agreed with you on various points in the past. And you have disagreed with me freely with my points of view in the past.  So, thats cool.
3) I do not accept that I choose to single you out.  In fact, in the past I have fought so many people on this forum because I passionately stand for something that I believe in.
4) There are some points that you post that I simply cannot agree to because I personally believe they are wrong.
5) You are not my life's mission.
6) I have nothing to gain from this because I am not a "semi-professional musician trying to make a name for myself".  Since you claim to be a "semi-professional musician", please tell me what song you composed, so I can hear for myself and give an objective review.  I promise not to criticize equipment or tone.
7) What mud? Most of the time I just put together your self contradicting statements that come from your various posts in different threads.
8) When it comes to your musicianship, the only thing I have criticized is your equipment and your sometimes inconsiderate volume level.  Otherwise, I never criticized your note choice or playing style and was never too particular about it.  Even when you criticized yourself on stage "na maraming sabit", I never even noticed it to be that.
9) Even if I do not consider jam whoring strictly as musicianship, I still appreciate your need to be with everybody in their set list.  Though I have never heard a jam song ever becoming a hit or being hummed by people or even someone bestowing the JAM KING title on you, you still are cool to listen to.
10) Despite your name calling, I try to exert my maximum effort to answer you in a polite manner. 

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
Skunky,

I am not saying that you are saying that the Uber sucks.  I am just saying its clean channel can also be used for jazz.  That's all.

How would you know do you play Jazz?

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:08 PM »
How would you know do you play Jazz?

I like fusion more than jazz but I like hollow-bodies. 

Offline mrbrownstone

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2007, 09:55:53 PM »
for me bottom line is that it should have a lively power amp and the speakers breaks up nice

well at least for the tone im prefering :-D

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2007, 01:15:15 AM »
I like fusion more than jazz but I like hollow-bodies. 

I was asking Firemodel55