hulika

Author Topic: why do we really like ACOUSTIC ?....  (Read 3529 times)

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
why do we really like ACOUSTIC ?....
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:37:24 PM »
what is the reason people prefer acoustic versions of songs over the original? and most often covered by filipino artists? is it just to relax and unwind...if that was the case, some acoustic versions i really cant stand,and i prefer that it wasnt covered at all..how am i supposed to relax to that? this proves that sometimes you dont need a really big setup with all 3 instruments involved elec. guitar bass and drums
these days...just whip out an acoustic guitar and you'll be famous...ok,the point is its really difficult to arrange a song with the 3 main instruments of a band...i mean coordination timekeeping,mixing,tweaking especially if you wanna go really technical...and then when you finally record your song someone goes and covers it on an acoustic guitar all by herself/himself and becomes famous...leaving you with "wow we shoulda done that instead" some examples..

a few years ago may nagpa burn sakin...everlong by the foo fighters,nun binigay ko sa kanya yung cd naasar sya...sabi nya pare ayoko nito gusto ko yung acoustic! i said dude...that's freakin everlong by foo fighters whether you like it or not

2nd,i can imagine how hard lady gaga worked on poker face with the killer intro and chorus...how perfectly arranged it was, and then some guy covers it on an acoustic guitar with simple chords and gets played all over the radio..more than ladygaga

are we getting to the point where we really dont need a full band anymore? why dont we just acoustify the whole music scene...

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: why do we really like ACOUSTIC ?....
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
some random thoughts on the subject...

actually, the whole acoustic craze has died down a bit compared to the heyday of paolo santos, jimmy bondoc, et al.  circa 2002.  boy, that was a lousy time to be in a band back then.  drummers nearly were put out of business since everyone and his cousin was forming an acoustic band with one or two guitars and a beatbox. 

it is only mymp and/or juris that remains steadfast these days to carrying the acoustic torch.  syempre, may ibang mga acoustic performers ngayon pero hindi kasing-sikat ng mymp.  electric bands have thankfully made a comeback, though not in the way a lot of us have envisioned... (i.e. proliferation of pogi rock)

sa tingin ko hindi lang applicable sa atin...but a lot of people prefer acoustic versions because it strips music down to the roots, as i've heard one reviewer say.  what may be more applicable to us filipinos is our nature as a laid-back and very, VERY romantic culture as a stronger reason why a lot of us (though not me, personally, for the most part) prefer acoustic versions. 

...and we can blame david cook for popularizing the trend of pop songs gone acoustic.   :|  (not to mention the trend of boring, unoriginal male singers in their mid-20's armed with acoustic guitars winning American Idol.   :lol: )
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline benicio

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 03:24:18 AM »
dahil tagay na naman kapag may acoustic :D

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 08:26:34 AM »

ang dating kase sakin ng culture na to..is,syempre filipino its become part of our habit of modifying stuff to suit more to our taste....sure..everybody likes new music,but everybody likes waiting for the acoustic version too...thats why all these acoustic artists are coming out... thats why i thought,why dont they just make everything acoustic?

but then again... maybe it only works in our country..

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:11:36 AM »
Hindi naman magkakapareho ng Taste ang mga tao pagdating sa music.

Minsan masmaganda pag acoustic na, kasi maririnig mo ng masmalinaw yung kumakanta at mas masarap kasi pakinggan yung malinis na lead at smooth na guitar strumming. nakaka-relax talaga, lalo na kung yung listener e nakaka relate sa song.

At Mas gumaganda talaga kapag ang nag ACOUSTIC e yung mismong Artist/Band na may ari nung song. :wink:

Pero marami parin namang songs na pumapangit pag ginawan ng acoustic COVER ng mga balladeer or Pop artist, Especially pag heavy Songs. tapos yung rendition nila e masyadong PILIT at masyado nilang binago yung Tono.

yun nga point ko sir... they dont have to go through all the trouble of hiring a full band if the song is good enough played through acoustic guitars...as you said mas maganda inexpensive pa...

Offline jem_adriano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »
some random thoughts on the subject...

actually, the whole acoustic craze has died down a bit compared to the heyday of paolo santos, jimmy bondoc, et al.  circa 2002.  boy, that was a lousy time to be in a band back then.  drummers nearly were put out of business since everyone and his cousin was forming an acoustic band with one or two guitars and a beatbox. 

it is only mymp and/or juris that remains steadfast these days to carrying the acoustic torch.  syempre, may ibang mga acoustic performers ngayon pero hindi kasing-sikat ng mymp.  electric bands have thankfully made a comeback, though not in the way a lot of us have envisioned... (i.e. proliferation of pogi rock)

sa tingin ko hindi lang applicable sa atin...but a lot of people prefer acoustic versions because it strips music down to the roots, as i've heard one reviewer say.  what may be more applicable to us filipinos is our nature as a laid-back and very, VERY romantic culture as a stronger reason why a lot of us (though not me, personally, for the most part) prefer acoustic versions. 

