hulika

Author Topic: Easy DIY: How to Make Your Pickups a Little Bit Hotter  (Read 2391 times)

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
Easy DIY: How to Make Your Pickups a Little Bit Hotter
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »
Works with heavily potted pickups (DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, etc...) especially low output PAF type humbuckers.

What you will need is a hair dryer.  :-D

Steps - Quick method

- Set the hair dryer to the hottest setting.
- Lay guitar electric guitar flat (pickups facing the ceiling) then heat up the pickups for a minute or two. Ingat ingat lang at wag masyadong mainit baka masira yung pickups..
- Let the pickups cool down

Some of the excess wax used to pot the pickups from microphonic feedback should melt and settle to the pickup's baseplate. The pickups will not be totally unpotted kaya do not worry much about feedback when playing in gigs.

Kung gusto nyo ng proof na nagbago nga yung impedance ng pickups, pwede nyo gawin yung long method pero this time kelangan nyo ng ohmmeter set to 20k ohms at tissue paper

Steps - Long method

- disassemble the guitar, remove the pickups
- measure the impedance of the pickups by probing the ground and hot wires
- lay the pickup flat, heat it up with a hair dryer
- wipe excess wax with tissue paper
- measure the impedance again (measurement should increase 1-2k ohms)
- assemble guitar

I had some success with it on some of my pickups. For pickups with nickel covers, kelangan tanggalin yung cover by removing the solder sa likod ng baseplate.

After this method, you should hear your guitar's sound "open up".

You're welcome. :-D

« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:19:48 PM by randymarsh »
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Easy DIY: How to Make Your Pickups a Little Bit Hotter
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:21:25 PM »
Nice info. Thanks.
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:55:20 PM »
oohhhhhhh
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 06:01:21 AM »
any explanation how heating the potting increases impedance ? btw to be technical about it you cannot measure impedance with an ohmeter.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline BlackandGoldLP

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:24:37 AM »
as far as i know, this method would only change the reading on the pickups temporarily. higher temperature=higher reading. pickups are sensitive to temperature change. even your body heat when you touch the coils would slightly affect the reading. heating the coils with a hair dryer would drastically increase the reading but at room temperature it would take a while for the coils to cool down(maybe overnight) even if its cool to touch, it might still be warm on the inner coil. also when soldering/changing pickups, it would be wise to leave the guitar for a few hours to hear the true tone of the pup. plugging it in just after soldering would have a slightly different tone and the pup sounds a bit "hotter". just my experience.