hulika

Author Topic: What you look for in a club amp...  (Read 4797 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
What you look for in a club amp...
« on: May 03, 2006, 04:42:58 AM »
So when we play gigs, we normally want killer amps.  But that can only happen if Exile is the sound system provider.  (And in some cases, even their tube amps get busted.  Tolits has a plethora of them for servicing.)

So what amps do you prefer in a club/bar gig?  Of course, assuming the club cannot afford maintaining a tube amp, what amp model/s would you prefer?

I see that most clubs have a Transtube Bandit.  Anything else you would prefer?  What Fender amps do you like to hook your effects chain to?  I sold my SS Fender Stage 185 a couple of years back and it had a very tube-like feel.  Diba ser tolits?

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 05:06:11 AM »
Dito depende sa promoter. Most of the time kanya kanyang amp nalang dahil usually particular ang mga musikero dito. Problema lang yong buhatan.

Offline markflo

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 05:07:56 AM »
the peavey bandit is a good choice

also, fender stage 100
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 05:15:53 AM »
this is a difficult situation in the philippines i think.. not all venues can provide a great set-up, and not all musicians can bring their own set-up.

IMO, a good SS amp should do, they are very reliable.. right on top of my list would be the peavey bandit II, never lets me down, i have complete trust in it.

the porblem i see is, when you're in practice and you have your own rig going.. its difficult to translate that to a venue with a different setup.. unless swerte na pareho yung amps nyo.. or if you can bring your own amp.

so my vote for the peavey bandit II.

Offline tolits

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 05:38:53 AM »
I literally look for the club amp, minsan wala e. :lol:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 05:51:21 AM »
Quote from: tolits
I literally look for the club amp, minsan wala e. :lol:

Gweilos Palanca?  Freedom Bar?  Hehehe...

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 05:58:15 AM »
Peavey Bandit lang ok na...
o kaya reasonable PA system tsaka DI box pwede na rin.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »
i always bring my own. in gigging, i've never heard of a promoter providing gear. usually musicians bring and setup their own gear.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 06:47:46 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
i always bring my own. in gigging, i've never heard of a promoter providing gear. usually musicians bring and setup their own gear.

Not here man.  One time there was this huge music event here, and there was a multitude of artists in the lineup who had about 15mins each INCLUDING SET-UP TIME.  So what happened?  Some folks who brought their own amps were NOT allowed to set them up onstage because it would take them longer to get them performing.  Great...  :roll:

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »
after ko ma experience laney sa 6UG un palagi gusto ko pero a decent amp with a decent clean sound will do. basta kapag nag dis na hindi sumasabog ung bass fewq
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 07:07:24 AM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

Not here man.  One time there was this huge music event here, and there was a multitude of artists in the lineup who had about 15mins each INCLUDING SET-UP TIME.  So what happened?  Some folks who brought their own amps were NOT allowed to set them up onstage because it would take them longer to get them performing.  Great...  :roll:

Wow. Different pala...even festivals here require bands to setup in 10-15 minutes afterwards. Usually, bands up next setup in advance behind the band currently playing to cut down on setup time and maximize sound check time.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 07:14:26 AM »

Wow. Different pala...even festivals here require bands to setup in 10-15 minutes afterwards. Usually, bands up next setup in advance behind the band currently playing to cut down on setup time and maximize sound check time.

dito bring your own din..swerte nga kung me PA system yung club kaya pati PA system baon namin...

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 07:22:55 AM »
depends on where we play.. but yes usually dala ko amp ko.. minsan yung bassist dala sya ng bass amp nya, sometimes direct sya sa PA.
the drummer brings his cymbals.. we only do this if we're playing in a gig with more than one band..

but if its just us.. we bring everything..

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 07:29:54 AM »
Quote from: markflo
the peavey bandit is a good choice

also, fender stage 100

i used fender100s when i was playing at church, i used to have a shredmaster back then and i felt guilty playing on stage :( . But it sounded sweet and holy to me :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 07:30:09 AM »

+1 sa UP fairs back in the day ganyan na e....  Another reason why the practicalities of a regular gig in manila is far removed from the ideal situation for ultimate tonal bliss, both of which we enjoy for their own merits but we know are not the same thing.

if they happen to have a bandit or marshall transtube, happy na ako dun because it can be a LOT worse. otoh, i've used many tube fenders in-house sa club.  pero pag nagkasarapan, kahit Roto lang ang amps ok lang e.  

but due to the small size and audiences of clubs in manila, and many of them not providing good equipment, i think it's a good idea to bring your own amp na talaga if you don't know what to expect.

nice useful thread, btw.

