hulika

Author Topic: Recomended headphones  (Read 9509 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Recomended headphones
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
Quote from: sQuid
regardless the model?

Let's be practical. Every manufacturer makes both professional and consumer models. Often, the consumer models will have 'relaxed' tolerances to make way for mass-production techniques and their frequencies may not be as sharp as the 'pro' models.

For example, my AKG 220m is a consumer model, it sounds good and gives me consistently good mixes, but when I want to go surgical and cut that offending peak, I go to my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. One more thing, with the Senns, I can literally feel bass frequencies, something which the cheaper AKGs do not produce.

Try going to goodcans.com, headfi.org and headphonereviews.org if you want to read up on some headphone reviews.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline junig

Re: tanong po
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 12:31:54 PM »
ok po ba yung AKG k66? meron kasi ako nung AT M20, pang monitor lang ng track recordings para hindi mabulabog kapitbahay ko... gusto sana magtry ng iba pero low budget lang po.. :?

ok naman yung akg k66. maganda yung highs and mids pero medyo kapos yung bass nya. saka nakakatakot itong lakasan kasi mababa lang ang power handling nya.

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
Recomended headphones
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 12:49:58 PM »
peace to all!

sir Tarkuz, maganda ba ung AKG k171 studio closed headphones?
$149=p7500+

di ko kasi lam talaga kung anung head phones(monitor) dapat para sa DAW.

tapos galing ako ng audiophile last week,sabi daw dapat piliin ko yung FLAT ang effect.

ok ba investment ng phones na to?anu pa ba pede?nakasing presyo ah.hehehe :lol: help po.

salamat..ngatz..gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Recomended headphones
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »
The AKG's are good, esp the 171. Syemps, the 271's are better pero more expensive. If for mixing, better to get open backed cans para mas open ang sound, more natural. Use closed backs for tracking sessions. One more thing, I suggest circumaural earcups or pads; you don't want to mix for long hours on supra-aural headphones, you will feel na parang pinalantsa ang tenga mo.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
Recomended headphones
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 01:12:12 PM »
thanks sir kitC...mainly for hearing sounds from sequencer tracks(samples and sequences).kung magLive man ako.Guitar and Bass lang siguro.walang live drums.

hay naku, isip isip kasi e. asin at tubig.:roll: battling with the studio monitors e.
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline jplacson

Recomended headphones
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »
I don't know why I'm partial to AKG (I have no connection with Audiophile) ... Sennheiser, AT, and even Behringer all have excellent cans.

My first cans were the AKG 240DF...still have them... still my preferred set.  B*tch to drive... so they stay plugged to the board.  Flattest cans I've heard.

I also have a pair of Shure E3 IEMs (the gray ones, never released here).  These are very decent IEMs.  Relatively flat, easy to drive.  My favorite travelling set since I got the triple-flange tips from Audiophile.  A bit too mid-rangy... but not too bad.  I hear the new E4C/G are great but still too pricey for me for a pair of IEMs...still asking sir Tarkuz if they will have AKGs new IEMs... hehehe

AKG K55... I bought these cuz I wanted a pair of closed-back cans for dubbing... and so that anyone can use them... not so painful if someone breaks them.  They're ok for the price, although Sennheiser's counterpart at this price range sounds better for me.  These feel very light and plasticky.

AKG K81DJ... OMG... BASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS (and I don't mean the honky 100hz kind)....  this thing kicks your head in, and the bass is very tight, response is amazing.  Mid is slightly scooped (obviously this is for DJs).  Supra-aural... 3D rotation for single-ear use.  Very easy to drive.  These are my most "fun" cans.  I also like the fact that it comes with a small carry pouch and they fold up nice and flat.  Oddly enough, reviews of it's bigger (and more expensive) brother, the K181DJs aren't as good.  I haven't heard them so I can't comment if they are better or worse than my K81DJs.  My current favorite... until I get a portable headphone amp for the 240DFs... hehehe.  Oh... do NOT use these for mixing or mastering.  Just my best guess, it gives about a +6db boost in bass over the 240DFs.

Audio-Technicas sound great too... but I like the build of AKG better.  Behringers sound pretty close as well... but feel very brittle.  I've never broken one or heard of one breaking... they just "feel" like it while wearing.  Doesn't seem to affect their sound quality.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline nongx

Recomended headphones
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »
check this, Sennheiser HD580 Full-Sized Circumaural Headphone
This headphone is an ideal choice for the professional recording engineer recording classical music. The HD 580 precision can be connected directly to hi-fi systems of the highest quality, in particular DAT, DCC, and CD players.

price:200 US $

regards
nongx

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
Recomended headphones
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 10:08:44 AM »
just bought  Sony MDR7506 Large Diaphragm Foldable Headphones

haay,hirap ng on a budget. :roll: pero also read good reviews. perp still  :roll: haay.tsktsk
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Recomended headphones
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
for sir Tarkuz, are there shure in ear designs that are as flat as studio head fones? if so please pm me the price.  thanks.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Recomended headphones
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 07:47:24 PM »
Quote from: starfugger
for sir Tarkuz, are there shure in ear designs that are as flat as studio head fones? if so please pm me the price.  thanks.

all shure personal in-ear monitors have flat frequency response. it is intended for personal use but just replace the foam if another person will put it in his or her ears.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline TheHunter

Re: Recomended headphones
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
regardless the model?

For example, my AKG 220m is a consumer model, it sounds good and gives me consistently good mixes, but when I want to go surgical and cut that offending peak, I go to my Sennheiser HD-280 Pro. One more thing, with the Senns, I can literally feel bass frequencies, something which the cheaper AKGs do not produce.

