hulika

Author Topic: can anybody here teach me the blues scale?  (Read 6280 times)

Offline robbbot

• Philmusicus Noobitus
can anybody here teach me the blues scale?
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »
sa guitar po :) thanks :) and teach me some finger exercises nadin po. :) thank you

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
Re: can anybody here teach me the blues scale?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 04:06:44 AM »
Here is an example of the pattern used:

C minor scale
--------------------
--------------------
--3-------5--------
--3---4---5--------
--3-----------6----
--------------------

For minor blues scale, its:
root-1 and 1/2step-1step-1/2step-1/2 step-1 and 1/2 step-1step

Or from the minor scale, you simply remove the 2nd and the 6th, and add a flat 5th.

Are you familiar with the major and minor scale, and how they are interconnected with one another? Here's an exercise: map out the entire C minor scale in all of the fretboard, then come up with some new patterns for you.

And listen to blues music more often - it's more of melodies than theories. I know a few things about blues, and I know that it started from the slaves without any musical education, and got passed on to other uneducated slaves. It could also pass on to you without any education.  But then again, education is a powerful tool (and a destructive one too).  :-D

Shouldn't this be in the music school thread? I know that a lot of rock/metal guitarist knows a thing or two about blues too. Just wondering. :)

Hope this helps! :)

Offline robbbot

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 02:01:12 AM »
yes thanks sir.. :) can u give me some blues na band na i could start with? :)

Offline kdione01

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:27:24 AM »
oh wow... where do we start?  :-D

masarap nyan magsimula ka sa king of blues himself... mr. BB king.. .blues at its purest. ganda pagpraktisan yung mga major / minor scales sa mga chord progressions nya. tapos kunin mo yung mga licks nya... konting notes lang gamit nya but it tastes sooooo sweeet

tapos kung gusto mo medyo rock inflected hanapin mo yung mga 70's - 80's clapton... tapos move on to stevie ray vaughan... then some buddy guy... of course don't forget jimi hendrix... a bit of robert cray, albert collins, albert king.... oh my the list goes on!!

Offline robbbot

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 12:49:41 PM »
wow thank you so much sirs :) puede ipasok ang blues na scale sa reggae.. right? :) puede nga ba? hehe

Offline rjtorres

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »
wow thank you so much sirs :) puede ipasok ang blues na scale sa reggae.. right? :) puede nga ba? hehe

Yes, I think the intention is not to think about what scales you are going to use given a particular genre - I think it limits the possibilities. To start off pwede na yun, pero mas maganda isipin na sa kahit anong genre you can choose to think of any melody you want when doing licks/solo/improvisation - meaning any scale can be used dapat.

Anyway, I'm fond of having a blues-like melody sa song na "Jamming", whenever I'm jamming with friends. :)

Offline robyhenson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:31:10 AM »
one simple way to explain it is that, it came from a pentatonic scale. but added note or "blues" in the middle of the 2nd and the 3rd (pentatonic scale) of a specific key.

about pentatonic, you'll just need to remove the the 4th and 7th in a major scale or in a key.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »
i can't add anything to what's been said coz the guys who responded have preety good suggestions.

yes i agree, dont limit yourself to the blues as the blues can be found in most genres today anyway.

john mayer has taken the bluesy style of playing guitar(rhythm not just lead) to the format of his songs that seem to be radio friendly...but not what i would really classify as pop.

no, john mayer's song are not your standard I-IV-V blues tunes. not pop either, but it has some good feel to it.

if john mayer's not your cup of tea. sa lokal...manood ka sa blue rats, jun lopito. any band where kakoi legaspi might be playin. y know para lang maexpose ka pa sa blues.

to the threadstarter... pag aralan mo din ang vibrato sa gitara. mas mature ang dating mo kung yan ang matutunan mo ng maaga.

mabuhay tayong mga bluesero sa philmusic!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline dekturrr

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
tanong lang po, ano po ba mga chord progressions sa blues? same din ba ng jazz blues? or yung mga 2-5-1 progressions?
Pr. 23:23a

Buy the truth and do not sell it

william251082

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:39:37 PM »
Make melodies out of it. Transcribe blues and funk solo's.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 05:46:08 PM »
here's the complete list of scales:
www.mearstech.com

Offline dekturrr

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:01:35 AM »
may question po...
di ba kapag key of C ka, then you must use the A blues scale? or its relative minor?
if key of G then E blues scale?
then how come in the 12 bar blues progression
I,IV,I,I
IV,IV,I,I
V,IV,I,V,
I=C7,
IV=F7,
V=G7
baket C blues scale ang ginamit? why not the A blues scale?
please enlighten
thanks

william251082

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 07:04:12 AM »
may question po...
di ba kapag key of C ka, then you must use the A blues scale? or its relative minor?
if key of G then E blues scale?
then how come in the 12 bar blues progression
I,IV,I,I
IV,IV,I,I
V,IV,I,V,
I=C7,
IV=F7,
V=G7
baket C blues scale ang ginamit? why not the A blues scale?
please enlighten
thanks
Mahabang explanation...
ok din ang am pent kasi c major pent yun eh
Oks ang c blues scale dahil dominant 7th yung chord, lahat ng note tinatangap nun, as long as you have good melodies, listen for yourself.
ok din gumawa ka ng melody using chord tones.

