hulika

Author Topic: Xotic Effects Thread  (Read 16364 times)

Offline fujisai

Xotic Effects Thread
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
Not sure if there's already a thread dedicated to this but, here goes..

Bought a 2nd hand BB Preamp a couple of years ago and been a fan of their products ever since. Now I'm using an AC+ for added versatility, and an EP booster as well. I really love the fact that they are not picky when it comes to amps.

Kayo guys what are your experiences with them? Share yours!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:25:00 PM by fujisai »
Yaz

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Xotic Effects Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:14 PM »
I have both, BB Preamp and RC Booster.

I love them both! It's my 2nd time owning a BB Preamp. My first one was a clone, then an Andy Timmons sig BB Preamp #449 which was said to be more compressed.

I like the regular BB Preamp more. Thick sounding, EQ is very responsive to subtle changes and it cleans up really well. I use it as a stand-alone OD. I'll always be a fan of this pedal.

The RC Booster is somewhat like an "always on" pedal for me as it adds just enough grit and soil on a clean signal while still retaining clarity, chime, and sparkle. Paired with the BB Preamp, both are even more glorifying. Drive tone just thickens really well.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:22:46 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »
^ naunahan mo ko sa rc booster na yan!  :cute:

i had the regular bb preamp before, gigged with it for a couple of times and eventually traded it for something else coz i have now the bb plus which is more versatile. i really do appreciate this pedal for low gain application, from almost clean jazz to gritty blues. but engaged both channel and you'll get that massive lead tone. and right now it's up for grab.  :eek: 

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
^ naunahan mo ko sa rc booster na yan!  :cute:

i had the regular bb preamp before, gigged with it for a couple of times and eventually traded it for something else coz i have now the bb plus which is more versatile. i really do appreciate this pedal for low gain application, from almost clean jazz to gritty blues. but engaged both channel and you'll get that massive lead tone. and right now it's up for grab.  :eek:

Marami pang lumabas na RC Booster, Girome. Mas mint pa kesa dito.  :-)

Maganda talaga siyang clean booster. May konting EQ.

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:23:14 PM »
Marami pang lumabas na RC Booster, Girome. Mas mint pa kesa dito.  :-)

Maganda talaga siyang clean booster. May konting EQ.

yup, kaso nung time lang na yun ako may extra para sa rc booster. ilang beses nako dumadaan ng lazer para i-try ang pureboost ng mooer, lagi namang wala yung pedal. gamit ko ngayong clean boost, barber gain changer.

Offline fujisai

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
I have both, BB Preamp and RC Booster.

I love them both! It's my 2nd time owning a BB Preamp. My first one was a clone, then an Andy Timmons sig BB Preamp which was said to be more compressed.

I like the regular BB Preamp more. Thick sounding, EQ is very responsive to subtle changes and it cleans up really well. I use it as a stand-alone OD. I'll always be a fan of this pedal.

The RC Booster is somewhat like an "always on" pedal for me as it adds just enough grit and soil on a clean signal while still retaining clarity, chime, and sparkle. Paired with the BB Preamp, both are even more glorifying. Drive tone just thickens really well.

Just curious, where do you place the RC? In front or after the BB? I usually have my EP always on as well, especially if I'm really unlucky to be paired with a crappy solid state amp in a bar gig.
Yaz

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
Just curious, where do you place the RC? In front or after the BB? I usually have my EP always on as well, especially if I'm really unlucky to be paired with a crappy solid state amp in a bar gig.

I place it before the BB.. sort of a gain booster that thickens the sound.. I tried placing it in front but it acted as a volume booster, which I didn't really need, since the BB was cutting through just fine.

Offline fujisai

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:08 PM »
Seems like Xotic is making their own version of the Superlead pedal.
Yaz

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
Seems like Xotic is making their own version of the Superlead pedal.

Awesome! Would be a mighty fine contender of the Catalinbread DLS MKII for SL and SB tones.  :-)

Offline fujisai

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »
Yeah, and at 155usd it's a bit cheaper too! http://www.xotic.us/effects/sl_drive/
Yaz

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 09:44:17 PM »
Yeah, and at 155usd it's a bit cheaper too! http://www.xotic.us/effects/sl_drive/

If I didn't have my Super Crunchbox, I'd be butt-tempted to get that SL...then I'd have an Xotic board.  :lol:

Offline fujisai

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Here's the SL in Super Bass mode:
Yaz

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »
Board pic update.. BB Preamp going to amps front input.. RC Booster goes to the effects loop.. I'm using my amp's drive, but I'm really tempted to get an SL Drive..  :eek:

Offline qwi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:12 PM »
AC booster owner here, always on my board since the day i bought
for sale jim dunlop univibe & Epi chet atkins
also available PIO caps 22nf & 47nf @150pesos

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 01:47:25 AM »
http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413

We'd like to welcome Marco "El Roboto" de Leon (Philippines) to the Xotic effects family! -- by Xotic Guitars 

may pinoy pala endorser ng xotic

nice, gigged with them last night i think he was using 3 exotic boost pedals in his board
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:53:41 PM by bugoy »

Offline p2ltronilogd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »
Just gonna ask where can I purchase an RC Booster around here and estimated cost?
Been looking for that pedal to boost my tone when doing solos but would leave it off for Rhythms. (I play metal btw)

Offline gyrome

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Just gonna ask where can I purchase an RC Booster around here and estimated cost?
Been looking for that pedal to boost my tone when doing solos but would leave it off for Rhythms. (I play metal btw)

meron sa classifieds. P5,500 lang yata.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
meron sa classifieds. P5,500 lang yata.

