hulika

Author Topic: Ian Umali's sound/setup  (Read 27403 times)

Offline ianumali

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Ian Umali's sound/setup
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »
hello, maraming salamat sa compliments!
here's a list of the gear i've used (and still use), para di na kayo manghula :-D

- Greco ES335 jap-copy, semi-hollow, formerly sun-burst, now black. 1st electric guitar i've ever owned (1988, 2nd-hand, for php3,200!)

- Boss OD2 Turbo Overdrive, also bought back in '88, painted black para mag-match sa dating gawa-gawa na wooden pedalbox

- Ibanez WH10 wah pedal, in my opinion the best wah sound, but it was made of plastic and broke easily if you have a heavy foot like i do. naka-dalawa nako nun...

- JD Crybaby (pots get dirty & noisy after a while, kaya di ko na ginagamit)
- Ibanez WD7 weeping demon (recently acquired) pwede na rin!

that's my basic set-up for playing live, although at one point i used to also have a Boss Chorus Ensemble for clean parts. my amp of choice is the Fender Twin Reverb (can't afford), and Peavey amps. for some reason my guitar/gear setup does not agree with Marshalls, so i avoid using them.

for the (p.o.t) album, all the clean parts were recorded through a (rented) Fender Twin, the distorted parts i got with a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier amp, rekta, no other effects, lots of gain!
the acoustic guitar parts were courtesy of (i'm pretty sure) Bopip Paraguya's 12-string Martin.

nowadays when i do studio work, i use a Digitech RP12 (same one i used for the "mga gitarista" album launch, and only because the song needed it).

yun lang, maraming salamat uli, mabuhay kayong lahat!  :lol:

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
here's a list of the gear i've used (and still use), para di na kayo manghula :-D

- Greco ES335 jap-copy, semi-hollow, formerly sun-burst, now black. 1st electric guitar i've ever owned (1988, 2nd-hand, for php3,200!)

- Boss OD2 Turbo Overdrive, also bought back in '88, painted black para mag-match sa dating gawa-gawa na wooden pedalbox

- Ibanez WH10 wah pedal, in my opinion the best wah sound, but it was made of plastic and broke easily if you have a heavy foot like i do. naka-dalawa nako nun...

that's my basic set-up for playing live, although at one point i used to also have a Boss Chorus Ensemble for clean parts. my amp of choice is the Fender Twin Reverb (can't afford), and Peavey amps. for some reason my guitar/gear setup does not agree with Marshalls, so i avoid using them.

for the (p.o.t) album, all the clean parts were recorded through a (rented) Fender Twin, the distorted parts i got with a Mesa-Boogie Dual Rectifier amp, rekta, no other effects, lots of gain!
the acoustic guitar parts were courtesy of (i'm pretty sure) Bopip Paraguya's 12-string Martin.

nowadays when i do studio work, i use a Digitech RP12 (same one i used for the "mga gitarista" album launch, and only because the song needed it).

ayos ayos.  Mabuhay din kayo sir.  The first time I ever saw you play was at Kalye bar back in 1993 I think.  it was a week before Metallica played in Manila and you were covering for Razorback because they were rehearsing or something for the Metallica gig.  You were using the same guitar then and I found it amazing that for that guitar, you were doing awesome Metallica covers with you on vocals.  I can't really remember the name of your band but I remember rocking to it.  I was only 13 then kaya marinig lang yung Metallica(kahit covers) live, ayos na. 

Astig.  Good to know you're still around.  I'm a fan of your work.  Last time I saw you play was with Indio-I then Wunjo shortly after that at Xaymaca.

You rock buddy!
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2008, 09:16:53 AM »

ei idol,

tnx for all the info...

kita tayo minsan sa digi....x!!! hehehhe

hope to here more tips from you!!!!

To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline greatwolf

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2008, 10:46:05 AM »

I saw you playing this on RJTV, 10 years ago I think. You were being interviewed and you were showing some pentatonic scales.

Offline ianumali

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »
demet, those were the days! hehehe i'm planning to upload some old videos of that band ('leper messiah", obvious na adik sa metallica no?) on youtube as soon as i edit them. back then i used the same 0d2 turbo overdrive pedal, but with a boss parametric EQ to cut-out the mids and boost the lows (para medyo ma-approximate yung sound ni hetfield, even with smaller amps). masaya rin talaga yung panahon na yon...