Use your ears more.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
here, click on this:

itchybrain

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »

Rob! Sa youtube at guitar sites daming vids ng blues lessons, 'tol. like this one:

http://vanderbilly.com/

Dami rin dito sa PM na magaling: Deltaslim, Psychic Sushi, Bluejem, Jmorrero, Bluenote Johnboy, Aya Yuson, Ibanezman, El Dorko, Choxter.. Tara paturo tayo!  :-D (teka...si Blue Buddha rin pala) :-D

Tapos JAM tayo!  :-D

itchybrain

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »

And this one too:

Offline dekturrr

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »
may nadiskubre po akong tunog sa keyboard, sa tingin nio ba ok na tunog ito?

key of D

" Em7,  F#m7, GM7, E/G#, AM7, Bbdim7, Bm7, then C#dim, then back to D."

nadiskubre ko lang yan dahil gusto ko sunod sunodin yung bass line from Em pataas hanggang D.

wala po akong pinag gayahan nian. parang "ting (light bulb)" lang sa isip ko.

palagay nio po?
what are your thoughts?

blues ba yun? or jazz?

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 07:34:23 PM »
ang ma-suggest ko lang after learning your blues scale

Teh Bendz!

and after that, post youtube vids of yourself doing some nasty blues licks...make us drool with your newfound weapon of face destruction...
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
lahat ng suggest dito agree ako lahat men... try mo makinig or manood ng blues music... try mo figure out..familiarize..kung pano nila naapapatunog yung gusto mo rin gawin or para matuto ka.. ako self taught ako men... after ko ma alam yung scales minor at major..try ko na lang mkinig at manood..ganun agn ginawa ko.. kapag may isang gusto akong rifff or lick.. paulit ulitin mo yung song para ma familiarize ka...tas try mo sabayan yung song.. i jam mo..figure out ko kung pano ginawa.. unti unti lang.. step by step ikanga...

tas try mo makinig sa mga old blues..start ka sa 3kings.. clapton..alman..jam with allman songs.. yan ang tip ko sayo men..madami ka matutunan sa allman bros. hwag mo pagsasabi yan ha? atin atin lang yan..jowk.hehehehhehe... :-D

ako baliktad men..nauna saken ang rakenrol bago blues..
pag gusto mo talaga matuto.determinasyon lang men....

o ayan men start ka na... :mrgreen:

Offline vendorboy

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
more tips pa in learning blues, thanks!!!

Offline mannylou

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:26 AM »
Blues music mostly is about phrasing, contour, guitar squealing. Always remember that! Play slow and sticky and you'll see the beauty of it.

Offline neicon27

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
Blues music mostly is about phrasing, contour, guitar squealing. Always remember that! Play slow and sticky and you'll see the beauty of it.

Sir Mannylou, 

ano po yung contour?  (pardon my ignorance  :-))
"Learn the rules before you break them.  That way you'd know if your breaking them right."

Offline Kalspa55

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »
Learn the pentatonic scale and add a blue note...Play around with the pentatonic scale major and minor. Since the blues comes from the heart its almost impossible to tackle it by reading music. Also bending notes is a must. Most blues comes from the 12 bar system. The is a turn around which is sort of like a bridge that brings you back to the repeat is essential. All I can say is once you get it down then the sky is the limit. Many time when I play the blues it comes without me even knowing what I just played but I know it is right because everything fits in the song right....If you have mastered the metal scales then blues  will be kind of unnatural for you but if you study 70's rock or even 60's rock then chances are that you already have the blues scale already memorized....Just remember that there was a blues song called "The blues just had a baby and they called it rock and roll" So it is the foundation for the classic rock songs. Led Zepplin is a classic example how they started playing the blues and it developed into Rock. Hotel California is another example of the lead being a masterpeice of the pentatonic scale or for us older types a modified blues scale. I will get many critics challenging what I have just said because it cuts into their expertise and want this thing to remain a mystery, but I am from the old school of keeping it simple stupid and it doesn't have to be a mystery,,,just put on some BB King, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaugn or even Gary Moore and follow along using the pentatonic scale and you will discover that matter what the music theorists call this blues scale you will find that it all fits in and you'll be jamming blues before you know it.
kalspa