hulika

Author Topic: Song Reviews  (Read 14147 times)

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
Song Reviews
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:36:24 PM »
sir,

we just made a new song...pwede po mag ask reviews???

hindi ako nag master at mix, ung bassist namin...

acid pro at sound fourge gamit nya...

i really hope na merong mag respond dito  :lol:

song: YOUTH THEME

don't mind the wind beneath my wings, nag trip lang akong kumanta  :-D

kitC - can u give ur 2 cents???

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=135196152
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 01:24:01 PM by tam_guitar »
There is no tone. There is only music.

Offline nichteque

Re: Song Reviews
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:22:00 PM »
comment lang ako...mashadong angat ata yung percs. lalo na pag sa stanza, medyo nasasapawan yung vocals. :)

this one's sure different from "wisdom weed" pare :) pasa niyo yung demo kay papadom, chong. i was with your bandmates parang last month ata; they tagged along with papadom dun sa band practice ng trop; i dropped them off sa may edsa. kamusta na pala ang kukays? :)

irie.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 04:39:24 PM »
comment lang ako...mashadong angat ata yung percs. lalo na pag sa stanza, medyo nasasapawan yung vocals. :)

this one's sure different from "wisdom weed" pare :) pasa niyo yung demo kay papadom, chong. i was with your bandmates parang last month ata; they tagged along with papadom dun sa band practice ng trop; i dropped them off sa may edsa. kamusta na pala ang kukays? :)

irie.

pinasa na yata ng bassist (kenneth) kay papadom...actually ako pinaka bago sa group. wala kasi silang keyboardist kaya kinuha ako  :? malay ko ba anong nakita sakin ng mga yun...

sige sabihin ko sa kanila ung comment mo, tnx ng marami sa time na makinig at mag bigay ng comment bro!

ok lang ung group, togs kami mamaya sa QC cityhall/circle

:lol:

Offline nichteque

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:49:08 PM »
sige pare, maghanapan tayo dun. dun din kami mamaya! topas chong, keyboardist ng rubadub. kitakits tayo mamaya. :)

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 12:49:47 PM »
..I would pan the backup vocals either to the right or left a bit para hindi masapawan and lead vocals na nasa center.
.....The EQ needs a bit of warmth.
...acoustic is a bit loud.
...the lead guitars and the keyboards are like fighting (ending part)

...key here is to hear each instrument giving them their own space.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 01:38:36 PM »
Lose the tremolo effect on the background vocals when the main instrumentation comes in. Don't use it over the entire length of the song; it becomes rather gimmicky after a while so selective usage is key.

Pan the instruments so that they don't occupy the same sonic space as the vocals. Ride the faders on the percussion, pulling them down so that they don't interfere with the vocals. Panning also works here. Try to automate volume and panning instead of using a set-and-forget setting; it makes a mix more dynamic.

The mix needs a little more 'clarity", more sheen to it. It also needs more cohesion. All elements sound so... individual, you need to try to make them sound like they were recorded in the same room. Reduce their overall separation yet don't pan everything dead center.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 03:43:19 PM »
kitc, phil...

tnx for the reviews!

ill keep those in mind!

i guess its time to re-record, hahahaha!

peace out!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 11:34:47 PM »

just listened to it now lang.

1. is that a flanger added on the vocals? coz i cant understand a word pag nagsasaby na main and backup vox.
2. re: percussions... are those loops? if not... mejo malakas ang drums and parang nag aaway yung bonggos and drums
   - you can pan kahit 75% lang ang bonggos to the right or left para lang di mag away
3. like what phil and bossing kit said. i also noticed yung lead guitar and keyboards sa end part na nag aaway... same din panning lang    kasagutan kung tingin nyo naman may chemistry tugtugan nyo.
4. Overall.... maganda yung song hirap nga lang intindihin words dahil sa flanger yata yun

kitc, phil...

tnx for the reviews!

ill keep those in mind!

peace out!
Kung may time kayo to re-record ok lang pero kung busy sa work din kayo Mixing na lang muna.

If you still have the multitrack recorded stuff... mix nyo lang ng maayos
  *balancing sounds of each instrument
  * proper panning
  * EQ

yun lang BOW!

PEACE MAN!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 11:43:16 PM »

just listened to it now lang.

1. is that a flanger added on the vocals? coz i cant understand a word pag nagsasaby na main and backup vox.
2. re: percussions... are those loops? if not... mejo malakas ang drums and parang nag aaway yung bonggos and drums
   - you can pan kahit 75% lang ang bonggos to the right or left para lang di mag away
3. like what phil and bossing kit said. i also noticed yung lead guitar and keyboards sa end part na nag aaway... same din panning lang    kasagutan kung tingin nyo naman may chemistry tugtugan nyo.
4. Overall.... maganda yung song hirap nga lang intindihin words dahil sa flanger yata yun

kitc, phil...

tnx for the reviews!

ill keep those in mind!

peace out!
Kung may time kayo to re-record ok lang pero kung busy sa work din kayo Mixing na lang muna.

If you still have the multitrack recorded stuff... mix nyo lang ng maayos
  *balancing sounds of each instrument
  * proper panning
  * EQ

yun lang BOW!

PEACE MAN!

i have the wave file of each track...ILL JUST RE-MIX IT!

tnx poh  :lol: ako din eh wala maintindihan sa lyrics, actualy hnd ko nga kabisado ung lyrics eh  :-D

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
what daw apps are u using for multitrack?

if you can load all wav files on cubase or sonar na mag sync lahat ng wav files... much easier magiging trabaho mo ;)

PEACE!

