hulika

Author Topic: Fuzz Freaks arise!  (Read 272714 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Fuzz Freaks arise!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 04:17:35 AM »
lunch time i was able to try a washburn fuzz pedal it had the scar face type design,

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
if you're into it, here's a tip. make it a bit modern sounding. think triangle muff with bottom end balls.

i build pedals to try something new sa buhay. maiba naman :D

and no, i dont plan to engage in selling units. just wanted to understand what makes them tick. and they good thing they dont (read: motorboating) :D
---------------------------------

let the Fuzz GAS begin!

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 11:51:25 AM »
i build pedals to try something new sa buhay. maiba naman :D

and no, i dont plan to engage in selling units. just wanted to understand what makes them tick. and they good thing they dont (read: motorboating) :D
---------------------------------

let the Fuzz GAS begin!

good good. let me know when you've created something knew. and if you'd let me try them out. painted or not. im intersted in the toanz! :lol:
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »
definitely hindi pa sa ngayon. i build them to satisfy me. Build GAS, if there is such a word :D pag mejo maluwag-luwag na ko at nahihilot ko na yung supplier namin dito try ko mag-experiment ng iba-ibang component values and some workaround sa mga existing circuits.

pero siyempre, walang katapusang pag-aaral ito. i'll build my staple stomps muna then plunge nako to more DIY (ambisyosong DIY) stuff, and tweak tweak :)

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »
I once had these in one house at one time.

-zvex fuzzfactory
-fromunda big cheese clone (i miss this one)
-zoom ultrafuzz (is with a friend at the moment)
-lovepedal fuzz50 (on a good day it rocks, siguro mas malupit na tunog ngayon dahil palit na ako ng pick-ups sa GLP.
-skreddy zero

Only 3 remain.

A smiley fuzzface clone would be nice in the future 8-)

Hey pallas! Sold the fromunda, but now it is back with me!
Almost sold the Fuzz50, but chose to retain it, and now has a permanent
place in my pedal board.

Stacking it with the rat, can get me Wilco fuzz tones, ala the theologians solo! Yes!

The Fromunda is great also for Wilco's I'm the one who loves you and Neil Young Riffs!

I have a fulltone 69 now but i am selling it.  :)

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »
definitely hindi pa sa ngayon. i build them to satisfy me. Build GAS, if there is such a word :D pag mejo maluwag-luwag na ko at nahihilot ko na yung supplier namin dito try ko mag-experiment ng iba-ibang component values and some workaround sa mga existing circuits.

pero siyempre, walang katapusang pag-aaral ito. i'll build my staple stomps muna then plunge nako to more DIY (ambisyosong DIY) stuff, and tweak tweak :)

basta fuzz na gawa mo aabangan ko yan. hehe. if you need other ideas, my number is on the link on my sig below.  :lol:
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:22 PM »
lunch time i was able to try a washburn fuzz pedal it had the scar face type design,

got a link?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 02:23:27 AM »
got a link?

where to buy it? its a small mom and popstor they sell it for 18usd for that thing, i was told that it sounded like a sh.it, but i think it was more like a po.opstain, if you really want it i can go grab it for you

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 04:03:24 AM »
where to buy it? its a small mom and popstor they sell it for 18usd for that thing, i was told that it sounded like a sh.it, but i think it was more like a po.opstain, if you really want it i can go grab it for you

that works.  :-D maybe then can even sell it for less. lulz.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 05:50:02 AM »
that works.  :-D maybe then can even sell it for less. lulz.

ill call to see if its still there, there was only one along with a washburn soloist

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
basta fuzz na gawa mo aabangan ko yan. hehe. if you need other ideas, my number is on the link on my sig below.  :lol:

hehe, bahala na sir. ang tinatarget ko ngayon is isa pang Tonebender MK2 Pro using NPN silicon trannies naman (first one was PNP Germs, negative ground) and i will house both in one enclosure. para i have choices. convenient pa!

