hulika

Author Topic: What's the advantages of using an American Fender Telecaster  (Read 2962 times)

Offline narcosis

Joe Strummer used one from the start of his career until the day he died so I am curious. Anyone here own one coz I am dreaming of buying that axe.
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
What's the advantages of using an American Fender Telecaster
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:18:59 PM »
I'm also looking at buying a cheapo repro. I'm told that the China Rockstar guitars are solid wood. Pero kahit plywood sya, pwede na din, P3.5 k lang naman.  Not so much for the sound, more for the look...the real tele is too muddy for me. Kinda like a Les Paul only...ummm...muddier IMHO. If I can mod the bridge pickup and make it sound like a strat, that would be great.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:28:41 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
the real tele is too muddy for me. Kinda like a Les Paul only...ummm...muddier IMHO.

are you sure bro?  usually the tele is associated with a bright, twang-y tone, especially the bridge pickup :D   a muddy tele is more of the exception to the rule :D

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
walang advantage. though americans (and some here) might argue differently. there might be siguro if you prefer alder to poplar (are MIMs still made of poplar?) and want 22 frets.

disadvantages. (sa american standard ha):
1. yung bridge has weird measurements and if you want to convert it to vintage specs mahirap maghanap ng drop in replacements that dont require you to drill new holes throught the body.

2. yung stock bridge pickup doesnt have the baseplate that gives the thick twang.

3. yung bridge plate is brass, yung saddles are steel. the old traditional tele bridge is constructed with a steel bridge plate and brass saddles (3 peices instead of 6). not sure if this has a significant impact on tone but old tele fogeys claim it has to built like they used to...

for the money, you're better off with an MIJ '62ri which is alder din and comes with texas specials which sound better than the stock Am. Std. pickups. yun nga lang 21 frets lang. its about half the price of an Am. Std. pa.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:39:53 PM »
I'm also looking at buying a cheapo repro. I'm told that the China Rockstar guitars are solid wood. Pero kahit plywood sya, pwede na din, P3.5 k lang naman.  Not so much for the sound, more for the look...the real tele is too muddy for me. Kinda like a Les Paul only...ummm...muddier IMHO. If I can mod the bridge pickup and make it sound like a strat, that would be great.

wow. what tele is this? muddier than a paul?!  :shock:

if you want a tele with a bridge pickup that sounds like a strat's, the Am. Std. is perfect. the traditional tele bridge tone has a lot more mid presence than a strat. more balls so to speak. sort of like a P90 with a bit less output.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
the real tele is too muddy for me. Kinda like a Les Paul only...ummm...muddier IMHO.

are you sure bro?  usually the tele is associated with a bright, twang-y tone, especially the bridge pickup :D   a muddy tele is more of the exception to the rule :D

Sa tenga ko lang naman bro...a strat is brighter.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Chito

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 09:45:55 PM »
My main guitar was a pre-1998 MIJ Fender 62 Reissue Tele for quite a number of years. This is the one with the basswood body and crappy pups instead of the alder body and Texas Specials. I replaced the neck pickup with a Lace Sensor. And although it was a noisy,  I kept the bridge pickup because I like the snarl and bite I get out of it which is really typical of the sound coming from tele bridge pickups. My PRS Soapbar SE has since replaced it as my main axe although since I just got a Lace Sensor T-100 and T-150, maybe I'll be using it more again.

I don't exactly understand what the question is as far as "advantages" in using one. I don't think there are really advantages to using one type of guitar to another. I think it's more of a preference. I think if you think a guitar will suit your own needs, then go for it. Advice can only go so far, in the end, it's you who can ultimately say whether its the right guitar for you or not. For one thing there's always someone with GAS so if you dont' like it then sell it!! :)

Offline darnel

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 10:55:20 PM »
When i wanted to buy my first electric guitar, gusto ko sana American made Tele kaso mejo mahal talaga... then naexposed ako sa mga Japanese counterparts (tokai, grecos, fender japan, squiers) parang mas ok pa sila compared sa American tele na pinapangarap ko sa Perfect Pitch nuon

parang wala naman true advantage.. If there is, cguro sa hardware lng, wood types, pickups, bridge assembly etc.. pero depende talaga sa specific guitar.. a number of people have high praises for the Japanese clones even choosing them over the american fenders...

If you cant hear the difference, why spend the difference? :)
Notes are clever ways of getting from one silence to another

Offline markflo

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 11:21:08 PM »
MIM's are actually made of alder na rin. I read somewhere that MIM's and MIA's are nearly identical when it comes to parts. The neck and the body all come from the same factory in Corona, CA. The only difference are the electronics. Siyempre mas high end ang gamit sa MIA's ...also, of course, where it was assembled.

Quote from: nathanmanansala
walang advantage. though americans (and some here) might argue differently. there might be siguro if you prefer alder to poplar (are MIMs still made of poplar?) and want 22 frets.

disadvantages. (sa american standard ha):
1. yung bridge has weird measurements and if you want to convert it to vintage specs mahirap maghanap ng drop in replacements that dont require you to drill new holes throught the body.

2. yung stock bridge pickup doesnt have the baseplate that gives the thick twang.