May binebenta si marco (Mahineman) na RC Booster, 5k lang... mint daw.  :-D

Offline Mahineman

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413

We'd like to welcome Marco "El Roboto" de Leon (Philippines) to the Xotic effects family! -- by Xotic Guitars 

may pinoy pala endorser ng xotic

nice, gigged with them last night i think he was using 3 exotic boost pedals in his board
Thanks for posting this :) Anyway, we're working getting Xotic effects here in the Philippines. I can show them this thread so they know that they have a good market here.

XOTIC EFFECTS RULE! Love all my pedals especially the AC Booster and EP Booster :)

They also have a new brand called EWS Japan and Raw Vintage pickups (I have these installed on mg Gibson SG and Rj Lespaul)

Check out their websites:

http://ews-us.com/
http://www.rawvintage.com/eng/item_pickups.php
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline fujisai

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
Board pic update.. BB Preamp going to amps front input.. RC Booster goes to the effects loop.. I'm using my amp's drive, but I'm really tempted to get an SL Drive..  :eek:

Nice Board! I'm gassing for an SL as well, but I really wish I could A/B it first with a Catalinbread DLS mkIII.  :-(

Thanks for posting this :) Anyway, we're working getting Xotic effects here in the Philippines. I can show them this thread so they know that they have a good market here.

XOTIC EFFECTS RULE! Love all my pedals especially the AC Booster and EP Booster :)

They also have a new brand called EWS Japan and Raw Vintage pickups (I have these installed on mg Gibson SG and Rj Lespaul)

Check out their websites:

http://ews-us.com/
http://www.rawvintage.com/eng/item_pickups.php

I have the fuzzy drive and arion mod from ews as well. As for Raw Vintage I have their springs and saddles on my strat. For a simple mod it really makes a big difference.  :)

anyway here's a shot of my board:

Yaz

Offline tongski_02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »

124usd lang ang bentahan ng SL drive and they are running out fast.
wala pa lumalabas na reviews at demos from individual owners.
pero mukhang maganda tone base sa demo ng prymaxe at guitarplayer.
am digging the superbass tone....superlead not do much

mine's supposed to arrive this week pero di dumating.
lumanog > denio ds > hanabishi karaoke + hanabishi electric fan

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 07:32:26 AM »
Nice Board! I'm gassing for an SL as well, but I really wish I could A/B it first with a Catalinbread DLS mkIII.  :-(

I have the fuzzy drive and arion mod from ews as well. As for Raw Vintage I have their springs and saddles on my strat. For a simple mod it really makes a big difference.  :)

Grabe ang dami mo napagkasy sa mini bro.  :wave:

Mismo din yung DLS MK III. Consistent ng tunog sa youtube. Di ko lang trip sa Xotic yung pagiging "mini" ng pedals, parang mas gusto ko pa rin yung regular sized.. Pero tumatawag sakin ang SL Drive.. haha..

124usd lang ang bentahan ng SL drive and they are running out fast.
wala pa lumalabas na reviews at demos from individual owners.
pero mukhang maganda tone base sa demo ng prymaxe at guitarplayer.
am digging the superbass tone....superlead not do much
mine's supposed to arrive this week pero di dumating.

Uy may parating ka pala? Review pagkakuha mo bro..  :-) bitin naman yung 2 clips niya sa youtube..  :-(

Offline tongski_02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 07:39:56 AM »
oo. nakaka frustrate maghintay lalo na i bought 2 (one for edgie) and we paid extra for a supposedly 3-5 day shipping tapos hinde nadeliver.

the pedal seems interesting for a few good reasons:
1. liit foot print
2. super lead/super basss is a good to e reference
lalo na sa classic rock (hopefully it will cover j.page and p.koddof tones)
3. at higit sa lahat mura!!! dahil kuripot ako

i compare ko sya kung talagang kuha nya super bass territories.
lumanog > denio ds > hanabishi karaoke + hanabishi electric fan

Offline Mahineman

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »

Nice! I also have a Fuzzy drive from EWS. They also gave me a Brute Drive and little Brute which sound really good especially if pared with an RC or AC Booster. Thanks for sharing this :)
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline fujisai

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 11:54:28 PM »
Nice! I also have a Fuzzy drive from EWS. They also gave me a Brute Drive and little Brute which sound really good especially if pared with an RC or AC Booster. Thanks for sharing this :)

Thanks! I'd like to try the BD sometime, looks like it's a good stand alone od with it's dedicated boost switch.  :)
Yaz