---------------------

sir JMorrero does build fuzz pedals too which are based on classic circuits and some mods.

and of course Lipton and Basic :D

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:07 AM »
60's? 70's? modern? how's the bottom end? what gear did you use? really curious.

sir JMorrero does build fuzz pedals too which are based on classic circuits and some mods.

and of course Lipton and Basic :D

noob with details, germanium  :lol:
love the fuzz sound, gear? he's bachus LP and a Roland cube30  :lol:

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 11:24:06 AM »
germanium refers to the kind of transistor used. meron din kasing silicon (so far eto lang yung alam ko :D)

built a tonebender silicon naman (first one was germanium) and sa lahat ng nabuo ko ito yung umandar right away (the six others needed a little retouch of the solder connections or some baliktad na orientation ng caps; i must be improving :D)

what can i say? it has the same Tbender rasp like the germ version. i modified the board a bit para kasya pag horizontal sa 1290NS. pero baka pagsamahin ko na lang yung germ at silicon TBenders sa isang malaki-laking enclosure.

------------

finished buidling din a FF sili-clone. ibang-iba dun sa nauna kong nagawa. this new one cuts bass and parang ma-mids, while yung earlier build ko is bass-y. in fact, i can use the 1st FF for bass. yung second one hindi pwede, prang mababa yung output pag bass, pero ok naman yung volume pag sa guitar ko ginamit.

and may external bias pot (20k linear) yung new FF clone. sweet spot is about 3pm, 4-5 gives you more output/cleaner headroom. tweak it to about 12-10am for some gated/stutter fun.
---------------------

marami pa kong dapat matutunan.

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
germanium refers to the kind of transistor used. meron din kasing silicon (so far eto lang yung alam ko :D)

built a tonebender silicon naman (first one was germanium) and sa lahat ng nabuo ko ito yung umandar right away (the six others needed a little retouch of the solder connections or some baliktad na orientation ng caps; i must be improving :D)

what can i say? it has the same Tbender rasp like the germ version. i modified the board a bit para kasya pag horizontal sa 1290NS. pero baka pagsamahin ko na lang yung germ at silicon TBenders sa isang malaki-laking enclosure.

------------

finished buidling din a FF sili-clone. ibang-iba dun sa nauna kong nagawa. this new one cuts bass and parang ma-mids, while yung earlier build ko is bass-y. in fact, i can use the 1st FF for bass. yung second one hindi pwede, prang mababa yung output pag bass, pero ok naman yung volume pag sa guitar ko ginamit.

and may external bias pot (20k linear) yung new FF clone. sweet spot is about 3pm, 4-5 gives you more output/cleaner headroom. tweak it to about 12-10am for some gated/stutter fun.
---------------------

marami pa kong dapat matutunan.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:08 PM »
I really like the sound of fuzz, but I haven't tried one for myself. I'm thinking of buying one, after I acquire all the 'basics' that I need (just one OD left to go. haha).

Bes fuzz, IMO, that I heard - Lovepedal 200lbs. of Tone

Na-appreciate ko ang fuzz because of Eric Johnson.. Jimi Hendrix came afterwards. I know, I know, baliktad.  :lol:

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
I really like the sound of fuzz, but I haven't tried one for myself. I'm thinking of buying one, after I acquire all the 'basics' that I need (just one OD left to go. haha).

Bes fuzz, IMO, that I heard - Lovepedal 200lbs. of Tone

Na-appreciate ko ang fuzz because of Eric Johnson.. Jimi Hendrix came afterwards. I know, I know, baliktad.  :lol:

Lucky you...there's one on sale ata...from micsis...ehehhehe

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 03:03:42 AM »
ill call to see if its still there, there was only one along with a washburn soloist

yebah!

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
matanong lang guys, any of you opened up any of your boutique fuzz faces or similar? curious lang ako kung ano caps gamit sa output because i changed mine from metal film cap to ceramic disc, galing sa isang lumang radio na sira na, kinahoy ko lang yung piyesa hehe.

man, i think this really is better, rids the output of the ultra-boomy sound pag metal film cap gamit ko.

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Arise!

silicon tonebender MK2 Pro and Silicon FF in one box. ginawa ko para isang bitbitan na lang.

i made a side by side comparison nung Germ bender at nung Sili bender. magkaiba pala. smoother yung Germ, raspy yung Silicon.

nest stop: mosrite, hehe.