I've got the cheap HD 202, bass is excellent too! My friend got HD 212 Pro which is twice the price I think sound quality are the same but HD 212 Pro a bit more bass. I know these are DJs closed cans but just enough and perfect for my monitoring.

I will try the HD 280 Pro...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 07:29:15 PM by TheHunter »
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline aperture

• Netizen Level
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2006, 06:35:37 AM »
just bought  Sony MDR7506 Large Diaphragm Foldable Headphones

haay,hirap ng on a budget. :roll: pero also read good reviews. perp still  :roll: haay.tsktsk

you know where i can buy a Sony MDR7506 locally? thanks..

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 12:29:36 PM »
CAUTION: READ THIS ESPECIALLY IF YOU INTEND TO MIX USING HEADPHONES.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2006, 12:32:13 PM »
I use Senn HD280s for monitoring by the way, but not really meant to make critical changes to my mixes.  That costs like P3,600 PER EAR.  :x

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 02:49:55 PM »
The AKG's are good, esp the 171. Syemps, the 271's are better pero more expensive. If for mixing, better to get open backed cans para mas open ang sound, more natural. Use closed backs for tracking sessions. One more thing, I suggest circumaural earcups or pads; you don't want to mix for long hours on supra-aural headphones, you will feel na parang pinalantsa ang tenga mo.

Bro,

I'm also planning to buy a headphone.

My planned setup is:
Guitar >> Boss Micro BR >> Headphone.

This is the ideal setup for me since I travel a lot. I want to record the stuff I write and arrange them into a song. Do you think I should get an open back or closed back headphones?

Thanks!

Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 03:16:06 PM »
If you're going to have a mic present while recording, use closed backs, otherwise, use open backs. Mics can easily pick up the sound from an open backed mic especially if you're in a booth. If you will be recording instruments only either thru line in or DI, open backs will be fine. IMO, open backs sound more natural and 'spacey', while closed backs often have better bass. I have HD-280s too, and I can literally feel the bass with those cans. (Been gassing for an AKG240m I saw recently, though.)

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 11:13:18 PM »
hey thanks!

Last one, what would be the disadvantage if I use closed back headphones when I record thru line in or DI? Ano kalalabasan nung recorded song or audio?

Bibili na kasi ako ng Boss Micro BR, gusto ko isabay na ung pagbili ng headphone para tipid sa shipping 8-)
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 11:59:40 PM »
Last one, what would be the disadvantage if I use closed back headphones when I record thru line in or DI? Ano kalalabasan nung recorded song or audio?

None, at least during the tracking stage. Remember, however, that headphones will not give you an accurate picture of the mix's stereo image. You can track using any pair of headphones really, but always mix with a good pair of monitors. Never do a final mix thru headphones alone.

Offline nongx

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »
sir kit pahabol lang  ok ba itong headphone FR-F880 technics?
sale kasi dito around 3K

thanks
& regards
nongx

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2006, 02:52:14 PM »
you know where i can buy a Sony MDR7506 locally? thanks..

SONY WEBSITE

tignan mo nalang kung meron dyan...look for the resellers...

:-)
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »
sale kasi dito around 3K

They don't appear to be studio monitoring headphones to me but the price reflects what I see on the net. You can try these Sony headphones: MDR-V150. I used to have the next higher model, the MDR-V300 and I swear by them. I think they use the same drivers as the MDR-7506. The only thing is that these are supra-aurals and they sit quite snugly on your ear. As for the sound, these were quite incredible, plus, they fold! I'd probably get another pair of the V300 if I had a chance.

You might also want to check out the Behringer HPS-3000 which Joint Venture prices at P2155, and the HPS-5000 at P2610 (just got off the phone with Bong-3732985). According to several members here, these Behris sound quite good.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 03:23:03 PM by KitC »

Offline nongx

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »
sale kasi dito around 3K

They don't appear to be studio monitoring headphones to me but the price reflects what I see on the net. You can try these Sony headphones: MDR-V150. I used to have the next higher model, the MDR-V300 and I swear by them. I think they use the same drivers as the MDR-7506. The only thing is that these are supra-aurals and they sit quite snugly on your ear. As for the sound, these were quite incredible, plus, they fold! I'd probably get another pair of the V300 if I had a chance.

You might also want to check out the Behringer HPS-3000 which Joint Venture prices at P2155, and the HPS-5000 at P2610 (just got off the phone with Bong-3732985). According to several members here, these Behris sound quite good.

Sir kit Technics RP-F880, sorry not FR

thanks
nongx

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
I wonder if there's a local distro for Grado Labs. I heard their SR-60's are nice.

yes, there is AUDIODEN araneta. i got their last pair of GRADO SR60s. sold them here after testing. upgraded to SR80 immediately. need the bass to compensate for the open design. i dont think theyll have Grado prestige line til febuary 07.

i need closeback design for my ipod and amp rig. im deciding what to get, either a k81dj, hd201 or 212pro or audio technica es5. can anyone help me out ? thanks!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2007, 02:07:17 AM »
i need closeback design for my ipod and amp rig. im deciding what to get, either a k81dj, hd201 or 212pro or audio technica es5. can anyone help me out ? thanks!

Instead of the Audio Technica ES5, try their ATH D40fs (not the M40fs); the D version has deeper bass while the "M" version has a flatter response. I have the Senn HD-280 Pro and I can literally feel bass though it isn't as loud as you would probably want.

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2007, 12:00:49 AM »
how much are those ATH cans? the HD 280 is way out of mybudget at 8thou bucks  :-) I want something that if i end up losing or breaking during my travels, i wouldnt feel that bad  :-)

i emailed the senn distributor last december and up to now, theyve yet replied! is there like a showroom or a place where i can audition their cans? because most appliance store are hesitant to open the box just for testing.