hulika

Author Topic: Overheard in a guitar store...  (Read 9343 times)

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
Re: Overheard in a guitar store...
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2006, 05:45:10 PM »
Kung mayaman ako bibilhin ko na yung maganda at mahal kahit ba DAGA chord progression lang alam ko.

I ended up disposing a lot of second-rate guitars dahil lately lang ako nagkapera. Kung maganda na agad ang guitar siguro tatagal sa yo at isang gastusan lang. Alam ko yung Les Paul Custom ni Randy Rhoads eh inutang pa ng tatay nya. Yun nga lang sobrang galing nya na nung binili yun.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2006, 05:54:59 PM »
to me, basta hindi super crap gear ang binibili ng tao, ok lang.. i'd usually advice on people, starting out, on what to buy.. lalo na kung kaya naman..

hey, a nice squier or used mim fender or an epiphone na starter is still better than a Rocker guitar, ryt?..  :-)

Offline rennell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
hehe parang ung kahapon sa jb music meron ung kid na bumibili din na prs na kulay black...........wala lang :-D

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »
So yung RJ Strat copy pwede na ba yun? Reasonable na ba? Yun kasi gamit co eh (in off-white)
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2006, 04:12:10 AM »
i was trying to "read" his mom. pinakiramdaman ko kung gano kalaki ...

did you also wanna show her ur 'full-stack', like abyssinianson ??!! nyahaha  :evil: :evil:

Hindi naman...kung nadoon pa ako sabi ko nga,"Uh...Senora milf, subukan mo into ang "whammy bar." Bwhahahahaha!
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline e-leg

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
when i started my first guitar lesson i don't even own a single guitar. my parent's could not afford one at that time. so my brother in law handed me down a worn to the wood lumanog acoustic guitar, with a very terrible string action. it was so terrible, that if i press a chord down the 9th fret it would not sound correctly.......but nevertheless, i started learning the major scale using that worn out guitar. my fingers paid dearly to it. ang kapal ng kalyo ko sa kamay because of it.

i know i could've done better if i had the right equipments back then.....up until now i still envy the kids who would walk inside a music store with their parents, trying to buy the high end instruments for them.

but strangely enough, what motivated me to play the instrument further was the fact that i have less in terms of high end equipments. surely i do envy those rich kid guitar players who could afford high end instruments, but on the otherhand, i find consolation in thinking that what they can achieve with their PRS', Epiphones, and Fenders are also achievable in a Sta Mesa strat - given the right technique.  8-)
"drink life as it comes. straight no chaser"

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2006, 07:58:50 AM »
when i started my first guitar lesson i don't even own a single guitar. my parent's could not afford one at that time. so my brother in law handed me down a worn to the wood lumanog acoustic guitar, with a very terrible string action. it was so terrible, that if i press a chord down the 9th fret it would not sound correctly.......but nevertheless, i started learning the major scale using that worn out guitar. my fingers paid dearly to it. ang kapal ng kalyo ko sa kamay because of it.

i know i could've done better if i had the right equipments back then.....up until now i still envy the kids who would walk inside a music store with their parents, trying to buy the high end instruments for them.

but strangely enough, what motivated me to play the instrument further was the fact that i have less in terms of high end equipments. surely i do envy those rich kid guitar players who could afford high end instruments, but on the otherhand, i find consolation in thinking that what they can achieve with their PRS', Epiphones, and Fenders are also achievable in a Sta Mesa strat - given the right technique.  8-)

my experience was similar except my guitar action was so bad because the neck joint was badly glued. so, to remedy the problem, my friend who owned the guitar shoved a stack of Lego blocks between the heel of the neck and the opposite bracing to keep the thing from collapsing in on itself when you tuned to the proper pitch. it was really bad. really bad. I am doing pretty well now but, still, wish I had something better to start with.

Offline iamthewalrus

• Netizen Level
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2006, 12:07:11 PM »
wanna hear something funny i heard in a local music store?

a dad was guitar shopping with his son in '96 when mom and i were shopping for an amp (we came home with an 8040)

salesman: ito subukan nyo po... (hands the man a tele)
man plays a few chords...
father: ok ang tunog ah...
son: e pang rhythm yan e...
father: a ganun ba? eh hindi pwede yan... lead guitar tong anak ko e...

:-D :-D :-D

wag ka ganyan... nung bata ako at naguumpisa mag gitara, akala ko pag naka-tremolo bridge yung guitarista, lead yun... pag wala rythm.  :lol:

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2006, 12:29:18 PM »
Ah.. the expensive gear = skills argument. Don't want to add to the fuel.

As some have read, I didn't even get to touch a guitar before I was PO by the owner of PP.  I looked like I could afford a decent a guitar. I quoted a decent price but the reaction was:

"Ay sir, low end pala yon".

I know that it is not related to the topic but some how it is. I think my skills are good enough for the gear I have. I am working a tough job that gives me a little bit of extra cash. Christmas is coming up and I have a Christmas bonus. I want a PRS but have I have other responsibilities. So, I set myself a budget that is respectable. But I was shot down.

Anyway, I am off to Audiophile Filinvest. The PRS SE Tremonti in JB Southmall is a bit beyond my reach. Wish me luck.

BTW, how should I act so that I will be able to sound test a guitar. I know my lawyer barong didn't any respect in PP.

I am just griping... Sorry....  8-)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:31:17 PM by Letour »
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
Ah.. the expensive gear = skills argument. Don't want to add to the fuel.

As some have read, I didn't even get to touch a guitar before I was PO by the owner of PP.  I looked like I could afford a decent a guitar. I quoted a decent price but the reaction was:

"Ay sir, low end pala yon".