...and we can blame david cook for popularizing the trend of pop songs gone acoustic.   :|  (not to mention the trend of boring, unoriginal male singers in their mid-20's armed with acoustic guitars winning American Idol.   :lol: )

sama mo narin si aiza seguerra for the popularity of acoustic music here

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
making acoustic versions of songs didn't start with our local artists.  most of them actually started with the original bands/artists themselves.  here are some examples:

1. Incubus & Maroon 5 - they made killer acoustic versions of their songs which no one thought possible considering the number of instruments used the original versions.
2.  John Mayer - i think he has an acoustic version of almost all of his songs.  in fact, he first gained recognition for his acoustic pop tunes.
3.  Craig David - rap music on acoustic. 

the thing here is, all of the songs they covered in acoustic are their own.  the only problem i'm seeing in our local artists is that they fail to make their own songs and "acoustify" them.  they are contented with covering foreign songs in acoustic.  i have to admit, some are better than the originals but some still are not.

culturally, Filipino ears are more tuned to love songs which are better interpreted in the raw and woody tone of an acoustic guitar.  nothing can deliver more honesty to the song than playing it in acoustic.

just my 2 cents on the topic.  :-)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline triple 6

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:40:54 AM »
mas nakikita mo yung simplicity tska yung raw emotions ng kanta

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
making acoustic versions of songs didn't start with our local artists.  most of them actually started with the original bands/artists themselves.  here are some examples:

1. Incubus & Maroon 5 - they made killer acoustic versions of their songs which no one thought possible considering the number of instruments used the original versions.
2.  John Mayer - i think he has an acoustic version of almost all of his songs.  in fact, he first gained recognition for his acoustic pop tunes.
3.  Craig David - rap music on acoustic. 

the thing here is, all of the songs they covered in acoustic are their own.  the only problem i'm seeing in our local artists is that they fail to make their own songs and "acoustify" them.  they are contented with covering foreign songs in acoustic.  i have to admit, some are better than the originals but some still are not.

culturally, Filipino ears are more tuned to love songs which are better interpreted in the raw and woody tone of an acoustic guitar.  nothing can deliver more honesty to the song than playing it in acoustic.

just my 2 cents on the topic.  :-)

Not to mention the UNPLUGGED rage in the 90's (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, STP et. al.). The problem arises when things get overdone. The scene becomes saturated. But eventually, the original fire will be gone (but riot inside will move on. LOL!). :)

To the TS, if we follow your drift (why not just ditch the band altogether and stick to 'acoustic') then can we apply that the other way around? Why not ditch the other instruments (and arrangements) and just to stick to bands? Better yet, why not ditch the other genres and just stick to one genre for the whole scene?

Diversity keeps the music scene alive, there may be a dominant genre but diversity is still there. There are demographics that love different arrangements/genre; Just let them be. :)

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:20:21 PM »
the thing with acoustic sobrang relaxing sya especially after work or just burning time...tapos pag narinig mo un mga rendition ng fave bands mo na ginawang acoustic un song nila it has that refreshing approach...pero sa pinas syempre puro covers ang ginagawa ng mga new acoustic artist I really dont know whether marunong ba sila o hindi magsulat ng kanta tsk tsk tsk

Offline nitroaurora

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:05 PM »
i wonder why Cynthia Alexander never got that big like those acoustic artists?  :?
Successful transactions with: Ryan Peralta, MarkV, Geloboy25, Teleclem, Tristan, Dhe (Dwelo_Axeman from PGT), Nickson, Jhule77, Robinissad, Zyehj, Roei03, Anyrandomhole, J3tayag, Samishellacool

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:30:24 PM »
kadalasan ganito sa acoustic:

- tipid sa renta ng gear/equipment ; tipid din sa oras sa pag-setup
- covers ng mga current mainstream hits ang jina-jam, na kadalasan ay love songs/ballads
- hindi ganung "masakit" sa pandinig (some people would like to chill out at magkuwentuhan eh)
- pwede kang mag-request ng kanta
- nagpapa-jam sila ng mga gustong kumanta from audience

pero hindi ibig sabihin na mawawala na ang full-band setup. :)

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:29:21 PM »
i wonder why Cynthia Alexander never got that big like those acoustic artists?  :?

because she writes and performs her own stuff.  because her lyrics are deeper than the usual sappy love songs preferred by our other acoustic artists...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline trxter41

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
soulful kasi ang acoustic eh. the unplugged version of Down in a Hole by Alice in Chains gives me goosebumps. haha

Offline ranzky72

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
When I sing acoustic songs my stressed will be release... :lol:
When I sing rock songs my weight will be release dami pawis eh... :-D
Para sa akin kasi ang acoustic masarap pag chicks’ ang audience
Pero masarap parin mag slam…rock n roll…\m/
Music adds years to your life, it is a source of inspiration, expression and stress relief.

Offline JJeep

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »
Depende sa artist, +Johnoy Danao and Noel Cabangon.

Anyway, remember the very first time that you've actually held that acoustic guitar and learned and played and played all night long? It is the same exact feeling that you'll get with acoustic tracks. It may sound new even if it's not. (At least for people who had an acoustic guitar as their first instrument). And whatever song that is, you just want to jam it.

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 04:34:00 AM »
I didn't like how Teeth's "Prinsesa" was acousticized

Offline Papapuzza

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 05:08:17 PM »
I didn't like how Teeth's "Prinsesa" was acousticized

Are you talking about the version of 6cyclemind? Because if you are, I also don't like how they bastardized the song.
Transacted With: BossingBoss, El_Sol, JoshNerez, Muffinman, Papotz, Rebiscoco, Saturn/Return, Spankyrigor, Teleclem, Weedman

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 04:30:36 AM »
The only time I appreciate accoustic music is if they're done Opeth style.