hulika

Author Topic: pointers for the songwriter.  (Read 5726 times)

Offline ang hari ng metal

pointers for the songwriter.
« on: January 22, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »
hey im relatively new here , and i guess intrested talaga ako sa song writing.
pinapakinggan ko yung mga halos contemporary pero nagiging classic na, syempre sina jeff buckley, maynard james keenan, tori amos, tracy chapman, *ehem* billy corgan *ehem*,jewell, chris cornell etc.

at yung mga classics tulad ni hendrix, neil young, beatles, nina simone, led zepplin atbp.

medyo nakakasawa na kasi yung mga sinasabi ng mga emo ngayon, tungkol sa love hate and relationships. ihave nothing against them, pero it just sucks to see them creating a set of three chords and screeming like hell.

hell,anyone can do that.

so just help me out, and others out there aspiring to write, to quote Tenacious D " THE GREATEST SONG IN THE WORLD!"

salamatski!
Call me now its alright
Its just the end of the world
You need a friend in the world cause you cant hide So call and Ill get right back If your intentions are pure Im seeking a friend for the end of the world

Offline Jem-Jr.™

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: pointers for the songwriter.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:31:46 PM »
rexsteady!!
EBMM 2014 JPXIII-7 - Mesa Boogie Mark IVa - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Horizontal Cabinet 2x12 - Dunlop JP95 Wah - Fractal FM3 - EBVP Stereo 25k - Headrush FRFR 108 Stereo

Offline Once_a_Bassist

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
good songs are simple (chords) songs, gumaganda lang lalo sa arrangement / execution... but there are few na complicated ang chords (usually composed thru keyboards/piano) na maganda rin... pero "banda-wise", nagkakatalo lahat sa arrangement at execution. Hindi un kesyo 3/4 chords song, pangit na.... anyway, just my 65cents.....
want to hear my compositions? music videos posted at youtube.com, go to my channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/eps9?feature=mhw5) to view them...
my thread: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,166571.msg2258308.html#msg2258308

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
my two cents on the matter is...

there are really no pointers to advise on songwriting, you can do it rhyming or not, measured or not, long or short, emo or not, anything and everything under the sun.

Creating a song, is like cooking, you have to mix the right ingridients to make a perfect dish. The right ingridients is up to you. The only tip i can give you is never rip-off another man's song even just a part of it. It's like insulting your own creativity. So, in conclusion, do not force yourself in making a song, you have to write or create it when you feel like it, because when you do, the song will come out great.
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuña Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline revelee

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 01:23:18 PM »
cool. i write songs too. dami na, mga 300 plus na yata.
i write about anything, i just need my notebook and a ballpen, then start na.
karamihan dun may melody na sa utak ko. minsan kinakanta ko yung mga nasulat ko na.
ok lang kahit mukhang [chewbacca].

writing is not a choice, it's a will

write how you feel. feel good about the results.
"take a step...
but don't look down
so take a step..."

hanibanch

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 09:08:55 AM »
hehe. problem ko sa pagsulat ng kanta, pag lalagyan ko na ng melody minsan di ko mapalabas yung sound na gusto kong lumabas. hehe. may advice ba kayo about that? hehehe.

anyway, hehe, mas maganda kung mas madaming music na pakikinggan, so mas diverse ang influence sa pagsulat..  :-)

Offline ang hari ng metal

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »
good songs are simple (chords) songs, gumaganda lang lalo sa arrangement / execution... but there are few na complicated ang chords (usually composed thru keyboards/piano) na maganda rin... pero "banda-wise", nagkakatalo lahat sa arrangement at execution. Hindi un kesyo 3/4 chords song, pangit na.... anyway, just my 65cents.....

my problem here is where to start.

im not against the execution, if its more than three chords or not, but the content.

the clash made good punk songs, and the ramones.

the songwriting process has to have sumkinda criteria.

what makes a song, a classic, and what makes it garbage.

salamat ng pala guys for sharing your thoughts :mrgreen:
Call me now its alright
Its just the end of the world
You need a friend in the world cause you cant hide So call and Ill get right back If your intentions are pure Im seeking a friend for the end of the world

Offline Once_a_Bassist

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 05:20:50 PM »
paano sisimulan? hmmm... depende sa mood yan eh... minsan lyrics muna, minsan tune muna.. minsan sabay papasok yan.. minsan pagnagja-jam kayo may lumalabas na ok... criteria for making good songs? depende lang sa makikinig yan.. if the listener thinks it's trash pero ok naman, problema nya un.. basta tayo gawa lang ng gawa for our own consumption, tapos secondary lang un ibang makikinig.. kun purihin nila, cool.. kun gusto nila kopya, aba, mag-record ka na.. hehehe.....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:22:54 PM by Once_a_Bassist »
want to hear my compositions? music videos posted at youtube.com, go to my channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/eps9?feature=mhw5) to view them...
my thread: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,166571.msg2258308.html#msg2258308