3. yung bridge plate is brass, yung saddles are steel. the old traditional tele bridge is constructed with a steel bridge plate and brass saddles (3 peices instead of 6). not sure if this has a significant impact on tone but old tele fogeys claim it has to built like they used to...

for the money, you're better off with an MIJ '62ri which is alder din and comes with texas specials which sound better than the stock Am. Std. pickups. yun nga lang 21 frets lang. its about half the price of an Am. Std. pa.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 11:54:05 PM »
tama alder na ang std mim strat and tele... i think it started during late 02'.... the hardware of mim is inferior compared w/ their US counterpart....

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:49 AM »
I have a MIM 00 Standard Tele. It only has 21 frets.

There is really no advantage to owning one. Just a like a car, a Prado will take you to Makati the same way a beat up Corolla would. But in what car will give you a more comfortable ride? In what car would make girls give you a second glance?

I bought my tele not because it plays easier nor to impress girls. I bought for its sound, its legacy and its flexibility. There are whole range of Tele models to choose from. The combinations of woods, necks, and electronics are almost limitless.

You could never own too many guitars.......  :wink:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 08:09:39 AM »

I dunno. the tele is known as one of the brightest sounding guitars hence the tag,"tele twang." in fact, one of the other guitars that closely rivals the tele twang are the reverend and lucite guitars. some of their models aren't even made of wood. also, even with a mahogany body, the tele still has a brighter tone because of the smaller body, and single coils. all in all, by no means does a tele sound like a les paul.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 09:12:10 AM »
Quote from: farseer
tama alder na ang std mim strat and tele... i think it started during late 02'.... the hardware of mim is inferior compared w/ their US counterpart....

i thought the difference was:

MIA = Made in America by MExicans
MIM = Made in Mexico by Mexicans

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 09:14:06 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
by no means does a tele sound like a les paul.

how about a Tele custom with dual humbuckers? surely may resemblance sa LP? and a thinline as well maybe?

tele's a re cool.. but not everyone can pull-off the tele look!  8)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 09:33:12 AM »
if you really must buy an MIA tele, get the highway one instead of the standard. its built closer to vintage specs and has a thicker neck too.  :)

Offline narcosis

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »
wow thanks for your insights guys. I was specifically looking for the brittle tone and also the twang. I am mostly influenced by the sound of the Clash, Sublime and John frusciante's tone kaya I though a tele would be a great pick.  :D
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 09:37:32 AM »
Quote from: jack in a vox

how about a Tele custom with dual humbuckers? surely may resemblance sa LP? and a thinline as well maybe?

haha.. dream ko tele (next to a les paul).. but as matters arose, nabili ko am strat.. ugh..

mij 72 tele, dual humbuckers

Offline narcosis

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 09:40:05 AM »
Any Idea How much an american tele might cost here ? A friend  thought  seeing it sa Perfect Pitch for about 14K yata? anyone can validate?
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 10:13:29 AM »
parang mali yata kung 14k. last year nasa 78k yung brand new na american standard sa PP e.

Offline meashuggahr

• Veteran Member
Re: What's the advantages of using an American Fender Teleca
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 10:44:29 AM »
Quote from: narcosis
Joe Strummer used one from the start of his career until the day he died so I am curious. Anyone here own one coz I am dreaming of buying that axe.

for me the major advantage/disadvantage or a tele am std is it's value.
high price pero high resale din:)

my advice, if ur looking for a tele MIA. look for cheap 2ndhand ones.

tingin ko pag tanda ko tele lagi ko kandong....hehe

:D

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »
Quote from: teleclem
Quote from: jack in a vox

haha.. dream ko tele (next to a les paul).. but as matters arose, nabili ko am strat.. ugh..

mij 72 tele, dual humbuckers

the MIMs are heaven sent 8) I LOVE MINE :D

[/img]
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 11:00:56 AM »
there wasn't a MIM and squier tele that ever came close to the feel of the MIA tele that i tried once. i still have to look into MIJs and lawsuit teles. but if those don't even give me that feel, then i'll end my search and kill my GAS for a tele.

p.s. im a les paul kinda guy but would love to have that twang when i need it. hence, i don't wanna spend that much for a tele.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
Quote from: fretburner
there wasn't a MIM and squier tele that ever came close to the feel of the MIA tele that i tried once. i still have to look into MIJs and lawsuit teles. but if those don't even give me that feel, then i'll end my search and kill my GAS for a tele.

p.s. im a les paul kinda guy but would love to have that twang when i need it. hence, i don't wanna spend that much for a tele.

there are bad apples on the MIM stock and there are bad apples on the MIAs as well. There are awesome MIMs/MIKs out there you just have to keep lookin for it. Yun nga lang limited yata stock jan :(
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline kawal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »
swabeng neck, panalong tone, at ang pinaka-importante, tha twang!!!
Hindi dapat nakakapagod mag-Philmusic.

Offline fretburner

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
Quote from: pallas

there are bad apples on the MIM stock and there are bad apples on the MIAs as well. There are awesome MIMs/MIKs out there you just have to keep lookin for it. Yun nga lang limited yata stock jan :(

could be. funny thing is that i was into 5 gcs and 2 samashs and i kept running into these "bad apple" MIMs and squiers. the neck of an MIA tele is probably the best neck fender made.
"We all come in from the cold
We come down from the wire
'Nd everybody warms themselves to a different fire..."