hulika

Author Topic: Two Rock Crystal Clear Guitar Cable -- the best so far  (Read 37749 times)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
Two Rock Crystal Clear Guitar Cable -- the best so far
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:21:36 AM »
I just got my 8 foot Two Rock Crystal Clear Guitar Cable.  It cost a whooping P6,500.  I compared it to my chopped up Klotz La Grange 10 foot cable which by the way is available at Audiophile and worth it for the price.

I really did not believe that Guitar Cables mattered much until I had tried George Ls, Apogee and the Klotz.   But Two Rock, at least up to this point in time, lives up to the hype.  My Clean sound is just clearer but not sterile.  Parang nabuhay ang clean sound ng gitara ko.  Plus, there is now much added dimension in the sound.  My Overdrive sound just got meaner, as if nadagdagan ng overdrive/distortion -- maybe because more signal is hitting the amp's front end.  

For me, it was money well spent.  A word of caution, this only works for me because I plug straight into my amps.  But... if you have tons of effects on your pedal board and love multiFX, it might not matter much.

Offline bunny rabbit

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:31:32 AM »
some soundclips would be nice.  :D
girls like guys with fast fingers...

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:40:40 AM »
i use lots of effects but am also concerned bout what cable i use from fx out to amp :D  Never heard of rock crystal cables....any link 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:43:46 AM »
Sorry.  I dont believe sound clips can catch the dimensionality (lambot factor) of the cable.  I have said before that unless you have a Mark Levinson or Krell D/A converter, sound clips will fall short.  Not to mention that I am not set up to record.  I will just say that all things being equal on my setup.  It does make a noticeable difference.

By the way, one downside to the cable is that it is bit stiff -- hard to coil.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:49:39 AM »
Pallas,

Two Rock Amplification. www.two-rock.com.

They are suppose to make the best Dumble Clones on the market.  And they are also very expensive amps, US$2,500 and up.  So when it comes to cables, I think these guys know what a guitar cable should sound like.

Offline tolits

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:04:57 AM »
Wala yan sa cable ko, RG59, di lang pang audio, pang cable TV pa! :evil:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 08:15:40 AM »
Quote from: tolits

haha nasubukan ko na rin gamitin dati yang RG59 sa sobrang kahapitan nung high school pa ako

Offline tolits

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19:36 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
Quote from: tolits

haha nasubukan ko na rin gamitin dati yang RG59 sa sobrang kahapitan nung high school pa ako

AT least 7 pesos lang per meter, he he he

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 08:19:38 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Sorry.  I dont believe sound clips can catch the dimensionality (lambot factor) of the cable.  I have said before that unless you have a Mark Levinson or Krell D/A converter, sound clips will fall short.  Not to mention that I am not set up to record.  I will just say that all things being equal on my setup.  It does make a noticeable difference.

In that case, you're gonna have to organize a cable shootout. ;-)

Having used George L's in the past, I concur that cables have an impact on tone (whether it's the effect that you need or not is the more important question). But the flexibility and durability of cables for coiling and gigging is more important to me so I sold my George L's.

For home use, I still use a telephone gtr cable from Raon. I find it rolls off the highs just right for a nice warm tone. :-)  Plus it's tidy and safe for kids who keep running around me when I play.

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 08:37:07 AM »
Deltaslim,

Bakit ka hindi magwireless sa gig kung mas importante ang flexibility and coiling?

Offline kaloyster

• GOLD MEMBER
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 09:12:54 AM »
Deltaslim,

Bakit ka hindi magwireless sa gig kung mas importante ang flexibility and coiling?

*ka-tslak!* woh boy. here we go.
"Bulakenyo"? Then join Bulacan Music Facebook Group!

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 09:18:27 AM »
I'm gassing for a set of Canare's, Wylde and hanggang dream muna na Zaolla. Didn't know Two-Rock makes cables too. That's nice. They have a more wholistic approach to their offerings.

Best I've used that's also locally available is definitely Klotz.

Delta,

Di naman mahirap i-coil yung George L's ah :) I even bought a new pair.
Surf's Up!

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »
Two-Rock Crystal Clear
K & M Analog Designs—Two-Rock amplifiers—are known throughout the world as one of the elite manufacturers of tube amplifiers. Their exquisite creations are synonymous with the finest blackface tones and infamous Dumble overdrive complexity. Their new Crystal Clear instrument cable is built in this tradition of uncompromising quality, clarity, visionary design, and incredible sonic characteristics.

The Two-Rock cable derives its sound first from superior components: the finest Neutrik connectors [which are very sturdy, look great, and sound slightly better than the switchcraft equivalent], 2 conductors of specially treated 18ga oxygen-free solid-core copper, and a Teflon jacket. This is combined in a design that utilizes a floating shield, which aids in passing the signal quietly, with the most volume and accuracy ever offered. Even solid silver cables, over the wide spectrum of players’ needs, have some shortcomings, in comparison. The Two-Rock is notably stiffer than typical cables but still pliable and easy to work with; while it’s purely a function of its design and materials, it does minimize tangles nicely.