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 08:37:34 AM »
i just want a clear sounding amp. kahit di masyado malakas, kelangan lang marinig ako.
Surf's Up!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 08:49:48 AM »
i prefer the newer red panel peaveys to the older blue panel ones. the old ones are pretty loud but sound like a$$. marshall valvestates are ok too. if the parking lot isnt too far from the venue and konti lang bands sa lineup i think i'd lug along my amp.

hmmmm... san ba nakakabili ng trolley?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala
i prefer the newer red panel peaveys to the older blue panel ones. the old ones are pretty loud but sound like a$$. marshall valvestates are ok too. if the parking lot isnt too far from the venue and konti lang bands sa lineup i think i'd lug along my amp.

hmmmm... san ba nakakabili ng trolley?

Ace hardware or if you want a pink one, National Bookstore.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »
i used a plywould board.. covered it in vinyl.. put 4 heavy duty amp wheets on it.. bam!!.. amp trolley!  8)

Offline polarized06

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 09:59:00 AM »
the best ive used so far was a marshall halfstack....the worse was the PA system...i hate it....i prefer clubs with two amps!
....and this world...will be shaken by a whisper...

Massacridia at Youtube!

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 10:02:10 AM »
Quote from: polarized06
the best ive used so far was a marshall halfstack....the worse was the PA system...i hate it....i prefer clubs with two amps!

i hate when they ask you to plug into the PA system! kaya pag di ko dala yung amp ko i bring my v-amp. still doesnt sound like a real amp pero much better than going straight into the PA.

Offline polarized06

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »
i hate PA's share ko lng ha....nung tumugtog kami sa vega J cafe....isa lng amp so the other guitarist shoud plug into the pa system...samin pa nagagalit ung techie kuno.....dahil 2 kami gitarista "sakit daw kami sa ulo" "ang ingay ingay blah blah" bastusin tlga! man! sana pla di sya tumanggap ng production na puro metal bands tutugtog....usually 2 gitarista nun...he can only provide one amp and yet he's complaining about bands having 2 guitars....tapos lahat ng banda pinagsasabihan nya....sorry OT lng....hahaha  :twisted:
....and this world...will be shaken by a whisper...

Massacridia at Youtube!

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »

nye, baliktad tayo.

sa akin the best kapag PA system or amp na may fx loop or preamp in or keyboard amp (basta full-range ang speakers).

pinakaayaw ko na amps marshall. lalo na yung valvestate series.

mapili kasi ang podxtl. yun ang downside niya.
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What you look for in a club amp...
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 03:15:15 PM »
So what amps do you prefer in a club/bar gig?  Of course, assuming the club cannot afford maintaining a tube amp, what amp model/s would you prefer?

I see that most clubs have a Transtube Bandit.  Anything else you would prefer?

I think amps with at least 12" speaker are good enough for most musicians performing close to each other onstage, however, many sound technicians in Philippines don't know how to mic guitar amps properly.

They usually sling the mic cable around the amp's top handle and let a handheld cardioid mic dangle or hang upside down infront of the amp's speaker cabinet. A good way is to use a boom mic stand.

Another no-no is connecting the amp's line out to the mixer with extra-long (more than 20') unbalanced guitar cable. The right way is by using mic cable for balanced line out, and with direct box for unbalanced line out.

Another mistake is using guitar cables as speaker cables. Also, using speaker cables as guitar cables is wrong. I've seen this a hundred times done by bands and music store sales people too.

:roll:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 03:30:18 PM »
i hate PA's share ko lng ha....nung tumugtog kami sa vega J cafe....isa lng amp so the other guitarist shoud plug into the pa system...samin pa nagagalit ung techie kuno.....dahil 2 kami gitarista "sakit daw kami sa ulo" "ang ingay ingay blah blah" bastusin tlga! man! sana pla di sya tumanggap ng production na puro metal bands tutugtog....usually 2 gitarista nun...he can only provide one amp and yet he's complaining about bands having 2 guitars....tapos lahat ng banda pinagsasabihan nya....sorry OT lng....hahaha  :twisted:

I think bands with two guitarists should always bring an extra amp. Opinyon lang ito ha...  :wink:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty