hulika

Author Topic: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)  (Read 221163 times)

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Let's talk SG! (aka The SG Club)
« Reply #875 on: March 28, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
Yeah that's true.  I think acquired taste ang SG.  I love SGs, pero I'd take a PRS anytime over an SG  :drool: 

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #876 on: April 02, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »

Tweedy SG

just like Wayne Sermon`s Jeff Tweedy SG on Imagine Dragons

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:12:12 PM by dirtybluesplayer »
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #877 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
mga sirs! long time no post, last post ko 2007 pa hihi  :-D anyway, tanong ko lang to all SG users here, do you experience any choking in sustain specially sa upper frets? my SG Standard does not sustain that much (about 3 seconds max) & I'm a bit worried I got a dud. Upgraded the pickups to bkp riff raff, gutted-out the pcb circuit & soldered the traditional way, changed the pots to bkp 550k. checked the pickup heights, wala pa din. any thoughts? thanks!  ^-^

Offline mandoytz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #878 on: April 03, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
saw this cool jeff tweedy sg transformation @ everythingsg.com  :)

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #879 on: April 10, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »
sarap ng thwang ng sg!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
mga sirs! long time no post, last post ko 2007 pa hihi  :-D anyway, tanong ko lang to all SG users here, do you experience any choking in sustain specially sa upper frets? my SG Standard does not sustain that much (about 3 seconds max) & I'm a bit worried I got a dud. Upgraded the pickups to bkp riff raff, gutted-out the pcb circuit & soldered the traditional way, changed the pots to bkp 550k. checked the pickup heights, wala pa din. any thoughts? thanks!  ^-^
pansin ko around the 11th to 14th frets on the G string usually meron note that doesn't sustain like the rest of the neck. like the note fades from the fundamental tone and into the 2nd or 3rd hamonic too fast.

it makes for nice screaming leads but when you want it to sing and don't use too much gain, it sounds like the guitar just choked.

and it's there on all the SG's I've had. try nyo it rings out so differently from the rest of the neck that its hard to miss.

Offline cryingfreeman

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #881 on: April 11, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
pansin ko around the 11th to 14th frets on the G string usually meron note that doesn't sustain like the rest of the neck. like the note fades from the fundamental tone and into the 2nd or 3rd hamonic too fast.

it makes for nice screaming leads but when you want it to sing and don't use too much gain, it sounds like the guitar just choked.

and it's there on all the SG's I've had. try nyo it rings out so differently from the rest of the neck that its hard to miss.

So this is inherent pala talaga sa mga SG  :-( At least I know I have higher chances I didnt get a dud  :-) I almost pulled the trigger on the faber kit, buti na lang hehe..  Ive read about decking the tailpiece + top wrapping which would "supposedly" improve the sustain but it's highly subjective & debatable. I haven't tried it yet though but may explore it on the next string change.

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #882 on: April 11, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »
So this is inherent pala talaga sa mga SG  :-( At least I know I have higher chances I didnt get a dud  :-) I almost pulled the trigger on the faber kit, buti na lang hehe..  Ive read about decking the tailpiece + top wrapping which would "supposedly" improve the sustain but it's highly subjective & debatable. I haven't tried it yet though but may explore it on the next string change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgzwOt-GJc i dunno if it really increases sustain, but i believe that it helps to ring the notes more because of how it connects through the tailpiece

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #883 on: April 13, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
mine

Offline strat62

« Reply #884 on: April 13, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
My Custom Shop Gibson SG '62 Guitar Center Build.. With Timbuckers.

Iphone5 cams suck at low light.  Samsung does a better job. lol

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #885 on: April 13, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »
ganda talaga ng small guard SG.

nitpicking: kelan ba officially naging "SG Standard" instead of "Les Paul"?

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #886 on: April 14, 2013, 10:17:59 PM »
mine

Wow!  Nice!!  Depends ba sa suot mo yung criteria alin tutugtugin mo between the two? hehe

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #887 on: April 15, 2013, 12:57:16 AM »
Wow!  Nice!!  Depends ba sa suot mo yung criteria alin tutugtugin mo between the two? hehe
yes. :lol:

the black one has the sd unpotted 59 set. for hard rock and shirt and jeans gigs. the red has the sd antiquity set. for blues and black suit and tie affairs. :lol:

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #888 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »

the black one has the sd unpotted 59 set. for hard rock and shirt and jeans gigs. the red has the sd antiquity set. for blues and black suit and tie affairs. :lol:
May kulang sir.....