Offline kune_km

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
Arise!

silicon tonebender MK2 Pro and Silicon FF in one box. ginawa ko para isang bitbitan na lang.

i made a side by side comparison nung Germ bender at nung Sili bender. magkaiba pala. smoother yung Germ, raspy yung Silicon.

wow!!!

:-o

soundclip sir?
To GOD be the Glory!!!<br /><br /><br /><br />http://smileyicons.net/s/225.gif

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
Arise!

CLIPS or it didn't happen!  :lol: Abangan ko Mosrite mo ha. Tip: Try to put a lot of low end for your creations.  :-D

wow!!!

soundclip sir?

onga

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 02:49:33 AM »

Hey pallas! Sold the fromunda, but now it is back with me!
Almost sold the Fuzz50, but chose to retain it, and now has a permanent
place in my pedal board.

Stacking it with the rat, can get me Wilco fuzz tones, ala the theologians solo! Yes!

The Fromunda is great also for Wilco's I'm the one who loves you and Neil Young Riffs!

I have a fulltone 69 now but i am selling it.  :)

The fromunda rocks i tell you. Pag di lang kami umuwi at di expecting si kumander i would still have that puppy.

The fuzz50 simply sounds awesome chained with a delay. I wasted lots of time just me and my usual chain suspects conjuring slow swampy psychofuzz beerfest tones.

Glad someone is enjoying what im missin 8-)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:46 AM »

Bueno Durham Electronics.....BUENO 8-)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
wow!!!

soundclip sir?

CLIPS or it didn't happen!  :lol: Abangan ko Mosrite mo ha. Tip: Try to put a lot of low end for your creations.  :-D

onga

hehe, yun ang prob. i dont have yet a decent recorder (sorry poor lang :D), pag sa CP lang di ubra, parang tunog utot lang eh :D iba pa rin pag personal. yung FF is basic silicon Fuzz Face lang. mejo muddy, ewan ko, im playing on a cheap solid state amp pa lang (ipon muna konti at tubes naman nyehehe). it has its basic staple of bass pa rin (prominent when i hit an E chord) pero di masyadong woofy. The TB MK2 is tighter, i used a different output cap value para di masyadong ma-bass (the Si FF too, i changed the ouput cap).

------------------

kagabi tinapos ko tong isa pang Si FF, the Princess Fuzz. i added a pregain control to shape the signal that will hit the circuit. i think this is great pag tamad akong galawin yung volume knob ng guitar when i want a lower gain fuzz without sacrificing the gain control nung FF circuit. it has a mid control too, parang added boost lang and further shaping ng tone. i think this one is really really versatile.

kakatuwa kasi before i was into ultra high gain/compressed sounds, therefore keeping me buried in the mix. rolling back the guitar volume or easing on the gain pot pala makes wonders. parang break-up tones pero clear. i can't attest how good these creations are, pero these simply bring a big fat smile on my face, whether low gain or full gain.

--------------------

ive finished na the Mosrite circuit. basic circuit lang, pero octaves are there when using the neck pick up. im under the impression na parang TB MK2 lang din to somewhat. idk, maybe my ears are just tired.

the enclosures are unpainted and sticker lang talaga yan. once makakita ako ng matinong paint, kulayan ko.

building them is fun. debugging isnt. lately parang nagiging confident na ko sa builds ko, unlike before i wasnt expecting each circuit to work agad.

"your hobby is really expensive," reklamo ng nanay ko hehe.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:54:21 AM by Musikerochan »

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2009, 11:02:11 AM »
@ Gas God Turi,

what is your opinion regarding low gain fuzzes (i.e., Ge FFs and the like), Silicon vs. Ge sound etc.? im thinking kasi of tweaking an FF to lower its gain, i dont know how much fuzz afficionados like low gainers.

o talagang high gain talaga type ng madame?

----------------------------------

and update, yung Si FF dun sa Hagaren Fuzz ko is wala na. pinalitan ko ng another low gain fuzz, not based sa FF/TB/FR. and wow, clarity! sarap idale ng rhythm parts!

the Si FF is pulled out for "operation" hehe.