hulika

Author Topic: NGD - Fender AVRI 62 Telecaster - Pawnshop Rescue  (Read 4310 times)

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
NGD - Fender AVRI 62 Telecaster - Pawnshop Rescue
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
This came as a surprise in the form of a “pawnshop rescue”. It was listed for 1350AuD (950usd). I know that is dirt cheap for a rare, sought after and discontinued model. Even in australian market, it is easily 2500aud (1700usd) used.

I can buy the list price with cash but I have an american pro maple neck that Im not bonding with. So I Had to act quickly, and I went back after a few hours to trade my American Pro tele for it, because this is my ultimate dream of a Telecaster. I dont even care if its not mint. This is it for me. No custom shop, no suhr, nothing else will do it for me. I want this guitar.

I brought my Minty american pro tele. They did a bit of checking the internet for authenticity, but I have my receipt with me and all the case candies, Then they said, They cannot let it go without cash, of course, pawnshops, so I need to add 350usd for it. I can still afford it. Considering if I sell the AmPro, i wont be able to get that deal from someone who knows what it is. My wife did what she does best. Her charms are absolutely wonderful and tried to work it down. In the end, they got my ampro, case, with all case candies plus 280usd for this.

Finally, an American Vintage 62 Custom Telecaster in Tri-Sunburst Double-Bound Body in my hands. That neck is to die for. Years of neglect and gunk did its thing, still even had the plastic on the pickguard that left a gooey sticky substance.

Theres lots of hairline scratches and some cleaning scratches that left deep lines on the finish. I dont really mind. I can finally play it without babying it and the way it meant to be played.

Ive gone from Squier to MIM, to MIA to partscaster, always the 62 as the inspiration. And now I have it. Cant be any happier to end my year. Dreams do come true. After 8 years to be exact.

You don't choose the guitar, it chooses you.

If at any point in time you cannot afford a particular guitar, don't play it. If it chooses you, you have to buy it.  If you simply can't beg, steal, or borrow, you will eventually die of a broken heart..

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
Re: NGD - Fender AVRI 62 Telecaster - Pawnshop Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:06 PM »
More photos;

Didnt notice that the case latches still have plastic on them. For a guitar that has 2004 dates on the neck, I’m not sure if this has been out of the house or played even.

Neck has a super nice amber tint. The neck tint on the Squier CV60 is my favorite tint, but this one has the best I’ve ever seen.

An the unused bridge plate cover. Looks really delicious with it on, but who leaves them on while playing??

After some cleaning, took off the strings and put 11’s, did my initial set up (final tweaks will be done by my luthier), adjusted the truss rod to accommodate 11’s, and viola. The guitar I will take to my grave if my son doesnt take up guitar.

PS its the most beautiful tricolor sunburst I’ve seen so far.

If at any point in time you cannot afford a particular guitar, don't play it. If it chooses you, you have to buy it.  If you simply can't beg, steal, or borrow, you will eventually die of a broken heart..

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »
Congrats bro! That's one beautiful piece.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
dude that is drool worthy. congrats. plays and sounds like a dream i suppose.
Also...props to your photography skills.  :)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline rr

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 04:01:28 PM »
nice score sir!
reference: bossingboss,sheepsmellslikeseashells,nickson,saturn/return,xelly,pers,glassisback,drahcirnna24 and many more =)

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 04:19:39 PM »
Score! Congrats on the new guitar, man!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
I wish we had guitars in pawnshops here in PH, too.  :lol:

That's a lovely 62!  :drool:

Offline ryaneth

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 04:36:07 AM »
WoW!!! My kind of guitar and color. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
Congrats bro! That's one beautiful piece.

It is.. but my honest opinion? Squier CVC nails this color.. and MIJ TL62 nails the quality.. This just have the charm of a US made Reissue..

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
dude that is drool worthy. congrats. plays and sounds like a dream i suppose.
Also...props to your photography skills.  :)

Thanks bro.. its been a 10-year chase.. now I'm chasing another windmill.. it never ends. Gas is real people.

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 02:16:01 PM »
Score! Congrats on the new guitar, man!

nice score sir!

WoW!!! My kind of guitar and color. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

thanks guys!

It is my dream guitar.. Ive always loved a double bound, tri sunburst, rosewood board maple neck tele.. Squier CVC nails this color exactly..

Offline itsallintheblues

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
I wish we had guitars in pawnshops here in PH, too.  :lol:

That's a lovely 62!  :drool:

Thanks man.. last weekend I went back to street lined with pawnshops where I got this from.. I visited the pawnshop I got this tele from again, but nothing interesting...

but the next store had something that caught my eye, hiding in plain sight.. and on sale... the store owner wanted to get rid of it and he further reduced the price down to 4k php... 4K PHP.. come on.. I bought it right then and there..

Vox Pathfinder 15R.. Perfect tele tones with the 62.. It was perfect timing as I sold off a few high watt tube amps (Deluxe Reverb, AC30) because I cant really play at home with those volumes and I was amp less.. so now I have a perfect bedroom amp