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
wow! hirap na hirap akong linisin ng mga songs nyo sir...
i can do the rhythm part pero sa lead parts hirap... try to improvise na lang...
pero ang laki ng tulong para mag improve ung skill as a guitarist through your riffs hehe

saka matagal ko ng pinag iisipan kung ano setup nyo... wow talaga...  :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 01:03:55 PM »
demet, those were the days! hehehe i'm planning to upload some old videos of that band ('leper messiah", obvious na adik sa metallica no?) on youtube as soon as i edit them. back then i used the same 0d2 turbo overdrive pedal, but with a boss parametric EQ to cut-out the mids and boost the lows (para medyo ma-approximate yung sound ni hetfield, even with smaller amps). masaya rin talaga yung panahon na yon...

Ser!  Welcome to Philmusic Guitar Central where grown men argue about guitars! 

BTW, by any chance, do you use your Dad's vintage pre-CBS Strat?

Offline supernaut

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 01:08:57 PM »
Wow!nagreply si idol. as the thread starter, i'm so glad. sana sir ian you could share more about you, your skill, technique, sounds, anything :-D Thanks for the music, especially the music of POT!  :mrgreen:
PISINGYAMINUNAMUNAN....

Offline BossingBoss

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2008, 04:06:51 PM »
ey sir ian!

me like your riffs very much! back in '97 - '98 puro POT songs ang cover namin...

especially FISHCAKE and MONKEY ON MY BACK!

kahit ngayon jam pa din namin yun!

super simple lang pala ng set up mo! astig!

sana mag reunion kayo at tumugtog ulit ng mga songs nyo or gawa kayo new album, i'm sure hit nanaman yun!  :-)

ayos idol! God bless sir ian!
Marshall JCM900 50W Amp, Gibson SG Special Faded Cherry, Hamer SATF, Boss PH-1r, SD-2, TU-2, Dunlop DC-Brick

Offline jackyboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
can't wait to see the vids. it just brings back memories. :roll:

Offline ianz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
AWLRAYT! Welcome to Philmusic Mr.Umali! :)
"im your hoochie coochie dodong!!!"

--D.D.S  Represent--

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2008, 07:36:55 PM »
Panalo nagpost si idol!!!!

i have so much to say about POT as a whole, Wunjo and your playing pero to avoid writing a long post and sounding like a super fan, I'll just say, You rock! You've inspired a lot of us for sure and it's just great you've graced us with your reply to this thread. naks!

:-D

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2008, 07:46:48 PM »
im a POT fan, actually even before they formed POT, from several different bands, yun nga leper messiah, advent call, and when harley was still playing for dead ends.
ive a question on one song.. baket halos pareho ang Million miles ni keziah Jones at yung Ulitin ng POT? @sir ian, did you guys ever listen to keziah? or prolly just a coincidence (maybe you guys and keziah have common heroes and inspiration) ?
Thanks!

million miles - keziah jones

Lupet nung POT reunion sa 70s Bistro couple years back when Harley was here, That was very tight gig, kahit na mejo nwawala na ni Karl yung lyrics hehe

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2008, 08:36:46 PM »
im a POT fan, actually even before they formed POT, from several different bands, yun nga leper messiah, advent call, and when harley was still playing for dead ends.
ive a question on one song.. baket halos pareho ang Million miles ni keziah Jones at yung Ulitin ng POT? @sir ian, did you guys ever listen to keziah? or prolly just a coincidence (maybe you guys and keziah have common heroes and inspiration) ?
Thanks!

million miles - keziah jones

Lupet nung POT reunion sa 70s Bistro couple years back when Harley was here, That was very tight gig, kahit na mejo nwawala na ni Karl yung lyrics hehe

onga no? galeng ah. pero mas ok yung sa POT hehe baka nagkataon lang or maybe influence perhaps? I remember there's one part in the album that was also RHCPish hehe

Offline ianumali

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2008, 09:31:53 PM »
hello, salamat sa warm welcome  :lol:
tagal ko na hindi nakasali sa forum...

skunkyfunk, how do you know about my dad's guitar? anyways, it's a '62 (or '63?) stratocaster na sunburst dati, but he had it painted red kasi idol niya si hank marvin ng the shadows! and, yes i have used it a few times, mostly for recording my personal stuff. may binabagayan lang talaga yung single-coil sound nun...