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 12:15:52 AM »
ung original na nag mix nyan....sound forge at iba pang software gamit nya. hnd ako familiar.

adobe audition ang alam ko gamitin, dun ko i-re-remix  :lol:

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 04:37:02 AM »
Lose the tremolo effect on the background vocals when the main instrumentation comes in. Don't use it over the entire length of the song; it becomes rather gimmicky after a while so selective usage is key.

Pan the instruments so that they don't occupy the same sonic space as the vocals. Ride the faders on the percussion, pulling them down so that they don't interfere with the vocals. Panning also works here. Try to automate volume and panning instead of using a set-and-forget setting; it makes a mix more dynamic.

The mix needs a little more 'clarity", more sheen to it. It also needs more cohesion. All elements sound so... individual, you need to try to make them sound like they were recorded in the same room. Reduce their overall separation yet don't pan everything dead center.
oh yeah...absolutely.

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 02:32:03 PM »
ung original na nag mix nyan....sound forge at iba pang software gamit nya. hnd ako familiar.

adobe audition ang alam ko gamitin, dun ko i-re-remix  :lol:

just be careful sa pag papantay pantay ng mga wav files (syncing) prone ang audition kasi na umusog sa timeline yung bwat track. i lock in time mo na kaagad.

OT: boss kit online ka sa YM. papunta ako sa inyo mamaya maghahatid ng trabaho ;)

PEACE!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 02:33:25 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:16:03 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions...  The song that you hear- youth theme: the mixing, volume, flangers, panning, lyrics, etc. are all the specifications of the band. It is nice to know that you have noticed all of these. This is the sound of kukays jam, making it distinct from other groups. Well kanya-kanyang taste lang yan, and as to our side, we find it a perfect mix because our desired sounds came out in a smooth flow as we desired. It is our standard as professional recording artists, like any other bands. We do not like being branded like  "it sounds-like this certain group or something". Every band wants to be unique, to be recognized as their own identity although sharing same genres with others. There has to be distinction. So here it is, our final product, sounds as planned, smooth, unique... ready for radio airplay and sharing.

-kukays jam

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »
 :lol: nagreply na ung nag mix  :-D

:roll: ano kaya reaction ng mga tao dito  :?

-tam_guitar  :wink:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
di ikaw yung nag reply neto?

Thanks for all the suggestions...  The song that you hear- youth theme: the mixing, volume, flangers, panning, lyrics, etc. are all the specifications of the band. It is nice to know that you have noticed all of these. This is the sound of kukays jam, making it distinct from other groups. Well kanya-kanyang taste lang yan, and as to our side, we find it a perfect mix because our desired sounds came out in a smooth flow as we desired. It is our standard as professional recording artists, like any other bands. We do not like being branded like  "it sounds-like this certain group or something". Every band wants to be unique, to be recognized as their own identity although sharing same genres with others. There has to be distinction. So here it is, our final product, sounds as planned, smooth, unique... ready for radio airplay and sharing.

-kukays jam

as for that reply of who ever he is...

YES every band wants his own identity, We are not taking that away from you. But if he cannot accept the flaws on his mixing.... nothings gonna happen to your band. If a Sound Engineer of a recording company which you're gonna pass that demo listens to it... I Think he'll probably comment on the same stuffs we commented to.

AND your gonna re-record, re-mix the entire thing again and again and again!

Edit:
There has to be distinction. So here it is, our final product, sounds as planned, smooth, unique... ready for radio airplay and sharing.

No sir... Im sorry pero your song is not radio airplay ready

PEACE!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 01:34:48 PM by edgeofillusion-jepoy »

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »
.....no comment. :lol:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 12:41:39 PM »
.....no comment. :lol:

haha playing safe si pareng Phil haha.

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 12:48:48 PM »
later tonight baka basahin nya ulit ito...

Hahahaha...no comment si sir phil  :lol:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »

sana lang he takes it constructively. I myself kahit alam ko ng maayos pagkakamix ng kanta na minaster ko.... I still do find someone to listen to it and have their comments noted CONSTRUCTIVELY.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 01:01:16 PM »
Easy ka lang, jeps! To quote from another thread, "Your heart, remember your heart..."  :lol:

To the original poster: you asked for comments and we gave it. To the 2nd original poster  :-D : it's up to you if you want to retain your original mix; it's also up to the radio stations if they want to play it. You live and you learn. My suggestion? Get better monitors or a better soundcard... apparently, you don't hear what some of us hear.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline tam_guitar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 01:03:20 PM »

sana lang he takes it constructively. I myself kahit alam ko ng maayos pagkakamix ng kanta na minaster ko.... I still do find someone to listen to it and have their comments noted CONSTRUCTIVELY.

thats the sole reason why i posted  :lol:

got to go to class....ill catch u guys later  :-P

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »
sorry bossing Kit. hehe i find it very annoying lang kasi. anyway im online sa ym need to chat with you

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 01:56:43 PM »
My suggestion? Get better monitors or a better soundcard... apparently, you don't hear what some of us hear.
...da best suggestion .....ever!!! bwahahahaha!!!! good one Pareng Kit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 06:40:43 PM »
I second that... get yourself a good monitors and a good sound card.

1. Behri MS40 is ok if your budget constraint
2. PHP 8,700.00 E-1-306 M-AUDIO Audiophile 2496 PCI Audio/MIDI Interface