Yung white?

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #889 on: April 15, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Haha, tomoh!  How is the unpotted 59 and SD antiquity different on those SGs? 

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #890 on: April 15, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »
nothing special. share ko lang. :D hehe.
nabbother kasi talaga ako sa neck dive. ayoko kasi ng strap na kumakapit sa damit.. :D

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:26:06 PM by jannten »

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #891 on: April 15, 2013, 11:30:20 PM »
May kulang sir...
Yung white?
dont have one anymore. sold it (yung 3 pickup epi custom) the morning ondoy hit manila. hinihintay ko pang may mag donate ulit though mas gusto ko yung pelham blue tweedy

Haha, tomoh!  How is the unpotted 59 and SD antiquity different on those SGs?
mas biting and aggressive yung '59. yung notes have a more immediate attack. yung antiquity have more mids and a rounder top end. i might try the dimarzio 36th anniv PAF set on one of them. just not sure which kasi i like what i'm hearing already.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #892 on: April 16, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
dont have one anymore. sold it (yung 3 pickup epi custom) the morning ondoy hit manila. hinihintay ko pang may mag donate ulit though mas gusto ko yung pelham blue tweedy
mas biting and aggressive yung '59. yung notes have a more immediate attack. yung antiquity have more mids and a rounder top end. i might try the dimarzio 36th anniv PAF set on one of them. just not sure which kasi i like what i'm hearing already.

What I noticed is that mas may headroom ang dimarzio and mas in your face ang tone vs. SD.  SD is more compressed and brilliant.  this was my impression when I've tried SD 59 and 36th PAF.  Try mo yung 36th PAF dito (Bridge) and SD59 (neck) pag kuha ng classic 20 :-)

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #893 on: April 16, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »
nothing special. share ko lang. :D hehe.
nabbother kasi talaga ako sa neck dive. ayoko kasi ng strap na kumakapit sa damit.. :D

ito ba yung rj sentinel? ganda ng shape ah.
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline jeibi16

« Reply #894 on: April 18, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
masters, I'm not sure kung may topic na about this pero I'd take the risk on asking it again.

Would you prefer the modern wiring over 50's vintage wiring (vice versa)? Why? What are the pros and cons for each type of wiring? Thanks!  :wave:
....\m/....

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #895 on: April 18, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »
masters, I'm not sure kung may topic na about this pero I'd take the risk on asking it again.

Would you prefer the modern wiring over 50's vintage wiring (vice versa)? Why? What are the pros and cons for each type of wiring? Thanks!  :wave:

oist jeibi.. nasa les paul and gibson forum ang kasagutan dyan.. he he

Modern Wiring: rolling back the volume results in loss of high frequencies - thus the need for treble bleed mod (unless you like the tone roll-off)

50's Wiring: rolling back the volume retains the high frequencies so you don't need a treble bleed. rolling back the tone will affect the overall volume though
doh!!!

Offline jeibi16

« Reply #896 on: April 18, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »

Modern Wiring: rolling back the volume results in loss of high frequencies - thus the need for treble bleed mod (unless you like the tone roll-off)

50's Wiring: rolling back the volume retains the high frequencies so you don't need a treble bleed. rolling back the tone will affect the overall volume though

ayus! eh di nasa "Let's talk SG!" na din ang sagot :P salamat meng!
....\m/....

Offline jeibi16

« Reply #897 on: April 18, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »

rye, read an article way back that treble bleeds are better on SCs and not too much on HUMBEEs  :|.. what're your thoughts about it? have you done this kind of mod before?
....\m/....

Offline leonard

• formerly known as "leonard8488"
  • Forum Fanatic
« Reply #898 on: April 18, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »
GAS  :drool:

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #899 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »
rye, read an article way back that treble bleeds are better on SCs and not too much on HUMBEEs  :|.. what're your thoughts about it? have you done this kind of mod before?

medyo OT na.. dito na lang pag usapan yung treble bleed >> http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=238765.50
doh!!!