(and feeling ko panis playing ko pag hindi si #1 ang gamit ko) :wink:

mahavishnu, oo pre, huli mo! pinagkunan nga ng "inspiration" yung keziah... hehehe
actually si mally ang nag simula nung main chords 'tas best effort nalang para bali-baliin! maskina nga riff ng "don't blink" inspired sa riff ng "intellectualize my blackness" by skunkanansie...

this might be the wrong forum for it, but i've uploaded two 1997 performances of "yugyugan na", orig pa kulay ng #1 ko! (nagsisisi ako)
please check out my channel, there are links to other uploaded vids like the myx broadcast and our rehearsal for "final decision".
pasensya na ha, medyo shameless plug, pero i figure mae-enjoy niyo rin!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ianumali

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »

skunkyfunk, how do you know about my dad's guitar? anyways, it's a '62 (or '63?) stratocaster na sunburst dati, but he had it painted red kasi idol niya si hank marvin ng the shadows! and, yes i have used it a few times, mostly for recording my personal stuff. may binabagayan lang talaga yung single-coil sound nun...

mahavishnu, oo pre, huli mo! pinagkunan nga ng "inspiration" yung keziah... hehehe
actually si mally ang nag simula nung main chords 'tas best effort nalang para bali-baliin! maskina nga riff ng "don't blink" inspired sa riff ng "intellectualize my blackness" by skunkanansie...

this might be the wrong forum for it, but i've uploaded two 1997 performances of "yugyugan na", orig pa kulay ng #1 ko! (nagsisisi ako)
please check out my channel, there are links to other uploaded vids like the myx broadcast and our rehearsal for "final decision".
pasensya na ha, medyo shameless plug, pero i figure mae-enjoy niyo rin!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ianumali

ayuz. bro!!! salamat sa share. Since you're on the thread na, ano na pinagkakaabalahan mo ngayon?  :-)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »

Astig!  Sir I found out kasi medyo acquaintance ko si utol mo, si Allen.

May isa pa akong tanong... Mahilig rin ba kayo sa 24/7 Spyz?  Soul Metal!  Very huge influence sa composition and arrangements niyo...

Offline ianumali

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:02 PM »
ayuz. bro!!! salamat sa share. Since you're on the thread na, ano na pinagkakaabalahan mo ngayon?  :-)

i've been working as a sound engineer / music arranger for digitrax, an audio post-production house in makati, may 3 years na ata... medyo pahinga muna sa pagbabanda, wala na akong pahinga pag kasabay ng work-sked ko. i've also re-visited an old hobby of mine, since before learning how to play guitar - remote-controlled cars! may pagka-adik ako dito, as you will see in my video posts. pero siyempre kelangan original scoring ang music ko sa kanila! if you get a chance to watch them, that's partly what i do at work  :-D

the heavy guitars are all products of my digitech RP12 & a Peavey Express 112, miked with an SM57. i just tweaked the factory presets to get the sound i wanted. (o diba? bumalik pa tayo sa original topic!)

Offline ianumali

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2008, 10:06:33 PM »
Astig!  Sir I found out kasi medyo acquaintance ko si utol mo, si Allen.

May isa pa akong tanong... Mahilig rin ba kayo sa 24/7 Spyz?  Soul Metal!  Very huge influence sa composition and arrangements niyo...

alam ko may napakinig si mally sa amin dati nung nag uumpisa palang kami, pero ni hindi ako nagkaroon ng kopya. damay na siguro sa individual influences namin  :-D

Offline boy_noel

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2008, 11:29:30 PM »
ayun o! idol! :-D

sir ian welcome po sa philmusic! sana magpost kau parati ng tips dito sigurado marmi kami matututunan senyo..

by the way,ako nga po pala ung nagtanong sayo nung launch ng mga gitarista album, ( ...solo album..?). Ayun, mganda kasi ung piece nyo sa album, Final Decision.. Ano pala mga pinapakinggan nyo na mga banda to get that jazz-funk sound?

salamat!!!
rock & funk!!!

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
Cool videos/songs.  I never knew about "POT" when I was there, but did get a chance to have Karl sing for our band many moons ago.  He's a funny and nutty character... quite a contrast to his brothers.

Offline dukz

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2008, 06:11:29 AM »
Walang kakupas-kupas si Idol... ganda ng Final Decision... makapunta nga mamaya sa Tower Records.  :-D

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
sir ian totoo bang madaling magsawa sa tugtugan si harley alarcon? parang gusto niya paiba iba?

Offline stat!c

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
Well, sir Ian, salamat for introducing me to the true grooveness and greatness of funk...dami ko sana gusto itanong before, kaso almost answered na lahat sa tread na to. And right now, isa lang ang masasabi ko...

I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.
I'm not worthy.

Hope to hear more music from you...

:-)

Offline supernaut

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
Sir Ian, pano ka nahumaling or nainfluence sa jazz? nung naguumpisa ka po ba jazz na talaga leanings mo? :-) how about funk?
PISINGYAMINUNAMUNAN....