hulika

Author Topic: The thing about Fernandes guitars  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Larukunai

• Veteran Member
The thing about Fernandes guitars
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:37:16 PM »
This thread is for all of those fernandes fanatics, I just wanna know what made you like this fernandes engineering.

In my case I really like the tone and the feel of Its fretboard feel na feel ko ang oriental feel.

MAGANDA DIN SANA MGA TOL KUNG LAGYAN NA DIN NATIN NG MGA PICS NG ATING FERNANDES GEARS
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:44:08 PM by Larukunai »
J-Rock Guitarist
Gear: Fernandes FGZ-400
Kisetsu wa odayaka ni owari o tsugeta ne Iro do rareta kioku ni yosete Sayonara     Ai o kureta ano hito wa Kono hitomi ni yurameiteita.......

Offline dark_minister

• Veteran Member
Re: The thing about Fernandes guitars
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:26:55 PM »
the first time i held a fernandes was a Dragonfly model with sustainers... the sustainers was so addictive, pups sounds good, the fretboard feel is quite unique... will add other comments after i get my hands on another fernandes guitar (which is very very soon,  :lol:)...
Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project (SSH config strat), LTD EC-401, Max Rufo Custom 7 String, Line 6 Spider IV 150, Planet Waves Cables

References: rschua, coffee, cleuxss08, BossingBoss, vindalena

Offline Larukunai

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:49:01 PM »
the first time i held a fernandes was a Dragonfly model with sustainers... the sustainers was so addictive, pups sounds good, the fretboard feel is quite unique... will add other comments after i get my hands on another fernandes guitar (which is very very soon,  :lol:)...

rock on dude!
J-Rock Guitarist
Kisetsu wa odayaka ni owari o tsugeta ne Iro do rareta kioku ni yosete Sayonara     Ai o kureta ano hito wa Kono hitomi ni yurameiteita.......

Offline sd8450

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »
+1 to the above. I have a Yamaha strat-like guitar (my avatar) and a classical guitar but I find that I play my fernandes sustainer guitar more. It is fun to play, you get a voice-like sustaining sound at bedroom sound level. You can also make the guitar wail (feedback) anytime you feel like without bringing down the house :-D With just my overdrive and reverb I can fake my favorite santana/gary moore licks. No need to use my noisy cs3 and ds2. I only wish I can play vai's whispering a prayer as good as that Alejandro Regal guy on youtube :mrgreen:
Maybe one should start a thread for posting pics and info on sustainer equipped guitars if there is none started yet. There may be a number of fans for the sustainer system in this forum :-D
Vintage and Not-So Vintage Amps
http://vintageguitaramps.blogspot.com/

Offline ninejuicyjulius

• Banned from AGT
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »
aling mga tindahan merong fernandes?
Ows? Di nga?

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »
Recently acquired a very old Burny Flying V. Relic'd na talaga. comparing it to my Epiphone Korina Flying V, I'd say the stock alnico pickups of the Epi beat the Burny but then again it was stock ibanez's that were installed in the Burny...I have the orig pickups and will try to get put them back.
Fit, Finish and Feel? Looks like an old Gibby Cream V, the feel of the neck and board is actually rounder and larger in radius compared to the epi V, which I like a bit more (that's why I opted to go for a V-Neck strat, I want fat necks hehe) and the weight for a mahogany bodied and necked guitar isn't so bad, my Epi V is Korina body with mahogany neck and it's only a few pounds lighter in my estimate.
overall, the Burny V looks, feels, and plays good. just need to find good pickups for it. oh and btw, I'll put a bigsby B50 on it, yeah! :wink: :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:02:09 AM by fraudulentzodiac »

Offline Larukunai

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:19 AM »

yun din tol ang problem ko eh ala me alam na fernandes store d2 eh sa forums lang me nakakuha the only reason why I discovered the power of of this guitar is from my Idol he is Ken Kitamura from japan.
J-Rock Guitarist

Offline bazooka_ju

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 09:49:36 AM »
My first decent electric guitar was a black fernades strat type guitar. Galing sa Classifieds dito hehe! OK yung sound and playability nya. Dinala ko sa elegee shop for fret levelling and set-up ayos na ayos ang kinalabasan! fell in-love with the guitar the second time around hehe!

Offline omen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 10:01:09 AM »
abang klang sa classifieds minsan meron or try mo pm si chromeboy dami un alam ng fernandes.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

none that i know of. but there are some that pop up at the calssifieds:guitars section. check what micsis is selling. loaded with a trs trem and an fsk101 sustainer kit.

for me, got my fernandes usa custom early 06. yes. very very addicting. mine has a trs "lo pro" and has an fsk401 sustainer kit(has the mix feature - feedback adn sustainer at the same time).  24 frets so its perfect for thos ehigh notes. guitar is now with jun castro for setup.