I know that it is not related to the topic but some how it is. I think my skills are good enough for the gear I have. I am working a tough job that gives me a little bit of extra cash. Christmas is coming up and I have a Christmas bonus. I want a PRS but have I have other responsibilities. So, I set myself a budget that is respectable. But I was shot down.

Anyway, I am off to Audiophile Filinvest. The PRS SE Tremonti in JB Southmall is a bit beyond my reach. Wish me luck.

BTW, how should I act so that I will be able to sound test a guitar. I know my lawyer barong didn't any respect in PP.

I am just griping... Sorry....  8-)

there's the rub. you don't get any respect from mose guitar stores attendants unless you flash some money around.  kahit ano pa suot mo, tingin nila sa yo either nanakawin mo gamit nila o sisirain. or basta ultimately, di ka rin bibili so istorbo ka lang sa oras.  although sometimes showing some level of (quasi-) expertise in gear gets their attention.

test ka lang ng test.  kaya nga may mga display unit para ma test mo.  wag ka na lang mag tanong, i research mo na lang sa net yung specs ng gitara. pag maganda ang tunog at abot-kaya kunin mo na.  :-D

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2006, 01:37:53 PM »
Anyway, back to topic:

A friend of mine bought a $5000 classical guitar 10 weeks after she first started playing guitar. She found it in a handmade instrument show and fell in love right on the spot. The guitar wasn't really for sale but the maker saw the bond between her and the guitar so he agreed to the sale. Now, 3 years later her skill level rivals those who perform at the college level.

Another story: I helped another friend of mine pick out a new guitar. She was an elderly woman and a beginner. She had the idea that $2000 will get her a guitar that wil make her happy. After a few test listens, she decided to throw her $2000 limit out the door and eventually settled with a $4500 guitar. She is so happy with the guitar that she plays it everyday even though she only plays beginner type pieces on it.

Not everybody has the resources to be like these people... and that shouldn't get anybody down. If you weren't able to start out on a good guitar, then what's keeping you from getting a good guitar now?

I would just like to add to Perf's points. In the U.S. (where I was part of the work force), $2K is 1 month salary for a bank teller at Bank of America. I knew a bank teller and he told how much he earned (gross nga pa). So, proportionately, the $4500 was 2 months worth of salary.

Relate it to the Phils. The John Mayer Strat is PHP110,000. MF sells the same at $1400 with free shipping.

If I were to spend 2 months salary on that guitar, it would mean that my U.S. job pays me $8400 a year. You can earn that working in Mcdo (U.S.)

Proportionately, I would have to earn PHP 660,000 a year here. I would have to own a Mcdo to earn that.

What is my point? - Employers don't pay enough for decent guys in the Phils so that we can spend hard earned money for GAS.
Dean of a law school

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »
Letour <- Good point

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2006, 11:33:40 PM »

I would just like to add to Perf's points. In the U.S. (where I was part of the work force), $2K is 1 month salary for a bank teller at Bank of America. I knew a bank teller and he told how much he earned (gross nga pa). So, proportionately, the $4500 was 2 months worth of salary.

Well, ibawas mo yung monthly expenses dun:

rent/mortgage (including insurance) - $800-1400
car payments (including gas and insurance)- $200-500
monthly expenses (food, utilities, etc) -$200 - 400

Di pa kasali yung kung ano pa mang utang na binabayaran (credit card, medical bills, etc) and the tax deductions. Basically yung point mo is di dapat kakain at papakabaon sa utang yung teller for 2 months. heheh

People always see the total salary as gross and think "Wow, ang laki!" But in the end after all the expenses and obligations are taken from it, one is not left with much.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2006, 12:41:48 AM »
I've been in the US for almost 15 years and it ain't all its cracked up to be as far as the earning power for merchandise, if anything, the margin of your comparison leaves out a ton such as those Perf mentioned. But if you live wisely within your means, sure, it works out pretty well but not by very much. Sure, you earn in dollars which seems a lot in Php terms, however, you really have to factor in paying to survive in a country that costs a lot of get around, costs a lot to be part of the system (taxes...taxes...taxes), and costs even more to break even and retire comfortably because SS doesn't even cover much unless you were earning a lot during your working years and shovelling money into a CD or foundation fund.

Afterall, unless you main job IS music, you really don't work solely to feed your GAS habit, and even full fledged musicians I know don't buy THAT much gear. They earn more money to eat better on tour because rest stop food doesn't exactly count towards guaranteeing a better bill of health when you are on tour for 3-6 months. So, point is that people have to eat and factoring your teller salary solely for a guitar is, well, weird unless you happen to want an edible guitar:) People work for other things bigger and more essential than GAS. At least I do. I may have dabbled in music for years and sidelined in it but it isn't my main profession because, lets face it, the US is competitive enough for musicians to actually "make it" here. One needs something more permanent to put food on the table.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2006, 12:43:00 PM »
Fine points you made my friends.

I think we should end it there. It is becoming OT na.
Dean of a law school

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2006, 01:30:49 PM »

Di pa kasali yung kung ano pa mang utang na binabayaran (credit card, medical bills, etc) and the tax deductions. Basically yung point mo is di dapat kakain at papakabaon sa utang yung teller for 2 months. heheh

People always see the total salary as gross and think "Wow, ang laki!" But in the end after all the expenses and obligations are taken from it, one is not left with much.
+20 million Dallllaaarrrrsss.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline jayzZEe

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2006, 03:48:34 PM »

Good point Perf. People always think about the gross salary. But in the end, it's how much you saved or invested that matters. Who do you think will be more wealthy in the long run? A yuppie executive who earns 50k/mo but only saves 5k, or a bank teller who earns 25k/mo but saves 10k?