Offline superlucky20

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:59 PM »

my problem here is where to start.

im not against the execution, if its more than three chords or not, but the content.

the clash made good punk songs, and the ramones.

the songwriting process has to have sumkinda criteria.

what makes a song, a classic, and what makes it garbage.

salamat ng pala guys for sharing your thoughts :mrgreen:

What makes a song a classic or garbage is purely a matter of opinion. There is no set criteria to classify a song as a masterpiece or crap. Some will praise a song to high heavens while others will villify it just as strongly. If you want to write a good song, write a song that sounds good to YOU and don't think of what others might think of it. It will end up being loved or hated either way.

Offline progressive_pilipinas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
you need to box yourself in a genre to sound different, the music you play is IN your system. kahit wala kang impluwensiya, lalabas at lalabas yang nasa dugo mo. walang mali sa pagcompose basta nailalabas mo emotions mo, ayus!
The fretboard is a vast universe.

Offline higad

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
sulat lang ng sulat. marerealize mo in time yung mga mali mo. at magiimprove lahat. magiging mas mature. (kala mo eksperto e no :lol:)
Pare1: Pare, bat naman hanggang ngayon wala ka pang syota? wala ka pa<br />bang napupusuan?<br />Pare2: Meron.. Manhid ka lang!<br /><br />heegad.multiply.com

Offline Fat Fish

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 03:19:14 AM »
You need to find your muse. Sometimes a really strong emotion can be the key or a really pretty lady. Something to that effect... :mrgreen:

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 10:28:08 PM »
ang good songwriting comes naturally di mo kailangan magkaroon ng complicated stuff with its basta kung ano trip mo na sound basta maganda ang results un na un

Offline MarkRelos

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:40 PM »
rico says "its easy to make a song, any songs"
               "its hard to make a great song"
                :oops:
At sa pag tulog ng gabi maririnig ang dasal na ang kabataan uhaw sa tunay na pag mamahal " -

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 01:23:03 AM »
songwriting parang pag gigitara din yan or any kind of sport... pinapraktis yan para gumaling ka... sulat ka lang ng sulat ng kanta. at first you would suck pero once you get better over time madali na yan

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 02:49:58 AM »
pinapakinggan ko yung mga halos contemporary pero nagiging classic na, syempre sina jeff buckley, maynard james keenan, tori amos, tracy chapman, *ehem* billy corgan *ehem*,jewell, chris cornell etc.

at yung mga classics tulad ni hendrix, neil young, beatles, nina simone, led zepplin atbp.

medyo nakakasawa na kasi yung mga sinasabi ng mga emo ngayon, tungkol sa love hate and relationships. ihave nothing against them, pero it just sucks to see them creating a set of three chords and screeming like hell.

hell,anyone can do that.

so just help me out, and others out there aspiring to write, to quote Tenacious D " THE GREATEST SONG IN THE WORLD!"

salamatski!

Are you still interested? give me your e-mail addy and I'll send you something useful.
Bakit hindi ka pwedeng mapuyat sa umaga?

http://www.myspace.com/bryanjason  http://twitter.com/bryanjason

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »
ako sir. gusto ko

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »

hell,anyone can do that.

salamatski!

Are you still interested? give me your e-mail addy and I'll send you something useful.

Me, me, me!!! :-D :-D :-D

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2007, 12:57:06 AM »
interested pala, asan na yung e-mail addy?  :roll:

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 11:14:04 AM »

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline xavier

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 06:05:26 AM »
yehoo. thanks sir.

Online jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 05:18:24 AM »
@soundslikebryan: fatallyyoursmusic@gmail.com hehe..:-D

songs come out naturally.. when you see a tree, you can write a song about it.. i met this person who writes about anything and everything he sees.. he came to our band's practice once after that, he wrote a song about our drummer.. nice guy haha! it doesnt matter if its emo or not, three chords or not, it really depends on the song you make.. by the way, punk usually runs on a three chord pattern so dont think its crap.. its meant to be simple and very expressive..
geeesh

Offline soundslikebryan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 07:15:19 AM »
e-mail sent

Online jaythegame

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »
^^ thank you, thank you!  :-) ang haba pala hehe.. :-D this would help me to improve a lot.. :-D
geeesh