hulika

Author Topic: using electric guitar on acoustic gig  (Read 1903 times)

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
using electric guitar on acoustic gig
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
First I don't have an acoustic-electric guitar, but planning to try acoustic simulator pedal on my electric guitar for an acoustic gig. Will that help? How was the sound? Is it worthwhile getting it? Also what if the venue has no amplifiers, and direct to PA only, will the electric + acoustic simulator pedal be good? Have you tried this before?

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: using electric guitar on acoustic gig
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »
Yes puede naman yan. Acoustic simulator + DI going to PA. Mas madali pa timplahin ang tunog mo kung nasa acoustic simulator ka kesa sa actual acoustic guitar.

Ang problema lang siguro para mawawala yun acoustic vibe onstage. Parang "nakarockstar guitar si kuya pero tunog acoustic." Hahaha
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip bro, anyway you are right about that, hahaha so what do you think is a good pedal for it?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »
first question, anong electric ang gagamitin? I found that a semi hollow guitar with P90s will sound convincing as an acoustic when plugged into a full range flat response amp/pa. Reverb nalang, lalaban na.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
first question, anong electric ang gagamitin? I found that a semi hollow guitar with P90s will sound convincing as an acoustic when plugged into a full range flat response amp/pa. Reverb nalang, lalaban na.

D n D T-rex, I will use the stock neck PU, (lipstick)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
D n D T-rex, I will use the stock neck PU, (lipstick)

I think you'll be pretty safe. just get a reverb and plug into an FRFR Amp or PA.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:31 AM »
I think you'll be pretty safe. just get a reverb and plug into an FRFR Amp or PA.

ok Sir, so I will not buy an acoustic simulator, instead, I will just buy a reverb pedal? But having full
range flat response amp, might be difficult or not necesarilly avialable, I will plug into a PA instead

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
ok Sir, so I will not buy an acoustic simulator, instead, I will just buy a reverb pedal? But having full
range flat response amp, might be difficult or not necesarilly avialable, I will plug into a PA instead

if you're plugging into a PA, best to get a DI to match the impedance. note that it wont sound like an acoustic guitar per se, but it will sound nice to the ears.

if you really want it to sound exactly like an acoustic guitar, might be best to get the acoustic simulator. the BOSS AC2/AC3 are the easiest to get locally.

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:13 PM »
Zoom A3 or Zoom MS50 plus separate DI or any Zoom (or other brand) multifx with acoustics sims and DI should work.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:05:27 PM by skrumian »
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:54 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies Sir/Madam, I will try all your suggestions. But I have to stay away from carrying my multieffects for an acoustic simulator, because I prefer to carry light on an acoustic gig. 

OT question, if a song has a certain guitar solo and im the only guitarist and I don't have a looper pedal, is it akward to play a guitar solo? or I will just all the rhythm section instead?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 09:54:09 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies Sir/Madam, I will try all your suggestions. But I have to stay away from carrying my multieffects for an acoustic simulator, because I prefer to carry light on an acoustic gig. 

OT question, if a song has a certain guitar solo and im the only guitarist and I don't have a looper pedal, is it akward to play a guitar solo? or I will just all the rhythm section instead?

unless you have a tight rhythm section (bass and drums), I'd stick to playing all rhythm and have the vocalist just scat/sing some of the solo lines. if the bass and drums are top notc (Ala steve jordan and pino paladino), then by all means, solo on it! but make sure you fatten up your tone to fill up those empty frequencies. take a listen to John Mayer Trio for an idea and the differences of tones he uses for these parts.

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 10:21:53 AM »
unless you have a tight rhythm section (bass and drums), I'd stick to playing all rhythm and have the vocalist just scat/sing some of the solo lines. if the bass and drums are top notc (Ala steve jordan and pino paladino), then by all means, solo on it! but make sure you fatten up your tone to fill up those empty frequencies. take a listen to John Mayer Trio for an idea and the differences of tones he uses for these parts.

Thanks Sir for the info, I don't have a bassist right now, I have only one drummer who will play
bongo instead of a kahon, will that be enough? Or will I go all rhythm on it? I will listen to John Mayer
but in my opinion he uses finger style, which is I am not  yet proficient. 

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
Thanks Sir for the info, I don't have a bassist right now, I have only one drummer who will play
bongo instead of a kahon, will that be enough? Or will I go all rhythm on it? I will listen to John Mayer
but in my opinion he uses finger style, which is I am not  yet proficient. 

if that's the case then you have no choice but to go all out rhythm. if you can fnid a bassist, that will be better.

Acoustic + Bass > Acoustic + Percussion

your set/gig will have less impact without a good bassist.

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 11:48:10 AM »
if that's the case then you have no choice but to go all out rhythm. if you can fnid a bassist, that will be better.

Acoustic + Bass > Acoustic + Percussion

your set/gig will have less impact without a good bassist.

Thank you Sir, but if he will play bass and there is no bass amp in the venue, will it be ok
to plug it in the PA? so it can accommodate guitar and bass?

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »
Thank you Sir, but if he will play bass and there is no bass amp in the venue, will it be ok
to plug it in the PA? so it can accommodate guitar and bass?

yes, it will work provided he has a bass DI prior to plugging into the PA. do not plug the bass guitar straight to PA. it should be BASS >>> DI >>> PA/MIXER

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:41 PM »
yes, it will work provided he has a bass DI prior to plugging into the PA. do not plug the bass guitar straight to PA. it should be BASS >>> DI >>> PA/MIXER
copy sir, so my electric can be plugged directly into the PA without a DI box, and the bass needs to have one.

Sent from my vivo 1716 using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 04:00:24 PM »
copy sir, so my electric can be plugged directly into the PA without a DI box, and the bass needs to have one.

Sent from my vivo 1716 using Tapatalk

actually, might be best if you both plug into a DI first, just to account for the difference in input levels. this way, you'll reduce the chance of getting a distorted signal (especially if the PA doesn't support passive/active input switching). plugging into a DI, both the guitar and bass will ensure that the PA/mixer will accept your signals without difficulties.