Instead of specific frequency spikes, this cable produces a natural and mild curve over the guitar’s range, like the voice, and is devoid of the typical midrange holes that render other cables lifeless. It’s unbelievably warm, musical and transparent, without harsh presence or errant amplitudes that serve to skew perceived response. Pitch definition is phenomenal—you may find yourself fine-tuning your intonation, there’s a terrific volume increase, and transients are exactly as they occur at the fingers. Besides these attributes, notes exist in their own space, with an airy quality normally reserved for high-end audio; this allows the player to hear and feel dramatic variations in pitch and dynamics that previously never reached the amp—this is the definition of an open sound.

Because of its natural midrange, it’s perfect for every style of guitar and performs equally well with chord or lead styles. With a Strat/Tele and my ’67 Deluxe, every little nuance that I’d been trying to squeeze out of the amp finally came to life. And, the pickups that I previously thought had dead areas and not enough punch, sprang forward. Mahogany bodied guitars are a real treat too; their dark tones are not made brighter, but clearer and more distinct.

What this cable won’t do is cater to anyone that needs focus, at the expense of signal delivery—compression. High-gain players may still prefer a cable that is less open and revealing—this is not the best way to reproduce Metallica’s sound. However, if you want more clarity from chords and individual notes, with a highly saturated amp—Bogner, Soldano, ENGL, etc, this cable is probably a quick fix. It’s superior sound is similar, in this case, to the results of scalloping a fingerboard; Vai, Malmsteen, and others have done this to increase clarity and volume in high gain/speed situations.

This cable is sure to appeal to vintage enthusiasts and fans of the finest tones in blues, rock, jazz, and country. I’ve played nearly every lead, from the common to the exotic, and the Two-Rock Crystal Clear instrument cable absolutely has no equal. This acoustically honest cable reveals the guitar’s wood and electronics for the first time, with a level of clarity that represents a huge leap forward in guitar tone…this changes everything. At $149 for 10’ it’s not cheap, but at this level of quality, I’d call it a bargain.

Several cable lengths and configurations are available with appropriate pricing. And, Two-Rock will shortly be introducing their speaker cable with similar performance goals.

Posted a review from one of the publications.  Not sure which one.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 09:27:50 AM »
Quote from: deltaslim
I concur that cables have an impact on tone (whether it's the effect that you need or not is the more important question).

onga. everything between your the pickup and the amp input rolls off a bit of whatever the pickup picked up (parang peter piper). usually high end ang nababawasan. magkakaiba lang ng amount and frequency. the real question is "do you like the way it changed your tone?"

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 09:33:32 AM »
Deltaslim,

Sa gig, it would be nice.  Pero sa bahay??

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 09:37:22 AM »
Quote from: glassjaw_jc
Delta,

Di naman mahirap i-coil yung George L's ah :) I even bought a new pair.

Actually, in the case of George L's, sobrang lakas ng 'memory' ng cables na yan such that they will coil only in one direction and at a certain diameter. For me mahirap gamitin sa gig.

Mukhang nagustuhan mo yung GLs ah?!  Ok pa ba yung binenta ko sa yo? Iba na talaga ang audiohphile na guitarista... mapili!  ;-)

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
Oo naman! kaya ako napabili ng bago eh. hehehe

Pang recording ko lang gagamitin kase dun ko lang naririnig yung difference. Sa band setting, di ko na napapansin yung difference.

Yeah, may memory nga yung cables na yun pero ok lang, at least alam nila direction nila  :lol:
Surf's Up!

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06:18 AM »
oasgomez, how would a wireless system compare to the Two Rock or even Monster Cable/Planet Waves? i'm planning to buy a wireless system din kasi e but i'm not sure if it will be worth it..
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline Ag3nt

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 10:36:52 AM »
bilib ako sa yo, pati cable pinagyayabang mo, tsk, pinanganak ka ba talagang ganyan?

Offline markflo

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
AKO MERON AKO THREE ROCK GUITAR CABLE! SA ILONG MO IPUPLUG...CRYSTAL CLEAR TONES!

hahahahhaa.....corny....zzzzzzzzz
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ag3nt

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:10:32 AM »
Quote from: markflo
AKO MERON AKO THREE ROCK GUITAR CABLE! SA ILONG MO IPUPLUG...CRYSTAL CLEAR TONES!

hahahahhaa.....corny....zzzzzzzzz

hehehehe, masyado maluwag sa ilong nya yan, dapat kasing-kapal ng pvc pipes.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
awat na mga pare ko hehe.. sana wag na maging hate thread tong new thread. let's just take it with a bit more objectivity this time :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markflo

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »
...ayaw...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
For some reason, any comments that Oas writes causes controversy. Hhmm... bakit kaya, hehe :lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 11:34:08 AM »
UY! Meron akong alam na mabibilhan ng TWO ROCK CRYSTAL at mura pa. Sa kanto ng Alvarado and 8th street sa Mc Arthur Park. $10 per crystal. Kung gusto nyo more than TWO ROCK CRYSTAL pedeng 3, 4, or 10 ROCK CRYSTALS. Basta wag lang kayong pahuhuli. Daming Narc don, eh, hehe.

Ayy!!! Mali pala ang crystal na nabibili ko, hehe :lol: