hulika

Author Topic: Why I think we're left behind in the world of recording...  (Read 14730 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I think we're left behind in the world of recording...
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2006, 07:26:39 AM »
sad. if that is the case, then I would say that your friend was gyped out of the money he gave to the recording process. but was he happy with the result? maybe the reason why he didn't complain was because he was happy with the outcome? also, if he had an active role in the recording process as far as mixing and recording stuff, maybe he was also responsible for the resulting sound? my point is, yes, you can't generalize because I have worked in a lot of different big studios that cater to small bands as well as big ones like Bruce Springsteen and Linkin Park, and in each case, the resulting sound for the smaller indie bands (local and national) was great - whether or not they used a famous producer and mixer versus the house engineer.

these days, most commercial studios have pretty much the same stuff so even though I've never been to metal works, I am sure they have your basic run of the mill equipment that every studio running a business should have. but some special studios are special like Abbey Road or Experience where they have historic consoles and equipment that were used by very influential album producers in the past. to use those, you would need some very special people to work on your project, and have a very high profile label backing you up because they do not come cheap, even for commercially signed bands.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline nongx

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »
Guys, its all about politics in music business. They promoting their technology as well.
In my opinion, used what you have. One day your songs will gona  hit.
People have deferent taste and remember the old days they record in analog. How come, we are now on digital recording?

Originality, creative, patience and learn is the key to success.

Regards
nongx

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2006, 09:51:21 AM »
Why digital means over analog? You're kidding me... Obviously you have not worked in a full analog setup with full blown 2" tape and everything that that goes with the pain in the @$$ (but heavenly sounding) analog approach. Do you KNOW how much of a pain in the @$$ it is to set delay times, match compression values with mismatched pieces of gear, splice audio, bounce audio, and record without the freedom of going back to edit something without redoing an entire session's worth of audio takes?? Do you know how much time you SAVE by just looking at a waveform on screen versus scrubbing a piece of tape back and forth to find the exact piece of audio you want to edit, splice or overdub?? Well, I have, and let me tell you this as an observation: by working with something as limited in resources as an analog setup, I thank the geniuses of audio R&D by developing the tools that people get on regular sequencers nowadays. Whatever it is you get "standard" in DAW sequencers are so easy to take for granted until your instructor tells you to work with nothing more than magnetic tape and a bunch of huge honkin' machines that take up mammoth amounts of space....

Originiality counts as a lot but don't bash modern developments until you've been stuck (intentionally) with pieces of old analog gear and know what a godsend it is to work with newer, more helpful mods to music production equipment.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2006, 10:32:04 AM »
Your post reminded me of my first attempt at recording. Double deck tape recorder, mic input, acoustic guitar, a Yamaha Portasound, a cheap condenser mic, and lots of guts... voila!

Talk about overdubbing :D
Surf's Up!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2006, 11:46:08 AM »
indeed. my foray into recording was similar but it would take me a few years later to actually appreciate the advances that are made available to consumer musicians because, really, people back in the day that wanted to record "demo quality" audio had to book studio time. nowadays, doing that is as easy as getting a piece of software, investing in a good interface, some mics, and a bit of time to learn the gear. you can imagine my dismay when I was told my my former instructor during an audio engineering class to read up on scrubbing audio and editing using reel to reels and bouncing audio on friggin huge 4 track tape machines! I was like,"You have got to be kidding me...they sound great but where's my DAW environment?!?" The guy looked at me and smirked,"You gotta start RAW, baby, only then can you appreciate the power of seeing your waveforms and working with it using a mouse and interface."

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2006, 12:02:28 PM »
... The guy looked at me and smirked,"You gotta start RAW, baby, only then can you appreciate the power of seeing your waveforms and working with it using a mouse and interface."

So true. Try to imagine a 'copy-and-paste' procedure with tape! (The boffins over at BBC did master the technique, though.)
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2006, 11:53:59 AM »
YES...  working with analog tape is ok..but i remember on one occassion when we have to go back on song #1 from song #8..  :evil:.. also that .." please rewind that from the top" is gone on digital recording.. also i heard that " it would be nice if  there is "cut n paste" for this performance.. :mrgreen:
Music is art in sound...