hulika

Author Topic: My A/B/X/Y method for setting up multi effects - Sample video on page 2!  (Read 7478 times)

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: My A/B/X/Y method for setting up multi effects, now with TL; DR!
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 06:32:25 PM »
Here is a sample of the amp input method on YouTube:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:18:07 PM by lolwat »

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: My A/B/X/Y method for setting up multi effects - Sample video on page 2!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Upping for comment request:

Multi-effects people, do you have anything else you'd like to know regarding setting up your units? Any suggestions for the posts I've made in the thread so far?

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »
Finally, someone explaining using modelers properly! I know that, say, PODs have an option to plug into the front end of amp, but most people don't realize that modelers --- esp when amp models are turned on --- are essentially meant to replace the preamp section of an amp. Great job outlining this, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Thanks titser_marco  :-) anything in particular you'd like to ask about the process? or a particular setup scheme for "profiling" tones?

I think I can also talk about profiling actual amplifier preamps provided they have effects loops to allow other routing schemes.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
Wala naman; I pretty much have a handle on these things anyway, but you explained it in a way much better than I could ever have.

It's good practice to do this sort of preparation before any show, but given the situation where one doesn't know what amp is available, there's always the risk of a curveball, which is where I think modelers/multieffects with real knobs have an edge since you can tweak minutes before a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 06:56:49 PM »
Hi sir/s..

I am a newbie in this kind of setup, and i am in the process of getting back my mojo in guitar playing.. I have a multieffect pedal and analog pedals for mu dirt and i want to set it up in a way that i am going to use my multi for all the modulation effects and all the dirt (od and dist) will be coming frm the analog pedals.. I just cant seem to figure out how i am going to connect everything in my board..what i mean is i have not experimented yet.. Is it alright if i post questions here after i read through the articles posted in this thread? Thanks

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 11:38:10 PM »
sure thing!  :-)

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 10:24:56 AM »
hi sir/s,

Please help me out with this.. current setup I have

Analog
Tuner
Wah
Boss Compression/Sustainer (CS3)
Boss Super Overdrive
Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Joyo US Dream Distortion
MV Shredhead
Boston Equalizer
Mooer Noise Killer

MultiEffects
Digitech RP360xp

AMP
Fender Mustang

What I intend to do is use my analog pedals for my dirt sounds and blend them with the modulation effects coming from the RP360xp.  I prepared some patches in my RP360xp wherein the dirt and amp sims are not included.  Purely either chorus, flange, trem,phaser delay and reverb lang or a mix of it...

1. what kind of switcher should you recommend that I get? Should I get a Boss LS2 for the A+B Mix feature (or can the LS2 handle what I am thinking) or
2. is it better for me to have a switcher customized?
3. Also, may I know what would be the possible disadvantages of the set up?
4. What other factors should I take note and consider? what types of patch cables, etc etc..

I just want to have the versatility of using my analog pedals with some mix of mods from the multifx or switch to using my multifx only on my pedalboard for some instances.  I am a bit confused on what AB or A+B or ABY box or switch should I be using. 

Will appreciate your help sir/s.

Thanks!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
Can you tell me more about how you intend to use the setup?

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
I intend to use the analogs along with the multifx... the multifx will be the primary source of my modulation effects...like delays and reverbs... I am thinking along the lines of using an A+B switch or whatever switch ill need to be able to set up an A loop (ods and dirt) then B loop (modulation which will come from the RP360).  Then blend some of my created modulation presets from the multifx with my analog ods and dist peds. Kasi hindi ko gagamitin yung dirt and amp sims ng multifx unit. Dun ko kukunin yun sa analog.

Hybrid setup sana ang plan ko if this is a possible or viable option. Guitar then effects from my board then straight into 1 amp. 

I play almost all genres of music except heavy or death metal.  My band plays at  some minor gigs sa office and friend parties.  I records some stuff at home.  Di naman ako professional sir. Hobbyist lang din.  But I wanted to get much out of the current effects and pedals I have bought recently.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 09:11:50 PM by zraw79 »

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 11:24:59 PM »
Digitech RP series effects have very transparent bypass modes in my experience. You can opt to simply use the (AFAIK analog) tuner bypass to "kill" the Digitech effects, or take advantage of the stompbox mode on the unit which allows you to use the switches as straightforward on/off buttons per effect. IMO you don't need a separate switcher unless you're going to actually need an A+B mode, or a means to very quickly switch between effects chains with a button press. For example, in my case I need an A/B switcher because I run two pedals exclusively for a clean sound (compressor & chorus), and up to two pedals for a dirty sound (distortion + od/boost). Without the A/B switcher, I need to step on four switches one after the other just to change my sound.

BTW, I don't think you'll need so many of those distortion and overdrive boxes at once unless you're going for a sound that does require that many gain pedals.

Finally, if you're going to chain up your effects, the order is usually like this:

Guitar -> Tuner -> Wah -> Compressor -> Overdrive/Distortion (up to you which one plugs into the other) -> Noise gate -> modulation, delay, reverb

Which means your RP360XP ends up at the very end of your chain. Good luck with tone hunting!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
Oh, and don't overlook the capabilities of the RP360's amp sims either if you're going to do recording! I have an RP500 which allowed me to record stuff like this before: https://soundcloud.com/jolo-carrera/rp500-more-or-less-full-demo

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
thank you sir..that was very informative and helpful.. you are correct, the RP360 has a stombox mode which is a very useful feature...and I think I should capitalize on that...

I think I would indeed need some sort of A+B switcher since I intend to switch from one chain to another.  Maybe i'll have something customized na lang from our local MTO peeps here at PhilMusic...and i'll see what happens next..hehe...

And you are correct sir, I am not running those ODs and Dist all at once, those are just the remaining analog pedals I retained coz I liked the sound of it.. I accumulated a few dirt pedals which I already disposed.. I settled na lang with 2 ODs and 2 Dist and the rest ok na rin...

I really appreciate your inputs sir... wish you all the best.. =)

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:44 AM »
Oh, wait, so you want to use the dirts by themselves, and then have the ability to switch to the RP360XP for clean sounds only?

If so, then you do need an A/B box. However, if you want an A+B option which runs one chain into the other, you might need a custom one since most of the commercial switches I see are parallel A & B, a.k.a. Y routing (A and B receive the same dry signal from the input and runs side-by-side.).

Offline zraw79

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:35:02 AM »
I'll mix my analog dirt with delays and reverbs of the RP360 sir.. So mukhang need ko ng A+B box..  But if i want to go clean using ung reverb multi and off mga
Dirt pedals.. Would the A+B box work too?

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
Sounds like you need a 2-channel true bypass switcher instead of an A/B switch bro. you run the analog pedals in the first loop, then the RP in the second. If you want to "kill" all of the dirt pedals at the same time, you can just stomp on one switch to take them out of your signal chain without affecting the RP360. Likewise, if you want to take the RP out of the signal chain, you just stomp on its respective switch to turn it off. With both off you get the dry sound of your guitar, and with both on, the dirt pedals run into the modulation and time effects of the RP.