IMO, i really good gutar. Very affordable and the sustainer kits are really useful. Upgrades? Bridge pup probably. Still looking for a good one. Anybody selling an EMG 81?
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline dark_minister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 11:24:09 AM »
i just recently got a new Fernandes guitar which is a Fernandes The Function Explorer... no sustainers though... but i tested its tone when i got home (coz i never had the chance to test it with the seller coz i came late coz of some bumps along the road...)... plugged it in a Boss ME-30 multi, then to my amp... first thing i noticed is that the neck pup has a rich tone, good for jazz runs... then i tried switching to my metal patch and boom... i was blown away on how it sounded on the bridge pup... its a little bright but has that crunch and grit that i was looking for... i dont know but lately, i've been addicted to japan made guitars specially Fernandes and Grass Roots... but, i havent tried a Grass Roots guitar yet, just the bass... i have a Grass Roots bass at home and when everytime we use it on gigs before, we get lots of positive comments on how the bass sounded... i think im stuck with japanese made guitars 'coz my first one was also japanese made which is Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project... a strat-type guitar yet can manage to give me that angry metal tone.... but im thinking of replacing the bridge pup of my explorer with an EMG 85... anybody selling one?  :-D
Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project (SSH config strat), LTD EC-401, Max Rufo Custom 7 String, Line 6 Spider IV 150, Planet Waves Cables

References: rschua, coffee, cleuxss08, BossingBoss, vindalena

Offline sd8450

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
none that i know of. but there are some that pop up at the calssifieds:guitars section. check what micsis is selling. loaded with a trs trem and an fsk101 sustainer kit.
+1 check what micsis is selling if you are looking for a guitar w sustainer, it is probably sometime in Nov so you have to search back.
Sir Turi, IIRC the sustainer in micsis fernandes guitar is fsk401 :-)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 11:45:08 PM »
+1 check what micsis is selling if you are looking for a guitar w sustainer, it is probably sometime in Nov so you have to search back.
Sir Turi, IIRC the sustainer in micsis fernandes guitar is fsk401 :-)

whoops. yeah. forgot i posted that also for info. my bad. yaeh fsk401. [/b] [/color]
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline sd8450

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »

for me, got my fernandes usa custom early 06. yes. very very addicting. mine has a trs "lo pro" and has an fsk401 sustainer kit(has the mix feature - feedback adn sustainer at the same time).  24 frets so its perfect for thos ehigh notes. guitar is now with jun castro for setup.

Sir Turi, I've seen the picture of your very nice black usa custom dragonfly (sa multiply.com). I never experienced having any of my guitar set-up by a pro. In this particular instance (your dragonfly guitar) I'm curious kung ano specifically ang involved na work and how much usually ang fee (range if u like) for such service. Thanks for sharing. :-D

Offline dssgtr

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 09:39:25 PM »
Got a good deal on this monterey on ebay.   I like the sustainer a lot.

Offline nhojie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 07:47:12 AM »
nice!
\\\\\\\"watch a man play for an hour and u can learn more about him than in talking to him for a year\\\\\\\"-PLATO

Offline eugene3ph

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »
Got a good deal on this monterey on ebay.   I like the sustainer a lot.

wahhh.... nakakasilaw.... pagamit ng gitara mo bukas....

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 10:33:36 AM »
Sir Turi, I've seen the picture of your very nice black usa custom dragonfly (sa multiply.com). I never experienced having any of my guitar set-up by a pro. In this particular instance (your dragonfly guitar) I'm curious kung ano specifically ang involved na work and how much usually ang fee (range if u like) for such service. Thanks for sharing. :-D

2.5k on setup with jun castro, intonation, action, fret leveling, trem system mod(pull now is waaaay farther). now tuned in 1/2 down then 6th dropped 1 whole.

Offline sd8450

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:29:01 AM »
2.5k on setup with jun castro, intonation, action, fret leveling, trem system mod(pull now is waaaay farther). now tuned in 1/2 down then 6th dropped 1 whole.
Sir Turi, thanks a lot for the info! :-) You must be using a thick-gauged string. I tried using 10s on a similar guitar pero yumuko sobra yung floyd towards the neck. I then changed the string to #9 and now almost level na ang floyd with the body. There's only about 2-3 deg na angat yung floyd towards the back. :-)

Got a good deal on this monterey on ebay.   I like the sustainer a lot.
:-o Nice guitar!! 

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Fernandes guitars are criminally underrated.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 08:26:56 AM »

I've had mine for about 7 years now. She's an early 90s model. '92 if we would base it on the number on the neck stamp but there's no solid info on that.

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:36:19 AM »
I owned a sustainer before but sold it because of the bridge (fixed bridge fanatic) after that I bought my first bass dito sa classifieds. it was a frb 60 - revolver 4 string. up to date and after 4 bass guitars, it's still the best sounding bass i ever got. yung mga lumang fernandes super ganda ng tunog and quality, but the new stuff isnt made like that no more.

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
I've had mine for about 7 years now. She's an early 90s model. '92 if we would base it on the number on the neck stamp but there's no solid info on that.

Oh my god. You and Chino seem to score the best deals on these Japan guitars (Chino's Greco Firebird being the other one).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:41 PM »

Oh my god. You and Chino seem to score the best deals on these Japan guitars (Chino's Greco Firebird being the other one).

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 03:12:21 AM »

Or maybe Ibanez guitars are more criminally overrated... LOL which makes Fernandes look underrated.

Sorry to say but both brands cannot seem to get hiyaw at the level that I am looking for.  There are a sprinkle but nothing on the level of US made guitars.